• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD June 2011 Sales Results [Update5: Most HW in, Infamous 2]

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
larvi said:
There were only 3 vendors where the purchases quailified for the promotion, Best Buy, Dell and HP. And it had to be a $700 and up purchase and even then Dell and HP limited it to only specific models. And you had to purchase it with a valid student ID. So this was a very small subset of the laptops purchased in the month.
Ok that makes more sense. Didn't realise it was a student promotion.
They had a similar buy laptop get xbox promotion here in Australia recently which was open to anyone.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
jvm, with the discrepancy between your projection and what Nintendo released, does that mean you need to recalculate sales from previous months? I ask because I used your numbers to keep track of hardware sales. Also, can you estimate PS3 sales now with both 360 and Wii sales up? Didn't NPD say somewhere that 360 made up 48% of console sales?

FrankT

For a month right after a Wii price drop it got smacked by 360.

Elios83 said:
So if 360 had 48% of console sales, it did 507k for the month while Wii did 273k, PS3 should be around 276k.

Which means it's cooked.

June NPD sales for Shadows of the Damned are pathetic. You can forget about a sequel. Alice: Madness Returns did much, much better, however.
hihi, No More Heroes 3 coming to Wii U.

I believe even madworld did much better than pathetic, correct?

outunderthestars said:
retailers took $200 off the laptop, then sold the 360 at full price. Amazon offers an automatic discount when you eventually buy the 360.

Having worked in retail for over a decade that sounds off.
Promotions are usually automatically done at the POS so you would scan the computer and 360 and the 360 would be deducted.
The only time I have ever taken money off the non bundled product is when there was an issue and the discount wasn't applied.

BurntPork said:
The market is much bigger than it was 6 years ago. In reality, in comparison to how the market is now, the 3DS would have to be selling twice what it is now to be comparable to the DS in 2005. Add in the DS's much stronger launch window sales, and it's clear that it's a flop of epic proportions. Again looking at the market proportionally, it's Virtual Boy 2. It's at the point that I changed my mind about buying it since it'll probably be on clearance by this time next year. Nintendo has lost it.

Troll post? Up to a year after the DS launched all you heard about was how it was a flop and Nintendo was confirmed for 3rd party.

Sadist

Is Buntpork having a meltdown?

Sales for 3DS aren't spectacular, but they are nowhere near a flop of epic proportions.

walking fiend said:
hihi, No More Heroes 3 coming to Wii U.

I believe even madworld did much better than pathetic, correct?
MadWorld did 123k in it's opening month.

seady

Way for system to be sccessul: make crappy games for it.

Wii hit a roadblock and stopped being successful until 2010 when it had tons of great games that year. Now 360 is selling hotcake when it stop having any single good exclusive coming for it.

I think Nintendo's main problem is that they haven't come up with any new casual software since that Brain Age, Nintendogs, WiiSports, WiiFit run they had. Those games were some of the biggest system sellers ever. They followed them up with WiiMusic which failed...And they haven't done anything new and interesting in the casual space since. They rehashed WiiSports but it had the Motion+ so it did well though it didn't push hardware. Nintendogs+Cats bombed. WiiPlay 2 bombed. No new casual stuff at e3.

BurntPork

Banned
outunderthestars said:
What? The market is shrinking. In case you haven't Noticed Apple released a couple of devices that seem to be taking up alot of people's time and money...
The types of people who would choose Angry Birds over games made by real studios would never be early adopters anyway. Apple's expanding the market, not taking away marketshare.

Kusagari

DR2K said:
Show me correlation to PSP sales slowing because of the iphone.

Casual gamers have no need for handhelds at that price with the rise of the iPhone and Android phones. Even kids, Nintendo's main audience on handhelds, are all starting to have cell phones at a young age.

Note, that I'm not saying that handheld gaming systems are dead. I'm saying that the market of people who would think about buying them at a price of $200+ has grown incredibly niche. The mass market has no real reason to buy them at such an exorbitant price.

TheNatural

My Member!
x Power Pad Death Stomp x said:
Troll post? Up to a year after the DS launched all you heard about was how it was a flop and Nintendo was confirmed for 3rd party.

He's obviously trolling, has no sense of scale of anything. Nintendo is getting what they asked for with this start, but it's obvious it's not going to get discontinued or anything, the guy is acting like an idiot.

Seda

So a Top Ten chart by SKU would look something like this:

-We know the top 2 games for sure: inFAMOUS 2 and The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D

-We know from MS's PR that Microsoft has four Xbox 360 games in the top ten by SKU: LA Noire, Duke Nukem Forever, Call of Duty: Black Ops, and NBA 2K11

-5 of the top ten games "play on Nintendo platforms" according to Nintendo's PR. I'm certain this doesn't necessarily mean that the Nintendo platform is the one the charted.

[369k] inFAMOUS 2 (PS3)*
[280k] Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS)*
LA Noire (360)*
Duke Nukem Forever (360)*
LA Noire (PS3)
Duke Nukem Forever (PS3)
Just Dance 2 (Wii)*
Call of Duty: Blacks Ops (360)*
Lego Pirates of the Caribbean (Wii)
NBA 2K11 (360)*

*=Confirmed in top ten

This would give the 5 games that "play on Nintendo platforms".

Obviously some placements are guesses.

outunderthestars said:
What? The market is shrinking. In case you haven't Noticed Apple released a couple of devices that seem to be taking up alot of people's time and money...
Saw 3 people on the train today playing thesame game.

Some shit where you slide your finger and the thing goes flying.

The M.O.B

If you DID NOT buy SotD or Alice, you are indeed part of the problem. Both games are quite unique and deserve better recognition.

If you DID buy duke your also part of the problem.

seady said:
Way for system to be sccessul: make crappy games for it.

Wii hit a roadblock and stopped being successful until 2010 when it had tons of great games that year. Now 360 is selling hotcake when it stop having any single good exclusive coming for it.

MS established themselves as the platform on which to play multiplayer online games. It has always had a lower barrier of entry for consumers.

That went a long way.....

Shadows of the Damned looked like a bit of a mess to me to be honest, but then I don't care for Suda or... the other guy involved, whatever his name is. You know the one, made a few shoddy action games.

dvolovets said:
I think this takes the cake for the absolute worst exaggeration in this thread. Didn't the original DS put up similar numbers initially?
June 2005

Nintendo DS 112,000
Kirby: Canvas Curse 79,000 (best selling title)

matm666

Seda said:
whatwillsave3DS.png

Don't cross Residen Evil yet, the real one is still coming.

But I don't think the 3DS needs to be saved yet, people is just really inpacient for big sales.

I want a 3DS, but haven't buy it because I'm not waiting for one game, I'm waiting for all those in that board.

jvm

Gamasutra.
A Human Becoming said:
jvm, with the discrepancy between your projection and what Nintendo released, does that mean you need to recalculate sales from previous months?
No, I think I'm still pretty spot-on with the figures I've published.

If I take 34% of the LTD 3DS figure I have in my data, I come up with a figure within 3K of the 280K that has been published by NPD through Eurogamer. It is very common for NPD to round a publicly released sales figure to nearest even multiple of 10K or 5K, so I see everything as consistent.

Edit: Also, looking at 34% of my figure, I get almost precisely the 283K that Nintendo released. That's it. If you're going by the daily rate I published last month, take into account rounding, because you can't simply multiply out...

and holy fuck, DS is selling 400K?!!!!

Nintendo released 3DS so soon, they could have waited until at least late August, release it fully functional, maybe even with a better hardware (Battery), and only would have lost around 500K headstart. idiots. They wouldn't have taken the plug out of DS game development either.

jim-jam bongs said:
Shadows of the Damned looked like a bit of a mess to me to be honest, but then I don't care for Suda or... the other guy involved, whatever his name is. You know the one, made a few shoddy action games.

What the fuck man.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Awesome DS numbers.

BurntPork said:
The market is much bigger than it was 6 years ago. In reality, in comparison to how the market is now, the 3DS would have to be selling twice what it is now to be comparable to the DS in 2005. Add in the DS's much stronger launch window sales, and it's clear that it's a flop of epic proportions. Again looking at the market proportionally, it's Virtual Boy 2. It's at the point that I changed my mind about buying it since it'll probably be on clearance by this time next year. Nintendo has lost it.
Everything's going to be fine, dude.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Kusagari said:
Casual gamers have no need for handhelds at that price with the rise of the iPhone and Android phones. Even kids, Nintendo's main audience on handhelds, are all starting to have cell phones at a young age.

Note, that I'm not saying that handheld gaming systems are dead. I'm saying that the market of people who would think about buying them at a price of $200+ has grown incredibly niche. The mass market has no real reason to buy them at such an exorbitant price.
Which is why Sony isn't attempting to go for the casual gamer. They're going for the core. They've even said as much in a recent interview.

And that's why the Vita will perform nicely.

Mrbob

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
I think Nintendo's main problem is that they haven't come up with any new casual software since that Brain Age, Nintendogs, WiiSports, WiiFit run they had. Those games were some of the biggest system sellers ever. They followed them up with WiiMusic which failed...And they haven't done anything new and interesting in the casual space since. They rehashed WiiSports but it had the Motion+ so it did well though it didn't push hardware. Nintendogs+Cats bombed. WiiPlay 2 bombed. No new casual stuff at e3.

It was supposed to be the AR stuff, but this flopped miserably and Nintendo currently does not have a plan B.

Road

A Human Becoming said:
jvm, with the discrepancy between your projection and what Nintendo released, does that mean you need to recalculate sales from previous months? I ask because I used your numbers to keep track of hardware sales. Also, can you estimate PS3 sales now with both 360 and Wii sales up? Didn't NPD say somewhere that 360 made up 48% of console sales?

283,000 / 832,000 = 34%

280,000 / 0.34 = 824,000

Just rounding.

BurntPork said:
The types of people who would choose Angry Birds over games made by real studios would never be early adopters anyway. Apple's expanding the market, not taking away marketshare.

You mean the people who stand in lines to buy iphones and ipads? Sorry, the market is clearly contracting.

Is this a joke account?

BurntPork

Banned
matm666 said:
Don't cross Residen Evil yet, the real one is still coming.

But I don't think the 3DS needs to be saved yet, people is just really inpacient for big sales.

I want a 3DS, but haven't buy it because I'm not waiting for one game, I'm waiting for all those in that board.
If 3DS isn't "saved" by January, Revelations will almost certainly be either cancelled or moved to Vita anyway. Crossing off RE is fine.

DS releases poorly, doomed they said.

Nintendo release games. DS wins

3DS Releases slightly better than DS, doomed they say.

Nintendo is about to open the treasure trove in the space of 4 months.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Good post.

Top Bottom