• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia N8

Status
Not open for further replies.

CiSTM

Banned
Nokia's first Symbian 3 phone. Specs look decent enough but nothing special. Personally I'm pretty much done with Symbian phones but if someone is interested here is some info.

http://events.nokia.com/NokiaN8/

System: WCDMA 850/900/1700/1900/2100 and GSM/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900

Form Factor: Touch screen monoblock

Dimensions: 113.5 x 59.12 x 12.9 mm (L x W x H)

Weight: 135g

Display: 3.5 inch widescreen (640 x 360 pixels) capacitive touch

Battery: 1200mAh BL-4D

Memory: 16GB mass memory + micro SD card slot, 135MB internal memory, support up to 32GB memory cards. RAM256 ROM512

Video Playback: Video recording, Performance: encoding 25fps, decoding 30fps,

File Formats: H.264, MPEG-4, VC-1, H.263, Real Video 10, ON2 VP6, Flash video

Music Playback: FM radio, FM transmitter, MP3 player,

Supported codecs: MP3,AAC,eAAC, eAAC+,WMA,AMR-WB, DRM support, DRM: OMA DRM 2.0

Main Camera:
• Lens: Carl Zeiss optics
• Image capture: 12 megapixels
• Video capture: HD 720p
• Aperture: F2.8
• Focal length: 5.4
• Flash: Xenon flash

Connectivity:
• Nokia Adapter Cable for HDMI CA-156
• WLAN IEEE802.11 b/g/n
• BT2.1 with support for stereo headsets
• Positioning with GPS, A-GPS, WLAN and Cell-ID
• Micro-USB 2.0 high speed for file transfers and charging
• USB On-the-Go
• Nokia AV connector 3.5 mm for audio input/output and TV out

Available colors:
• Dark Grey
• Silver White
• Green
• Blue
• Orange

Nokia N8 Highlights:
HD quality imaging and cinematic sound
• Shoot and edit photos and video with supreme clarity of a 12
MP camera with Carl Zeiss optics
• Dolby Digital Plus Surround Sound and HDMI connection to a
home entertainment system
Personalization capabilities for a truly individual experience
• Personal touches come to life on three fully customizable
home screens
• Instant access to Ovi Store’s apps, games and other cool
content
• Web TV delivers local and global TV favorites right to the
home screen
A seamless and fully integrated social network experience
• Get live updates from Facebook, Twitter, and RenRen pushed
right to your home screen, with feeds visible at a single
glance
• Connect from anywhere on your phone—your home screen,
contacts, or map
• Enrich your social network experience with content from your
phone including pictures, location and more
Free navigation, forever
• Free worldwide satellite car and walk navigation from Ovi
Maps in over 70 countries
• Built in premium guides from Lonely Plan and Via Michelin for
tips on travel, restaurants, weather, and hotels

Touchscreens have been pretty poor in previous Nokias but N8 should fix that problem.
- "Usability enhancements across the user interface, including single tap, multi-touch and
support for gestures such as “pinch-to-zoom.”

e7xqwx.png

24bvl9c.png

zteptz.jpg

glaurung

The shape of the thing is really bad for me. I can imagine holding it now, the corners all slippery and weird.

And also: no Maemo, no sale.

Nander

Symbian 3? I thought Nokia was going with Meemo/Meego for their smartphones?

Anyone know if Nokia is planning to update their 8-series phones anytime soon? I've been so happy with both my current 8600 (and my old 8800) but it's getting a bit outdated now.

CiSTM

Banned
glaurung said:
The shape of the thing is really bad for me. I can imagine holding it now, the corners all slippery and weird.

And also: no Maemo, no sale.

Didn't you hear, Nokia ditched Maemo :lol Meego is the next shit. Meego phones will be out in 2010 too but haven't been yet announced.

CiSTM

Banned
oh and it has OLED screen. here are the operating times:

• Talk time (GSM/WCDMA) – 12/5 h 50min
• Standby (GSM/WCDMA) – 390/400 h
• Video record – 3 h 20 min
• Music playback – 50 h
• Video playback – 7 h
• Video playback with HDMI – 6 h
• Web TV – 3 h 20 min

Rad-

At first it seems kind of pointless (considering Meego is just coming) but the price is the main factor here. Quite cheap for a smart phone. And camera seems amazing as well.

glaurung

CiSTM said:
Didn't you hear, Nokia ditched Maemo :lol Meego is the next shit. Meego phones will be out in 2010 too but haven't been yet announced.
Really? That's news for me.

Makes little difference though. Once the next iPhone is out, I'll be getting that one.

CiSTM

Banned
glaurung said:
Really? That's news for me.

Makes little difference though. Once the next iPhone is out, I'll be getting that one.
I'm currently using iPhone and I'm pretty happy with it but I have to say that new iPhone has to be really good if I'm going to buy it. Samsung has been pretty impressive lately with their android phones and I'm gonna change my Iphone to samsung as soon as my iphone contract is up.

keuja

The N8 looks ok but I’m bored of Nokia and I don’t really care about the cameras on my phone…
So… I’m really hesitating between the new iPhone and android 2.2 (N1 or HTC desire for instance)
Never had any of those OS but at the moment I’d lean more toward android for its openness (the xda community seems very active) and I’d hate having to go through itunes for everything.
That being said, the new iphone looks really sleek, love the design. Hmmm so still on the fence, I guess I’ll wait for the reviews …

aoi tsuki

i hate the tapered shape and the choice of "fun" colors is lacking a red but the capabilities of the camera, along with the hardware, OS, and an actually tolerable intro price point have my interest picqued. Form factor aside, this looks like the device the N97 should've been. i'll hold off until a few reviews and maybe a price drop before picking one up.

aoi tsuki

mantidor said:
Looks great, but the real proof is taking photos in the dark.

I'm interested, and I'm way too used to symbian and nokia maps to change now, but no
physical keyboard, no sale. I can't stand touchscreen only input.
30apr10nokia095n98.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/02/nokia-n98-leak-validated-by-n8-is-there-a-qwerty-slider-brewing/

The keyboard in that render looks as uncomfortable as on the N97 so i'm hoping they've thought to improve on it. i think i'll be fine with the soft keyboard on the N8, though i'd love it if the Nokia keyboard was like HTC's.

CiSTM

Banned
mantidor said:
Looks great, but the real proof is taking photos in the dark.

I'm interested, and I'm way too used to symbian and nokia maps to change now, but no physical keyboard, no sale. I can't stand touchscreen only input.

Shouldn't be a problem:

N82 did fantastic job already and I doubt they are taking steps backwards when it comes to N8's camera. check out the pics here

btw: here are some pics taken with N8 http://conversations.nokia.com/2010...xel-sample-photos-shot-on-nokia-n8-untouched/

No retouch, pretty amazing I have to say. Finally a camera phone with decent size of lens... I'm still not going to buy it.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
pseudocaesar said:
I remember about 5 years ago when Nokia were the absolute coolest shit going. Now I just look at it and go meh.

there N95 is the new 3310

gimmmick

Not having any experience with Symbian, I'm still very interested to see how well this phone stacks up against the competition. I'm interested on investing in one (the camera is the selling point for me, but the specs on the other hand... but in the end it is how well the OS runs with the phone), but will be waiting for official reviews for this phone.

But sweet Jesus, what an amazing camera on a cell phone :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom