• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Notable encounters you had with people, playing Online.

Notable for how funny they were, how sweet/generous they were, how embarrassing they were, so on.

This thread was inspired by, and is a tribute to the people on the opposite team that obliged me in a taunt dance battle, in Uncharted 4 Multiplayer, instead of shooting me down like simpletons when I tried to rev them moves up with them.

Dance Off Chris Pratt GIF

And for that one dude in Red Dead Redemption 1 Online, that called me every single slur in existence directed at Latinos, after I killed him.

Still remember you, buddy.

(If this thread was already made, let me know, please)

Last edited:

Holammer

I had a really good daily run in Warframe with randos where everyone did their part expertly. As we finish someone writes something to the effect of "We'll never play together again, but it was a honour". Hit everyone in the feels.

Then there was a game with two 40k larpers I messed with, grabbed a screenshot because my own joke amused me so much. Guardsmen-Of-Krieg probably remembers me with horror.
If you don't get it, walk away because it's fucking horrible.

B064174DCBAE7461B1BCC222D03D8F691176F906

Used to play OW with this dude at like 2am. It would me him and this other girl. I was the tank and she was the healer. I forget what he played in the game. The guy would lose his fucking mind whenever we lost and just start talking shit to almost everyone. He would leave me and the girl alone but everyone else was getting it. I would literally play the game just to hear him go on his rants. It made losing not so bad.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
My final match that made me put down online/competitive gaming for good was a rank up match in LoL and after dominating the team and winning, just before the end my team voted surrender 4 against 1(me) and obv we lost. That was it. Thats all it took after so much abuse and constant horrible matchmaking over the years I quit.

winjer

Gold Member
One time I was playing BF3 Rush on Kharg Island. My team is on defence.
Though I knew how to pilot choppers, I didn't usually go for them.
But at one point I managed to get one attack heli. Some random entered as the gunner.
Then I start piloting and he starts shooting. And somehow, we worked so well together, that we held the opposing team almost all by ourselves.
Almost the entire round, with no one able to shoots us down, while we racked over 100 kills and a ton of assists.
And we weren't camping in some stupid place that no one could find us.
We were on the point, flying and shooting through the builds. It was freaking epic.
By the end of the round we were both astonished at what we had done.

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
Back in late 90s or early 2000s I was a rather small character (greenhorne or beginner, that would be level 2/3 out of 9 available back in time) in Genesis MUD and a great adventurer named Ivy (level 7) saw I was struggling still with some quests and kills so she offered to help. She took me around, helped me grow almost two full levels killing kretans, krougs and orcs and gave me some platinum coins for my training sessions. I told her I would repay her as soon as possible and she just replied, "Remember this kindness and offer it back to others when able." I played that game for well over a decade and lived by that rule until my very last day there.

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
I was bullying some kid on Modern Warfare 2 (Xbox 360) back in the day when suddenly the whole lobby's voice chat icons lit up, everyone started to speak up in support. It was crazy, like having a surge of camaraderie. We all bullied him together.

Last edited:

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Back in the Lich King days of WoW, my friends and I at work started a guild called "Snood's Army" and my main character was named Snood.
At one point we were messing around near some graves, I forget where but it was in the old world.
Anyway, I laid down in a grave as a joke and the others gathered around me and started bowing and praying.
Now, we were on a PvP server, and were Alliance.
The next thing we know several Horde showed up, and instead of attacking they too gathered around the grave and started kneeling or bowing.
Next thing we know there's like 10 of them doing it.
We couldn't communicate but we all waved and laughed and went our separate ways.
The next day I posted on the official forums for our server about it, and one of the Horde guys who was there commented, saying
"I couldn't resist paying respects to someone who had their whole army around them in mourning."

I was pretty hardcore on on Uncharted 4 MP as well. I remember a few years ago, me and my pals came up against a team who were super loud on the mic, not insulting us but they were super confident going into the game. Me and my team had a private party so were completely silent. Anyways... the first encounter they pretty much kill us all... and they're so happy, taunting over our dead bodies too with the "pump it" taunt....

Me and my pals completely annihilated them after the first encounter, and it was just funny witnessing their confidence and esteem go steadily down the drain as the game progressed.. I could have sworn one of the dudes on the mic was about to tear up. By the end of the game their was just complete silence on their side. The game ended on a 40 kills (from us) and they had a measly 8 or something.

MiguelItUp

I'll never forget this. But it was one time I was playing Battlefield Vietnam FOREVER ago (clearly), lol. I was on a battleship that ended up sinking, and I was so far away from land that I for sure thought I was going to die. But a team mate flew over in a helicopter and dropped JUST low enough for me to get on and we took off. It felt like a movie. Especially since the helicopters would explode when they barely touch the water, so it was incredibly risky. But the fact that they came AND pulled it off was awesome, lol.

Last edited:

Bond007

Met a bunch of great guys in my teens playing Socom 1-3.
We eventually all moved onto Final Fantasy 11 for like a decade while also playing other games on and off- FF11 was our hub though.

Im 39 now- havent been in contact with any since my late 20s maybe. Great times though and fond memories

mitch1971

Gold Member
I very rarely get messages off random people on playstation. But, this one day, playing battlefield 3 on ps3, I killed a guy several times in the match so he sent me a message saying, '160 platinums, you need to get a life and go outside mate.' So I checked his profile and written back '5 platinums, you need to stay in more.' He replied with a lol.

nikos

Back in the early days of WoW, I decided to walk through the Deeprun Tram for some reason. Partway down the track, I found two people cybering. Once they realized I was there, they told me to GTFO and got incredibly defensive. Found it really funny at the time. They could've sent direct messages but decided to go to a remote location instead. I respect it.

A notable one in Elden Ring. Our coop password was 'hotdog'. One night night my buddies and I were summoning in Japanese players, and they were summoning in us. All for the Malaketh fight. So funny that we had the same PW. Ended up rolling with it and the boss was felled for everyone who needed it.

In VR, here's the most recent example. This session was so effing funny. The other two players were from Britain and the US South. Old, and clearly drunk.

Also. The entire community for Resistance 2 coop. Everyone was so nice and chill. That was such a fun little coop mode.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Don’t play online much but I played fallout 76 for a bit (and want to go back) and the people there were ridiculously nice. It easily has the nicest community of people I have met in a game ever. Super helpful and willing to teach.

I recommend playing just to meet them.

tommib

I’ll never forget the first time I was trolled playing Demon’s Souls during an invasion.

The whole OS was super slow when being in the menu to type a message so after getting invaded the guy sends me a message asking what my stats were and how many hours I had of playtime. While I’m slowly typing of course he back stabs me and recks me.

Funny and unjust in equal measures. He typed back: there’s no glory in battle.

Bluecondor

I used to play The Division and The Division 2 online. On the positive side, I met a solid group of guys who were great teammates.

On the humorous negative side, the one time I squaded up with a rando to go into the Dark Zone in the original Division on PS4. The standard practice when squading up was to create a party chat through the PS4 so that you could stay in constant communication. Long story short, the dude hated playing with me and started cussing me out. We went back and forth arguing a few times, and I just decided to quit playing and turned off The Division exiting to the main PS4 menu. I had forgotten that we were in a party chat and was muttering something about the dude, when he suddenly exclaimed, "I CAN HEAR YOU!!!!!! I'M GONNA COME TO YOUR HOUSE AND !%#^&$&*%^#*#*#(@#!!!"

For about 10 seconds, I was in complete confusion as to why I could still hear him, even though I had quit the game, and for a minute, I thought to myself "DID THIS DUDE HACK INTO MY PS4!?!?!" as my heart raced.

Then, I remembered the party chat and ended the session. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I was bullying some kid on Modern Warfare 2 (Xbox 360) back in the day when suddenly the whole lobby's voice chat icons lit up, everyone started to speak up in support. It was crazy, like having a surge of camaraderie. We all bullied him together.

Reminds me of this time a kid I played with. HE invited me into his chat to play OW. Then he tells me to go to another chat with another group of guys he's playing with. Then out of nowhere one of the guys in the group starts shitting on him saying "How did this kid get in here". I felt so damn bad for that kid and if it was real life I would have punched that guy in the face. I get it you don't want to play with kids but you don't need to shit on them online for no reason. The kid got all quiet and I just ended up leaving the chat cause it was getting weird. Even all the other people in the chat just kind of shut up you could tell they were getting uncomfortable as well.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Dungeon Defenders on Xbox 360 IIRC there was some unique pet you could unlock by lasting at least 25 waves in survival which took a really long time.

I started up a game as the mage guy and after a few waves I had a really great setup with all my towers placed, pretty much doing all the work for me.

Then some other guy joined my game as the knight. I told him what I was trying to get, which he thought was cool. I warned him that I already placed the max # of towers and that if he stuck around he wouldn’t get much XP from it, but he didn’t care.

So we both had a beer and chatted for like over an hour until we beat wave 25, unlocked our new pets, and went our separate ways.

killatopak

Gold Member
Well I met my friend's character inside the game and greeted each other and talked about the game and life. After a few minutes he started asking for my username and password.

Here's the kicker. My friend is actually sitting beside me while we were looking at his hacked character asking for my account details lol. We talked for a long time to that hacker and laughed all the way. I was mostly laughing at my friend next to me lmao.

Sadly I lost the full video so this will have to do. Was playing CoD gunfight with a random. Sadly my teammate was not having a good game and kept dying within the first ten seconds of the match, which you'll see in this vid, leaving me in a 1v2 situation almost every round. We went down 2-5 (6 is the win condition). And came back to win 6-5. These guys kept trash talking in between rounds. Vids only a min 30.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
My brother was playing Overwatch on Xbox and some Reddit or 4chan goon was playing against him and messaged him saying "Don't worry kid, you'll be good one day." I think my brother won the game but did cheap scrub tactics. Seen my brother type out a fucking ESSAY back, I was like "WTF are you doing? Delete all that. Just type one word back."

So he sent the kid a single word back "Virgin." The dude typed back "IMPLYING." Bro got called out and had no retort.

I was playing Ghost of Tsushima multiplayer with a friend to complete the raid chapters. We got grouped up with a random who ended up staying in touch with us to complete the subsequent chapters.

3 raid chapters later and we were basically friends despite not knowing each other in-person. Found out they were also Souls heads, so later we decided to squad up for a co-op Bloodborne run and the rest is history. Still haven't met them, but years later I still game with them consistently. Most recently completed Shadow of the Erdtree 2x, and we're currently doing a ng+4 Bloodborne run. Wouldn't have expected it at all from a random online encounter.

i still laugh at this one. Ah rocket League. Gotta love it when people call you out to 1v1 them and you absolutely embarrass them. I took this photo off the screen of a galaxy s7 that's how damn old it is.
jfgBOcV.jpeg

I really only play Hunt: Showdown and Helldivers online right now. Recently in Hunt I played with some randoms, we wiped a team with some really good teamwork without comms, start teabagging all at once in a circle at extract and suddenly everyone turned on mics and was laughing and saying bye. Very funny, should've clipped it.

my first ever mmo, final fantasy xiv. created a rogue. eventually reached the first boss fight. i'm beating on the boss like a maniac. boss finally goes down. feeling good, & then i get messaged by the tank: 'what were you doing? didn't you see those adds? i had to run around killing them. you're a dps character - that's your job! pay attention!'...

enjoyed the game ever after. thanks, whoever you were...

Roberts

Long time ago I used to play EA’s NHL online, very casually. I was playing against a Canadian guy one day and he sounded super stoned. He also told me that really needs to take a shit so i told him we can pause, because I’m in no hurry. He told me it is ok, he will manage. I scored two goals early on and started to feel bad for kicking his ass, especially after he told me his life was a mess. But he was also very funny, being perfectly self-aware about his predicament. Near the end of the game he started swearing and paused. Turns out he shit his pants a little, but he returned. We laughed about it, finished the game and that’s it - I never ever played and talked with him again after that.

El Muerto

Gold Member
I was playing Garry's Mod for the first time and got banned from a server. This was like 10+ years ago. I jumped in a random no kill server to see what this game is about. Learned how to spawn objects like steel girders, which were slow to spawn. Some butthole kids were shooting at me for no reason. Asked them why they were shooting at me if it's a no kill server. So i spawned a shit ton of steel girders. These kids were crying telling me to stop because their PCs couldnt process all the ones i was spawning and was locking up on them. One said their buddy had to reboot because his computer froze, other kid was in tears. They told on me and i got kicked out lol. I should of recorded it, it reminded me of the Duke Nukem ventrilo video.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
My final match that made me put down online/competitive gaming for good was a rank up match in LoL and after dominating the team and winning, just before the end my team voted surrender 4 against 1(me) and obv we lost. That was it. Thats all it took after so much abuse and constant horrible matchmaking over the years I quit.
Bro today we had a game that was very close. Totally winnable and their team made the incorrect play so they can’t end. We had massive scaling champs too, me being mundo. I just got to the point where I can tank all 5 comfortably and kill 2 solo.

My team votes to quit. I yelled wtf you idiots at my monitor.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Dude lost a TDM game with a full stack and a large lead against me and total randoms in MW3 on Xbox 360, and after ranting in the lobby for a bit he moved on to sending some Xbox voice messages.

Listening to that always brings a smile to my face. Didn't have a way to record the lobby back-and-forth voice chat unfortunately, it was probably even funnier.

Had plenty of encounters with notable streamers and pros in PUBG, Rocket League, Siege, and COD over the years.

PUBG was especially fun with that site that linked to people's streams at the point you kill them (or they kill you), lots of hilarious gamer rage from wannabe streamers back then. Thankfully I didn't try to stream and all my gamer rage evaporated into the ether.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I think theres a user here named ILikeFeet lol....someone named that helped me with a boss in Elden Ring a few days back. If that was you, thanks!!

I very rarely get messages off random people on playstation. But, this one day, playing battlefield 3 on ps3, I killed a guy several times in the match so he sent me a message saying, '160 platinums, you need to get a life and go outside mate.' So I checked his profile and written back '5 platinums, you need to stay in more.' He replied with a lol.
This is the most believable post here. Definitely strikes me at true.

It's 2006 and I'm 16 years old, playing Halo 2 when a guy asks me over voice chat "dude, is that your real voice or are you just fucking around?", he sounded high and like my voice was scinerly tripping him out.

I had an extremely nasally, high pitched voice as a teen, so I'm sure I sounded weird.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I only remember in Dark souls 2 playing online... When there was a naked character with only his helmet asking for mercy... But I hit him, and the guy in his underwear pulled out a Super Giant Hammer and I stayed like that 😨. And in one fell swoop he defeated.

Was the 0:00 weapon

Last edited:
I played Helldivers 2 with a group I didn't know who were obviously good friends with each other. They spoke in American Southern accents and were cracking actually funny jokes the whole time. I was playing without a mic.

At one point, we split up into two groups of 2. I was with a guy who kept dying over. And over. And over. His excuse was "This Grildon Tundy guy fuckin' suuuuuucks. " Cool. I'm muted and can't say otherwise, and since we were nowhere near the other group, they only had his word to go on. Meanwhile, I was doing all I could to save him as he ran into swarms like a dumbass.

When our scores come up in the post-game lobby, I had the most kills by far. Guy was still bitching right before, when his buddy just goes: "Grildon had a shit ton of kills...just saying." Awkward silence.

Sweet vindication.

Robb

Gold Member
One of the most funny to me was when I wrote “GG” in the chat in StarCraft 2 early on in the game and the guy just forfeited the game without anything even happening (I guess him assuming that I was about to cheese him). I didn’t even have a single unit on the field, well, except workers

mind-games-clap.gif

Last edited:

BlackTron

The Starcraft BW player who made a custom map you couldn't win because there was an impassable barrier and only his side had Vespene. Allowing him to tech up to air units and come get you.

So I said everything he wanted to hear to feel like a Big Man to enjoy his power trip, so he wouldn't just leave the game if I didn't engage, or suspect anything. I also did this to distract him from the fact that I had floated a barracks over to his side of the map and was making marines while he made a starport. I wanted max time for him to play sloppy and waste resources before realizing what I'd done, so I pretended what he did was bullshit and like the meager marines at my base were no match for the few wraiths he was sending over. Man, he loved it. "Ur nothing, u have no chance" etc etc

He suddenly went quiet when I attacked his control tower with a handful of marines to prevent cloaking. He tried to control the attack with wraiths but they're a poor matchup and I killed his eco in no time. I said you're so bad at this game you can't even win a match while cheating and he ragequit.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Would take me an afternoon to write out all my WoW experiences over the years, but I played Classic with a bunch in 2019 that I still play games with today and have met 4 of them in real life so far.

Not marrying any of them though.

Vlodril

I played the whole sith storyline on SWTOR co-op with a friend. I had the sith warrior and he had the sith inquisitor. We were both dps so getting into dungeons took quite a while and of course the quality of your teammates varied. At some point there was a dungeon i forget it's name were you fight a captain on a bridge. We kinda did terribly and failed a couple of times so usually people would get mad and drop the group by that point. The other teammates though were cool and kept trying until we all got it done. Got to talking them afterwards and apparently they also played the game as co-op with each other (tank and healer). From then on we did every dungeon with those guys. Instant joining and quality players. Whenever either team wanted to do a dungeon we just jumped in. Made the whole game much more enjoyable.

ThaGuy

I don't know if y'all remember fable 2 and 3 had the option of seeing other players that were playing the game at that moment wherever you were at in the game. So it was a bunch of orbs running around in areas and you can hear full conversations from all the ones you passed.

It was from teasing a person cause someone's character had an std or even just someone shouting cause they just been killed lol. And shout out to the guy who gave me a ton of money when I first started ☺️.

I was harassed for months in Ikariam (browser game) because I disagreed with a comment made in the internal e-mail of the alliance I was part of at the time.

I remember that the situation started more or less because a person was being punished for something, and I replied that I thought it was an exaggeration and unnecessary.

The leader of the alliance banned me, told everyone that I had provoked them, and ordered everyone to attack me. I tried to argue that I hadn't done any of that to other members and found out that most people online don't really care.

Details: The alliance leader even went to my profile on Orkut and started insulting the appearance of my girlfriend at the time.

Back to the game:

In Ikariam, things took quite a while to accomplish; it was an online browser game, so they used real-world time.

If someone from the same island as me were to attack, it could take about 20 minutes for them to reach my city. Coming from other islands, it could take up to 24 hours (probably more) if it was much farther away.

I was attacked by a girl who was on the same island as me; she sent some units to loot my city.

I used up all my resources, wood, wine, sulfur, etc., so she wouldn't have anything to steal. My strategy was to wait until there were 20 seconds left for her units to arrive at my city, then send everything

I had a rather modest amount of soldiers, but enough to breach the walls and steal from her city it if I wanted.

Note: The units don't cross paths along the way; they simply go or return from a location, and you can cancel to have them return, which also takes time. Since it was a browser game, the information didn't update in real-time, so doing this would ensure she wouldn't have time to return to her city.

After that, I received a message from the "general" of the alliance (yes, there are ranks). The game showed him when a member was being attacked. In the message, he DEMANDED that I stop my attack. I laughed and asked, "Why should I comply?" The guy cursed at me, and I simply ignored him.

I looted the girl's city and she got nothing from my city. Great.

The problem was that other alliance members were coming from various islands, some extremely far away. The time for the naval attacks ranged from 3 to 28 hours, just to give you an idea.

Note: In Ikariam, you first need to blockade the city with ships and then send the army to loot (this on another boat).

I had some plans to try to repel the attacks during the night; I even set an alarm to wake up early.

But something wonderful happened: The game was updated overnight. When the game updates, any of your units that were outside your city disappear for about 48 hours or so.

I woke up and checked, and there was no one coming to attack me anymore. Everyone was left without their ships and soldiers for this period, and I laughed a lot.

I was still threatened for a while, and they kept provoking. I remember a guy sending a lone ship, probably one of those who arrived late for the attack, about 20 hours away.

A few months passed, I joined another alliance, my cities prospered, and I discovered scripts that helped with better city management, and specifically one that attempted to find the coordinates of the islands where players had their cities (not 100% accurate).

I looked up the cities of the alliance leader and found him. He was far away from me, any attack would probably take more than a day to reach if it went straight. So I sent a spy there to check for defenses, and there weren't any.

Since the strongest members of the alliance were all together on that island, including the general, I figured the leader felt safe without an army. Great.

Around that time, the game added a new feature: You could conquer any city and send attacks from there. I checked a nearby island to see if anyone was at a low level. I found a level 1 city, messaged the owner saying I would take it for a day but wouldn't steal anything, and promised to give them resources afterward.

I sent my tiny army to conquer the city on the neighboring island. Once conquered, I waited until it was around 3 or 4 in the morning, and then sent about 5 or 10 soldiers (a ridiculously low number, the goal was to humiliate the guy) to loot the equivalent of what would fill up to 20 ships (the game's maximum).

Then I went to sleep.

The next day I checked to see if everything went well. The looting was a success; as there were no defending units in the city, my soldiers had a field day, and the alliance leader had activated the game's vacation mode.

The vacation mode is a feature where you can't be attacked while you're unavailable to play. The game's rules required that any player who activates the vacation mode is prohibited from playing for a minimum of 2 days. This was quite a humiliating feature to use; generally, it was for when you were receiving too many attacks and couldn't keep up with playing.

I laughed a lot and was quite pleased with myself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom