• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo To Announce A Yoshi Title For GameCube?

AniHawk

Yoshi.. That was the other Nintendo platformer I was forgetting. Kirby GC should come out next year or 2006 too.

"Yoshi's Universal Gravitation" sounds nothing like a platformer name though.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
AniHawk said:
"Yoshi's Universal Gravitation" sounds nothing like a platformer name though.

I weep for anyone who expects this game to be something they want. HAVE WE LEARNED NOTHING FROM DONKEY KONGA

AniHawk

jooey said:
I weep for anyone who expects this game to be something they want. HAVE WE LEARNED NOTHING FROM DONKEY KONGA

We got a platformer of DK though.

Maybe this game makes use of the camera. Maybe.

AniHawk

snapty00 said:
New franchise, plz.

pikmin2.jpg

There ya go!

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
considering the name and that it's for gba, my money's on it using the motion sensor.

Aha, it is for GBA. I remember Ken Lobb announced that a port of Yoshi's Story was due out for the system, but it never materialized. I don't think this is it though. In the announcement of 5 titles Super Metroid was also supposed to get ported. It'd be nice to have it on the handheld for all the people who never got to experience what I feel is the best Metroid of the lot.

madara

AniHawk said:
We got a platformer of DK though.

Maybe this game makes use of the camera. Maybe.

Wooa! We did? Which one are refering to as being platformer? Was that mario vs donkey kong gba game?

madara

You can control it without any drums or music? Otherwise you may as well call Samba one as well. Hmm I have look into that abit more.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Can I get a "meh"?

For the record I'd rather have a Yoshi's Cookie 2 or Yoshi's Safari 2 than a Yoshi's Story 2.

BuddyC

I will never understand why people would rather yet another generic platformer than an innovative title.

Yea yea, apples to oranges or something, but seriously folks...

Jungle Beat > *

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
JC10001 said:
Can I get a "meh"?
For a game we know nothing about and only have a really rough translation of the title? I'll save judging it for later. I'm just pleased that Nintendo is clearly continuing to support the GBA.

madara

BuddyChrist83 said:
I will never understand why people would rather yet another generic platformer than an innovative title.

Jungle Beat > *

I will never understand why gaming fanatics, mostly journalists and online gamers, have to have "innovative" titles at such alarming rate. They dog solid games done right but done before. Heck I could play zelda OOT, dragon quests, etc all my life and be quite happy. While others would give a toilet sim a ten just because its new. There has to be balance somewhere. We could be playing endless experimental games like Last Mana and Saga series, yic. Back on topic I love Yoshi Island but they likely go with some alot easier to develop route will masking innovation.

BuddyC

madara said:
I will never understand why gaming fanatics, mostly journalists and online gamers, have to have "innovative" titles at such alarming rate.
Because change is the only way to move our industry can move forward, otherwise it just stagnates and we're doing the same thing over and over again, which some can deal with and some can't.

They dog solid games done right but done before.
Yup, and when it's the exact same game over and over again, well, who can blame them for liking something different? I honestly don't see doing the same thing over and over again across so many games to be enjoyable, but hey, that's just me.

Heck I could play zelda OOT, dragon quests, etc all my life and be quite happy. While others would give a toilet sim a ten just because its new. There has to be balance somewhere. We could be playing endless experimental games like Last Mana and Saga series, yic.
I'm not going to argue that different gamers seek different things. Some people are happy doing the same thing over and over again, some get tired of it. The industry needs to, and does, cater to all these tastes.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Jungle Beat rocks so much it hurts. Nintendo needs to get a demo of this into the machines with Konga or give out the demo with Konga. Its a fucking blast.

jarrod

Banned
worldrunover said:
Dear Nintendo,

Please make a *new* 2-dimensional platformer, for any system, starring ANYONE.

Sincerely,
WRO
So far..

GameCube
Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat (Nintendo Tokyo R&D)

GameBoy Advance
-Densetsu no Starfi (Nintendo R&D1/Tose Software)
-Densetsu no Starfi 2 (Nintendo R&D1/Tose Software)
-Densetsu no Starfi 3 (Nintendo R&D1/Tose Software)
-Kirby & the Amazing Mirror (HAL Labratory/Flagship)
-Mario Vs Donkey Kong (Nintendo Software Technology)
-Wario Land IV (Nintendo R&D1)

Nintendo DS
-New Super Mario Bros (Nintendo)

AniHawk

madara said:
You can control it without any drums or music?

Drums are not required to play the game- you have the option to use the controller or the drums (I think). It's not like Donkey Konga where there's music or anything either.

920789_20040902_screen002.jpg

Socreges

Banned
AniHawk said:
Drums are not required to play the game- you have the option to use the controller or the drums (I think). It's not like Donkey Konga where there's music or anything either.

I'm pretty sure that the drums are needed for Jungle Beat. Unfortunately. But that might be half the experience.

BuddyC

AniHawk said:

An interesting side note is by doing really well in the game and establishing a rhythm (see the combo meter?), the in-game music begins to reflect that. Thus, having skill not only looks neat, but it sounds cool too.

AniHawk

Socreges said:
I'm pretty sure that the drums are needed for Jungle Beat. Unfortunately. But that might be half the experience.

Well Nintendo should be prepared to bundle the drums with this game as well then. I was under the impression you didn't need them, but it was best with them.

BuddyC

BuddyChrist83 said:

Jungle Beat > *

In retrospect, I sorta take this back.

What I don't want to see is another Donkey Kong Country series, where they're all the same exact same thing. The first one was neat to look but the polish wore off by the second and by the third game it was just tired.

Thankfully, the DKC series is the exception rather than the rule when it comes to Nintendo platformers. For the most part, Nintendo always changes things up just enough to differentiate the new game from prior iterations - I'd say innovation here, but it would just sound cliched. They're very good about giving proper sequels to us.

I'm sorry, but my inital post was no doubt inspired by the fact that I perceived an attack on Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat, which is one of the most amazingly fun games I've played in a long, long while. I'll still stand by my later points though, especially since the recent run of "me too!" platformers by various companies have just left a sour taste in my mouth.

BuddyC

AniHawk said:
Well Nintendo should be prepared to bundle the drums with this game as well then. I was under the impression you didn't need them, but it was best with them.
You bring up a good point here, that being Jungle Beat won't require the drums else it would be bundled with them. Rather, it's a situation like Samba de Amigo - the game is best enjoyed with maracas, but can be played with a controller.

Remember kids, Jungle Beat is a full-priced game that doesn't come with the bongos.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Hehe, I remember when everyone thought a new Donkey Kong game was coming...and then Donkey Konga was announced and met with much hate around here. :p

I don't really know if I want a more traditional Yoshi game or something different. I'll keep an open mind either way.

M3wThr33

Banned
Imagine it being 2.5D like Tomba or Viewtiful Joe, but on the bottom screen, you tap to shoot off Yoshi's tongue in a direction to attack enemies.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
jungle beat isn't something "new and innovative;" it's something old that's been complicated by a deliberately inappropriate control scheme. this is an interesting effect -- something like setting your nes advantage on the floor and playing with your feet, if you ever did that as a kid -- but i'm not sure it's good game design. ideally controls should become transparent, minimizing interference between player and game; in jungle beat the interference is the whole point. it's one of those games that calls attention to its own novelty. and this will be enough to win some people over. i'm not so convinced.

and i very much doubt it'll be playable without the bongos. with a controller, it'd just be an extremely simplistic platformer.

Top Bottom