• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nov 4th JPN first day sales (Zelda TMC, DOAU, Shining Tears, etc.)

Found on Gamefront:

All these games were released yesterday:

1. The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (GBA, Nintendo)
58.000 St. [42 %]

2. Shining Tears (PS2, Sega)
53.000 St. [78 %]

3. Dead or Alive Ultimate (Xbox, Tecmo)
40.000 St. [72 %]

4. Arc the Lad Generations (PS2, Sony)
22.000 St. [44 %]

9. Neo Contra (PS2, Konami)
2.200 [17 %]

Before someone asks: Ninja Gaiden sold 32.802 units on its launch day.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Speaking of Zelda, anyone have impressions of it? I haven't seen anyone talk about it on this forum

joshschw

what do the percentages mean in brackets. At first I thought it was what percentage of system owners bought the games. But then i saw number 1, 2, 4 and 5.

SantaC

Wario64 said:
Speaking of Zelda, anyone have impressions of it? I haven't seen anyone talk about it on this forum

Yes. I haven't played it, but I talked to those who have and they said it's a big leap from Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons. They game resembles alttp. Very fun to play appearently.

Only downside I heard so far is that the game seems a little bit on the short side. Around 15-20 hours.

Wario64 said:

If you can get hold of it, get hold of the latest issue of UK mag: Games TM

It's the cover story, and it gets 9/10. Great review!

LowTecky

Yeah, I wonder why that is. The shipment should completely sell out within 3 days. I would expect the demand to be higher though.

SantaC

TheGreenGiant said:
that's quite long for a gba title. And a ARPG at that. I expect about 8-10 at most.

usually my zelda games gets 30-35 hours of playtime. But I really want to complete everything also.

SantaCruZer said:
usually my zelda games gets 30-35 hours of playtime. But I really want to complete everything also.

According to GamesTM, this game can be completed really quickly or really long depending on what kind of Zelda gamer you are. For the likes of ourselves (because I usually do as much as I can myself) - there is swordsman training, kinstone collection, and a figurine gallery. To paraphrase what they said for people wondering if this sounds like too much of a collectathon: they say it walks the fine line of fun and laboriousness, and sometimes threatens to leap onto the boring side, but never does. They say the world seems really small at first, and then after the first few events you get to realise how big it really is. The main quest is too short for their liking, but they say that each of the 6 dungeons is good. Apparently enemy difficulty, and health strikes the right balance in this game (perhaps they were thinking of TWW when they wrote this). Games TM too, also draw comparisons with link to the past, and the first time we took link adventuring. I am, personally, frothing. :D

Mrbob said:
It looks like Tecmo may have undershipped the initial shipment of DoA:U.

nah. I think they pretty much nailed the JPN installed base for xbox. That's it. Gamover for sales. The jpn DOA:U lovers are fapping away.

Prine

Banned
TheGreenGiant said:
nah. I think they pretty much nailed the JPN installed base for xbox. That's it. Gamover for sales. The jpn DOA:U lovers are fapping away.

yep, its all over for Japanese Xbox gamers. No more games left, sell your xboxes

Prine said:
yep, its all over for Japanese Xbox gamers. No more games left, sell your xboxes

I know you're being facetious but the other scary side to your comment is that its most probably true as well.

Mrbob

Do you think DoA:U will push hardware sales over 1K for the week?

GET YOUR PREDICTIONS IN NOW!

I say DoA:U helps sell 1023 Xboxen in Japan this week!

SantaC

radioheadrule83 said:
According to GamesTM, this game can be completed really quickly or really long depending on what kind of Zelda gamer you are. For the likes of ourselves (because I usually do as much as I can myself) - there is swordsman training, kinstone collection, and a figurine gallery. To paraphrase what they said for people wondering if this sounds like too much of a collectathon: they say it walks the fine line of fun and laboriousness, and sometimes threatens to leap onto the boring side, but never does. They say the world seems really small at first, and then after the first few events you get to realise how big it really is. The main quest is too short for their liking, but they say that each of the 6 dungeons is good. Apparently enemy difficulty, and health strikes the right balance in this game (perhaps they were thinking of TWW when they wrote this). Games TM too, also draw comparisons with link to the past, and the first time we took link adventuring. I am, personally, frothing. :D

Thank you. Sounds great afterall.

Prine

Banned
TheGreenGiant said:
I know you're being facetious but the other scary side to your comment is that its most probably true as well.

Na im being serious. Generation over for Xbox in Japan :lol

Prine said:
Na im being serious. Generation over for Xbox in Japan :lol

:lol

Mrbob said:
Do you think DoA:U will push hardware sales over 1K for the week?

GET YOUR PREDICTIONS IN NOW!

I say DoA:U helps sell 1023 Xboxen in Japan this week!

fun.

TGG says NO. Although breast power is great

lip lip my stockings.

Bebpo

Banned
Here in Japan I saw the biggest lines at the game store since July for DoAU. Bigger than anything released for PS2/GC. Xbox hardware was sold out everywhere.

So yea, Xbox will move some systems this week. Also Tecmo is getting nice and rich considering that DoAU costs $90 here and it's still selling that much.

Halo 2 should do pretty well next week. Probably not as well as DoAU but maybe 2/3rds the sales.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
WTF? Shining Tears came out already? And it did pretty damn well too. Holding your own with Zelda on a launch day is no small feat, GBA game or no.

Bebpo

Banned
bheemer said:
are games normally 90 bucks there? or are they selling it at a premium price??

Games are normally around $65-70 here for PS2. $55-60 for GC and ~$70-80 for Xbox. But Tecmo is selling their game at $90 just like DQVIII is going to be $90 because they know the games will sell regardless of the price.

jiggle

Most surprised by Shining Tears' #s. This should earn a pretty penny or two for Sega Sammy.

snaildog said:
What's Arc the Lad Generations? Is there a new one out or is it a compilation?

New game, sequel to Twilight I think(?), and online.

Bebpo

Banned
jiggle said:
Most surprised by Shining Tears' #s. This should earn a pretty penny or two for Sega Sammy.

Yeah I'm surprised too, especially since word of mouth isn't so hot for the game.

I guess spending all their money on a nice long opening anime sequence so that all the CMs can be 100% anime with no actually game footage paid off in the long run :p

john tv

Bebpo, did you get Shining Tears? Wondering how it is. The little mini-insert in Famitsu this week had me kinda curious about it...

Bebpo

Banned
john tv said:
Bebpo, did you get Shining Tears? Wondering how it is. The little mini-insert in Famitsu this week had me kinda curious about it...

I picked it up but I haven't even had a chance to put the game in, just watched the bonus disc with the FMV OP (which looked good) + new Shining Force trailer (which looked bad).

I'm almost finished with Stelladeus at the moment (DoAU unlocking sidetracked me for a few days), so I'm gonna wait until I wrap that up to start Shining Tears. I'll write up some thoughts on it after I get a few hours in. Though the comments on the gamefaqs board aren't looking that postive :\

duckroll

Wario64 said:

I completed it, it's a very good game but way too easy. I beat it over 2-3 days, tons of playing. Probably more than 10 hours, but definitely not close to 20 hours. But that's how long most Zeldas take me to complete so that's hardly anything to whine about.

I really liked how the game stayed innovative in puzzles and stuff even after so many Zelda games. I'm not sure if this is considered a real story spoiler so I'll tag it but
Minish Cap is pretty much as close to an official sequel to the Hyrule Adventure part of Four Swords as it can get.
There is tons to do outside of the required stuff to complete the game, so even after beating it or even before beating it, you can easily rack up another 5-10 hours.

The thing that bothered me most about the game was how weaksauce the fighting was. The enemies were weak shit, and aside from like 2 bosses or so, the bosses are ALL fucking weaksauce. Especially the final boss. >_<

While playing the game I felt it had potential to be better than Wind Waker, but sadly, it never reached this potential. It's close though, which isn't something to pass up. Great game by any standards especially Zelda ones, but please Capcom, for the next Zelda game you work on, MAKE IT HARDER! :)

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
john tv said:

I played it quite a lot at TGS and it was pretty fun. Multiplayer fun that is. I can see this game being really boring if you're playing by yourself. It was really fun playing it with my friend though.

And sadly, I was one of those bastards that had to shell out 9000 yen for DOAU. On the bright side, I got a mini Kasumi figure and poster! Woo!

.... :(

For those who got Minish Cap, is it easy to go through if your Japanese isn't that great? Mine is terrible, but I was really tempted to get it today.

duckroll

Reno said:
I played it quite a lot at TGS and it was pretty fun. Multiplayer fun that is. I can see this game being really boring if you're playing by yourself. It was really fun playing it with my friend though.

And sadly, I was one of those bastards that had to shell out 9000 yen for DOAU. On the bright side, I got a mini Kasumi figure and poster! Woo!

.... :(

For those who got Minish Cap, is it easy to go through if your Japanese isn't that great? Mine is terrible, but I was really tempted to get it today.

Hahahhahaahahahah! I got a Kasumi figure too! I only paid like 40 bucks for DoAU though! (Well, 69 Singapore dollars) Oh and I didnt have to wait a week either! Seriously, with the awesome prices MS has for Asian X-Box games, I'm surprised Japan is getting the shaft. :(

As for Minish Cap... you can play with completely no Japanese knowledge I suppose, but you'll miss out on obvious stuff and you basically miss out on all the text. It depends on what's important to you in a game I suppose. Completing the game will hardly be an issue if you're a Zelda veteran.

john tv

The kanji used in Minish Cap are like... roughly 3rd grade level or so. If this isn't a problem for you, you'll likely be fine, as it doesn't really have any difficult kanji. But if all you can read is regular kana, I'd imagine it's going to get frustrating for you at parts.

did you get Shining Tears? Wondering how it is. The little mini-insert in Famitsu this week had me kinda curious about it...

I've been playing it for a couple of hours now. It's pretty fun, awesome art, music and voices. The support character AI is pretty bad. Also, the scrolling is very choppy. I've never seen a 2D game run as choppy as this. I thought it was my TV at first, but then the thing started stuttering when large objects were moving around on screen.

Top Bottom