• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nobody is buying new games anymore

Karak

When we discussed this in 2022, as it was already happening, I was wondering if 2023 was going to alter it but even Griffengamings report last year showed it going this way despite many companies going the other way as well as doubling down on Live services.

However, new games for sure are being bought as we see many times a month.
But selectiveness is a thing as is familiarity, as is waiting for sales and patches.

NickFire

The social aspect definitely plays a part in why my kids and their friends primarily stick to the same games as each other. But the games they play come down to simple appeal to run of the mill young men and boys. They are willing to try new games. Unfortunately, so much of the current output makes average guys cringe, wince, or just say nah to them.

Here’s an example - suicide squad. The last movie was all the talk when it came out. Peacemaker became must watch afterwards for them. When they heard the was a game coming one of them wanted me to preorder it. Then they saw the trailers. NOPE.

Example 2 - Star Wars Outlaws. Might as well take the devs name off and replace with KK. Sorry not sorry, Disney has hammered home a point. The point has been taken. Millions of us have accepted and moved on.

100%, no dispute, I can agree all day long that things such as costs during times of high inflation, broken games, bugs, etc., all play a role in people passing on things. But let’s be real for one day. Way too many people are approaching game development with whimsical fantasies about the importance of their message or who their audience is. There’s a reason the evergreen games survive. It’s really simple actually. They appeal to average guys.

Last edited:

onQ123

This year is different Helldivers II , Pal World, Black Myth: Wukong, College Football, Tekken 8 , Astro Bot , Dragon's Dogma II & some other new releases sold pretty good

Banjo64

cumsessed
I’m 50% through Gears 5 (Act III, Chapter I) and it’s not a bad game, it’s just very characterless and design by committee.

Set pieces that aren’t really amazing, narrow gaps to hide load times, safe Gears gameplay, no element of horror, mediocre open world design.

I’ll complete the game, because I am looking for something brainless. However if I was being picky I could choose 1000 games that would provide me with a better experience.

Playtime

People are still buying new games, they just return to their favourite GaaS stuff when they're done with them. Nobody's made a Fortnite killer yet.
Bingo.

Devs explicitly design these GAAS games with the intent to get gamers invested and playing for years and years, while purchasing micro transactions along the way. Large number of gamers play GAAS games for years without buying new games.

Devs reactions:
Ideas_Surprised_Pikachu_HD.jpg

Last edited:
I am, just not the AAA games really. I buy like 3 VR games a month, if not more, and other random AA/Indies for flat.

Too much to choose from. I would imagine that hundreds of games release on a daily basis. Its impossible to be aware of everything.

That would be me. The most recently released game I've played is the Dead Space remake which was what, early 2023? And I only got that because somehow Xbox dropped the deluxe edition down to $8 last Xmas, which is no brainer. I liked it enough to probably buy a physical PS5 copy cheap since I sold my Series X a few months ago and replaced it with a PS5 Slim.

Otherwise my cheap ass has a wishlist of mainly legacy games that I buy for pennies on the dollar. One $70 half baked bug riddled current release, or several older titles/Indies that are complete, received patches and had for $10-15 each or less? It ain't rocket science.

MayauMiao

I buy games on discounts or after a year or two release. I have lost trust in Day 1 games due to the constant fuck ups with day 1 release.

It doesn't help that most of those AAA games are remakes/remasters.

Zacfoldor

As a buyer of new games myself, my market value only grows. Bwahahaha! The fools let me choose what games will be made. That's why we got all these soulslikes lately afterall. You're welcome.

The social aspect definitely plays a part in why my kids and their friends primarily stick to the same games as each other. But the games they play come down to simple appeal to run of the mill young men and boys. They are willing to try new games. Unfortunately, so much of the current output makes average guys cringe, wince, or just say nah to them.

Here’s an example - suicide squad. The last movie was all the talk when it came out. Peacemaker became must watch afterwards for them. When they heard the was a game coming one of them wanted me to preorder it. Then they saw the trailers. NOPE.

Example 2 - Star Wars Outlaws. Might as well take the devs name off and replace with KK. Sorry not sorry, Disney has hammered home a point. The point has been taken. Millions of us have accepted and moved on.

100%, no dispute, I can agree all day long that things such as costs during times of high inflation, broken games, bugs, etc., all play a role in people passing on things. But let’s be real for one day. Way too many people are approaching game development with whimsical fantasies about the importance of their message or who their audience is. There’s a reason the evergreen games survive. It’s really simple actually. They appeal to average guys.
The thought of a aaa mrated peacemaker game Made me reply. I would take that in aa as in developer of robocop rouge city.

Fbh

I don't know, I think we hear about too many games doing well for this statement to be true.
The likes of Helldivers 2, Infinite Wealth, Unicorn Overlord, Stellar Blade, Space Marine 2, Wukong, DD2, Persona 3 Reload and more all seem to have sold within or above expectations, with some of them becoming the fastest selling titles in their respective franchises. That doesn't seem to reflect a market where "no one buys new games anymore"

Of course the metrics on playtime will be different since you are mostly comparing finite games with GAAS designed to be infinitely replayable. Lots of people I know have their permanente GAAS titles they play all the time but they still buy new games. It's just that they'll pick up, say, Astrobot or Stellar blade, play and beat them in a week or two and then they go back to their GAAS as they await for the next release that interest them. By the end of the year they might have bought 4-5 new games but in terms gameplay hours 80% of it will still have been spent on a GAAS.

flying_sq

I can't recall a new game outside of a couple remakes that I really want to play/buy at full price. The only new game I have bought this year is AOM Remake. I'm happy to wait 3-6 years for game to be between $20-$10.

If someone makes a game that I am actually excited for, I would buy it full price but every game I thought about buying at full price had serious launch issues, or didn't turn out to be great.

Last edited:

Davey Cakes

I buy new games but they're usually indies, not AAA.

The other day I impulse bought Control and all its DLC for $8 on Steam. Why buy anything brand new when you can catch up on your backlog and buy in when the game you want is a steal?

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Guilty as charged.

Renting is a godsend for me as I would always end up re-selling new games after a few weeks anyway.

When we discussed this in 2022, as it was already happening, I was wondering if 2023 was going to alter it but even Griffengamings report last year showed it going this way despite many companies going the other way as well as doubling down on Live services.

However, new games for sure are being bought as we see many times a month.
But selectiveness is a thing as is familiarity, as is waiting for sales and patches.
You play everything. I don't know how you have the energy to do it.

Sleepwalker

Games are becoming more expensive, $70 base, $100+ early access or some bullshit bonus content, nickel and dime season passes for single player games. etc.

And execs wonder why players just play what they already have for free?

Surprised Meme GIF

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
You reap what you sow.

Raise the prices. no one wants to pay $70 plus tax for games.
Release everything on gamepass day one like complete morons.
Release everything on PS+ just one year later.
Make GaaS trash with gambling mechanics to turn your users into addicts that play just that one game and nothing else.
Make games for women instead of their audience which is primarily male.

I'm starting to be more selective about what games I get day 1.
Some I just add to my wishlist, like I did with Black Myth Wukong.

I think too many games come out. Unless you're really picky about what genres you play, than you're drowning in games to play.

dmaul1114

Yeah somethings going to have to give with huge budgets for single player games.

Sucks as I love AAA single player games with top notch graphics and production values. But the profit margin just isn’t there with so many (myself included) often waiting for sales and/or things to hit Gamepass, PS+ etc.

Add in younger generations are growing up just playing endless games like Minecraft, Fortnite etc. and not used to buying single player games, much less at full price, and things are unfortunately going to have to change. Especially as us middle age gamers eventually die off.

As others note, there’s also just too damn many games coming out—even AAA single player games—to keep up with. Publishers may be wise to cut back on how many are coming out to give each more time to sell and up profit margins some both by lowering costs (producing fewer games) and hopefully higher sales of the ones they do put out.

Last edited:

marjo

Here's the thing. New games aren't any better, even technically, than those from the last several years. So why pay new game prices, when you can pay 1/4 the price for those a little bit older?

Reaseru

You reap what you sow.

Raise the prices. no one wants to pay $70 plus tax for games.
Release everything on gamepass day one like complete morons.
Release everything on PS+ just one year later.
Make GaaS trash with gambling mechanics to turn your users into addicts that play just that one game and nothing else.
Make games for women instead of their audience which is primarily male.
The problem they don't just make games for women. Their bigger problem is that they (devs and publisher representatives) shit and insult with a passion the male audience through social media or via PR stuff like interview... they try to alienate on purpose the large majority of the AAA/AA gaming consumer market (and the ones who generally waste more money in gaming merchandise...playing candy crush for free is one thing, wasting money on games is another).

Last edited:

mitch1971

Gold Member
When Music became a click away - I hardly listen to it anymore considering it's availability.
When film and TV became easy to get and sub to - I hardly watch any of it.
When I use to download games illegally - More choice than ever, but played less of them than the ones purchased
Game subs - I've not bought a new release game in years.

When something becomes more commonly available it becomes less valuable and interesting to me. I can't explain why that happens.

yogaflame

Just few, not "No" for me. Just being careful and selective especially avoiding games with push and force narrative of twisted woke agenda.

Last edited:

dem

Kids don't play single player games anymore.

My kids would rather buy a Fortnite skin than a game they can't play with their friends.

The last single player game my kid actually played through was probably MW3.... because it was only a few hours.

Last edited:

aclar00

Partially true for me. Depends on the game and how much i want to play it. Got Stell Blade sitting in my cart right now waiting for a price drop, along with Astro Bot.

Honestly, its just as much a mini ptotest as it is cost savings. Only game and Playstation and Sony's price increases have been irritating and just have turned me off from paying full price. Even dropped PS+ when my sub expired in January. Just dont care for the nickel and diming.

Maybe it wouldnt bother me if i was solely and investor.

Edit: bought Ghost of Tsushima last Oct for $30 and im just now playing it. Just bought Forspoken last week for $20 but probably wont play for some time.

Last edited:

SHA

I'm about to beat New Vegas, Dragon Age Inquisition, BF Hardline; my upcoming games are,

Far cry 3,4,5
Jedi cross gen bundle
Senua's Saga :Hellblade II
Dragon age the veilguard
Dragon's Dogma 2
Baldur's Gate 3
Metaphor re fantazio

I like older games unless it's safe to get satisfying experience from day one.

Last edited:

A.Romero

I think they meant nobody is playing new games. However, games are selling.

At least among our community it is pretty common to buy and store for a later date (if ever).

Toons

Playtime

People are still buying new games, they just return to their favourite GaaS stuff when they're done with them. Nobody's made a Fortnite killer yet.

Topic ended here tbh.

This article actually provides a strong argument against a lot of rge sentiment here that GAAS are bad investments lol.

Me and my friends still play overwatch and apex legends and valorant years after release.

Toons

Complete delusion.

The most successful games of rhe last few years have by and large featured much of the same stuff you're talking about. Outlaws has a girl MC. Cyberpunk has gay bars and you can play as a trans character. Which one was more successful?

The GAAS that are still doing numbers also largely feature this stuff and they retain gsmeplay from. Wide swath of people. Theres really no comparison.

Not too surprising but I think the main reasons are as follows

1. New game releases are getting too expensive in this shit economy

2. More games than ever are live service and FTP. If they are spending money, it's on microtransactions and battle passes

3. The industry seems to be declining lately and people are fed up buying expensive broken/unfinished games on release day. It's better to wait until it's patched and goes on sale.

Top Bottom