• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Non-removable plastic bottle caps

BlackTron

I know it seems dumb but it might actually make a difference. I know I heard straws don't get recycled because they get separated from the cups that do (thus the terrible paper ones), so it wouldn't surprise me if they actually did this in response to receiving back massively more bottles than caps.

Reactions: Alx

anthony2690

As someone who buys and drinks a 1.5litre bottle of Evian every single day, I hate these new bottle caps!

The amount of times I have had water leak out the cap now, is incredible frustrating too!

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Most pop the lid back on when they're finished anyway so I don't see the point.
It'll be because the numbers are so huge that if even what seems like a small number of bottles and caps aren't properly recycled or disposed of, millions of them will end up in rivers, the sea or wherever else.

So, even if the hard of thinking do decide to make a brave and courageous stand by ripping the cap off to prove a point, the chances are that it'll still be a net positive.

T8SC

When you have a protein shake/milk shake, it always fucking drips on your face/clothes because of the milk that's still in the cap from shaking it.

I understand the idea but shouldn't be used on every type of bottle.

Tams

I just rip them off
jb7FfTw.jpeg

I've reported you to Europol!

ShadowNate

I've actually got used to this change and I find it an improvement over the standard detached cap.

I hate the paper straws. Hate.

-BLITZ-

The idea is that the drink cap no longer ends up alone in the oceans, swallowed by mammals of certain sizes that can choke on them and die. Also valid on the surface, like stray dogs who can consider these things toys. At least, now, the materials that formed the product are in one place. The reality is that many throw away the caps and bottles separately. I once followed an association that strictly collected caps and I didn't think that you could collect whole bags just from something like that.

Last edited:

Nydius

I know I heard straws don't get recycled because they get separated from the cups that do

Straws don’t get recycled because they’re too small and thin for the recycling machinery to break down. They also have a nasty habit of getting into the machinery itself and causing jams. Same goes for the standard plastic shopping bags (referred to as “T-shirt” bags).

Even if every plastic straw ever used was still attached to plastic cups, they’d be picked out at the processing plant and thrown away anyway. (The plastic lids also usually get thrown away.)

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Is tethering the cap going to magically change the fact that, of all the plastic bottles submitted for recycling, only ~5% actually get recycled? Or the fact that “virgin” plastic is still significantly cheaper than recycled or mixed recycled plastic? Is it going to suddenly solve littering?

No?

So it’s just performative nonsense then, like most government initiatives.

As an aside, what fascinates (and frustrates) me is how there’s seemingly no uniform standard for recycling. Some places require caps off, some say leave the caps on. Some places require rinsing before recycling, some don’t.

I digress. Despite the awful styrofoam fast food packaging and leaded gasoline, I’m pretty sure we were all more environmentally friendly in the 80s, before we were all sold the myth of infinitely recycleable plastic. Stores used paper bags, only 2 liters of soda came in plastic, 16oz bottles were glass. Condiment jars were glass, and eggs were in cardboard cartons, not styrofoam or plastic clamshells. I found an old family dinner picture from visiting my grandparents in 1983 and the only plastic in the entire picture were my parents cigarette lighters.
The EU is working, for example, to mandate the plastic in cars be made from recycled material. Simply to force them to use it and make a viable industry out of recycling plastic. Once the industry is there and payed by car manufacturers, it should become viable to recycle and be cheaper than "new" plastic.

You got to start somewhere.

Gp1

I just break them off, only takes a few twists and a snap.

1947- In 2024 we'll have flying cars.

2024- We can't rip a f*** plastic cap out a plastic bottle

Those plastic bottles that are as thin as a plastic bag offends me way more.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Those plastic bottles that are as thin as a plastic bag offends me way more.
And those thin, soft, flexible ones are the ones with phthalates (the plasticizer agent that causes reproductive harm) and millions of microplastic particles (due to the flexibility and susceptibility to heat) going into your body. Hard plastics are much less of a health concern.

Destroying your health and helping a corporation's bottom line under pretenses of saving the environment.

John Bilbo

And those thin, soft, flexible ones are the ones with phthalates (the plasticizer agent that causes reproductive harm) and millions of microplastic particles (due to the flexibility and susceptibility to heat) going into your body. Hard plastics are much less of a health concern.

Destroying your health and helping a corporation's bottom line under pretenses of saving the environment.
I wonder if the plastic lining inside aluminium cans has this stuff in it too.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I wonder if the plastic lining inside aluminium cans has this stuff in it too.
Main concern with the can linings is BPAs, afaik. Which are also bad news.

The statement from Coca-Cola denying any harmful effects from the BPAs in their can liners does not exactly inspire confidence.

BPAs mimic estrogen in the body and can disrupt reproductive systems.

winjer

Gold Member
These caps are so annoying. It's impossible to drink anything with the cap attached.
I always rip off the cap, so I can drink it.
Seriously, this has to be one of the dumbest ideas ever. It only serves to annoy and does nothing to save the environment.

Don't think I've ever lost a plastic cap in my 40yo life. It reminds me of non-sense gov policy (green gesture politics) at the expense of citizens. If anything, they should move towards glass bottles and reduce the insane amount of plastic containers, all the more reason to do so with the increasing reports of plastic soda/water bottles containing microplastics affecting our health.

Denton

I would not mind it as much if it was actually possible to easily close and screw the bottle, but in like 4/5 attempts it requires extra fiddling and time and pisses me off. Also makes it impossible to close the fucking thing when driving.
So in the end, I usually just rip it off, thus defeating the purpose.
EU bureaucracy, EU bureaucracy never changes.

Dr. Suchong

When you have a protein shake/milk shake, it always fucking drips on your face/clothes because of the milk that's still in the cap from shaking it.

I understand the idea but shouldn't be used on every type of bottle.
This.
Yop on my top.
There's a song in that somewhere...

Z O N E

Majority of the time I drink from my tumbler anyway, so it doesn't bother me.

1 thing they could do to make it better is to make the part that keeps them connected longer so that the cap can bend all the way to prevent it scratching the shit out of your skin.

Top Bottom