• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD June 2011 Sales Results [Update5: Most HW in, Infamous 2]

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
So, do you guys think Sony will ever make the BC PS3 model again? Why aren't they taking advantage of it? I know it must have cost them a lot in 2007 to produce that model, but surely that shouldn't apply now, right? I know about the HD collections and all, but I seriously think they should bring the BC model back. And it doesn't look like the PS2 will be discontinued any time soon, since it is still selling like a beast.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
NateDrake said:
As has been stated count less times the 360s MS gave during their Windows 7 promo counted towards the NPD figure.
Plus it's a 5 weeks month.
Every figure is "inflated" because of that, obviously.

Meisadragon said:
So, do you guys think Sony will ever make the BC PS3 model again? Why aren't they taking advantage of it? I know it must have cost them a lot in 2007 to produce that model, but surely that shouldn't apply now, right? I know about the HD collections and all, but I seriously think they should bring the BC model back. And it doesn't look like the PS2 will be discontinued any time soon, since it is still selling like a beast.

No. Because not enough people care. Outside of a few of the hardcore (who already own a ps3) nobody really wants to keep playing PS2 games. They are not going to fabricate and produce a whole new motherboard and chipset just to bring back a feature that only a handful of people care about. Sony is all about reducing costs and driving down the price at this point.

wazoo

The difference between DS and GBA is expectation. In 2005, the DS was basically dead in everybody mind, E3 2005 was a nightmare from a gamer perspective (Nintendogs and ElektroPlankton), Nintendo was still talking about GBM to keep the GBA alive, the PSP was supposed to clear everything. Now, the 3DS is supposed to be the second coming and fails at that, but no more than the DS before, and in much more crowded area.

wazoo said:
The difference between DS and GBA is expectation. In 2005, the DS was basically dead in everybody mind, E3 2005 was a nightmare from a gamer perspective (Nintendogs and ElektroPlankton), Nintendo was still talking about GBM to keep the GBA alive, the PSP was supposed to clear everything. Now, the 3DS is supposed to be the second coming and fails at that, but no more than the DS before, and in much more crowded area.

The difference is the 3ds is the next version of an incredibly popular product. Imagine if the ipad 2 or iphone 4 didn't meet sales expectations out of the gate. That would be cause for some level of alarm.

So what's the consensus on Child of Eden? A lot of people were saying it is the reason to own a Kinect but 35k seems like a flop to me.

wazoo said:

The 3DS was supposed to sell on the brand, while the DS had the disadvantage of not being a Game Boy. Nintendo went into the 3DS with high expectations, yet low output.

perhaps those 360 figures do include the dell laptop-plus-free-360 giveaways as well?

might explain why theres a large jump in 360 vs the other consoles during a month when there wasnt any big 360 exclusives debuting nor were there any kinect games in the top10 to indicate it was kinect's help

VALIS

Just getting in and reading this now. Wow. 360 is a monster. While everyone expected it to still beat the Wii and PS3 this month, no one was thinking it would beat them by almost 2x.

I don't know if it's Kinect at this point or what. I don't think any console has ever sold this well almost 6 years in.

Kenshin001 said:
So what's the consensus on Child of Eden? A lot of people were saying it is the reason to own a Kinect but 35k seems like a flop to me.

since when have sales been a direct reflection on a game's quality? Hell Duke Nukem should be proof that there is no relation.

Kenshin001 said:
No one was under any impression it wouldn't be. Still the best Kinect game, especially for the hardcore.

outunderthestars said:
Imagine if the i[pad 2 or iphone 4 didn't meet sales expectations out of the gate. That would be cause for some level of alarm.

it wouldnt surprise me if that were the case for subsequent iphones/ipads

buyer fatigue and yearly hardware rehashes makes each iteration quite pointless and even unnecessary

Mael

frAntic_Frog said:
perhaps those 360 figures do include the dell laptop-plus-free-360 giveaways as well?

might explain why theres a large jump in 360 vs the other consoles during a month when there wasnt any big 360 exclusives debuting nor were there any kinect games in the top10 to indicate it was kinect's help

... That's a bit...underhanded.
But fair I guess, if they give it away I'm not sure they count as sold.
Did they also count the 360 given away last e3 (or is that the one before?) as sold too?

outunderthestars said:
since when have sales been a direct reflection on a game's quality? Hell Duke Nukem should be proof that there is no relation.

Total sales are usually a good indicator of the market reaction (since customers define quality).
Still initial sales are a better indicator of market expectations or hype.
If it keep performing like it did this month, it's a clear sign that it's a quality product.
Seriously 14 years of hype would propell any game to these heights.

Saty

So much blood. Most of June releases bombed. That Alice number is still weak and it only stands out 'positively' because how much harder the others games tanked. I don't see any of these game having a better second month.

More bombs that haven't been discussed:
-F.E.3.R
-Dirt 3
-Hunted: The Demon's Forge.

Bethesda's efforts in publishing non-internally-developed games aren't going well at all.

Mael said:
Did they also count the 360 given away last e3 (or is that the one before?) as sold too?

No. The ones in this promotion went through retail, so they end up getting counted. The ones that are shipped as replacements or promotional giveaways are not.

Mael

Also Wplay Motion had a lower start than WSR related to its predecessor...If this one bombs its a clear sign that Nintendo successfully killed the Wii and there should be no question that the Wii customer will not upgrade on the Wii U too

outunderthestars said:
No. The ones in this promotion went through retail, so they end up getting counted. The ones that are shipped as replacements or promotional giveaways are not.

They're also pure loss :/

frAntic_Frog said:
it wouldnt surprise me if that were the case for subsequent iphones/ipads

buyer fatigue and yearly hardware rehashes makes each iteration quite pointless and even unnecessary
Normally I'd agree (and obviously nothing lasts forever) but we're reaching the 5th IPhone and 3rd iPad with no signs of slowing.

VALIS said:
Just getting in and reading this now. Wow. 360 is a monster. While everyone expected it to still beat the Wii and PS3 this month, no one was thinking it would beat them by almost 2x.

I don't know if it's Kinect at this point or what. I don't think any console has ever sold this well almost 6 years in.

Gbp.jpg

?

I don't know what the sales were, but I'm pretty sure the GB/GBC crushed the normal console cycle.

Mael said:
Also Wplay Motion had a lower start than WSR related to its predecessor...If this one bombs its a clear sign that Nintendo successfully killed the Wii and there should be no question that the Wii customer will not upgrade on the Wii U too

Absolutely. Wii Sports Resort was already too little, too late. If Nintendo had capitalized on the game and supported motion plus, they might have averted the current situation. But at this point, they've burned too many Wii customers. Why would the Wii audience want the Wii U?

wazoo

kame-sennin said:
?

I don't know what the sales were, but I'm pretty sure the GB/GBC crushed the normal console cycle.

GB was mostly dead in between the 10+ years of its lifespan, it was revived by Pokemon in the second part, but it was almost dead before that. GBC also counts as some kind of new console; kind of.

wazoo

outunderthestars said:
The difference is the 3ds is the next version of an incredibly popular product. Imagine if the ipad 2 or iphone 4 didn't meet sales expectations out of the gate. That would be cause for some level of alarm.

The difference is also that the 3DS do not build on the DS strengths. we have yet to see a new original IP for the casuals on 3DS. Next Fall is full of "hardcore" games. This is is not what sold the DS, far from it.

Iphone and Ipad are not a good comparison. For the general Apple public, there is not much difference between the Iphone line or the ipad line. It is just the same product upgraded and still selling.

gerg

kame-sennin said:
Absolutely. Wii Sports Resort was already too little, too late.

Wii Sports Resort is the second best-selling game on the Wii.

If Nintendo had capitalized on the game and supported motion plus, they might have averted the current situation. But at this point, they've burned too many Wii customers. Why would the Wii audience want the Wii U?

Because it will most likely be a comparatively cheap upgrade from the Wii (if Nintendo offers two SKUs), and Nintendo will still probably be the best at offering content for the expanded audience. Microsoft can only ride the success of Kinect in two genres for so long, after all.

Mael

wazoo said:
GB was mostly dead in between the 10+ years of its lifespan, it was revived by Pokemon in the second part, but it was almost dead before that. GBC also counts as some kind of new console; kind of.
You're either saying that GB was wildly more successful than the NES ever was and was dead thereafter (revived shortly by Pkmn) or there's a problem with what you're saying.
There was continued support for GB until the psx/Saturn/n64 showed up, then Pkmn came and then GBC came out.
GB was only dead between the end of the SNES and PKMN, which is a year or 2 at most.

gerg said:

I didn't know it sold more than Wiiplay....

gerg said:
Because it will most likely be a comparatively cheap upgrade from the Wii (if Nintendo offers two SKUs), and Nintendo will still probably be the best at offering content for the expanded audience. Microsoft can only ride the success of Kinect in two genres for so long, after all.

Even then if Nintendo can't sell them software now they won't be able to sell them an upgrade with softwares they don't want.

kame-sennin said:
Gbp.jpg

?

Absolutely. Wii Sports Resort was already too little, too late. If Nintendo had capitalized on the game and supported motion plus, they might have averted the current situation. But at this point, they've burned too many Wii customers. Why would the Wii audience want the Wii U?

I don't think there was a normal console cycle at that point...

wazoo

WSR sold great, but after that the handling of M+ by Nintendo has been abyssimal. Freedom is good for artists, but a bit of political vision would have been good to enter full production of several big M+ games (casual or hardcore). Wii play 2 should have been here way before, and they should have avoid to have only FlingSmash at Christmas last year. Even Zelda SS was at some point not using the M+ anymore because the devs did not feel the need...

I would say M+ is the Move of Nintendo. They did produce it because people were complaining about some missing features of their controller, but after that, they did not really care. Even at the presentation of M+ Miyamoto told that M+ was delivered because some 3rd parties were struggling to get the max of the libraries of the wiimote, like he would not admit that its baby has weakness.

Saty said:
So much blood. Most of June releases bombed. That Alice number is still weak and it only stands out 'positively' because how much harder the others games tanked. I don't see any of these game having a better second month.

More bombs that haven't been discussed:
-F.E.3.R
-Dirt 3
-Hunted: The Demon's Forge.

Bethesda's efforts in publishing non-internally-developed games aren't going well at all.

Dirt 3 came out in May.

wazoo said:
Nintendo's press conference was weird that year for sure but I remember the talk after that year was about just the sheer depth of software being shown for the DS being really amazing. Moreover despite them showing the Micro they only had I believe one game announcement for GBA that year which was a port of DKC3 which they weren't even directly involved in so.... GBA software wise was as dead to Nintendo in 2005 as DS is now.

Elektroplankton was always such a weird thing, they didn't even give it a proper release in the west yet it was a centerpiece of their press conference? I miss the Nintendo that would bring everything over.

gerg said:

I'm talking about hardware sales momentum.

Because it will most likely be a comparatively cheap upgrade from the Wii (if Nintendo offers two SKUs),

Why would the Wii Sports audience want to "upgrade" their console? These people jumped on the technologically weakest system because it had games they wanted. They're not going to be happy about buying a new system to buy the games they want if the only advantage is HD. I thought this was understood back in 2007.

and Nintendo will still probably be the best at offering content for the expanded audience.

That remains to be seen. We can't comment on their Wii U line-up since almost nothing has been announced, but as I said in my last post, they abandoned the Wii Sports gamer halfway through this gen and they've done a terrible job of convincing those people to buy a 3DS. Obviously Nintendo has the capability to make these games, but there's clearly a problem at NCL, since these games aren't being made.

outunderthestars said:
I don't think there was a normal console cycle at that point...

My point is that the "normal console cycle" is over-emphasized, especially by companies with flagging hardware sales. The Gameboy (and to a lesser extent, the NES, PS1, PS2, PSP in Japan, and DS) show that a console can be turned around at virtually any time by the right software, or combination of software, extending its life cycle.

AniHawk

airmangataosenai said:
Nintendo's press conference was weird that year for sure but I remember the talk after that year was about just the sheer depth of software being shown for the DS being really amazing. Moreover despite them showing the Micro they only had I believe one game announcement for GBA that year which was a port of DKC3 which they weren't even directly involved in so.... GBA software wise was as dead to Nintendo in 2005 as DS is now.

...well i mean the gba still had drill dozer, rhythm tengoku, mother 3, and all the bit generation games in addition to the oddball third party stuff like dk: king of swing, dkc3, mario party advance, and pokemon mystery dungeon.

not sure what compares on the ds now, outside of kirby. they seem much more done with that platform at the moment.

gerg

kame-sennin said:
I'm talking about hardware sales momentum.

Well, then, I don't think that Motion+ really ever represented much potential for hardware sales momentum. As you yourself wrote, the gamer that bought the Wii for Wii Sports was happy with Wii Sports back in 2006.

Why would the Wii Sports audience want to "upgrade" their console? These people jumped on the technologically weakest system because it had games they wanted. They're not going to be happy about buying a new system to buy the games they want if the only advantage is HD. I thought this was understood back in 2007.

I meant "upgrade" as in "buy a new console for new gameplay experiences". It was unclear, I admit.

That remains to be seen. We can't comment on their Wii U line-up since almost nothing has been announced, but as I said in my last post, they abandoned the Wii Sports gamer halfway through this gen and they've done a terrible job of convincing those people to buy a 3DS. Obviously Nintendo has the capability to make these games, but there's clearly a problem at NCL, since these games aren't being made.

I think we'll probably see a bigger push for the 3DS once the DS stops selling so well.

Jomjom

Banned
Mael said:

Total sales are usually a good indicator of the market reaction (since customers define quality).
Still initial sales are a better indicator of market expectations or hype.
If it keep performing like it did this month, it's a clear sign that it's a quality product.
Seriously 14 years of hype would propell any game to these heights.
I wouldnt say underhanded, I would say incredibly savvy. You do whatever you can that wont hit the bottom line too much to get your box into homes. Sony should be giving ps3s with every hdtv over 700 or every ipad or something like that.

Mael

kame-sennin said:

You know there's a problem when the only franchise that follows the successful template of nsmbw is fucking Kirby.
Seriously they don't even acknowledge sidescroller Mario anymore and as it is the only thing we get is a tech demo they keep telling us is only a demo and then they shun the DS audience by totally not making the game they want.
As it is it wouldn't surprise me that their best product line is Kirby right now.

AniHawk said:
...well i mean the gba still had drill dozer, rhythm tengoku, mother 3, and all the bit generation games in addition to the oddball third party stuff like dk: king of swing, dkc3, mario party advance, and pokemon mystery dungeon.

not sure what compares on the ds now, outside of kirby. they seem much more done with that platform at the moment.
I was referring to the press conference only. Yeah I forgot a few of those but I intentionally didn't mention the original Rhythm Tengoku and Mother 3. They do still release DS games in Japan even after the 3DS launch by the way, the most notable being that Pokemon Typing game that apparently did well.

There's also this next month.

gerg

Mael said:
You know there's a problem when the only franchise that follows the successful template of nsmbw is fucking Kirby.

Retro did make a game called "Donkey Kong Returns", which sold very, very well. Kirby's Epic Yarn was also released last year.

Arguably, the Super Mario game for the 3DS is following NSMB's lead, and there's a new NSMB in development for the Wii U.

Mael

gerg said:
Retro did make a game called "Donkey Kong Returns", which sold very, very well. Kirby's Epic Yarn was also released last year.

Arguably, the Super Mario game for the 3DS is following NSMB's lead, and there's a new NSMB in development for the Wii U.

I meant to talk about upcoming games.
The Super Mario game is following the NSMB's lead in the same way that Galaxy is following sidescroller Mario. It didn't work then, that won't change.
If 2D Mario people couldn't be swayed by Galaxy 2, they won't move for Super Mario 3DS.
And what was shown of the new NSMB on Wii U is so incredibly lame I don't think even they know whatever the hell they're doing with it.
Seriously if you look at what Nintendo has in store, well there's Kirby and that's it.

Jomjom

Banned
Alx said:
That's not the joke though... there should be only one "wait for..." at a time, and when it fails it gets crossed and replaced by a new one, hence the different colours and handwritings. It was meant to make fun of people believing that a single game or feature would change everything.
yeah, explaining jokes is lame, I know...
Whatever the jokes supposed to be Mario Kart will definitely not be crossed off. The 3ds sales are going to go through the roof when that releases. For me though the game thats gonna convince me to jump in is that ff theatrythym game.

wazoo

airmangataosenai said:
I was referring to the press conference only. Yeah I forgot a few of those but I intentionally didn't mention the original Rhythm Tengoku and Mother 3. They do still release DS games in Japan even after the 3DS launch by the way, the most notable being that Pokemon Typing game that apparently did well.

Those late GBA games are easy to forget for us european gamers. We did never see them.

Looking at some review site, it seems that the notable games released after the DS were FFVI, FFVI, Pokemon Dungeon, FFIV, Tales of Phantasia, Mario Tennis, DKC3, Fire Emblem (in reverse order), so RPG and ports.

Mael

jling84 said:
Whatever the jokes supposed to be Mario Kart will definitely not be crossed off. The 3ds sales are going to go through the roof when that releases. For me though the game thats gonna convince me to jump in is that ff theatrythym game.

If Mario Kart couldn't save the GC it won't save the 3DS.

kame-sennin said:
Because they gave up on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eLQI8QkI6g

The first two years of the Wii were all about motion control and accessible gaming, and sales were through the roof. Then, as Nintendo stopped delivering these kinds of games, sales started to drop.
considering how good Zumba, Just Dance, etc, are selling on Wii I can agree.

Nintendo should have expanded after they started swimming in money, they couldn't afford two support 200 million installed based of DS and Wii with only 4000 employee.

and now 3DS and Wii U are added to the bunch, so ...
The difference is also that the 3DS do not build on the DS strengths. we have yet to see a new original IP for the casuals on 3DS. Next Fall is full of "hardcore" games. This is is not what sold the DS, far from it.

Mario games and Animal Crossing are 'hardcore' games?! Mario has NEVER been hardcore, even their strange titles such as Mario vs Donkeykong puzzle game on DS are million sellers.

The problem is that 3DS is not inherently a different type of product that DS, it is merely an iteration of 3DS and doesn't offer new type of gameplay as DS did, and not even that, it now has to compete with loads of iphones and androids and ipads.

because of this, making new IPs that are different in nature, rather that only content, from DS is not easy.

The other problem is that at this point and with this price, 3DS is not a viable solution to attract masses based on nintendo dogs style of games.

If Mario Kart couldn't save the GC it won't save the 3DS.
So if CoD becomes exclusives to Wii U, it wouldn't help it sell? since you know, back then it didn't sell much.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
funny stupid how sony wont make a BC ps3. my 600 dollar ps3 has been dead for days but I may buy a ps3 slim that was $200 instead of paying 100 bucks to get it fixed.

wazoo

walking fiend said:
Mario games and Animal Crossing are 'hardcore' games?!

you missed the "new" in my post. Nintendogs is casual, Nintendogs is casual, Nintendogs is not new and can be played for much cheaper on the DS. Same for the coming Animal Crossing or even the rumored Brain Training.

I do not think Nintendo has a clue about doing something new with 3D (not even talking that 3D is not a love affair with japanese crowd, as I understood).

gerg

Mael said:
I meant to talk about upcoming games.

Then the answer to "Why hasn't Nintendo followed up the success of NSMB Wii?" is "They already have."

The Super Mario game is following the NSMB's lead in the same way that Galaxy is following sidescroller Mario. It didn't work then, that won't change.
If 2D Mario people couldn't be swayed by Galaxy 2, they won't move for Super Mario 3DS.

I think you may be under-appreciating the effect of the changed, fixed perspective, as well as of the 3D effect itself in helping the user judge distances. Of course, we'll have to see how the game performs at release.

And what was shown of the new NSMB on Wii U is so incredibly lame I don't think even they know whatever the hell they're doing with it.

I don't think it's fair to judge an entire game's design by a single tech demo.

Seriously if you look at what Nintendo has in store, well there's Kirby and that's it.

You've got to remember that the Wii is dying whether Nintendo likes it or not. If they truly had an interesting idea with a lot of sales potential, why waste it on the Wii when they can release it for the Wii U to build momentum for that console? Consider Wii Relax: even if Nintendo is able to refine it to the degree that they'd prefer, there's no way that that piece of software is ever seeing release on the Wii. There's simply no point to it.

I've only recently just played with the 3DS, and after an hour or so it felt like I'd been playing the same handheld for the last five years. Absolutely nothing remarkable about the experience whatsoever.

Anyway. Great Xbox 360 numbers, and it's notable that the Sony PR focusses entirely on software (no surprise). PS Vita will be interesting.

wazoo said:
you missed the "new" in my post. Nintendogs is casual, Nintendogs is casual, Nintendogs is not new and can be played for much cheaper on the DS. Same for the coming Animal Crossing or even the rumored Brain Training.

I do not think Nintendo has a clue about doing something new with 3D (not even talking that 3D is not a love affair with japanese crowd, as I understood).

I was referring to your hardcore push in fall, it is not hardcore push.

there isn't much 'new' gameplay mechanism that can be build upon being 3D, 3D is meant to enhance the user visual experience. The best analogy is comparing 2D vs 3D to color vs B&W.

Top Bottom