• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD June 2012 Results [Up1: Microsoft/Nintendo Hardware, Lego Batman 2, Lollipop]

Takao

Banned
You see I think the ps3 was a massive success but that is me

That would be just you. The PS3 is Sony's biggest single device disaster, and is only rivaled by their TV division for the biggest money pit in company history. Vita could sell 0 units from now until 2015, and it would still be less of a disaster. Sony just made the disaster a presentable one, but that doesn't change what it was.

jman2050

F2P games are rapidly growing, the PC market is growing, facebook gaming and mobile gaming are growing. Where outside of the traditional console/handheld market is gaming struggling?

I can't speak on the others but my understanding is that some are anticipating a crash in Facebook gaming in the near future.

glad to see the 3DS actually selling decently

I wonder if NSMB2 will improve anything

Vita+PSP=100k? It would be cool to know which console sold the best

2d mario always brings the thunder

@jman2050

zynga in particular is in big trouble

That would be just you. The PS3 is Sony's biggest single device disaster, and is only rivaled by their TV division for the biggest money pit in company history. Vita could sell 0 units from now until 2015, and it would still be less of a disaster. Sony just made the disaster a presentable one, but that doesn't change what it was.

I am sure other people on the board think the ps3 was a success. It made profit, its selling, its not as big of a success, but still

Call of duty and assCreed ate the two biggest ips this Gen from western developers. 3ds which is supposedly doing well has neither of these games on it. When 3ds was selling like crap they canceled it and turned it into revelations. When vita is selling like crap they make an exclusive version designed specifically for vita and so far looks really good. When vita is selling good it gets its own CoD ( one of the biggest IPs in media history ) and 3ds is selling well its no where to be found on that system. I can't name a western 3rd part game in DS that's not a port. 3ds and vita suck at western 3rd part support but because of AssCreed and CoD vita edges it out IMO. And lol at declassified not hitting this year. I guess the ps3/wii/PC version of black ops won't be hitting this year due to lack of footage XD.

Wow...where to start.

1) AC 3DS was cancelled before the 3DS even launched
2) Call of Duty is popular because of its mulitplayer component and that does not bode well for a handheld release
3) Are you really comparing ports of a game to completely different version on Vita? You know Black Ops Declassified is not the same game as BO2 right?

ShdwDrake

Banned
Pokemon Conquest seemed really hard to find/sold out in a lot of places. I wonder if it will sell well down the road as a result, and/or if sales were lower than they could have been because of low shipping/expectations.

Yeah like noone preordered that shit so we got like 4 copies lol

The 3ds is selling higher right now than any previous handheld.........The consoles have to recover too

I mean its easy to point the finger to the handhelds

but the only system with growth is 3ds this month

Sorry, but that's not remotely true. On the same timeline, the GBA is kicking the hell out of the 3DS. The equivalent June for the GBA (2nd year) was over half a million units. The GBA never saw a sub-200k month until after the DS launched.

The 3DS is doing well vs. the DS because of how awful the DS did prior to the Lite redesign, but that comparison is going to look very different in 4 months. It's not selling too badly, but don't kid yourself that it's setting records. It's not.

mujun

How much money have they lost on it?

test_account

XP-39C²
I dont think we can say that yet when it just literally started and the 3ds is outpacing the ds, and the vita, well it needs time, and games
Seeing that the DS increased hugely in popularity, i think that it is more approriate to do comparison to the later sales rather than the very early sales when DS wasnt as popular. But yes, i agree that it is still early and that thing can change for the better.

jman2050

zynga in particular is in big trouble

The stock price is bad but I think we need to wait until the 25th to have an actual picture as to where Zynga might be going.

Also there's always the whole poker thing they have going, though if they transition to that as their primary moneymaker then we aren't really dealing in the same market now, are we.

Sorry, but that's not remotely true. On the same timeline, the GBA is kicking the hell out of the 3DS. The equivalent June for the GBA (2nd year) was over half a million units. The GBA never saw a sub-200k month until after the DS launched.

The 3DS is doing well vs. the DS because of how awful the DS did prior to the Lite redesign, but that comparison is going to look very different in 4 months. It's not selling too badly, but don't kid yourself that it's setting records. It's not.

Agreed the 3DS is still selling very mediocre and comparison to the DS do it no favor.

The gba didnt do the numbers the 3ds did in the first year overall.

Remember, the 3ds had just as aweful a start.........

Its setting personal nintendo records.....Its there fastest selling US nintendo system to 5 Million they did say that about 4 months ago when they were getting close

jman2050

The short shelf life really colors people's perceptions about the GBA. I don't think people truly understand how much of a freight train it was worldwide when it was released.

Remember, the DS was released only three years after the GBA. What it did in that short timeframe in all territories is nothing short of impressive.

f2p isnt growing like people think more games fail that way than succeed, pc market grew only because of diablo 3, 1 title, facebook gaming is crashing, and mobile gaming for alot of the bigger names is contracting more than you might think according to gameindustry.

PC gaming has been growing for years before the release of D3. F2P is growing at a huge rate, sure there are lots of failures (like in every type of business) but in general it's growing fast.

Who cares if mobile gaming is contracting for the big names? Overall it's growing and that's what matters. Facebook i'm not sure about it may be contracting.

Ok, so it sold less than the ps2.

But it made profit, It had great games, and thats all a business would want.

Lol seriously? Why would the business world care about it having great games? Also i don't know what world you're living in but the PS3 did not make a profit, it's like 6+ billion in the whole coming off a console that made billions of dollars. The amount of money lost by the PS3 is immense.

Kusagari

I'm kind of amazed at how much better Lollipop Chainsaw did than Shadows of the Damned did in June last year.

I remember the thread on Shadows of the Damned's sales here. Half the posters had no idea it came out. And that's fucking saying something on GAF.

WB, on the other hand, advertised Lollipop like crazy.

The stock price is bad but I think we need to wait until the 25th to have an actual picture as to where Zynga might be going.

Also there's always the whole poker thing they have going, though if they transition to that as their primary moneymaker then we aren't really dealing in the same market now, are we.

I remember seeing a chart of stocks before E3, of like 30 game company stocks and I think only 1 was green

PC gaming has been growing for years before the release of D3. F2P is growing at a huge rate, sure there are lots of failures (like in every type of business) but in general it's growing fast.

Who cares if mobile gaming is contracting for the big names? Overall it's growing and that's what matters. Facebook i'm not sure about it may be contracting.

Lol seriously? Why would the business world care about it having great games? Also i don't know what world you're living in but the PS3 did not make a profit, it's like 6+ billion in the whole coming off a console that made billions of dollars. The amount of money lost by the PS3 is immense.

Your wrong on your "growth" but lets move on its circles.

I am refering to profit of each unit sold. I have no idea how much they lost developing

Do you have numbers?

Its setting personal nintendo records.....Its there fastest selling US nintendo system to 5 Million they did say that about 4 months ago when they were getting close

Yes, it did. The GBA sold 2 million units more than the 3DS did in its first 12 months, 6.5 million vs 4.5 million.

Those are US sales (as is this thread). I'd have to look up worldwide shipments in Nintendo's data, but I think you have some bad info there. I believe the comparisons you're referring to were comparisons vs. the DS.

Elios83

It really depends on what you're looking at.
Financially for Sony it was a failure (they lost billions and their leadership), but as a product from a consumer side it's a great success. It delivered with amazing games and on the Blu Ray promise when Blu Ray was still in its infancy fighting with the HD-DVD. It was also the product which allowed Sony to build a solid infrastructure for the future with PSN/SEN.
It's not either total black or white.
I couldn't care less if Sony hasn't lost of billions on VIta if I, as a consumer, lose MY 250€ on a piece of unsupported shit :p (which I'm confident that won't be the case btw).

It's really impossible to know how much money the PS3 lost because while we got financials for PS specifcally back then the PSP and PS2 were bringing in profits covering up how bad the PS3 was doing.

Wasn't the general consensus was that the Vita was going to be a runaway hit when it was first announced?

Yep. People were even talking of it outselling the 3DS in Japan. It was especially assured success once that pricepoint came in. It wasn't until the Monster Hunter announcement that the tune started to change.

The short shelf life really colors people's perceptions about the GBA. I don't think people truly understand how much of a freight train it was worldwide when it was released.

Remember, the DS was released only three years after the GBA. What it did in that short timeframe in all territories is nothing short of impressive.

I loved the gba. One of my favorite libraries ever.

I still play advance wars to this day

(so much negativity, its sort of depressing)

I remember seeing a chart of stocks before E3, of like 30 game company stocks and I think only 1 was green

How many of those were big names in the home console/handheld market?

Your wrong on the top line but lets move on.

No i'm not.

I am refering to profit of each unit sold. I have no idea how much they lost developing

Do you have numbers?

They have been plastered on these boards for years. The PS3 has lost like 6+ billion dollars as i said above, when you take into account that was during the profitable years of the PSP and PS2 who knows how much it has actually lost them.

They also didn't profit off each unit sold. Early on as far as i remember sony were losing like over $100 per console sold or something crazy like that.

Kusagari

Wasn't the general consensus was that the Vita was going to be a runaway hit when it was first announced?

On GAF yes. I never bought the hype and always said it didn't have a key marketing point.

It always looked like it was falling into the same exact trap PSP did. People were too blinded by the hardware.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Colonel Mustard said:
It didn't. In fact, it ate all profit from Sony's two prior generations.

Ugh. /facepalm

This. Again.

Demonstrably untrue based on examination of Sony's financials, a gross oversimplification considering PS2 continued to create revenue throughout the PS3's life-span, and it didn't come from a financial analyst, it was a glib sound-bite from Dave Perry (of Gaikai, and now irony of ironies, Sony).

Curufinwe

How many of those were big names in the home console/handheld market?

No i'm not.

They have been plastered on these boards for years. The PS3 has lost like 6+ billion dollars as i said above, when you take into account that was during the profitable years of the PSP and PS2 who knows how much it has actually lost them.

They also didn't profit off each unit sold. Early on as far as i remember sony were losing like over $100 per console sold or something crazy like that.

1) You are but its a sorry and depressing argument

2) EA, zynga, nintendo, sony, microsoft.......at least the big names

3) I am new to this board, so you will have to forgive me if I dont know all the data/negative stuff thats been posted. Being on boards is fairly new to me as it is

Cipherr

On GAF yes. I never bought the hype and always said it didn't have a key marketing point.

It always looked like it was falling into the same exact trap PSP did. People were too blinded by the hardware.

It was the exact same thing all over again. Everything from the GAF threads to the shitty IGN articles. Just the minor things changed. It was going to be 'different' this time.

Yeah, Im sure the WiiU will be 'different' this time too. Don't hold your breath.

Gartooth

Good for Lego Batman 2, I didn't have much interest in that game due to it being aimed at a younger crowd, but at least it looks like younger generations may finally get introduced to some DC characters not named Batman and Superman.

Not much to look forward to for July, software sales will reflect that. Same goes for August aside from Nintendo releasing NSMB2 and 3DSXL.

Yep. People were even talking of it outselling the 3DS in Japan. It was especially assured success once that pricepoint came in. It wasn't until the Monster Hunter announcement that the tune started to change.

Well, things really started to change with the 3DS price cut. But yeah, the writing on the wall was pretty damn clear after Sony's incredibly awful pre-TGS press conference.

Striek

The estimates were more like $300-400 IIRC. Remember the PS3 was almost the cheapest BD player when it launched (many were still >$1k when it launched) in addition to crazy ass hardware (a lot of it no longer in new PS3s).

Good for Lego Batman 2, I didn't have much interest in that game due to it being aimed at a younger crowd, but at least it looks like younger generations may finally get introduced to some DC characters not named Batman and Superman.

Not much to look forward to for July, software sales will reflect that. Same goes for August aside from Nintendo releasing NSMB2 and 3DSXL.

August will be interesting because of the possible new PS3 slim and pricecut. Also Sony is reporting their financials soon which opens the possibility for a Vita pricecut as well.

Wow...where to start.

1) AC 3DS was cancelled before the 3DS even launched
2) Call of Duty is popular because of its mulitplayer component and that does not bode well for a handheld release
3) Are you really comparing ports of a game to completely different version on Vita? You know Black Ops Declassified is not the same game as BO2 right?
Madden vita is different from the console version. Didn't show screen shots until earlier this month or late last month....... games comes out next month.

Who says cod multi player can't be popular on vita if its different from its console brethren. Even if its the same thing if marketed correctly its definitely going to move units. Vita is not PSP or ds its able to deliver a full ungimped experience.

3 1/2 years, and remember that the GBA had solid software support, from both first and third parties, for a bit over two years after the DS launched. The GBA had a good 5 1/2 years of first-party support, about 6 1/2 including third parties.

Cheebo

Banned

GBA is crushing 3DS at this point in its life span. The DS was dead till DS Lite, the fact 3DS is beating it is nothing to be proud of. Even Iwata said 3DS isn't doing that good in America just a week or so ago.

In Japan they are fine but the western market has moved on to smartphones and tablets. The dedicated handheld game market here is just a niche now.

3 1/2 years, and remember that the GBA had solid software support, from both first and third parties, for a bit over two years after the DS launched. The GBA had a good 5 1/2 years of first-party support, about 6 1/2 including third parties.

it had good first party but third party abandonded it beside square and a few other japanese dudes

GBA is crushing 3DS at this point in its life span.

I am just going off what nintendo said thats all

Matt

Madden vita is different from the console version. Didn't show screen shots until earlier this month or late last month....... games comes out next month.

Who says cod multi player can't be popular on vita if its different from its console brethren. Even if its the same thing if marketed correctly its definitely going to move units. Vita is not PSP or ds its able to deliver a full ungimped experience.

How many Vitas do you really think a lesser version of CoD will move? Because it would honestly have to be millions...

Top Bottom