• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo used to be GOAT with (non-sim) racers...

Something that could be said about any genre, their lack of variety is a fucking shame, and they don't even seem to acknowledge it, so it's definitely staying. I'm really glad it's hurting them lately though, maybe that'll make them wake up.

Sure, a new IP for each gen is really a bad thing. Considering it's only Nintendo I'm not sure other systems are doing really better from Microsoft or Sony.
People always forget this and are comparing Nintendo (because here we're talking about a developper not about a system) to what a bunch of other developpers can produce alltogether.

But yeah, time for a new IP now. Wii U is good timing for this and a new F-Zero would be nice while waiting.

Can someone explain what GOAT means?

Somehow I've missed that internet acronym or meme (whatever it is) and it's been used extensively by a lot of people for the past month.

I always thought it meant "Game of all time" but if that's the case, OP has a serious case of not knowing how to use it.

Or I have no idea. One of the two.

I get irked that people only bring up the past when talking about a genre, yeah a ton of franchises ceased, but a ton have since been created.

It's just Nintendo changing their focus for seemingly the hell of it.

If they were going to attempt to fight for the core gamers, we'd see more racers, but it's a fairly competitive market, so they stick to their guns.

Jucksalbe

Banned
People didn't buy Excitebots, which was fucking awesome. That's what happened. :(

They never even gave us the chance to buy it (in Europe).

Anyway, the genre as a whole is dying as many people already mentioned. The few games like that on PS3 sold pretty badly. A new F-Zero could do decently on WiiU or 3DS though, I guess.

sibarraz

Banned
Sega-logo-Frikarte.jpg

Just no bro, some of those nintendo games even though are good, will never be as fondly remembered as some hits that sega made from the Arcades (Or even today, like SART)

Heck, arguably the most respected entry from the F-ZERO series was made by SEGA

I get irked that people only bring up the past when talking about a genre, yeah a ton of franchises ceased, but a ton have since been created.

It's just Nintendo changing their focus for seemingly the hell of it.

If they were going to attempt to fight for the core gamers, we'd see more racers, but it's a fairly competitive market, so they stick to their guns.
Even if you broaden the definition, it has seen better days, and it's not exclusively a Nintendo thing: the arcade racing massacre of May 2010 essentially killed 2 studios and left the third one relatively unscathed (Black Rock - Split Second, Bizarre - Blur, United Front - ModNations). After that mess, I'm pretty sure if you're a racing studio, you'd be laughed out the door if you tried to pitch anything non-sim.

A shame the arcade racer scene is dying since I can't understand the appeal of sim racers. If you restrict yourself to realism you lose the 'magic' videogames can offer, in my opinion of course.

F-Zero had that intense 1000km/h death racer feel, Mario party and sonic racing are great party racers, and Project Gotham Racing 2 had the feel and gameplay of an arcade racer while still being based on reality.

I also point the finger at EA buying Criterion.

That meant EA had two racing franchises, one of which they killed off after turning it into some dumb hybrid XBLA/PSN crashing game.

And the other punch to the testicles was that RenderWare was no longer usable by a huge number of companies, so they had to change a TON of code and relicense new engines.

Fucking EA.

Fantastic. Two essential reskin/clones of MarioKart. Sure, they're competent, but that's just like splitting the difference between GT and Forza in the "Console Sim" area.

I'd argue that SRT is the least MK clone of the bunch. It's really more of an arcade racer with an item system than a straight kart racer, since it's much more focused on the track design and skillful driving and the items are kind of just "there".

Top Bottom