• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power - November 2009

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I didn't see a thread for this month, but maybe I'm dumb. Lock if old.

Cover: Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games

REVIEW SCORES

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days - 9.0
Ju-On: The Grudge - 6.0
Spyborgs - 7.5
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Wii) - 7.0
The Beatles: Rock Band - 9.0
Mini Ninjas (DS) - 6.0
Scribblenauts - 9.0
TMNT: Smash Up - 7.5
Dead Space Extraction - 8.0
NBA 2k10 (Wii) - 6.0
Hero's Saga - Laevatein Tactics - 7.0
A Boy and His Blob - 8.5
Spore Hero - 7.0
A Witch's Tale - 4.0
Naruto Shippuden: Ninja Destiny 2 - 7.0
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (DS) - 8.0
Guitar Hero 5 - 8.0
Spore Hero Arena - 5.0
Tornado Outbreak - 6.5
Dirt 2 - 4.5
Family Fun Football - 4.5
MySims Agents - 7.0
Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes - 8.5
Mini Ninjas (Wii) - 7.5

next issue: New Super Mario Bros Wii

More details if it seems like anyone cares.

Thanks, Ill definitely be there.
Mike M said:
A game based on The Grudge? That's *how* many years too late now?
Probably way too late over here, but its a pretty old movie in japan I believe. Its release was akin to the videogame release of "The Thing" back on xbox and ps2. Just trying to make an adaptation to an older flick.

Oxymoron

MoeB said:
I'm getting sick of this scoring format. Can we use scientific notation instead?

Sure, here you go:

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days - 9.0 x 10^0
Ju-On: The Grudge - 6.0 x 10^0
Spyborgs - 7.5 x 10^0
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Wii) - 7.0 x 10^0
The Beatles: Rock Band - 9.0 x 10^0
Mini Ninjas (DS) - 6.0 x 10^0
Scribblenauts - 9.0 x 10^0
TMNT: Smash Up - 7.5 x 10^0
Dead Space Extraction - 8.0 x 10^0
NBA 2k10 (Wii) - 6.0 x 10^0
Hero's Saga - Laevatein Tactics - 7.0 x 10^0
A Boy and His Blob - 8.5 x 10^0
Spore Hero - 7.0 x 10^0
A Witch's Tale - 4.0 x 10^0
Naruto Shippuden: Ninja Destiny 2 - 7.0 x 10^0
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (DS) - 8.0 x 10^0
Guitar Hero 5 - 8.0 x 10^0
Spore Hero Arena - 5.0 x 10^0
Tornado Outbreak - 6.5 x 10^0
Dirt 2 - 4.5 x 10^0
Family Fun Football - 4.5 x 10^0
MySims Agents - 7.0 x 10^0
Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes - 8.5 x 10^0
Mini Ninjas (Wii) - 7.5 x 10^0

Htown

GoldandBlue said:
Any interesting bits of info from the Shantae article?
I don't know, what do you want to know? It's a long ass article and I don't actually care all that much about Shantae. GAF is the first place I even heard of the game.

MoeB

Oxymoron said:
Sure, here you go:

Quote:
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days - 9.0 x 10^0
Ju-On: The Grudge - 6.0 x 10^0
Spyborgs - 7.5 x 10^0
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Wii) - 7.0 x 10^0
The Beatles: Rock Band - 9.0 x 10^0
Mini Ninjas (DS) - 6.0 x 10^0
Scribblenauts - 9.0 x 10^0
TMNT: Smash Up - 7.5 x 10^0
Dead Space Extraction - 8.0 x 10^0
NBA 2k10 (Wii) - 6.0 x 10^0
Hero's Saga - Laevatein Tactics - 7.0 x 10^0
A Boy and His Blob - 8.5 x 10^0
Spore Hero - 7.0 x 10^0
A Witch's Tale - 4.0 x 10^0
Naruto Shippuden: Ninja Destiny 2 - 7.0 x 10^0
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (DS) - 8.0 x 10^0
Guitar Hero 5 - 8.0 x 10^0
Spore Hero Arena - 5.0 x 10^0
Tornado Outbreak - 6.5 x 10^0
Dirt 2 - 4.5 x 10^0
Family Fun Football - 4.5 x 10^0
MySims Agents - 7.0 x 10^0
Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes - 8.5 x 10^0
Mini Ninjas (Wii) - 7.5 x 10^0

now we're talking. thread saved.

Htown

Alright lemme give this Shantae article a summary.

Shantae: Risky's Revenge is the first of 3 episodic DSiWare games, will launch later this year
not based on any of the previous unreleased prototypes - ground up for DS
Shantae attacks with hair or belly dances
Risky comes back for vengeance after defeat in the first game
Rottytops (athletic zombie?) returns, we get to meet her brothers
inspired by 8bit and 16bit platformers, Zelda II, Castlevania II, Rygar and Super Metroid mentioned by name
player fights monsters in overworld to find labyrinths that contain puzzles, treasures and bosses
magic items don't disappear when used, they drain and can be refilled
there are now save rooms, Shantae doesn't have limited lives
Risky's revenge takes place in areas around scuttle town; desert, caves, "underwater mermaid land"
above ground areas sound open world-y, with "no forced path" and prowling monsters and storytelling
labyrinths have more traditional platform/action game stuff
Shantae can morph into monkey or elephant, also into a mermaid
transformations can be combined, each form has an upgradeable special move
unlock new moves with gems

Top screen is gameplay, bottom screen is inventory
inventory will carry over to later episodes
first episode has an intro, three chapters and conclusion
Game length: comparable to Zelda: LTTP's quest for three pendants with a cliffhanger after you beat Agahnim

There, you happy now?

Taxman

Sweet, I've been waiting for somebody to make this thread. I've had the mag myself for like 2-3 days now, and was getting impatient.:lol

I'm thrilled at the Blob score. Also, I'm suprised at the Kingdom Hearts score. I guess it's better than I thought it was going to be.

Htown

Anybody care about Bonk?

Bonk: Brink of Extinction is going to be coming to Wiiware.
30 levels split over 3 worlds
2D platformer with 3D graphics
Bonk has six transformations, including fire, ice, and ramming through walls
Drop-in, drop-out 2 player coop through the main game - local OR online
DLC - three modes: a second adventure mode and two multiplayer modes
there are some secret areas you can only reach in coop

Already have some summaries typed up, so I'll post some I wrote.

TMNT Smash Up Review Summary:

The game is much more of a clone of Brawl than you would think it would be (which is not surprising considering Game Arts helped develop Brawl). If you ever imagined the Brawl announcer saying "Leonardo!" well your wish has come true. Even the character select screen and fighting introductions are very similiar. This is not a bad thing, but since it's so close to Brawl, you can't help but directly comparing it to Brawl, and Smash Up pales in comparison. Brawl beats out Smash Up in content and unlockables, which was one of the main appeals of Brawl. TMNT Smash Up's roster is also fairly weak in size and compelling characters (common complaint). The controls are nice and tight and the stages are inventive and interactive. There's also a few moves that Brawl characters don't have, like wall-jumping and swinging off poles. You can play with any controller type. They didn't review the online. T

A Boy and His Blob Review Summary:

They spend a lot of time talking about how beautiful and atmospheric the game is. Can't really summarize this, because I wouldn't do it justice. They also praise the enchanting musical score that further helps set the mood. They describe it as a "cartoon come to life." They refer to the game as refreshing and that it feels like unlike anything else released in the last 20 years. They love the concept of feeding a blob jelly beans to transform it into useful tools. There's no life meter, no lives counter, no level names, no voiceovers, no script, no dialogue and no savescreen (it autosaves). This could be detrimental in some games, but in BaHB, it works because the story is convincingly told through its beautiful animation. They compare the relationship between the blob with the relationship of Yorda and the protagonist in ICO for PS2. Another word they use to describe the game is challenging. The game has 80 levels and finding all the hidden treasures and conquering the bonus levels is no easy task. The final word they use to describe the game is fun.

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Review Summary:

The game retains the core elements of it's console games, while introducing a few tweaks that help it stand out. The publishers greatest offering to date. The game does a good job of bringing new comers up to speed, in terms of story, and we get to learn what happened behind the scenes in Chain of memories. The adventure is divided into days, and at the start of each one, you're assigned a mission. These range from reconnaissance to hunting certain types of Heartless, and they break the quests down to suit portable gaming. The music is good, but some of it's recycled, but they reiterate that its good and effective. The complaint that they have is that the game takes a while to pick up steam. The first few hours are extremely easy, and the combat seems repetitive as a result. However, the difficulty does ramp up and you're forced to take advantage of all your abilities. There is a lot of content, and up to 4 players can participate in multiplayer, which is akin to the cooperative and competitive aspects of Zelda: Four Swords. They're not as fun as Zelda, but they arent tacked on. Local wireless only =(.

The Nightsky preview is fairly short...

The game is about rolling a boll from one end of a level to another. Your path is littered with obstacles to overcome, which you use the laws of physics to do so. The game uses multiple sorts of contraptions to achieve this such as staeboards, windmills, pendulums, etc. You can also alter physics in one of three ways, at certain points: boosting the ball's speed, increasing the ball's friction, or by inverting gravity. There's also interactive objects to trigger in the game, such as cannons and pinball flippers. They praised the ambience and the game will feature a soundtrack from avantgarde composer Chris Schlarb.

I also have all the Darkside Chronicles screens squeezed into one file, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post that.

GWX

Htown said:
Anybody care about Bonk?

Bonk: Brink of Extinction is going to be coming to Wiiware.
30 levels split over 3 worlds
2D platformer with 3D graphics
Bonk has six transformations, including fire, ice, and ramming through walls
Drop-in, drop-out 2 player coop through the main game - local OR online
DLC - three modes: a second adventure mode and two multiplayer modes
there are some secret areas you can only reach in coop

I loved the original Bonk games on TG-16, but the new game looks so ugly that is hard to get excited :/

I even liked the PS2/GC remake look, but this? No way, just like the new Adventure Island that came out early this year.

Rush2thestart said:
I also have all the Darkside Chronicles screens squeezed into one file, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post that.
Nope. Can't post any kind of scans. Unless they're ads I think.

GWX said:
I loved the original Bonk games on TG-16, but the new game looks so ugly that is hard to get excited :/

I even liked the PS2/GC remake look, but this? No way, just like the new Adventure Island that came out early this year.
Im pretty much in the same boat with you. It looks really, umm, incomplete.

ethelred

Could someone post review write-ups of Hero's Saga and Might & Magic?

Gunloc said:
Why did they score A Witch's Tale so low?

Probably because Hitmaker is an absolutely awful developer, one would assume.

Volcynika

ethelred said:

I'd go with this, considering I think they were behind Dragoneer's Aira and some other game I can't recall.

RPGamer said it was easier than Rhapsody. That I cannot comprehend.

ethelred said:
I'm aware of Hit Maker's dubious reputation.

I was just wondering if it was just the design of the game that contributed to the score, or if there are any bugs/glitches/etc.

J-Rock

Banned
Htown said:
A Boy and His Blob - 8.5

Rush2thestart said:

They spend a lot of time talking about how beautiful and atmospheric the game is. Can't really summarize this, because I wouldn't do it justice. They also praise the enchanting musical score that further helps set the mood. They describe it as a "cartoon come to life." They refer to the game as refreshing and that it feels like unlike anything else released in the last 20 years. They love the concept of feeding a blob jelly beans to transform it into useful tools. There's no life meter, no lives counter, no level names, no voiceovers, no script, no dialogue and no savescreen (it autosaves). This could be detrimental in some games, but in BaHB, it works because the story is convincingly told through its beautiful animation. They compare the relationship between the blob with the relationship of Yorda and the protagonist in ICO for PS2. Another word they use to describe the game is challenging. The game has 80 levels and finding all the hidden treasures and conquering the bonus levels is no easy task. The final word they use to describe the game is fun.

Nice! I can't wait to play this.

AniHawk

ethelred said:

In addition to this, the studio was having problems with employing their employees at the time this game was being made.

A Boy and His Blob sounds wonderful.

Why is A Boy and His Blob coming out at the worst possible time of the year? The game looks fucking amazing but it's going to get buried like Beyond Good & Evil or any other unfortunately released title.

AniHawk

jaundicejuice said:
Why is A Boy and His Blob coming out at the worst possible time of the year? The game looks fucking amazing but it's going to get buried like Beyond Good & Evil or any other unfortunately released title.

It would have been buried at any other time of the year. Just look at abysmal Klonoa sales and weep.

billy.sea

Banned
wow my interest of A Boy & His Blob gone from "it looks good" to "can't wait to play it".
The reference to ICO makes me so excited.

The game won't sell though and we all knew it. Let's hope they can market the game along side New Super Mario Bros. as a complementary.

GWX said:

This is why I'm glad I'm not a graphics whore, Adventure Island TB was a lot of fun and Bonk sounds like it's shaping up nicely too. Oh well, your loss!

botticus

ethelred said:
Could someone post review write-ups of Hero's Saga and Might & Magic?
Hero's Saga:
Valhalla Gauge attacks aren't very well balanced, can very easily turn the tide of a battle no matter how well you strategize.
Worth it for genre fans - good stage design, nice script

Might & Magic:
Falling block/turn-bases strategy battles are original, deep and intuitive
Overhead exploration parts not as enjoyable (predetermined movement)
Includes leveling up, character customization, and side quests
Rotating cast of lead characters
Uneven difficulty curve (hard bosses/mindless battles)

GWX

nincompoop said:
This is why I'm glad I'm not a graphics whore, Adventure Island TB was a lot of fun and Bonk sounds like it's shaping up nicely too. Oh well, your loss!

Well, I'm am not either, but the art is bad. But if the gameplay is good, I don't know why not... WiiWare games should have demos, thought :/

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Blob's not my cup of tea, but it sounds really fresh and the execution seems solid.

Willenium

Rush2thestart said:

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Review Summary:

The adventure is divided into days, and at the start of each one, you're assigned a mission.

why the hell are so many ds rpgs laid out like this?
the world ends with you
smt: devil survivor
this one
hell, even fft: a2 and suikoden tierkries had days, but in less irritating ways. why can't i just wander around a world map anymore :( golden sun DS, save me from this hell!

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Willenium said:
why the hell are so many ds rpgs laid out like this?
the world ends with you
smt: devil survivor
this one
hell, even fft: a2 and suikoden tierkries had days, but in less irritating ways. why can't i just wander around a world map anymore :( golden sun DS, save me from this hell!
Probably because dividing the game into "days" is an easy solution to making the game portable friendly.

Willenium

grandjedi6 said:
Probably because dividing the game into "days" is an easy solution to making the game portable friendly.

easier solution: save anywhere. lets poopsockers have their multiple 'spergin save files and lets normal people like me save at a reasonable pace. hell, allow save-anywhere but add in like, suggestion points somewhere like, "you might want to save your game whenever you see a big ol glowing blue dot" and people who want a more traditional save system could treat them as regular save points.

donny2112

Willenium said:
allow save-anywhere but add in like, suggestion points somewhere like, "you might want to save your game whenever you see a big ol glowing blue dot" and people who want a more traditional save system could treat them as regular save points.

Do like Dragon Quest/Castlevania. You can have one save anywhere that gets erased when you restart with permanent saves available in towns/save statues.

batbeg

Rush2thestart said:

80 levels? Is that a typo or for real? I honestly never would've expected such a massive amount of levels.

donny2112

batbeg said:
80 levels? Is that a typo or for real? I honestly never would've expected such a massive amount of levels.

40 levels with
40 more unlockable by finding the three treasures in each of the regular levels

Top Bottom