• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Non-Muslims 'advised' to stay out of Kuala Lumpur on 16 September

Status
Not open for further replies.
Malaysia, the polished turd of Southeast Asia, is at it again.

To give a very quick summary, Malaysia is a banana republic that has not had a change in government in its 50+ year history. Unsurprisingly, people are starting to get a little sick of this, which resulted in large anti government protests last month.

Despite being a bunch of incompetent buffoons, one thing the Malaysian government has been adept in is dividing its people across racial lines, and has encouraged the perception that the recent anti-government protests were in fact anti Malay protests (Malays are the majority race in Malaysia). This has in turn sparked counter demonstrations that have taken a decidedly racial, religious and violent tone:

Non-Muslims should avoid the city on September 16 to prevent provoking the red-shirted participants of the planned rally for Malays, activist Datuk Jamal Md Yunos said today.

Jamal, who heads a self-styled coalition of Malay groups, reportedly said he thinks it will be best for non-Muslims to follow the advice in messages being spread on social media for the latter group not to turn up at the city centre on Malaysia Day.

He said his own red shirt group has cancelled plans to turn up and stage a counter-rally to the Bersih 4 rally last month, as emotions may run high during such gatherings.

“These kinds of rallies are demonstrations. So those who come may be over-emotional.

“If they see a rival group during the rally, of course there will be provocation,”
the Gabungan NGO-NGO Melayu chairman was quoted telling news portal Malaysiakini.

- See more at: http://www.themalaymailonline.com/m...ally-non-muslims-advised#sthash.zSqDYCfa.dpuf

http://www.themalaymailonline.com/m...on-during-red-shirt-rally-non-muslims-advised

Apologies for the rather aggressive tone of my post. It just so happens I have a flight to Malaysia and will be arriving in KL on the 16th, so I hope you can understand while I'm a little cheesed off.

Chuckie

Sounds like the Chinese have to be very very careful over there.

This situation reminds me way too much off Indonesia in 1998. Protests and riots also let to the downfall of a dictator (which is a good thing) but in the process lots of Chinese were raped and killed.

tauke

I attended the clean election rally and almost no Malay in sight. Methinks they are cool with the status quo.

Somehow I miss you when I attended the Bersih rally!

I live within 30 mins walking distance from the proposed anti-Non Muslims rally so hopefully I'm still alive after September 16.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's strange, I have a lot of a family that live in Malyasia, and they just take the whole 'separate but equal' thing in stride. They just accept that being ethnically Chinese means they get certain rights (ie, Muslim laws don't apply to them) but deal with the fact that they are shut out politically from positions of power.

I assume that Indian Malaysians are in a similar position as well.

Faiz

Sounds like the Chinese have to be very very careful over there.

This situation reminds me way too much off Indonesia in 1998. Protests and riots also let to the downfall of a dictator (which is a good thing) but in the process lots of Chinese were raped and killed.

Buddy of mine at work is Chinese from Malaysia. He gripes about this stuff with some regularity. Both he and his sister left years ago but his parents are still there.

Falk

that puzzling face
Just to put things in context, I doubt anything terrible is going to happen. It's more of a "why take unnecessary risks" and a lot of grandstanding by folks who have a demonstrable history of grandstanding.

Unfortunately nothing is going to change the status quo in the country and it'll just continue the brain drain that's been occurring for decades.

Catshade

Must read for anyone not familiar with the Malaysian racial problem.

Malaysia has a vast system of institutionalized preferences for Malays, the majority of the population, which grants them economic and other privileges over ethnic Chinese, Indians and other minorities. Although in place for more than four decades, these policies have failed to significantly help poor Malays. At the same time, they have created a grand quid pro quo between other segments of the Malay population and the UMNO government: For fear of losing their advantages, beneficiaries of the preferences don’t hold UMNO to account when it falls short.

Malaysia’s affirmative action program was supposed to right a historical wrong. In 1969, deadly racial riots broke out between Malays and Chinese in several cities, and the country was placed under emergency rule. UMNO blamed British colonists for the unrest, claiming that until Malaya’s independence in 1957 they had sidelined Malays and favored the Chinese in the economy. In 1970, the population of Malaysia was about 53 percent Malay, 36 percent Chinese and 11 percent Indian, yet Malays held only 2.4 percent of all shares in the stock market, whereas the Chinese controlled 27 percent (Indians had about 1 percent, with the bulk, more than 63 percent, in foreign hands).

When the state of emergency was lifted in 1971, the government promulgated the New Economic Policy (NEP), giving Malays (officially called bumiputera) preferential treatment in all spheres of public life. Senior positions in the civil service were reserved for Malays. Special schools were established for them exclusively. It was decided bumiputera should control 30 percent of all corporate equity by 1990. Malay home buyers were entitled to a discount of 5 to 15 percent on new developments.

The NEP was ostensibly designed to uplift Malays, but it soon became a means for UMNO to cement political support, creating a rentier system with dubious economic results.

Interesting. Sounds a little like South Africa.

I'm not sure the similarities are that large, but it's a complicated one with a huge majority base being the ones who are 'poorer' ala South Africa.

The problem is that doesn't excuse bullshit that happens in Malaysia

but the other problem is, that you get a lot of the Chinese Malaysians saying how unfair and corrupt Malaysia is and how they use it against Chinese!!! Forgetting that it isn't Muslim corruption, or Malay Corruption... it's good old fashioned developing country corruption, and it'd be there no matter what. Look at... China.

Chuckie

but the other problem is, that you get a lot of the Chinese Malaysians saying how unfair and corrupt Malaysia is and how they use it against Chinese!!! Forgetting that it isn't Muslim corruption, or Malay Corruption... it's good old fashioned developing country corruption, and it'd be there no matter what. Look at... China.

The problem is that Chinese complain about a system that is in fact is unfair against Chinese and Indian Malays?

Ok.

The problem is that Chinese complain about a system that is in fact is unfair against Chinese and Indian Malays?

Ok.

What I meant to say is that there is a lot of ethnic backlash which can get quite unfair and spiteful towards Malays. My soon to be wife is Chinese, with her family coming from Malaysia, and whenever we are back in Penang or KL all they do is trash talk Malays and Indians, and most of her family and now I've noticed most of my Chinese Malaysian friends (Living in Melbourne, Australia so quite a few) do the same. It's sad :( I always thought Malaysia was somewhere where most people got along.

tauke

What I meant to say is that there is a lot of ethnic backlash which can get quite unfair and spiteful towards Malays. My soon to be wife is Chinese, with her family coming from Malaysia, and whenever we are back in Penang or KL all they do is trash talk Malays and Indians, and most of her family and now I've noticed most of my Chinese Malaysian friends (Living in Melbourne, Australia so quite a few) do the same. It's sad :( I always thought Malaysia was somewhere where most people got along.

It's pretty hard to say as from my point of view, the politicians are screwing the citizens really bad and there are equally corrupted Chinese and Indians too!

So what I (and all of those who attended the recent rally) is a new government from the current opposition party as the current ruling government are the reason why such disparity and rampant corruption happens.

Renekton

We entered market economy and democracy far earlier than China, backed by sweet port location, few natural disasters, tons of natural resources including petroleum. Then there's Singapore serving a constant reminder what could have been if they led us instead.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Religion is like a virus. Corrupts everything and keeps spreading. Brings segregation in society and probably one of the biggest causes of suffering in this world.

keuja

So you provoke them just by being non muslim, which is judged by the color of your skin...
Malaysia is really becoming a shithole.

Been catching the drama lately since 1MDB, and I get the whole Bersih rallies and how there's already been a number of them in the past as well... but uh yeahhh, as an outsider (Canadian), after weeks of hearing about it I still just reallllly don't get what the purpose of the red shirts is. Had some terrifying comments of their plans before the Bersih rally, showing off their "self defense" training and demos in preparation for "potential violence" during Bersih and that's all I really see.

Bersih has the clear message of demanding clean elections, but what's the red shirt's message? Rally... for what? It's just a rally against a rally for being a rally? The anti-Chinese subtext is clear but that can't possibly the exterior cause... right? It just seems so blatant...

Catshade

So you provoke them just by being non muslim, which is judged by the color of your skin...
Malaysia is really becoming a shithole.

In Malaysia, religion and ethnicity are weirdly interlinked.

KUALA LUMPUR, June 24 — Chinese Muslims converts are baulking at taking Malay or Arabic names upon embracing Islam, claiming the discriminatory practice forces them to abandon their culture and traditions.

Several Chinese Muslims in Malaysia are fighting for the right to keep their original names, in defiance of the convention of replacing their surname with ‘Abdullah’, in a bid to keep their culture alive.

“I will not change my ethnicity. I was born Chinese and I will die Chinese, I will not become Malay.

“I did not want to change my name to show that Islam is a universal religion for all nations, not just for the Arabs or Malays only,” the Malaysian Chinese Muslim Association (MACMA) Malacca president Lim Jooi Soon told the BBC in a recent interview.

Madness

I wonder if Malaysians even understand the true history of their country. Ethnic Malaysians are thought to descend from groups of ancient austronesian, Chinese and South Indians. The very nature of the country today is one of a massive melting pot of several different groups, cultures and languages. Islam is a foreign religion to the country, introduced only in the 16th century and yet, it's now inextricably linked to the nation as its become the majority. Saying that non-muslims should avoid areas is ridiculous.

I wonder if Malaysians even understand the true history of their country. Ethnic Malaysians are thought to descend from groups of ancient austronesian, Chinese and South Indians. The very nature of the country today is one of a massive melting pot of several different groups, cultures and languages. Islam is a foreign religion to the country, introduced only in the 16th century and yet, it's now inextricably linked to the nation as its become the majority. Saying that non-muslims should avoid areas is ridiculous.

Politics, man.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I remember reading about a case where a woman who converted to Islam died and her family had to fight the court to allow them to have a Buddhist funeral for her.

We entered market economy and democracy far earlier than China, backed by sweet port location, few natural disasters, tons of natural resources including petroleum. Then there's Singapore serving a constant reminder what could have been if they led us instead.
I still find it crazy that Singapore is the only country to have been created by being kicked out of another country.

As a Singaporean I'm glad we got out of this shit 50 years ago. Hope you guys remain safe.

Things can change easily too , its great that we have an system that integrate all races and religion from young but unfairness still exist in some places
coughmalaysintheairforceegcough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom