• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Not sure where to start for Audio on my PC.

I have a PC living room gaming setup with an LG C2 attached. I'm not sure, but is setting up a sound system for a PC any more challenging than a TV itself? I'm new to this. Would also love some good recommendations on systems/receivers that are affordable ($600-700)

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I have a PC living room gaming setup with an LG C2 attached. I'm not sure, but is setting up a sound system for a PC any more challenging than a TV itself? I'm new to this. Would also love some good recommendations on systems/receivers that are affordable ($600-700)
Not different at all really unless the form factor is an issue for you. It was for me, so I bought a more discrete amp for my desktop

That sits under these risers

Which house these speakers

I use this DAC as well

Works well for desktop (seriously those speakers are *chef kiss* for near field listening at my desktop. Wound up putting in my subwoofer as well. I would not change a thing about the gear tbh. I might do some room treatments eventually, as that is by far my limiting factor.

Not different at all really unless the form factor is an issue for you. It was for me, so I bought a more discrete amp for my desktop

That sits under these risers

Which house these speakers

I use this DAC as well

Works well for desktop (seriously those speakers are *chef kiss* for near field listening at my desktop. Wound up putting in my subwoofer as well. I would not change a thing about the gear tbh. I might do some room treatments eventually, as that is by far my limiting factor.
That's pretty badass. However, id like to be able to have a 5.1 setup.

YCoCg

I have a PC living room gaming setup with an LG C2 attached. I'm not sure, but is setting up a sound system for a PC any more challenging than a TV itself?
Is the HDMI connected to the GPU? Then no, it shouldn't be any different as GPU's pass through the audio regardless of what you set to output, the only thing that would be "difficult" is going into Windows Sound Settings and changing it from a Stereo output to 5.1/7.1/Whatever your set up is.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
That's pretty badass. However, id like to be able to have a 5.1 setup.
I'd be lying if I said I did not want to get my desk to match my speakers. The pragmatist in me says I've already spent enough money.
N0g03Oc.jpeg

GHG

Gold Member

For the living room you want to get a good receiver and then build out your speakers from there.

The onkyo TX-NR6100 should be a good starting point, has hdmi 2.1 support along with atmos etc.

From there it's just a case of getting the right speakers to suit your needs/preferences and room environment.

As for whether it's more difficult, no it's not. You just select the appropriate output (2.1, 5.1, etc) for your setup. There's an in built sound test in windows that scales with all the options so you can easily check if it's set up right.

Last edited:

I_D

The hardest part is running the wires through the walls. The rest is easy.

If you want just PC-only speakers on your desk/small area, you can generally just plug them into the back of your motherboard, so you don't need any extra hardware. However, it's incredibly rare for PC-only speakers to have long enough cables to reach around an entire living room.

As such, chances are you want standard theater-style speakers, and your own custom-length speaker-wire. If that's the case, just buy some 10 or 12 gauge cable from Amazon for a few bucks.
After that, I strongly recommend Ebay for lightly-used audio equipment and a receiver. People sell last-gen stuff for insanely low prices, and the hardware is still basically perfect.

You'll want to make sure your receiver can output HDMI 2.1, but otherwise basically anything modern should be fine for your needs. I find Yamaha's stuff is easy to use, regarding receivers. In terms of speakers, I prefer Klipsch, but there are plenty of other good companies out there.

Top Bottom