• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo used to be GOAT with (non-sim) racers...

Neifirst

Someone on GAF had once suggested an "extreme racing" HD collection of 1080 Avalanche, Wave Race Blue Storm, and F-Zero GX for Wii U. The single best idea for a remaster I had ever read.

Deku Tree

Yeah, I used to love Nintendo racers. The GameCube was an great machine for racers. I think they just stop selling. It wasn't Nintendo, it was the sales.

All is forgiven if:

- Excite comes back to motorcycles
- F-Zero returns
- 1080 returns
- Wave Race returns

I want Wii U and 3DS versions of each; Wave Race could be speedboats on 3DS and jet skis on Wii U. F-Zero can be a GX port on 3DS and a new game on Wii U. Excite could simply be a remake of the N64 game with turbo speed on either of those devices. I don't care how we get 1080.

Just do it, Nintendo. :(

It's the same elsewhere in the industry with more and more people put on fewer and fewer releases and the thing is I can't begin to understand the reasoning behind team sizes growing so much and budgets along with them.

Sure huge JRPGs or MMOs or racing sims with massive numbers of cars and tracks to model should be seeing their budgets go up a ton due to all the higher-fidelity assets they need to make, but why is the budget of everything else going up too?

You look at the credits for even the smallest games now and there are dozens of people with roles like "Deputy Swahili Translation Consultant" or "Assistant Executive Vice President of Marketing - Timbuktu" that seemingly have no reason for even existing. Sure you need some localization and some marketing and some legal, but why do you need hundreds of people to make Rayman Legends or Epic Mickey?

Voliko

I don't agree with this at all, Sega used to be king of this. It's too bad that both of them barely make this kind of game anymore though...

Why is Diddy Kong Racing on that list? That was developed by Rare.

Unless we're counting non-Nintendo-developed games, in which case Snowboard Kids 1 and 2 should sure as shit be on that list.

NimbusD

Unless we're counting non-Nintendo-developed games, in which case Snowboard Kids 1 and 2 should sure as shit be on that list.

Rare was owned by Nintendo at the time. There's no reason not to include it.

It's all your fault for not buying them.
Ding ding ding! Those games didn't sell, with the exception of Mario Kart, so Nintendo stopped making them. This isn't rocket science!

Maybe if people had actually bought Excitebots or 1080 Snowboarding then Nintendo would have continued to make them. But they didn't, so Nintendo didn't. And Nintendo isn't exactly in a position to make niche titles when their home console is floundering because, again, no one bought it and no one has bought the niche titles they have put out (The Wonderful 101 being the most egregious example).

If you want these games then next time a dev, Nintendo or otherwise, takes a chance on those sorts of niche titles, support them.

Xenon

I think you mean Sega...

VaU1OXG.jpg

Shiggy

Because Rare was a Nintendo developer at that time and because it was published by Nintendo and used Nintendo IPs. Not sure how one cannot see that to be honest.

It's sad how their output of significant racing games has dwindled over the years. There's hardly anything left for the gamer that loves hardcore Nintendo franchises. :(

Empty

sega > all

but waverace 64 and f-zero gx (see my first point) are both masterpieces

i'd like to see them do more arcade racers, even if it's hard to ignore the tragic state of the market for them these days. if they're scared of those two brands getting destroyed in a brutal marketplace then just make a waverace for 3ds (lower budget) and call it mario jetski and hint hint nudge nudge to all the fans that it's basically waverace or something. i think that's as viable as mario golf and tennis on 3ds tbh, especially as they only do one mario kart per system.

Racers aren't dead, it's just that Nintendo needs to evolve. Look at great examples like NFS Most Wanted. One of the most addictive arcade racing games I've played. Just give us a huge island to explore in Wave Race and I'll be happy.

______ Used to be GOAT with ______ genre

I bet you will be suprised with how many of these you can come up with. It is kind of sad really.

I miss 1080 snowboarding. I have ExciteTruck but I have never gotten around to playing it.

Because Rare was a Nintendo developer at that time and because it was published by Nintendo and used Nintendo IPs. Not sure how one cannot see that to be honest.

It wasn't developed by Nintendo. The thread title says doesn't say "Nintendo systems had the best racers". It says ""Nintendo used to be GOAT with racers", implying that they were the best at developing them.

Slightly misleading thread title, if nothing else. It's no biggie, but I'm just saying let's not give Nintendo credit for a game they didn't develop. :)

Lunar15

Rising costs of development + middling sales across multiple racing games + general arcade racing fatigue and decline = only spending on the top sellers in the racing genre.

Not specific to Nintendo, unfortunately. Nearly every developer in existence has had to cut back on the number of franchises they can feasibly produce at the same time. I hope they can balance this out with downloadable stuff.

Empty

Rising costs of development + middling sales across multiple racing games = only spending on the top sellers in the racing genre.

Not specific to Nintendo, unfortunately. I hope they can balance this out with downloadable stuff.

i think racers have found it difficult to carve out a space on downloadable services so far, though. to me it's because the genre used to be on the cutting edge visually and was traditionally so associated with showing off the power of new systems. you can still see this in how desperate people are for an hd f-zero (not that i disagree with that desire)

but in the new reality of the market they have to find a new identity to survive on much lower budgets, which is a genuine challenge and we're not quite there yet so there's very few (mostly hd versions of classics like daytona usa, though i really like motorstorm rc and would like to see more of that).

for nintendo excite truck/excitebots is a perfect fit for a £12-15 downloadable. it's not something that needs visual power to hook people, or something that needs a hundred tracks and tons of content. i mean excite truck is really ugly but i love it deeply.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
It's a dying genre. This is like, one of 5 things that actually isn't Iwata's fault.
It's a genre that's committing suicide, more like.

Racing games were at the height of their popularity when they:
-Prioritized fun mechanics and track designs over realism.
-Were pick up and play experiences, race starts at point A and ends at point B with a few shortcuts inbetween.
-Were the go-to genre for parents, as they fit neatly into a very common cross-section of criteria: "I want something my kids/their friends can play together, I don't want to get them something violent, but they don't want something childish."

Now we're looking at a genre that:
-Is casting aside imaginative settings in chase of boring and predictable car licenses, handling that errs on the simulation side, and real-world settings (Motorstorm or Wip3out? Nope, we're doing Gran Turismo Jr. Driveclub. Burnout's been buried by comparatively toothless Need for Speeds, etc.)
-Is increasingly substituting dedicated track design for GPS plotting overlays pasted onto a larger open-world map, which is far less enjoyable and approachable than meticulously designed A to B tracks and is wildly frustrating to newcomers who haven't memorized the layout of the city as well as the competition.
-Doesn't seem to care a wit about local multiplayer anymore. The percentage of racing games with "Players: 1" on the back of the box these days is obscene.

Deku Tree

It's a genre that's committing suicide, more like.

Racing games were at the height of their popularity when they:
-Prioritized fun mechanics and track designs over realism.
-Were pick up and play experiences, race starts at point A and ends at point B with a few shortcuts inbetween.
-Were the go-to genre for parents, as they fit neatly into a very common cross-section of criteria: "I want something my kids/their friends can play together, I don't want to get them something violent, but they don't want something childish."

Now we're looking at a genre that:
-Is casting aside imaginative settings in chase of boring and predictable car licenses in real-world settings (Motorstorm or Wip3out? Nope, we're doing Gran Turismo Jr. Driveclub. Burnout's been buried by comparatively toothless Need for Speeds, etc.)
-Is increasingly substituting dedicated track design for GPS plotting overlays pasted onto a larger open-world map, which is far less enjoyable and approachable than meticulously designed A to B tracks and is wildly frustrating to newcomers who haven't memorized the layout of the city as well as the competition.
-Doesn't seem to care a wit about local multiplayer anymore. The percentage of racing games with "Players: 1" on the back of the box these days is obscene.

Wipeout bombed on PS3, Sony closed the Liverpool studio. 'Nuff said. Dying genre, sadly.

I miss this genre, especially the entries by Nintendo. I think it is sad that games these days have moved from new and interesting to sequel number 50 of the same cut and paste FPS game. People don't buy the new SSX game, but they'll buy Call of Duty: 17.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Wipeout bombed on PS3, Sony closed the Liverpool studio. 'Nuff said. Dying genre, sadly.
Wip3out HD was a digital-only release in videogames' largest market and a staggered, after-the-fact release elsewhere, in a time when download-only games on consoles were a formative market that hadn't yet made the vaguest threat of challenging the numbers of a proper retail release.

It was a bad game to make an early digital experiment out of, it could have undoubtedly performed much better under the traditional retail release formula.

Wip3out HD was a digital-only release in videogames' largest market and a staggered, after-the-fact release elsewhere, in a time when download-only games on consoles were a formative market that hadn't yet made the vaguest threat of challenging the numbers of a proper retail release.

It was a bad game to make an early digital experiment out of, it could have undoubtedly performed much better under the traditional retail release formula.

It would have been nice if they had at least tried. Wipeout Pure did well on the PSP and Pulse didn't do too bad either.

Instead I had to import a retail copy from the UK if I didn't want to have to download the whole thing, it was silly.

javac

It wasn't developed by Nintendo. The thread title says doesn't say "Nintendo systems had the best racers". It says ""Nintendo used to be GOAT with racers", implying that they were the best at developing them.

Slightly misleading thread title, if nothing else. It's no biggie, but I'm just saying let's not give Nintendo credit for a game they didn't develop. :)

There's no such thing as developer that goes by the name 'Nintendo'. The EAD divisions are the closest but Rare (back then) and Retro and Monolith Soft etc are all Nintendo developers developing games under the Nintendo banner. Infamous SS is a Sony game even if the developer is called Sucker Punch and not Sony, and TLOU is a Sony game even if it was developed by a developer named Naughty Dog because there's no such developer named Sony. Likewise Nintendo is the name of the company, which has development studios and partners such as Retro.

OryoN

People that actually have a platform - the so-called video game journalists - don't really press these matters or call out companies on real issues such as this. So there's a sense of complacency on both sides of the fence. This shouldn't be!

While the argument can be made that the sales of those franchises - which aren't as strong as Mario Kart's - have a direct impact on the possibility of seeing new entries, it's mainly diversity which grows your install base. Ensuring that there's 'something for everyone' out there. Wii U could use that diversity and growth right now. Anyway, as far as Nintendo is concerned, MiiVerse is becoming a platform where gamers stand a better chance of being heard, on these matters.

4lejandro

Time for a little list starting at the peak. (I've excluded shit games like that Donkey Kong racer)

N64

1080° Snowboarding
Diddy Kong Racing
Excitebike 64
F-Zero X
Mario Kart 64
Wave Race 64

Game Boy Advance

F-Zero GP Legend
F-Zero Maximum Velocity
Mario Kart Super Circuit

Gamecube

1080° Avalanche
F-Zero GX
Kirby's Air Ride
Mario Kart Double Dash!!
Wave Race Blue Storm

Nintendo DS

Mario Kart DS

Wii

ExciteBots
Excite Truck
Mario Kart Wii

Nintendo 3DS

Mario Kart 7

WiiU

Mario Kart 8

A clear downward trajectory. The N64/GCN era was a great time to be alive. Umm, what the fuck happened? Used to be a huge variety of racers from them, now it's just Mario Kart, Mario Kart and Mario Kart. Kinda depressing. I don't think we'll even get another one for the WiiU to be honest unless they surprise the world with a new F-Zero at E3. I miss the variety!

lol I read your comment about "that Donkey Kong racer" and immediately thought about you dissing Diddy Kong Racing (the greatest N64 mascot racer) and such was my rage that I didn't see you actually listing it and I planned to argue and shit, thankfully the Quote system includes the entirety of the original post by default hehe...

I think you may be the first person in history to refer to Excitebots as being the pinnacle of anything.
Excitebot is the pinnacle of Super Sandwich:
And flush
And pie throwing
At least we still have SANIC ALLSTAIRS TRANSFROMED

And Modnation/Little Big Planet Racing, I guess.
Fantastic. Two essential reskin/clones of MarioKart. Sure, they're competent, but that's just like splitting the difference between GT and Forza in the "Console Sim" area.

Fantastic. Two essential reskin/clones of MarioKart. Sure, they're competent, but that's just like splitting the difference between GT and Forza in the "Console Sim" area.

Well, apparent masterpieces Diddy Kong Racing and Crash Team Racing are such departures from the rest of the genre, so.

Doesn't matter though. I'd kill a man for another arcade racer as good as Ridge Racer Type 4. This thread is more about the cartoon/sports side of things, but damn.

Shiggy

I think you are trying too hard. Nintendo funded the game and it used Nintendo assets. Nintendo used to be goat with racers can also simply relate to their role of funding other studios to create them. After all, Nintendo is a publisher with both internal studios and external partners. Both Diddy Kong Racing and Diddy Kong Pilot are generally seen as Nintendo titles, so are Kirkby Air Ride and F-Zero GX. Same holds true for Wii Sports Club, Mario&Luigi, Steel Diver, and so on.

The thread is not about the quality of these racing titles from Nintendo (as a publisher) but rather the amount of titles, which has significantly decreased over the years.

Rich!

I always loved this:

It was developed and designed by Nintendo's NST division in collaboration with Namco, with a unique set of tracks designed by Nintendo themselves in addition to the old favourites from past RR games.

It's still IMO one of the best racers Nintendo has ever made, and sadly one that not many have played. And even today it looks fantastic, aged far better than most N64 games.

Can someone explain what GOAT means?

Somehow I've missed that internet acronym or meme (whatever it is) and it's been used extensively by a lot of people for the past month.

I miss F-Zero.... it was such a nice future racer, I played the GBA version GP Legends and I loved it. Back in the day I had no knowledge about games at all, thankfully I made some very good decision, for example Starfox Adventures, Wind Waker,Metroid, Zelda TP, Mario Sunshine etc, but I also missed many great Gamecube titles. I wish I could play F-Zero, Paper Mario TTYD, Luigis Mansion, Wave Race etc. But the prices are just skyhigh, 70€ for a Gamecube game!

Top Bottom