• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky previews (03-03-2016)

The recent DLC episode about this game touched on my worries for the title. At this point, the only thing i'm really hoping for is a very complex AI for the varied lifeforms that you visit. If the game is all about exploration - but you really don't find anything - I'd really just enjoy watching how life interacts and grows on each planet depending on the resources of that world.

If Hello Games took a Rockstar approach to making the lifeforms interesting, I'd play this game forever. I don't need much combat. I was already disappointed by the slow walking (looks like a floating camera), and I already suspected that the 'combat' is shaky at best.

But if I'm exploring some deep cavern that I uncover and all I find is an interesting life form and it's social structure with other creatures as they 'interact', I'd be MORE than happy. I definitely don't need a super dramatic overarching story.

But I would like to see the stories that the worlds have to tell. Life evolves and all that.

The recent DLC episode about this game touched on my worries for the title. At this point, the only thing i'm really hoping for is a very complex AI for the varied lifeforms that you visit. If the game is all about exploration - but you really don't find anything - I'd really just enjoy watching how life interacts and grows on each planet depending on the resources of that world.

If Hello Games took a Rockstar approach to making the lifeforms interesting, I'd play this game forever. I don't need much combat. I was already disappointed by the slow walking (looks like a floating camera), and I already suspected that the 'combat' is shaky at best.

But if I'm exploring some deep cavern that I uncover and all I find is an interesting life form and it's social structure with other creatures as they 'interact', I'd be MORE than happy. I definitely don't need a super dramatic overarching story.

But I would like to see the stories that the worlds have to tell. Life evolves and all that.
The two most interesting examples of creature behavior I've read are of a shark suddenly appearing to grab the floating carcass of an animal you shot down, and a larger predator attacking a smaller predator that was chasing the player. Sean has also mentioned things like creatures gathering around watering holes and traveling in herds

Also apparently species breed and mutate across generations
The multitude of creatures that inhabit the universe dynamically breed and genetically mutate as time progresses.
http://www.technologyreview.com/news/529136/no-mans-sky-a-vast-game-crafted-by-algorithms/

If you want a game with really advanced and emergent animal AI and interactions, keep an eye out for Rain World later this year. Check this out

Hey, just noticed this while watching that IGN video, Is this a new Sentinel type?

7WEdqa3.gif

Or maybe...mechanical lifeforms on planets? Looks like they're moving in a pack/herd...

Nice find. I also liked that the dinosaur herd animals in this new video were kicking up dust.

The social structure of lifeforms on planets are fairly complex, with a definite food chain and behavioral traits. Some animals are active during the day, some are nocturnal. Animals will go to fresh water sources to drink. They'll have baby animals and there's been speculation that adults will protect their young.

The two most interesting examples of creature behavior I've read are of a shark suddenly appearing to grab the floating carcass of an animal you shot down [...]

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/529136/no-mans-sky-a-vast-game-crafted-by-algorithms/

I hadn't heard about any of this, this is awesome. I didn't know that the terrain was succeptible to erosion, either.

Actually looking online now, that's the only site I can find that mentions anything about species breeding and offspring evolving over time, and it's not a direct quote, so I'd take it with a grain of salt. That would be cool though

The shark one is from a quote though, from the art director
http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/02/artificial-universe-no-mans-sky/463308/
While the basic behaviors themselves are simple, the interactions can be impressively complex. Artistic director Grant Duncan recalled roaming an alien planet once shooting at birds out of boredom. “I hit one and it fell into the ocean,” he recalled. “It was floating there on the waves when suddenly, a shark came up and ate it. The first time it happened, it totally blew me away.”

amnesiac

IGN: What about Playstation VR?

Sean: "I think the reason it doesn't want to go away is because I think it would be super cool, you know? I think it would be a really interesting thing, and like, as a kid growing up, my vision of the future was strapping on some helmet onto your head and stepping into a computer generated universe, so I think that would be a really cool thing to do. Obviously we're a super small team and we're working really hard to get the game out, but I think it would be a neat idea."

Similar answer to other times he has been asked about PSVR, but given that he's never actually denied it, I'm inclined to think it will be supported at some point to some degree.

I do find it interesting how he said he thinks most players won't make it all the way to the center. Hopefully that means it will get really hardcore towards the middle.

Well I guess most players don't complete games anyway judging from trophies but still.

Actually looking online now, that's the only site I can find that mentions anything about species breeding and offspring evolving over time, and it's not a direct quote, so I'd take it with a grain of salt. That would be cool though

The shark one is from a quote though, from the art director
http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/02/artificial-universe-no-mans-sky/463308/

Well, I believe in that video someone posted recently with the German press guy that played at the recent event, he said he saw two adults trying to protect a smaller version of the animal. But who knows.

Thanks for the article link, it was a great read. Heh "shooting birds out of boredom" is probably not something the Hello PR people wanted to see a dev say in an article though. Murray's comment at the end was odd though, "At some point the servers will be shut down. It will all be turned off, and it will be us who pull the plug." Wouldn't NMS still be playable, since the planets are all generated locally? Yes you couldn't upload anything, but...

I do find it interesting how he said he thinks most players won't make it all the way to the center. Hopefully that means it will get really hardcore towards the middle.

Well I guess most players don't complete games anyway judging from trophies but still.

It might get harder towards the center, but I'm guessing Sean said that because it will probably take jumps through hundreds of planets to reach the center, at least judging by the galactic map we've seen. As you suggested, most people won't stay with the game that long I'd imagine.

It's been known since the beginning that the game gets harder towards the center. Animals tend to be more hostile/mutated, environments tend to be more extreme/alien, and fleets are more powerful/upgraded. I just never really sat and thought about just how much he's gonna make the difficulty ramp up.

S1kkZ

all i want is solid 30 fps. i hope they improve the performance, the stutter and tearing would really affect my enjoyment, diving into this galaxy and explore it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
psvr is definitely somthing they are gonna look at implementing post launch.

I think so. Looks like it'll need the Driveclub treatment as the frame rate doesn't sound perfect on OS4 so they'll need to cut back on details etc.

What would be interesting is if they make a PcVR version first, or the two would be tied together. Wonder if there is any agreement with Sony about that.

Orbis

I've definitely warmed to the game a lot more recently. I just think it's gonna be something I load up to just go explore and relax. When I play Elite I can explore and kinda relax and I love aimlessly doing quests to just kill time.

This is that but with gorgeous planet surfaces and a lot more relaxing due to removed complexity (which there's nothing wrong with, but sometimes I don't want to get sunk in to something like that)

I'm so torn between picking this up at launch or waiting till further down the road just in case VR is implemented.

I'm sure I would have fun playing it a second time in VR but the idea of my first play through being in VR, and how much more incredible that would be then just on my tv, is enough to keep me on the fence.

Does anyone have any theories on when it may be ported to psvr if in fact it ends up happening? Like perhaps someone has an idea on the development difficulties of that and what an average time frame is

The two most interesting examples of creature behavior I've read are of a shark suddenly appearing to grab the floating carcass of an animal you shot down, and a larger predator attacking a smaller predator that was chasing the player. Sean has also mentioned things like creatures gathering around watering holes and traveling in herds

If you want a game with really advanced and emergent animal AI and interactions, keep an eye out for Rain World later this year. Check this out

Nice find. I also liked that the dinosaur herd animals in this new video were kicking up dust.

The social structure of lifeforms on planets are fairly complex, with a definite food chain and behavioral traits. Some animals are active during the day, some are nocturnal. Animals will go to fresh water sources to drink. They'll have baby animals and there's been speculation that adults will protect their young.

I hadn't heard about any of this, this is awesome. I didn't know that the terrain was succeptible to erosion, either.

All I can say is WOW.
This sounds amazing. I hadn't heard this at all.

dalin80

Banned
all i want is solid 30 fps. i hope they improve the performance, the stutter and tearing would really affect my enjoyment, diving into this galaxy and explore it.

Since 2014 Hello games have been saying 60fps on console but personally I would prefer 30 if it came with greater draw distance and fidelity.

amnesiac

psvr is definitely somthing they are gonna look at implementing post launch.

Perhaps, but I think Sony would nudge them to release a VR version when PSVR launches since it would probably benefit both of them more if NMS VR was released earlier. Plus games have to be created with VR in mind so I don't think it would make sense to make the game and then work on VR.

but last weeks gameplay footage didnt even run at 30 fps.
"Targeting 60". The footage from last week was 30 with issues.

What's interesting about this is that this is really one of the only times since 2014 or so that we've had footage that's NOT 60fps. Which indicates to me that:

1) We've only seen PC footage up to now and this new footage is one of the only times we've had actual PS4 footage

2) The new footage was supposed to be shot at 60fps but wasn't or got compressed to 30fps somewhere down the line

S1kkZ

the footage last week was provided by sony, as a b roll, right? but eurogamer also mentioned performance issues and tearing.

amnesiac

I'm not sure if it was provided by Hello Games or Sony but it's worth noting that neither Hello Games nor Sony have posted the actual source footage.

SomTervo

I've got a feeling they decided to release on PC too to make up for how shambolic the PS4 version might run. I hope not, but i can imagine that.

IIRC Murray is on record saying it is already up and running on PC. Maybe that was an insider leak, though...

Apparently the closer you get to the center the more dangerous and volatile the planets get.

So besides the amount of fuel and time it takes to travel there, you'll have to make sure all your gear is high end and you're really careful once there, with saving at space stations and stuff.

sp3ctr3

I'm holding off buying this till I know more. I listened to the latest Giant Bombcast and Brad told about his go at the game.

The game is so big that it's unlikely you will encounter other players. That also means that you probably wont encounter animals that has been named by another person?

You need to collect resources to progress in the game but in the same time have to spend said resources to stay alive making the collecting resources time even longer and tedious. Most planets will be barren, and I can't remember the exact number but for every 20 planets, maybe 1 will be lush with life.

And what's the hook? What will make you keep wanting to grind?

KORNdoggy

I'm holding off buying this till I know more. I listened to the latest Giant Bombcast and Brad told about his go at the game.

The game is so big that it's unlikely you will encounter other players. That also means that you probably wont encounter animals that has been named by another person?

You need to collect resources to progress in the game but in the same time have to spend said resources to stay alive making the collecting resources time even longer and tedious. Most planets will be barren, and I can't remember the exact number but for every 20 planets, maybe 1 will be lush with life.

you're more likely to land on planets already explored with newly named creatures etc then you are meeting someone. i think a lot of the issues with bumping into someone is the time it takes to get around and the distances you need to travel. i imagine "just missing someone" is still hours of real time travelling and roaming around if not more. hell, you could be on the same planet as someone who is discovering and naming new creatures and you'd never even know. much like the odds of ever bumping into someone else if you were one of 2 people on earth. oceans could separate you. terrain. wildlife and of course the distance itself.

Danlord

you're more likely to land on planets already explored with newly named creatures etc then you are meeting someone. i think a lot of the issues with bumping into someone is the time it takes to get around and the distances you need to travel. i imagine "just missing someone" is still hours of real time travelling and roaming around if not more. hell, you could be on the same planet as someone who is discovering and naming new creatures and you'd never even know. much like the odds of ever bumping into someone else if you were one of 2 people on earth. oceans could separate you. terrain. wildlife and of course the distance itself.

I love that idea, being on a planet thinking I'm the only one there, and there could be someone across the ocean or even around the same mountain as I am but because of the grand scale of the game, I'd never know.

Even better, if I go from the planets surface to space and see someone else in their ship and I just miss them when they go into hyperdrive, missing them by seconds.

It's those moments that I think Sean Murray gets excited over, these little individual experiences are sometimes more significant than any other scripted event that could be played instead.

OmegaDL50

I've got a feeling they decided to release on PC too to make up for how shambolic the PS4 version might run. I hope not, but i can imagine that.

IIRC Murray is on record saying it is already up and running on PC. Maybe that was an insider leak, though...

Most that have been following this game since far back as 2013 known that this was in development for PC, it wasn't until E3 2014 did most of us know the existence of a PS4 version in the works.

http://www.hellogames.org/2013/12/no-mans-sky/

In fact if you check the earliest announcement footage from December 9th 2013 which was a mere 20 days before the disastrous flood at their studio. The end of the video there isn't any platforms listed for development however considering the progress shown off in the footage, Hello Games had to been working on the game for quite some time.

Also PS4 dev kits went out mid 2012, and the development timeline for NMS apparently being started after Joe Danger 2, which is late 2011 early 2012, which would suggest that NMS has been in the works since before even PS4 devkits went out.

The PC release isn't being done simply out of pity because of possible performance issues on the PS4.

Besides there is still another 2 months for them to hopefully polish everything and get some of the performance of the game tightened. (I say 2 months instead of 3 is because the last month will mainly be about manufacturing the gold master, distributing it to warehouses and shipping it to stores as for the digital release the time limit required for passing certification for release on PSN and Steam.)

Even if the PS4 version doesn't reach 60fps, the hopes that a solid 30 with minimal dips is possible.

For such a small studio, it's a very ambitious project.

E92 M3

I seem to be the only fool concerned with how short the entry sequence is when flying into planets. I want more realistic atmospheres :(

Entering should take at least 10 seconds, compared to the 3-5 it takes now.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

Although it's a small chance of coming across amimals or planets that other people have named, it's a lot bigger than the chance of coming across another player.

I seem to be the only fool concerned with how short the entry sequence is when flying into planets. I want more realistic atmospheres :(

Game is more arcadey than straight-up sim, guess they want entry to be fast to go along with that arcade-y pace

tusken77

Definitely hope the difficulty ramps up the deeper you go, making reaching the centre a real accomplishment. Looking forward to seeing what they name that trophy....

sXzrPwJ.jpg

No, I have expressed the same concern. It all looks a bit 'basic' to me. I know it's not a simulator but still.

Same goes for the other game play elements. They all look very simple and repetitive. Every interview I've seen with Sean where he has been quizzed on the games features, he tends to dodge the question and or give very vague answers.

I'm sure he's partly doing so to not give the entire game away, but I do get the impression that the game is lacking in meaningful content.

I remain skeptical but cautiously optimistic.

Tigress

Most that have been following this game since far back as 2013 known that this was in development for PC, it wasn't until E3 2014 did most of us know the existence of a PS4 version in the works.

http://www.hellogames.org/2013/12/no-mans-sky/

In fact if you check the earliest announcement footage from December 9th 2013 which was a mere 20 days before the disastrous flood at their studio. The end of the video there isn't any platforms listed for development however considering the progress shown off in the footage, Hello Games had to been working on the game for quite some time..

Uh, I knew from before the flood that it was ps4. The first time I saw them announce it was at Sony's E3 conference before the flood (I think it was E3. I know it was before the flood and it was a Sony conference). In fact it wasn't until much later did I know it was coming to PC too.

So maybe I was wrong that PC came later, but it was announced for ps4 before you claim.

No, I have expressed the same concern. It all looks a bit 'basic' to me. I know it's not a simulator but still.

Same goes for the other game play elements. They all look very simple and repetitive. Every interview I've seen with Sean where he has been quizzed on the games features, he tends to dodge the question and or give vary vague answers.

I'm sure he's partly doing so to not give the entire game away, but I do get the impression that the game is lacking in meaningful content.

Depends on what you classify as meaningful content?

Every game follows a repetitive loop of mechanics and systems, be it "defeat enemies to reach checkpoint", "solve puzzles to unlock next room", "scavenge and craft to survive longer", "win races for better cars to win more races", "use disguises and stealth to kill target", and so on

No Man's Sky gameplay loop is simple: land on planet, gather resources, upgrade ship/gear to travel farther.

What makes those loops feel varied and complex are the elements within. In No Man's Sky, that variety comes from different environment types, the wildfire, factions and your relationship with them, the gear at your disposal and the gameplay path you want to follow, and so on

Regarding the slow walking, I think the pace is excessively slowed down in most footage. During the IGN gameplay demo the movement was definitely faster, though it's hard to tell whether that was running or not; I'd assume not, as it'd be the world's slowest run and it seems a similar speed when going backwards.

Is there any word on whether different suits will change the HUD? Ships appear to have different layouts, so I'm hoping suits will be the same.

androvsky

Uh, I knew from before the flood that it was ps4. The first time I saw them announce it was at Sony's E3 conference before the flood (I think it was E3. I know it was before the flood and it was a Sony conference). In fact it wasn't until much later did I know it was coming to PC too.

So maybe I was wrong that PC came later, but it was announced for ps4 before you claim.
It was originally announced at VGX 2013 with no platforms mentioned. The flood was a few weeks later, with fans reaching out to both Sony and Microsoft execs on Twitter to see if they would help Hello Games out. A lot of people were making assumptions about the platform either way, not sure if PC was hinted at during that timeframe.

There wasn't a console platform announced until Sony's E3 conference in 2014.

E92 M3

Game is more arcadey than straight-up sim, guess they want entry to be fast to go along with that arcade-y pace

I just want them to design it in the same light as planetary distance. I don't want full blown requirement for heat shields and all, but I'd like it to be slightly longer. Just make it feel like I am entering a planet. Hopefully different planets have different atmospheres.

Same goes for the other game play elements. They all look very simple and repetitive. Every interview I've seen with Sean where he has been quizzed on the games features, he tends to dodge the question and or give very vague answers.

Everything else looks enough for me, just the entry - which is inconsequential in the long run. I am very optimistic for the release, though.

OmegaDL50

It was originally announced at VGX 2013 with no platforms mentioned. The flood was a few weeks later, with fans reaching out to both Sony and Microsoft execs on Twitter to see if they would help Hello Games out. A lot of people were making assumptions about the platform either way, not sure if PC was hinted at during that timeframe.

There wasn't a console platform announced until Sony's E3 conference in 2014.

Yup the original trailer shown for the game posted on their website was from the VGX 2013 trailer.

Just as you said the first Playstation announcement didn't happen until E3 2014 which I mention in my previous post.

I have been following this game like a hawk for a quite a long awhile.

June is only 3 months away and seems like an eternity compared to the 3 years I've waited reading many interviews, watching trailer footage and participating on many discussions about this game.

It's almost here but it still feels like it's so far off.

E92 M3

Yup the original trailer shown for the game posted on their website was from the VGX 2013 trailer.

Just as you said the first Playstation announcement didn't happen until E3 2014 which I mention in my previous post.

I have been following this game like a hawk for a quite a long awhile.

June is only 3 months away and seems like an eternity compared to the 3 years I've waited reading many interviews, watching trailer footage and participating on many discussions about this game.

It's almost here but it still feels like it's so far off.

Yes, June feels very far away compared to the years of anticipation. I was hyped for this game the moment they showed the first trailer. Crazy how long it has been.

Depends on what you classify as meaningful content?

Every game follows a repetitive loop of mechanics and systems, be it "defeat enemies to reach checkpoint", "solve puzzles to unlock next room", "scavenge and craft to survive longer", "win races for better cars to win more races", "use disguises and stealth to kill target", and so on

No Man's Sky gameplay loop is simple: land on planet, gather resources, upgrade ship/gear to travel farther.

What makes those loops feel varied and complex are the elements within. In No Man's Sky, that variety comes from different environment types, the wildfire, factions and your relationship with them, the gear at your disposal and the gameplay path you want to follow, and so on

Well for one, the Universe itself. I know how these large procedural games tend to go. When you've seen a hundred planets, you've basically seen them all. Same with the creatures.

As for the gameplay mechanics, I am yet to see anything that looks to require any complex strategy. The shooting looks simple, the space flight and fighting looks simple, the scanning, read monolith to learn language, trading. All simple.

It's kinda hard to express what I am currently feeling, largely because I'm struggling to find something to feel. I guess for me it looks more like a tech demo with some cheap gameplay elements tacked on, instead of the opposite.

I'm yet to see anything that's going to keep me engaged in order for me to explore a significant part of the Universe. The main hook is obviously to reach the centre, but what I do in the meantime looks to be lacking.

I get that just exploring is part of the idea, but the nature of a procedural world for me means that it all becomes a bit 'samey'.

We shall see.

Well for one, the Universe itself. I know how these large procedural games tend to go. When you've seen a hundred planets, you've basically seen them all. Same with the creatures.

As for the gameplay mechanics, I am yet to see anything that looks to require any complex strategy. The shooting looks simple, the space flight and fighting looks simple, the scanning, read monolith to learn language, trading. All simple.

It's kinda hard to express what I am currently feeling, largely because I'm struggling to find something to feel. I guess for me it looks more like a tech demo with some cheap gameplay elements tacked on, instead of the opposite.

I'm yet to see anything that's going to keep me engaged in order for me to explore a significant part of the Universe. The main hook is obviously to reach the centre, but what I do in the meantime looks to be lacking.

I get that just exploring is part of the idea, but the nature of a procedural world for me means that it all becomes a bit 'samey'.

We shall see.
Perhaps. It depends on where you are in the universe, since things change and grow more challenging as you get deeper in. Weirder species, more alien planets and climates, etc.

Kind of like how the pool of items expand in a roguelike as you progress, so you'll see new things the longer you play

Also these planets and species aren't designed from a collection of assets but rather mutating and changing assets into new things. So it's not like you'll see the same species or planet layouts start repeating after X planets

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Perhaps. It depends on where you are in the universe, since things change and grow more challenging as you get deeper in. Weirder species, more alien planets and climates, etc.

Kind of like how the pool of items expand in a roguelike as you progress, so you'll see new things the longer you play

Also these planets and species aren't designed from a collection of assets but rather mutating and changing assets into new things. So it's not like you'll see the same species or planet layouts start repeating after X planets

Sean Murray HAS said that when you start the game it offers creatures not too distant from what you'd get on Earth, but as you progress and get closer to the centre the creatures become stranger. It will also likely apply to the planets and biomes too.

I just can't wait for this game. It's the first game that I can happily watch my son play, watch as many Let's Plays as I want and STILL not spoil my own journey of exploration.

DOWN

Banned

This makes the game sound as niche as I've been thinking it is

Top Bottom