• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nobody is buying new games anymore

EN250

Nobody buys any games or supply is outstripping demand + giant gaas games like for example GTA Online and Fortnite have an audience dedicated only to those games, same way FIFA/COD players religiously play only FIFA/COD annually, sucking the air of everything else? 🤷‍♂️

Like obviously! The pool of games released over 6 years ago is huge and getting bigger all the time.

Games released in last 3 years will of course be a much smaller number. It will be the same books, films and every other form of media!

Felessan

And watch the sales skyrocket
And... sales are iirelevant to the topic, so releasing these games will change mostly nothing.

Make games for women instead of their audience which is primarily male.
What is a problem with making games for women?
Genshin do it as many others - it's multiply you player base by 2 (and so is money) making it financially viable to add more and better content for both sides.
And it's not like girls and guys content is exclusive to certain side - girls like ~a bit~ of achievement and competition, guys like a bit of stories and even romance.

I have a long history of playing big MMO and MMO is a genre that try to cater to everyone, it's their lifeblood. The number of girls there disproportional to SP AAA games. mainly because it's a social environment, but other aspects also play a role.
And catering to many improves games greatly, it's much more interesting to have a good skill-based combat with good world-building, adventuring and various characters story, their deep relationships, some tragedy etc, than skill based game with story "me big, me kill-kill-kill" (typical male-only oriented story)

Last edited:

Danknugz

all i play is old roms, skater xl and lately cod cause it came to game pass. looking forward to black ops 6 and assetto corsa 2 but that's about it for me and new games. when games come up on the list to be removed from gamepass i'll usually play some of those while i still can, last month i finally played through walking dead season 1 and 2 on pc.

Raven117

Im sure this is very concerning news to the companies that didn't make those hits. And it explains why all are chasing that trend.

The industry really is in a sheet position right now.

Edmund

I just preordered silent hill 2 remake and bought astrobot last month.

Don't mix Nintendo/PlayStation fans with Xbox fans. We do buy our games and enjoy owning them.

Felessan

Im sure this is very concerning news to the companies that didn't make those hits. And it explains why all are chasing that trend.
They don't care. It's a different market.
Spiderman2 is 20 hour game. It takes around 600k players of Fortnite playing a hour a day to offset all sales to date of Spiderman2 in play hours in 1 year. But AAA games have much much higher conversion of playtime to money - Spiderman2 brings 50 times more money per hour spend in-game than Fortnite.

Last edited:

april6e

Games don't release complete on launch anymore. For example, a game like Diablo 4 or Remnant 2 is x2 better today than if you played it on launch. Also, if you just wait a month or two, you can get games almost half off on PC.

Release titles that are fully fleshed on launch like Space Marine 2 or Resident Evil 4 Remake and I'll pay full price.

Last edited:

dezzy8

I don’t anymore. They either drop in price in a month, or they’re unfinished and re release in a year with a definitive version with DLC and fixes. It’s not worth it to be a day one buyer anymore.

Raven117

They don't care. It's a different market.
Spiderman2 is 20 hour game. It takes around 600k players of Fortnite playing a hour a day to offset all sales to date of Spiderman2 in play hours in 1 year. But AAA games have much much higher conversion of playtime to money - Spiderman2 brings 50 times more money per hour spend in-game than Fortnite.
of course they care. Hence why they are all trying to make a GaaS game.

What a silly comment.

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
I blame Steam sales.

Black Friday Love GIF by Target

Dorago

The new games I've bought or played over the last few years: Elden Ring, Tears of the Kingdom, Unicorn Overlord, Lego Fortnite.

I purchased two dozen other catalog titles and re-releases that were all $20 or less.

It's a great time for older games because they're a known quantity, are in a fully playable state, and cost a fraction of what newer ones does.

For me personally I'm at the age where nostalgia is hitting hard so I am replaying some of the 2000s and 2010's classics from time to time. Got also a PS3 for the same reason.
Plus PS2 emulation.

So that doesn't leave a lot of time for new games. When you factor in the price, the state most of them are released and the fact that I've already played and seen it all, yeah...why buy it day one?
You and me both. Games before the woke takeover or games i missed. I go to antique/retro stores and pick up ps2/wii/gc/ps1 games and try them out. I got the following games on my last haul (ps2 and gamecube):
Soul Calibur 2, Mortal Kombat Armageddon, Mortal Kombat Sholin monks, Xenosaga, Arc the lad spirts something, Rune Viking Warrior, Rygar, 007 From Russia With Love (gamecube), Ape Escape3, Prince of Persia Sands of time. All for the cost of 1 new $70 game.

I have made similar trips and came back with a stack of 360/xb games (well the ones that play on the series x as I don't have original equipment for those).
Also for wii, I got 2 Trama center games, Prime3, little kings story, skyward sword, twilight princess, Muramasa, dead space extraction, all from 2nd hand shops.
Still some games are out of reach due to price. My limit is usually 50-60 for an old game, last semi-expensive ones were Silent hill downpour $50 and windwaker $45. I know i will never get back my pawned copies of SH1-4 grrr., or Xenosaga ep3.

It's crazy but I am having more fun playing shaolin monks then most games today. Add on all the switch ports and there you have it.
Most new games I play are turnbased strategy /city builders games on pc as I can play them while at work with the volume off.

Couple this with the fact many of the best dev/creators since the 90s will be around retirement age come the end of next gen + DEI, I don't have high hopes for the industry going forward. It's looking to become a pile of junk like Hollywood.

So I'm taking what I can get whilst we still have it good. Gimme all the remakes and remasters you can whilst theres still time!

Eventually I can see a scenario where most game release are:

1. Ultra safe or scaled back because of the lack of an audience as the upcoming generation are hooked on GAAS
2. DEI ridden and artisically bankrupt
3. Poor direction and artistic choices as all the old guard that have made gaming great since the 90s/00s have retired and moved on and the new modern crowd take the reigns.
What sucks is this same thing happened to music. Especially rock. The dying of rock and roll co-insides with the death of good film, tv and now video games.
It never got passed on to the youth. What did was corporatized slop. Not creative visions. What will the next generation create when all their nostalgia will be fortnite, roblox, all multiplayer social games. Not Mario, Baldurs gate, fallout, might and magic, doom, etc..

My path forward is build the backlog (well already over 1000s long so I am there) where I can retire in 23 years or so and game then (if we don't blow each other up before that)
My concern is that some of the servers for old digital games will be gone where ms /sony doesn't let you re-download. Or original hardware is too expensive to buy as others are doing the same.
You can emulate up to a ps2 today on a phone/tablet. Here's to hoping emulation and preservation gets done properly.

Felessan

of course they care. Hence why they are all trying to make a GaaS game.
What a silly comment.
They don't. In a sense "[excessive play hours are] very concerning news to the companies that didn't make those hits".
Companies wants gaas success the same way they want to own ecosystem - they want a constant predictable stream of money. And they want a place in future gaming landscape.
It's a diffrent stream of business compared to classic games with different set of rules etc.

Raven117

They don't. In a sense "[excessive play hours are] very concerning news to the companies that didn't make those hits".
Companies wants gaas success the same way they want to own ecosystem - they want a constant predictable stream of money. And they want a place in future gaming landscape.
It's a diffrent stream of business compared to classic games with different set of rules etc.
If you don't think that companies who didn't snag the GaaS trend are concerned about that...you have absolutely no sense of business.

Just look at all the companies trying to cash in on that. Almost all major publishers have tried.

nemiroff

Gold Member
After pages I still haven't seen op make an attempt at answering my question: The article appears to make no connection to sales, so how do you explain your headline?

Bored Cabin Fever GIF

Last edited:

Karak

You play everything. I don't know how you have the energy to do it.
IF, IF a day shows up, that I don't love games, technology, development, or coverage. I will quit instantly. I adore games even the shit ones that make me die inside. You won't ever even be able to think "hmm Karak doesn't sound like he likes playing bad games, or good games, or ANY games anymore" Cause the channel will be gone. That brings me a ton of energy. I guess a bit of proof of that is I don't do any sponsorships, I don't do any of all that shit. I love the medium.(not the game, the industry lol)

Though Gene Rain almost broke me.

Last edited:

Felessan

If you don't think that companies who didn't snag the GaaS trend are concerned about that...you have absolutely no sense of business.
Just look at all the companies trying to cash in on that. Almost all major publishers have tried.
You are spilling layman bullshit.
You just dont understand current structure of market. SP games are becoming a niche thing, it's still a significant value market, but it can't allow you to compete for market dominance at whole.
Market dominance strategy all involve switching to gaas to some point, as those are a king of game market. And major player who wants to be a relevant (big) players in the future they have to expand into gaas market. Or they will be wargames or even rts kings that "important" in their niche, but in the grand scale of things simply irrelevant.

Last edited:

Psychostar

I dunno guys but £70 is too steep a price for a video game that doesn't come in a fancy box with a cool manual and some stickers or some shit. If you want to raise an argument against why certain games don't sell well, that's mine.

I've got my fair share of collectors edition physical items that I don't regret dumping the cash on but I feel like things have become ridiculous. When you pay £70 for a DIGITAL item (and digital always come with downsides), you're laughing at your fanbase.

Psychostar

Collecting video game cases used to be part of the fun for me. Game art books etc. Maybe I'm showing my age but these things matter. Nobody cares about your digital game library.

Last edited:

Psychostar

Too many games. The industry is over saturated right now. Its in bad need of a correction.
Nah man it has nothing to do with that. The music industry doesn't suffer from 'too many albums'. When we used to collect dvd's we didn't say 'Damn there's too many movies'. Companies are getting greedy. Quality is going out of the window and people are getting wiser about their spending.

I still bought every game that caught my interest this year, and that was a LOT. That being said, I know that historically I'd have splashed out more comfortably had I felt I wasn't being squeezed on each choice.

I had to decide between whether to get Black Myth Wukong, Astrobot or Visions of Mana this month. I settled on Wukong and I am dying to pick up Astrobot but that is just going to have to wait because I won't spend 70 on another digital title. I can't swap that title with my friend to try out what he got once I'm done with it and I don't get to stick it in on display in my mancave.

TheShocker

I buy games still for sure. But now that I’ve moved to all digital I wait for reviews, tech comparisons, and mostly sales.

I’m tired of buying a full price game for a half baked experience.

Psychostar

I buy games still for sure. But now that I’ve moved to all digital I wait for reviews, tech comparisons, and mostly sales.

I’m tired of buying a full price game for a half baked experience.
This is exactly the point I'm trying to make. When I am buying digital I am more wary. I will see what my favorite content creators are discussing about it in their reviews, I will criticize the game myself and ensure I'm 100% on board with the experience I should expect from it when I go in and I sure as heck won't be buying 2 full priced games on the same day like I used to. Digital purchases lack humanity.

SyberWolf

i hope all these companies die and their IP's get bought by companies that actually care about making good games.
until then i will focus on the select few games that are still worth buying.

Psychostar

I think the only game that did digital right, and I mean truly right, was 'It Takes two'.

Hollow Knight too. I felt like I was stealing from them , getting what I did for what I paid. Ended up buying it on multiple consoles.

The fact that you buy 1 copy of that co-op game and your friend from the other side of the planet that can't afford it gets to play it with you for free as if he's sitting on the couch beside you, that's a good example of digital done right. To top that off, the game was fairly priced on top.

Go_Ly_Dow

What sucks is this same thing happened to music. Especially rock. The dying of rock and roll co-insides with the death of good film, tv and now video games.
It never got passed on to the youth. What did was corporatized slop. Not creative visions. What will the next generation create when all their nostalgia will be fortnite, roblox, all multiplayer social games. Not Mario, Baldurs gate, fallout, might and magic, doom, etc..

My path forward is build the backlog (well already over 1000s long so I am there) where I can retire in 23 years or so and game then (if we don't blow each other up before that)
My concern is that some of the servers for old digital games will be gone where ms /sony doesn't let you re-download. Or original hardware is too expensive to buy as others are doing the same.
You can emulate up to a ps2 today on a phone/tablet. Here's to hoping emulation and preservation gets done properly.
Yeah funnily enough me and my friend were talking about the death of rock and roll a few days ago. It just never got passed onto newer generations as you say which is a big shame.

Totally, we were blessed in the 90s and 00s to have a generation of intelligent talent who had creative freedom in a infant industry to make some really cool art in their games. Arguably the tech constraints also really pushed innovation and art direction, as well as vgm music too.

I am really enjoying the output from certain studios this generation and think this will last just about into next gen/PS6, but expect it to fizzle out beyond that. (which is why I'm cool with remakes/remasters of my fav games as the old devs won't work forever, Kojima, Nomura, Miyazaki and many others) At some point I'll have a massive library of about 7 generations worth of games to revisit and play the ones I never got round to, so all is well. I'll be gaming well into the future.

But I doubt I'll be tuning into the industry and carry excitement for new games expect for maybe a handful of titles. The industry will cater to the new audience then and it'll be an online/engagement focused I think. Hope I'm wrong of course.

Last edited:

amigastar

Guess what, Diablo 4 Vessel of Hatred will sell well
Civilization VII will also sell
GTA VI will sell
Stalker 2 will sell
Wukong sold well
so yeah people still buying games nowadays.

Last edited:

Psychostar

I still do, but only 2 or 3 games a year. With the disappointing FFXVI purchase, I think I didn't get my lesson yet.
Sorry to hear that mate. I personally enjoyed it despite some of the silly RPG scalebacks they went for in the game design. Clive Rosfield was a good main character in my opinion. The story and music was good stuff but I'm not against Final Fantasy as a series moving away from the old turn based stuff. I feel like there is room for innovation in the combat and I especially liked what they did with FF7:Rebirth for example.

Raven117

You are spilling layman bullshit.
You just dont understand current structure of market. SP games are becoming a niche thing, it's still a significant value market, but it can't allow you to compete for market dominance at whole.
Market dominance strategy all involve switching to gaas to some point, as those are a king of game market. And major player who wants to be a relevant (big) players in the future they have to expand into gaas market. Or they will be wargames or even rts kings that "important" in their niche, but in the grand scale of things simply irrelevant.
Lol. Dude. They aren’t spending the kind of money that they do on a niche market. As much as you want the two markets to be separate, they aren’t. Just look at the state of the market. Just use your eyeballs. Clearly all of this is having an effect. It’s also not an accident that single player games quality in the AAA space has gone down.

You have convinced me your opinion is worthless on this issue.

bender

What time is it?
It's not really surprising considering the rise of GaaS which is why we see a lot of devs/pubs dipping their toes in that water. GTA VI will skew the numbers once it releases and it will be fascinating to watch how GTA:Online players will migrate and if Rockstar will have the same success selling virtual currency.

ap_puff

Aren't these stats misleading considering the #1 game being played is Fortnite and it released in 2017, which coincidentally matches the 6+ year old category? This feels like one of those research papers where they game the parameters to find something that looks statistically significant but isn't actually.

We just had 3 years in a row with really strong-selling new games in Hogwarts, Elden Ring, the Sony first parties, Zelda, BG3, Helldivers, Palworld, Black Myth Wukong

mdkirby

Nowadays you are paying for a worst experience if you buy a game day one. Why would you pay $70 to essentially be a beta tester when you can wait 2-3 months and pay less with a better experience once the game has been patched.
It’s worse than that, not only are they launching broken, but they often aren’t fully feature and story complete until about 18 months after launch, once all the expansions are out and they’ve added all the quality of life updates and other additions…AND it’s cheaper

Mercador

Sorry to hear that mate. I personally enjoyed it despite some of the silly RPG scalebacks they went for in the game design. Clive Rosfield was a good main character in my opinion. The story and music was good stuff but I'm not against Final Fantasy as a series moving away from the old turn based stuff. I feel like there is room for innovation in the combat and I especially liked what they did with FF7:Rebirth for example.
It's not bad per se but I see myself forcing me to play it, that's not normal. I like the visuals, the soundtrack is good, the story is intriguing but I feel I'm looking at a movie and sometimes, I do almost always the same combos on sponge enemy, waiting to get my max powers to be used. Side quests are also meaningless, it doesn't help. I don't know how much hours is left
(just got my chocobo)
but since I purchased it full price, the cost sunk fallacy will force me to complete it, just because I feel the aversion of having made a bad purchase.

Iced Arcade

People are more cautious about entertainment dollars now. lower price tags people were more open to giving a new game a try and taking a chance.

Top Bottom