• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD June 2011 Sales Results [Update5: Most HW in, Infamous 2]

tzare

szaromir said:
360 is selling mostly to people who have neither a PS3 nor a gaming PC. They choose 360 to be their primary gaming system and as a standalone platform it has a very strong line-up. People here act like 360 purchasers literally have nothing to play on it.

well, to be fair there's people here that do the same regarding PS3. It has no games and such.

I think that both ps3 and 360 can be used as your only single platform this generation. Of course you lose some exclusive games if you miss one of them but that has happened forever. Even missing Wii means you lose some nice exclusive games.

regarding the main topic, grats to MS, they have managed to merge harcore and casual at last, so they are, in the US and probably UK too, the ps2 of this generation. Good performance for PS3 too, despite price, psn outage, and all the problems is alive and doing good in the US. Great to see inFamous2 doing well. Sony exclusives do not have the punch that Halo or Gears have in the states but they are building a varied ecosystem of interesting, varied and profitable quality IPs.

How many did psp sell? As for nintendo, they reached the sky, but they are falling now, i wonder if they will be able to hold strong in the long run, as 3DS doesn't seem to be the success many expected to be. At least for the time being.

gkryhewy

Jocchan said:
Well, that's very disappointing.
I'm sure the final game will include many, many challenging levels, even if you can beat the game by only playing easier levels (a la Galaxy 2). I mean, it's a Mario game.

The DS sales are pretty huge: nintendo is really failing at differentiating the 3DS from the DS, but perhaps word of mouth will catch up to that in time for the big releases this fall. I would also not be surprised at a price drop to $199 before they hit.

BowieZ said:
Didn't they try and stockpile and ship 4M, not sell-through?

I guess so.. but shouldn't we hearing about their quarterly results soon? Will be interesting if they haven't managed in selling any stock at all in that quarter!

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I honestly don't see any game shifting the 3ds into greatness until they fix the system, I've owned every Nintendo handheld on or near release but I'll never touch a 3DS until a revision of the system is released that addresses the design flaws and extends battery life which atm most be the worst battery life compared to any other comparable device on the market, and also they need to lower the price pronto.

I'm honestly angry at Nintendo, mainly becuase in the past I've loved their products but the Wii using old tech and being sub HD at a time HD TV's were taking off and now the 3DS not living up to expectations I've practically given up on them.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
gkryhewy said:
I'm sure the final game will include many, many challenging levels, even if you can beat the game by only playing easier levels (a la Galaxy 2). I mean, it's a Mario game.

Galaxy 2 was significantly easier to 120 than Galaxy, though.

lowrider007 said:
I honestly don't see any game shifting the 3ds into greatness until they fix the system, I've owned every Nintendo handheld on or near release but I'll never touch a 3DS until a revision of the system is released that addresses the design flaws and extends battery life which atm most be the worst battery life compared to any other comparable device on the market, and also they need to lower the price pronto.

I'm honestly angry at Nintendo, mainly becuase in the past I've loved their products but the Wii using old tech and being sub HD at a time HD TV's were taking off and now the 3DS not living up to expectations I've practically given up on them.

in 3D mode it has a screen equivalent to 5.8 inch (5.8^2=3.5^2*2+3^2), which is 80% bigger than 4.3 inch of PSP. (it is more powerful, has streetpass and spotpass enabled as well), yet psp battery doesn't last even 50% more.

anyhow, get Nyko battery pack at 20$ if battery is your issue.

it is a shame because of hyperbole some people don't buy system/games otherwise they would have.

Sadist

Can a system already live up to expectations four months in? I bought my 3DS as an investment for the future, not for instant gratification. Yes, there will be some games at the beginning of the lifecycle which will be very compelling, but I know full well the majority will take a while.

[Nintex]

gkryhewy said:
I'm not sure... the engine, camera work, speed, jump distance etc. is all designed and tweaked for smaller confined spaces.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
gkryhewy said:
Oh, I'm sure it will. What worried me was the part about the long jumps allowing to skip parts of the levels and the low budget feel Nintex lamented, but whatever.
The editor saying that he was moving too slow and admitting he never used the run button made me chuckle, though.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
walking fiend said:
in 3D mode it has a screen equivalent to 5.8 inch (5.8^2=3.5^2*2+3^2), which is 80% bigger than 4.3 inch of PSP. (it is more powerful, has streetpass and spotpass enabled as well), yet psp battery doesn't last even 50% more.

"<A> is a problem"

"Yes, but there's a reason why it's a problem!"

"Okay, but it's still a problem"

[Nintex] said:
I'm not sure... the engine, camera work, speed, jump distance etc. is all designed and tweaked for smaller confined spaces.
hence a better design.

NSMB and Mario Kart on DS were horrible compared to those on wii, because they weren't made specifically for the confined space on the handheld, they were forced to fit in the screen.

And at anyrate, never gaming on a 3.5 inch handheld will be as compelling as playing on a large TV.

"<A> is a problem"

"Yes, but there's a reason why it's a problem!"

"Okay, but it's still a problem"
I did not say it is not a problem, I pointed out not buying it because 'similar devices' perform 'better', is not a valid reason. And it has the battery pack option and fixable.

JoeTheBlow said:
Finally some sense. I enjoyed it more than BLOPS.
Awful lot of whiny little bitches in here crying about Duke, as if everyone bought it instead of SotD.
No, we all just know that Shadows will be $20/£20 next week, and you'd have to be fucking mental to buy it full price.
I eagerly await the next "why is Xcom a fps" thread, so I can use this quote to justify 2K GAMES' position. If you keep buying mediocre fps in place of anything original, mediocre fps is what you'll continue to get. If you don't care, by all means keep cheering on Duke.

SmokyDave

walking fiend said:
I did not say it is not a problem, I pointed out the not buying it because 'similar devices' perform 'better', is not a valid reason.
But if the devices are similar and they do perform better, it's a perfectly valid reason.

But if the devices are similar and they do perform better, it's a perfectly valid reason.
you read my post? PSP is performing worse.

psp average battery life * screen size in square inch = 106.
3ds ...*... = 134

hence, PSP is at least performing 26% worse (it is less powerful, and doesn't have streetpass and spotpass either).

---
I believe smartphones in general are much worse, aren't they?

Alx

subversus said:
I wanted to buy Xbox 3 times but I always seat and think about money spent/value and I can't justify buying the system for 3 games (Bayonetta, Gears, Trials). As there are currently no games which could explain such sales spike I wonder why people buy it so willingly. Because I fail to understand what makes Xbox better than PS3 other than games. I'm not trolling, I just can't understand consumer's logic. Is it marketed heavily in US? Is it cheaper?

That's the major point in my opinion (with other details, like larger user base means bigger chance of having friends already owning one).
The reasons to buy a 360 are almost exactly the same as buying a PS3. The genres are the same, and the most popular games are multiplatform anyway (aka Call of Duty, basically). So it shouldn't be a surprise that the console that was first on the market and much cheaper than its competitor gets the edge.

Actually I'm in the same situation as yours, but with the other brand. I've been owning a 360 for years, wanting to buy a PS3 for a long time (last generation I had owned and enjoyed all consoles), but there's no big reason to buy one when you already own a 360. Not 300€ big, anyway.

walking fiend said:

3ds ...*... = 134

hence, PSP is at least performing 30% worse (it is less powerful, and doesn't have streetpass and spotpass either).
*circa 2006*

"PS3 is too expensive at $599."
"But it has a Blu Ray player. Since Blu Ray players are $399 or more, the 360 and Wii are actually more expensive."

...that's what you just did.

lowrider007

walking fiend said:

3ds ...*... = 134

hence, PSP is at least performing 30% worse (it is less powerful, and doesn't have streetpass and spotpass either).

---

The screen size on the 3DS is 3.53inches, fact, I and the rest of the world don't care about what 3d equivalent the size of the screen may be.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
*circa 2006*

"But it has a Blu Ray player. Since Blu Ray players are $399 or more, the 360 and Wii are actually more expensive."

it is not about value, it is about technology. You can't have something against technology not being advanced enough for consumer use or blame Nintendo for not making something acceptable with current technology while indeed they have; however, you may think it is useless now and blame nintendo for making a useless device at the moment.

As the mod with dog avatar said, if it is a problem for you, it is a problem for you whatever the reason (unless you by the optional pack)

The screen size is 3.53inches, fact, I and the rest of the world don't care about what 3d equivalent the size of the screen may be.

you made a false claim about it being worse than similar devices from a technical point. it is a false claim regardless of the value it represents.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Speedymanic said:
Pretty sure the source is Pachter.

“Good point by @NicolasVerge, the 507k Xbox figure included all of the ‘free’ 360s given away under the Windows 7 PC promotion”

http://gamingeverything.com/?p=6456

There had to be something for this incredible bump. Not saying 360 doesn't deserve it, but come on, nothing major released. This was almost like a Halo release level event but without the Halo.

SmokyDave

walking fiend said:
you read my post?
I read your post, I just don't really get what you're getting at. The battery life sucks.

Also, it's a 3.5" screen. It really doesn't matter what the 3D is doing, to the person looking at the device, it's a 3.5" screen. Not a terribly good one either.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
*circa 2006*

Yeah, this.

GraveRobberX said:
There had to be something for this incredible bump. Not saying 360 doesn't deserve it, but come on, nothing major released. This was almost like a Halo release level event but without the Halo.
there is:

amazon bestsellers for 1st week

xbox at #18

amazon bestsellers for june 2nd week
xbox at #25

amazon bestsellers for 3rd week

xbox at #1

amazon bestsellers for 4th week
xbox at #7

June overall
xbox at #1

in just a few days of sale (I believe there was a 100$ gift card), 360 managed to become the best selling product on amazon in June despite performing averagely for the rest of the month. (it is #17 for the july currently)

---
I read your post, I just don't really get what you're getting at. The battery life sucks.

Also, it's a 3.5" screen. It really doesn't matter what the 3D is doing, to the person looking at the device, it's a 3.5" screen. Not a terribly good one either.
you are correct, most people can't discern the fact that they are looking at a 3D screen, and that there's a hidden 3inch screen on the on the other half of the device.
Anyhow, you are at best mixing value perception with technological capability of the 3DS, the latter not being a fault of Nintendo, which in fact they get better than rivals. And if you have a problem with the former, buy 20$ batterypack.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
walking fiend said:

3ds ...*... = 134

hence, PSP is at least performing 26% worse (it is less powerful, and doesn't have streetpass and spotpass either).

Again, you keep missing what the problem actually is. The problem isn't that the 3DS' battery life is too low given the size of the screen and the 3D effect, it's that the 3DS' battery life is too low. It doesn't matter if it's more or less powerful than the PSP. It impacts the portability of the device, which undermines one of the major ways people use the device.

The PSP's battery life was also too low.

Smartphones typically get 24-48 idle hours (using 3G connectivity the whole time), they typically get 5-8 hours doing intensive gaming.

SeanR1221

Every child I know, and I say this without hyperbole, has moved from a DS to an iPod Touch.

And every parent I talk to gives me (pretty much) the same reason. The games are so cheap.

If you buy a game at full price, the developers and publishers etc all get set shares of that dollar amount. What happens when its discounted? Say if you buy a game new, a couple months later at half the price, who loses out? The retailer, publisher, or is every party affected the same?

lowrider007

walking fiend said:
you made a false claim about it being worse than similar devices from a technical point. it is a false claim regardless of the value it represents.

Purely based on actual screen size my claim is correct, it doesn't matter if 'technically' I am incorrect becuase that makes no difference to the consumer, they just care about what they see, and thus far that is a device with a 3.53 inch screen and sub par graphics with a very very poor battery life, hell even turning off the 3D only manages to gain you about an extra hour, technically speaking I think it's actually the brightness that's killing the battery life as due to the nature of the screen the back light has to be about twice as bright as the DS systems to be able to match the equivalent brightness level.

Again, you keep missing what the problem actually is. The problem isn't that the 3DS' battery life is too low given the size of the screen and the 3D effect, it's that the 3DS' battery life is too low. It doesn't matter if it's more or less powerful than the PSP. It impacts the portability of the device, which undermines one of the major ways people use the device.

The PSP's battery life was also too low.
no, I am pointing out a clear distinction. Value perception DOES NOT equals to technological performance. You are putting words in my mouth.

(it is solvable at anyrate, either by batter pack or play in 2D when you need the battery)

Purely based on actual screen size my claim is correct, it doesn't matter if 'technically' I am incorrect becuase that makes no difference to the consumer, they just care about what they see, and thus far that is a device with a 3.53 inch screen and sub par graphics with a very very poor battery life, hell even turning off the 3D only manages to gain you about an extra hour, technically speaking I think it's actually the brightness that's killing the battery life as due to the nature of the screen the back light has to be about twice as bright as the DS systems to be able to match the equivalent brightness level.
if you don't care whether you see in 3D or not, either not buy 3DS or turn 3D off. Battery life will be better than PSP. And seemingly some people don't know it has another 3 inch screen as well which actually shows gameplay stuff, or they are trolling.

Smartphones typically get 24-48 idle hours (using 3G connectivity the whole time), they typically get 5-8 hours doing intensive gaming.
they don't 'typically', and by being idle you must mean really idle and not normal usage, in which case is similar to 3DS being in sleep mode which actually lasts a day.

Raist

Banned
walking fiend said:

anyhow, get Nyko battery pack at 20$ if battery is your issue.

it is a shame because of hyperbole some people don't buy system/games otherwise they would have.

What kind of fuzzy logic is that? It's the same screen with the same number of pixels. 3D mode doesn't magically make it bigger, it just has one half the pixels display a different image than the other half.

Raist said:
What kind of fuzzy logic is that? It's the same screen with the same number of pixels. 3D mode doesn't magically make it bigger, it just has one half the pixels display a different image than the other half.
technologically it is different and you actually see more (I believe you have actually seen 3D), and even without considering this, it has 15% more screen in 2D mode than PSP.

SmokyDave

walking fiend said:
technologically it is different and you actually see more (I believe you have actually seen 3D), and even without considering this, it has 15% more screen in 2D mode than PSP.
Wouldn't it be more accurate to compare the 3DS to the Vita? Do we know the battery life figures for that yet?

How does the 3DS stack up against an iPhone 4? The iPhone obviously has a much better screen and a much smaller form factor so I'd expect the 3DS to win out. I charge my iPhone 4 overnight but I've never expended the entire battery gaming so I don't know how long it lasts under those conditions.

The 3DS is still a technological disappointment, battery life aside.

Cheech

SeanR1221 said:
Every child I know, and I say this without hyperbole, has moved from a DS to an iPod Touch.

And every parent I talk to gives me (pretty much) the same reason. The games are so cheap.

Ding ding ding. Dedicated gaming handhelds are dead. The only reason the cheaper DSes are trucking is because Apple doesn't have a $130 Touch - yet.

lowrider007

walking fiend said:

Mate, you can spin it anyway you want, for what my eyes see in terms of screen real estate (main screen) and quality of graphics the system has a shit battery, and most of the world seems to think the same as it has been reported on and complained about on practically every technology blog/site, if your happy with you system then good for you but as I said earlier I'll buy a 3DS when they fix it, I used to be a massive Nintendo fan but I won't buy fools gold.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I would say one of the 3DS's major issues is actually the name. The average consumer is confused by DS/lite/i/XL/3DS, and so many people don't realize it's not just a minor hardware upgrade.

I can actually see the same confusion happening over the Wii U later on.

Kusagari

Kagari said:
I would say one of the 3DS's major issues is actually the name. The average consumer is confused by DS/lite/i/XL/3DS, and so many people don't realize it's not just a minor hardware upgrade.

I agree with the same confusion happening with Wii U. At least the Wii U has a distinct name though. The 3DS's name pretty much says that it's just a hardware revision with 3D added. Nintendo really should have thought it out better.

lowrider007

Kagari said:

Was speaking to a mate of mine about this very issue that night, in hindsight the Name '3DS' makes sense being that the system is 3D, but at the same time it doesn't help separate the system from the pack, I agree and as did my mate that most consumers seem to think that the 3DS is just an expensive iteration of the DS.

gerg said:
I've never understood why people think that consumers are that stupid. Ignorant, perhaps, but not stupid.

Really?, you should speak to some of the people on here that work or have worked in places like gamestop etc.

SeanR1221 said:

Seriously? How old are they? I don't know a single child with an ipod touch. You mean tween/teen?

BurntPork

Banned
gerg said:
Because it will most likely be a comparatively cheap upgrade from the Wii (if Nintendo offers two SKUs), and Nintendo will still probably be the best at offering content for the expanded audience. Microsoft can only ride the success of Kinect in two genres for so long, after all.
People are still insane enough to think that Nintendo will will launch a Wii U SKU without the screen controller? Really? If so, may i please have some of what you're smoking? That has to be some good shit.

Scum

Kagari said:

I also wonder about the many, many people out there who "mistakenly" pick up 3DS games for their DSi/DSLites. The 3DS/DS section at my local Tesco has ended up a mishmash of 3DS & DS games because of how damn similar the game boxes are! Maybe, Nintendo should seriously consider redesigning the game boxes for the 3DS as a start...

gerg

BurntPork said:
People are still insane enough to think that Nintendo will will launch a Wii U SKU without the screen controller? Really? If so, may i please have some of what you're smoking? That has to be some good shit.

No, I was thinking of an SKU without a Wii Remote and Nunchuk controller, considering that Nintendo probably wants a lot of Wii owners to upgrade to the Wii U.

lowrider007

Horsemama1956 said:
Seriously? How old are they? I don't know a single child with an ipod touch. You mean tween/teen?

Yep, same in my area, I know this is only anecdotal but most children in my area and I'm talking 10+ either have iTouches or want them, the 8gb 4g is so cheap now for what is offers, both by younger brothers got iTouches last Christmas, the way my mum sees it is that they can use it to face-time their mates, surf the net, play games inexpensively, watch videos, listen to music etc, the list goes on, a big difference in terms of perceived value proposition compared to a 3DS

Stumpokapow said:
My iPhone 4 manages roughly half that. My 3GS was worse.

lowrider007 said:
These complaints are almost exactly identical to the original DS. It basically chopped GBASP battery life in half (5-8 hours iirc), with subpar graphics for the time and screen not all that large or nice. That was mostly rectified with the Lite in 2006 (as were it's formfactor issues), so I look forward to next year's 3DS revision (I'm betting it's OLED).

SmokyDave

Horsemama1956 said:
It's the hand-me-down effect. Adult buys iPod (G1), upgrades (G2) and gives iPod (G1) to Tween. Next upgrade cycle, tween passes old device (G1) on to child after receiving old iPod (G2) from adult (Now G3).

I know I hand my old iDevices down to my nieces and nephews.

SeanR1221 said:

I said something along this line last year and I was told that I was being an idiot and no parent would buy their kids ipod, iphone... all my kids and their friends want them and have them and they prefer to game on iPod, iPhone and iPad. My kid still on occasion take out the DS or PSP but only if they are going on a long trip.

We all talking about Apple, Google getting into console gaming, well they actually already did. iPhone, iTouch is essentially a portable gaming system for next generation.

To the one asking how old are the kids, they are between 10-14 ... ipod touch and even last gen iPhone are not that expensive. I gave my daughter my old iPhone that she used as iTouch.

Tobor

gerg said:
I've never understood why people think that consumers are that stupid. Ignorant, perhaps, but not stupid.
It's not a question of stupidity, it's a question of interest. Most consumers aren't as involved as we are in gaming, they buy systems and games on a whim, or for the kids.

They walk into Best Buy and see a big sign that says "choose your DS" and has the 3DS listed right alongside the others. Anyone not consumed by gaming would easily come to the conclusion that the 3DS is a high priced DS.

It's a failure of marketing by Nintendo, plain and simple.

Top Bottom