• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power Reviews: September 2011

Kenka

Code:
Star Fox 64 3D (3DS) – 8.0
Madden NFL 12 (Wii) – 7.0
Driver Renegade (3DS) – 3.0
Frogger 3D (3DS) – 6.5
Deca Sports Extreme (3DS) – 5.0
Camping Mama: Outdoor Adventures (DS) – [B]5.0[/B] (thanks Rukes)
Driver San Francisco (Wii) – 4.5
Kirby Mass Attack (DS) – 8.0
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked (3DS) – 9.0
Solatorobo: Red the Hunter (DS) – 9.0
Bit.Trip Saga (3DS) – 8.0
Bit.Trip Complete (Wii) – 9.0
Gabrielle’s Ghostly Groove 3D (3DS) – 5.5
Face Racers: Photo Finish (3DS) – 4.0

Some major confirmations in this issue. Renegade... wth.

SMT seems like it actually shaped into a very good game. I wasn't expecting such a good score for a 2D remake. Also, no word yet on Starfox' review content.

source : nintendoeverything

Kenka

Takao said:
Cooking Mama got an "E" out of 10?

Unconfirmed score for now. Sounds weird but comments on the page made a remark about it getting a 5.0. I'll change the OP when the score is confirmed.

Kerrby

Banned
I've always said how bad Driver Renegade looks and people argued with me saying it looks wonderful.

3/10,

_woLf

Pleasantly surprised about the SMT Overclocked score. Maybe I'll pick it up.

It's weird, I was really looking forward to Star Fox, but as we get closer and closer to launch, I really just don't know if it's worth $40.

Rukes

The front page still gets no respect
Kenka said:
Unconfirmed score for now. Sounds weird but comments on the page made a remark about it getting a 5.0. I'll change the OP when the score is confirmed.
I got the new issue two days ago, I can confirm it is 5.0

_woLf said:
Pleasantly surprised about the SMT Overclocked score. Maybe I'll pick it up.

It's weird, I was really looking forward to Star Fox, but as we get closer and closer to launch, I really just don't know if it's worth $40.
I just feel the opposite; about Overclocked, I really wanted to get it, but didn't like the VO and have heard it is not in 3D either; and I have DS version, so most probably won't get it.

But since haven't played SF 64, I'll probably get it if it turns out to be good, which seems it is (8.0 is really good)

Why was Bit.Trip Saga (3DS) rated 8.0, but Bit.Trip Complete (Wii) was rated 9.0?

Is it because of the extra stuff included in the Wii one? Or did something go wrong with the 3DS port?

I've never heard of Solatorobo in my life, but after watching a quick glimpse, I need to see what its about. Look like it could be DAMN nice!

Thoraxes

walking fiend said:
I just feel the opposite; about Overclocked, I really wanted to get it, but didn't like the VO and have heard it is not in 3D either; and I have DS version, so most probably won't get it.

But since haven't played SF 64, I'll probably get it if it turns out to be good, which seems it is (8.0 is really good)
Yeah, if you already have it, I wouldn't say it's worth the purchase so much. (unless you're a FATLUS)

For those who don't though, get it ASAP. You should have this game in your library in some form. I'm on the side of liking the VAs too for this. It makes the game feel a little more... real. Lack of 3D (except intro and fusing) isn't too terrible, and honestly, it's definitely not a game that would've benefited from it. If anything, I wish the way they used the screens was reversed, but i'm not complaining.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I've got Driver it looks 'ok'. But so far seems pretty shite.

verbatimo

Third parties and their "quality" 3DS games.

And they wonder, why 3rd party 3DS won't sell. Nothing has changed and it will be like X360 & PS3 vs Wii again, mark my words. 3DS get scraps and Vita gets gold.

I have been long time Nintendo fan, but even I will put my eyes to Vita and it's game list. I'm sure Nintendo's own games are awesome, but most of 3rd party games can drown to swamp.

Takao

Banned
Franklinator said:
What is Face Racers? Cause the name makes it sound horrifying

GrOhV.jpg

Kenka

What do you guys think of these ones ?

zujwvp.jpg
ri8dy1.png
2q0vuva.png

Maybe the effect is not exactly visible but they would be Gold, Silver and Bronze awards.

Gravijah said:
What score did the original Star Fox 64 get? I don't even remember how their reviews worked back then.

Either way, it wouldn't be comparable since the mag now has entirely different staff running it.

verbatimo said:

And they wonder, why 3rd party 3DS won't sell. Nothing has changed and it will be like X360 & PS3 vs Wii again, mark my words. 3DS get scraps and Vita gets gold.

I have been long time Nintendo fan, but even I will put my eyes to Vita and it's game list. I'm sure Nintendo's own games are awesome, but most of 3rd party games can drown to swamp.
Eh, Nintendo's portable systems don't always get off to a blazing start, but that hasn't stopped them from dominating the market for the past few decades. I doubt 3rd parties will pass the 3DS up given Nintendo's history of success in that area. I'd give the system a good year and a half before writing it off. If the library reaches a tipping point like it did on GBA and DS people will forget the lousy launch window pricing and lack of software.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
walking fiend said:
and I have heard Overclocked isn't in 3D, so how did it get 9.0?
maybe because they didn't have their head COMPLETELY up their ass and recognized that it was still a good game at the end of the day

Nuclear Muffin said:
Why was Bit.Trip Saga (3DS) rated 8.0, but Bit.Trip Complete (Wii) was rated 9.0?

Is it because of the extra stuff included in the Wii one? Or did something go wrong with the 3DS port?
man, in some people book's an 8.0 means 'something have gone wrong'? 9.0 is an impressive score, 10.0 is reserved for masterpieces, 8.0 is a great score. Unless I am not familiar with NP scoring and it uses 7.0-10.0 scale

Anyhow, I think Wii extra features are enough to raise 3DS' score from 8.0 to 9.0 if it was included.

maybe because they didn't have their head COMPLETELY up their ass and recognized that it was still a good game at the end of the day
yes, but is it worth spending another $40 if you already have it? I do, and from what I have seen it is not worth spending $40 on it just to get VO and a new chapter.

Gambit

abstract alien said:
I've never heard of Solatorobo in my life, but after watching a quick glimpse, I need to see what its about. Look like it could be DAMN nice!

It's fantastic, albeit very easy. I am playing it at the moment and it's so charming. It really is damn nice!

Thoraxes

walking fiend said:
yes, but is it worth spending another $40 if you already have it? I do, and from what I have seen it is not worth spending $40 on it just to get VO and a new chapter.
I would say no (unless FATLUS). Also, I would guess they evaluated the game on it's own premise. It's not like a good game magically becomes bad just because it's re-released on another system with new features.

Thoraxes said:
I would say no (unless FATLUS). Also, I would guess they evaluated the game on it's own premise. It's not like a good game magically becomes bad just because it's re-released on another system with new features.
You are right; I have to confess that arguing over scores without reading the review is stupid, as you can't at the same time score it based on its own premise and on the fact that it is a port people may already have the original.

But still, I expected an 8.0-8.5, can't get around it being $40 while DS 2 will be $30.

walking fiend said:
man, in some people book's an 8.0 means 'something have gone wrong'? 9.0 is an impressive score, 10.0 is reserved for masterpieces, 8.0 is a great score. Unless I am not familiar with NP scoring and it uses 7.0-10.0 scale

Anyhow, I think Wii extra features are enough to raise 3DS' score from 8.0 to 9.0 if it was included..

I never said that 8.0 means that it's a disaster. I was just curious why there's a whole point of difference between the two. I can imagine that the Wii exclusive bonus features would bump the score up a notch over the 3DS one, but surely the 3D support would make up for that somewhat?

This is the first review of these games, so I'm wondering if anything went wrong in the transition.

Gambit said:
It's fantastic, albeit very easy. I am playing it at the moment and it's so charming. It really is damn nice!
My interest has certainly been perked. I may just jump in a do a "mostly" blind buy, as those are the most exciting for me lol

Mafro

verbatimo said:

Or DS and PSP again.

Hmmm.

I've never seen any threads regarding Nintendo Power, so I thought I'd start a trend. (Edit: My bad, there has been another, and they just got merged)
NPbanner.png

-Cover-
NP271_Cover.png

-Reviews-
DS:
Camping Mama: Outdoor Adventures - 5.0
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 - 7.5
Kirby Mass Attack - 8.0
Solatorobo: Red the Hunter - 9.0

3DS:
Bit.Trip Saga - 8.0
Deca Sports Extreme - 5.0
Driver Renegade - 3.0
Face Racers: Photo Finish - 4.0
Frogger 3D - 6.5
Gabrielle's Ghostly Groove 3D - 5.5
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked - 9.0
Star Fox 64 3D - 8.0

Wii:
Bit.Trip Complete - 9.0
Driver San Francisco - 4.5
Madden NFL 12 - 7.0

WillyFive

I miss Nintendo Power.

They should have an online presence, not just a website with a form to fill out a subscription. Something like ONM.

Whoa, they use the full-scale of reviews... I may need to look into this mag. Also, bit.trip complete got a nice score. Glad to hear that.

mozfan12

Banned
Out of all the console specific magazines, Nintendo Power is the best. Loved it, even though I don't play on any of the Nintendo consoles or handhelds at the moment. Great covers, and interesting articles, though far to PR safe some of the time.

Instro

Probably should have thought to do this when I got my issue a few days ago. The subscribers version cover art is way better, maybe I'll scan it in and post it later.

Top Bottom