• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD June 2011 Sales Results [Update5: Most HW in, Infamous 2]

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Snipes424 said:
What is it then? Is it the slim? what software would drive those numbers? It really defies all logic at this point.
Does the free 360 offer count towards these numbers? If so that might account for the huge numbers this month. Overall kinect, the slim hit at just the right time to boost sales.

watershed

Banned
Man my predictions were way off. Interesting to see the PS3 doing better. The 360 is just crazy. OoT3D looks to be on solid ground and the 3ds is eh. Sony should be feeling pretty confident with the Vita whether it comes out later this year or next.

Huff

Banned
outunderthestars said:
Why? The slashed the prices on old models, and it has an incredible software lineup.

Yeah, I'm much more likely to buy another DS (mines starting to shit out) before I buy a 3DS. Over a hundred dollar difference.

Also, I do wonder what the 360 sales would have been if the free ones with the labtops weren't counted (if they were counted lol). Could have been a very close race this month.

pharmboy044 said:
If Shadows of the Damned did that bad, I don't want to know what Catherine and El Shadai will do next month
I think Catherine will do well for Atlus, kind of like Disgaea 4. These games probably won't show up on the NDPs, but I think the developers/publishers will be satisfied with their projected sales.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
That's the hope. But I think the 3DS is in a different situation.

Sure, when Mario Kart comes out it'll be great, for example. But most parents will think they already bought Mario Kart for their kids with their old DS, so why would they purchase another DS model for $250 and a new game that plays exactly the same?

I think this is the mentality that casual consumers and/or parents will have. Gamers like us will eat it up, but I think it'll be a little harder for Nintendo to win over the casual market this time around.

Part of the DS' huge success was Brain Age and games like NintenDogs. But the new NintenDogs game for the 3DS didn't sell or move systems and there are so many 99 cents Brain Age type of APPs they can download from their smart phones, why would they want to pay $40 for a mini-game collection?

I think the 3DS is in a uphill battle.

That's just my opinion on it. Same with Wii U.

3DS #$^#$^#$%&H!$#% Wii U (they are totally different, don't make analogy)

the problem with 3DS, is that even if Nintendo manages to succeed at the push it intends after september, the installed based demographic will be much like DS, hence more inclined toward non-cores.

walking fiend said:
3DS #$^#$^#$%&H!$#% Wii U (they are totally different, don't make analogy)

the problem with 3DS, is that even if Nintendo manages to succeed at the push it intends after september, the installed based demographic will be much like DS, hence more inclined toward non-cores.

Er, eh?
Based on what?

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Until NoA starts marketing the ever living fuck out of the 3DS, the sales are going to be slow. I hope they do this by the holiday season, but they need to do it sooner to attract children who will ask their parents/Santa for one. Same for adults who might gift/get one from another person. They have the titles lined up for the holiday, but you can't play those games without the system. If they can get the idea into people's head that it the 3DS is the next big thing, then they will see great sales.

Busaiku

DefectiveReject said:
DS releases poorly, doomed they said.

Nintendo release games. DS wins

3DS Releases slightly better than DS, doomed they say.

Nintendo is about to open the treasure trove in the space of 4 months.
The difference with DS was that there was something from Nintendo that managed to make it sell to a whole new audience (Nintendogs).
That doesn't look to be the case with 3DS, and the audience that bought into that on DS seems uninterested with 3DS.

watershed

Banned
cnizzle06 said:
What in the world is giving the 360 this momentum?
Kinect and parent's buying for kids because they just got out of school and had good grades. That's my guess, plus some deals going around.

BurntPork said:
But they don't buy those just for gaming, so it's different. They're taking away some people, but for the most part people playing those games have never bought a gaming handheld. If you don't believe me, look at the figure posted a few posts back, showing that the 3DS sold more than the DS did is it's first June. The same goes for every month since launch, I believe. Also, look at the DS's enormous figure for last month. It's expansion.

"NPD figures out for June, down 12% for software"

That is contraction.

Huff

Banned
Dedication Through Light said:
Well thats tons more than inFAMOUS opened with, nice.

Giving away inFamous 1 to everyone probably had a big something to do with the increase in IN2 sales.

statham

Road said:
175 weeks, at this month's weekly rate.

35 months, at this month's rate.
a_chance_medium.jpeg

Scum

Road said:
175 weeks, at this month's weekly rate.

35 months, at this month's rate.
But wouldn't that require the Wii to sell 0 units every month though? If you see what I mean... :p

BurntPork

Banned
TheNatural said:
Here you go Burnt, invest in some of this:

Lithium.jpg
lol

But seriously, TheFLYINGManga_Ka is right. 3DS sales won't improve unless Nintendo either pulls a rabbit out of their hat or shuts down DS completely while cutting the 3DS's price in half. Wii U will need a $199-249 price to outsell Gamecube.

Slime

Banned
Sony am doomed (without price drop). Definitely don't think they're going to overtake the 360 any time soon, despite all the predictions of apologists.

360 is doing so well. Really kind of amazing.

Busaiku said:
The difference with DS was that there was something from Nintendo that managed to make it sell to a whole new audience (Nintendogs).
That doesn't look to be the case with 3DS, and the audience that bought into that on DS seems uninterested with 3DS.
We'll see.
Price is king these days.

DatBreh

Banned
The M.O.B said:
If you DID NOT buy SotD or Alice, you are indeed part of the problem. Both games are quite unique and deserve better recognition.

If you DID buy duke your also part of the problem.

Sorry but in the current climate you cant expect people to line up to fork over 60 bucks for those 2 games when there are tons of much better games around 35 bucks that people havent got to yet. Ill pick up Alice at 30 bucks.

Speevy

Banned
cnizzle06 said:
What in the world is giving the 360 this momentum?

Most people will say Kinect plus marketing, but I've always thought people are just now seeing that this HD system has the larger library compared to the other, and they've accepted that this is their PS2. Affordable with a huge number of cheap games.

BurntPork said:
lol

But seriously, TheFLYINGManga_Ka is right. 3DS sales won't improve unless Nintendo either pulls a rabbit out of their hat or shuts down DS completely while cutting the 3DS's price in half.

They really don't need to do either.
The 3DS isn't floundering, especially given that it hasn't had a single heavy hitter.
They may do a slight price cut late next year, but sales improve once software starts showing up.

DMeisterJ said:
Thank God you aren't running Sony then.
--
:eek:

Nice Infamous 2 numbers.

Sony could drop the price of the PS3 and Microsoft could keep the 360 price the same and I think the sales numbers would be closer than most would think.

DatBreh said:
Sorry but in the current climate you cant expect people to line up to fork over 60 bucks for those 2 games when there are tons of much better games around 35 bucks that people havent got to yet. Ill pick up Alice at 30 bucks.

Agreed. Alice has "$20 in four months" written all over it. I never even heard about the other game....

BurntPork

Banned
outunderthestars said:
"NPD figures out for June, down 12% for software"

That is contraction.
That includes consoles, and 75% of that is due to Wii. Also, that's compared to last year, not 2005.

AceBandage said:
Er, eh?
Based on what?
which part, not making analogy? Wii U will be in a much better position, simply because it will be supported by ports and that it is much different than Wii.

---
The push Nintendo is making is with Mario games, Animal Crossing, etc; They are mostly rated E to T (at most), and are all 1st Party, and we know the reaction from dudebro core gamers toward these games, they are not interested. Then, most of those who buy Nintendo games aren't that much interested in dudebro core gamers M rated games.

---
they should have started pushing with Zelda, Kid Icarus, Starfox for the first few months to attract more dedicated gamers; I believe that way games like RE, DoA, etc would have sold more as well, estabilishing its base even more.

BurntPork said:
lol

But seriously, TheFLYINGManga_Ka is right. 3DS sales won't improve unless Nintendo either pulls a rabbit out of their hat or shuts down DS completely while cutting the 3DS's price in half. Wii U will need a $199-249 price to outsell Gamecube.
Why will Wii U be fucked. It's a new console. Will have 100's of games ported over in it's first year for newcomers to HD.
Has a new niche. And will launch big. They won't go for a 3 DS level start. They can't afford that with a home console. Investment is too large.

And how the fuck do you guys keep dragging Wii U into this..

duk

Banned
i think ps2/wii owners are stepping up to 360, this has to be one of the biggest reasons

with a price drop, fm4, halo hd, gears 3 this fall, COD = watch out

artwalknoon said:
Kinect and parent's buying for kids because they just got out of school and had good grades. That's my guess, plus some deals going around.

Sigh.. As I have said over and over, it's the free windows laptop promotion:

"michaelpachter
Good point by @NicolasVerge, the 507k Xbox figure included all of the "free" 360s given away under the Windows 7 PC promotion"

DMeisterJ

Banned
ThisWreckage said:
Sony could drop the price of the PS3 and Microsoft could keep the 360 price the same and I think the sales numbers would be closer than most would think.

More than likely, they'd both price cut, and Sony would be back firmly in second place every month again, only with 20 or 30 million dollars of lost revenue per month.

BurntPork said:
That includes consoles, and 75% of that is due to Wii. Also, that's compared to last year, not 2005.
Yes. All Wiis fault. WII increased the Market. So it receding very obviously brings the Market back to where it was.
Retards.

walking fiend said:
which part, not making analogy? Wii U will be in a much better position, simply because it will be supported by ports and that it is much different than Wii.

---
The push Nintendo is making is with Mario games, Animal Crossing, etc; They are mostly rated E to T (at most), and are all 1st Party, and we know the reaction from dudebro core gamers toward these games, they are not interested. Then, most of those who buy Nintendo games aren't that much interested in dudebro core gamers M rated games.

I was more talking about the 3DS->DS comparison, yes.
Which doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The "dudebro" audience wouldn't go for the 3DS (or the Vita for that matter) regardless. They like their big comfy couch gaming where they can play instantly with friends.
However, it certainly isn't going to be the exact same audience as the DS was, simply because they don't have the Brain Age type game that will bring in the expanded audience. I doubt any dedicated gaming system will ever be able to do that again.

statham

outunderthestars said:
Poorly. This board goes nuts for these kinds of games, but for the most part they never do all that well in the U.S. market...

The 360 is already $199 and has been for some time.....
thanks for that info, wasn't aware. i also heard we landed on the moon.

Wow Infamous 2 put up some good numbers. Heres to hoping for a sequel.

outunderthestars said:
"michaelpachter
Good point by @NicolasVerge, the 507k Xbox figure included all of the "free" 360s given away under the Windows 7 PC promotion"

Free = Sale? Well played.

BurntPork

Banned
AceBandage said:
They really don't need to do either.
The 3DS isn't floundering, especially given that it hasn't had a single heavy hitter.
They may do a slight price cut late next year, but sales improve once software starts showing up.
And if they don't? They're not even trying to get the casual audience, which was the deciding factor for the DS. The 3DS has a major competitor, and it's not iOS; it's the DS. iOS is just making it worse.

By the way, the DS got it's first price cut 15 months after launch. A year from now is the absolute latest that they'll cut the price.

PSGames

A Human Becoming said:
It most assuredly is. It's boosted since the Kinect was released.
It actually started at the launch of the Slim. Kinect continued the momentum and it hasnt slowed down since.

LuchaShaq

Banned
corkscrewblow said:
Nintendo fans like Pokemon
Pokemon is a JRPG
Xenoblade is a JRPG
Nintendo fans would like Xenoblade??

Are you the mind behind homefront?

Call of Duty is an FPS and sells tens of millions of copies.
Homefront will also be a modern FPS.
We should be able to make billions to!

cnizzle06

Banned
FantasticMrFoxdie said:
Wow Infamous 2 put up some good numbers. Heres to hoping for a sequel.

It was a good game with a lot of room for improvement so let's hope so. In some ways, it felt like it was pushed out the door before it was fully ready.

BurntPork said:

That still means that it is contracting. The Boom of the Wii/DS doesn't show any signs of repeating itself. The overall market for console/dedicate handheld gaming is shrinking.

larvi

soundscream said:
Having worked in retail for over a decade that sounds off.
Promotions are usually automatically done at the POS so you would scan the computer and 360 and the 360 would be deducted.
The only time I have ever taken money off the non bundled product is when there was an issue and the discount wasn't applied.

That's how it worked at Bestbuy.com, I'm not sure how Dell and HP handled it. I'm not sure sure what they would have done if you tried to return the 360.

duk

Banned
outunderthestars said:
Sigh.. As I have said over and over, it's the free windows laptop promotion:

"michaelpachter

cool, how many of that was given out free is the real question

Mileena

Banned
LuchaShaq said:
Are you the mind behind homefront?

Call of Duty is an FPS and sells tens of millions of copies.
Homefront will also be a modern FPS.
We should be able to make billions to!
I didn't say it would sell like Pokemon, just that Nintendo fans would like it. Also, Homefront is a turd, while Xenoblade has been hailed as the best JRPG of the generation.

ThisWreckage said:

I think the 360 will still outsell the PS3 in the US if Sony drops the price by U$100 and MS keeps the 360 price the same.

Top Bottom