• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November Wrasslin |OT| CM Punk's Countdown to RESPECT

strobogo

Banned
Honestly, the attitude era was never about matches as much as it was about the moments and characters around the matches......and after the attitude era, nothing really lived up to five star match hype with the exception of maybe HBK vs Ric Flair at Wrestlemania 24 (at least IMO). Meltzer didn't give any five star ratings to matches from the US after the HBK HIAC till Joe vs Punk 2 in Ring Of Honor 2004.

Yeah, there weren't a lot of high quality TV matches before the Radicals/E&C vs Hardys vs Dudleys feud picked up. Weirdly, some of the best TV matches before that were at the very beginning of Val Venis' run where he was technically the main event match and would have long (for that era, which would be like 10 minute tv matches) puro style matches that seem so out of place. The first few months Val was probably the best TV worker in the company, mostly because he was one of the only guys getting a ton of in ring time.

This sounds like a fun idea from Gabe Sapolsky's facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/BookItGabe

OK, so here's the fantasy booking idea. I'd like to make this the Daily Discussion the next few days with each day focusing on a different talent.

So I was asking around as to why none of the awesome talent in developmental now are ever started on TV, especially with so many hours to fill and such a thin roster. The answer I got is because HHH doesn't want to start anyone on TV until creative comes up with a storyline for them. Now I don't know how accurate this is, don't report it as news. It's just what I heard through the grapevine. Well, this answer is unacceptable to me. I mean, it's the creative department's job to come up with storylines. What are they waiting around for? Is a storyline just going to fall from the sky or grow on a tree? HHH or Stephanie or Vince or whoever should walk into the next writer's meeting and say "we have Seth Rollins in developmental for the last couple of years. You three writers are assigned to him. You have
X amount of time to come up with a storyline for him or we'll find some people who can write one."

So my fantasy booking challenge is this. I'm head of WWE, you are a writer. I'm walking into you office and I will name a wrestler in developmental. You need to write up how you would introduce him, any changes to his gimmick/name, his first storyline/feud and how it will end. Then explain how this establishes him as a WWE superstar.

I'm thinking we'll pick one wrestler a day. Tomorrow we'll start with Seth Rollins. Other candidates will be Dean Ambrose, Kassius Ohno, Luke Harper, Bray Wyatt and PAC (not sure what his WWE name is yet). If you have any other suggestions let me know. We'll start this with the Daily Discussion tomorrow with Rollins and if it goes well we'll continue it until it slows down.

TheNatural

My Member!
You guys are over reacting. You're getting mad with an angle. It's working. Remember when Austin was crucified on Raw? But this is too far? Grow up its WWE they take advantage of everything.

I'm sure King doesn't have a problem with it, or they wouldn't be doing it. It's just classless to make light of a real heart attack and someone nearly dying. Maybe Lawler is cool with it, but it's not just about that, I'm sure everyone knows someone who had a heart attack and may have passed from it - so making like of a serious situation a couple months ago like that comes off as tasteless.

So far I've seen talk of an "affair" and jokes about how Cena is in bed, and tasteless heart attack jokes. How does WWE even pretend to keep its PG label? If they're going to focus on tasteless and pointless non PG angles, can I please get my bikini contests and Divas in Playboy back?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
welp they just advertised CM Punk vs Ryback in a WWE championship match for a house show here in Houston, so...

locked in until at least mid-January

somedevil

Man, that segment with Punk will people will either like or hate alot. I have to think about it more, but I still think Eddy is in hell and Trish barking like a dog is worse.

Striker

Why? That was awesome. That was attitude era funny. Punk even did the X. King is of course OK with this and signed off on it.

Wow @ Foley going nuts, get this bum out of the ring. Overacting idiot.
I didn't see the stuff, because I rather see Vince get more 2.4's. But doing things like Katie Vick is the type of shock humor and repulsive behavior we've seen in the AE. In this PG era, Vince is straight out making stories over a legitimate heart attack angle, one of which he was trying his hardest to parade around and make a good story out of. Turns around and does a mockery of it to get cheap heat.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Thats funny, because in just 5 minutes I was sadly reminded on how much better the commentary was with you gone Lawler.

Entropia

No One Remembers
MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! MILLIONS OF DOLLARS!

Kenobi

I'm sure King doesn't have a problem with it, or they wouldn't be doing it. It's just classless to make light of a real heart attack and someone nearly dying. Maybe Lawler is cool with it, but it's not just about that, I'm sure everyone knows someone who had a heart attack and may have passed from it - so making like of a serious situation a couple months ago like that comes off as tasteless.

So far I've seen talk of an "affair" and jokes about how Cena is in bed, and tasteless heart attack jokes. How does WWE even pretend to keep its PG label? If they're going to focus on tasteless and pointless non PG angles, can I please get my bikini contests and Divas in Playboy back?

I can see your point, but Lawler is always in controversy. The man that slapped the crap out of Kaufman on Letterman. The man that thru REAL Whiskey on a recovering alcoholics face (Jake)

It's Jerry fucking Lawler. He's a pro. He's fine. Might as well get worked up over Bret making fun of Steiner back in the wcw days for his "career ending injury" cause I knew dudes with back problems. BTW that was GOLD! I miss swerve angles done well.

Top Bottom