• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2009

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
Recession or lack of compelling titles? April sucked for releases and hardware is reaching its saturation point.

Slurmer

Banned
Mooreberg said:
If they don't announce a price drop at E3 they might as well shift development focus back to the PS2.

That would actually be awesome and hilarious.

Terrible month for PS3 and 360

Linkup said:
FIT W/ BALANCE BOARD NINTENDO OF AMERICA Wii 471K
POKEMON PLATINUM VERSION NINTENDO OF AMERICA NDS 433K
MARIO KART W/ WHEEL NINTENDO OF AMERICA Wii 210K
PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA Wii 170K
THE GODFATHER II ELECTRONIC ARTS 360 155K
RESIDENT EVIL 5* CAPCOM USA 360 122K
NEW SUPER MARIO BROS NINTENDO OF AMERICA NDS 119K
MARIO KART DS NINTENDO OF AMERICA NDS 112K
GUITAR HERO AEROSMITH* ACTIVISION BLIZZARD (CORP) 360 110K
THE GODFATHER II ELECTRONIC ARTS PS3 91K

someone explain?

It was onsale pretty much every where with some places even having it for $9.99

AniHawk

Linkup said:
FIT W/ BALANCE BOARD NINTENDO OF AMERICA Wii 471K
POKEMON PLATINUM VERSION NINTENDO OF AMERICA NDS 433K
MARIO KART W/ WHEEL NINTENDO OF AMERICA Wii 210K
PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA Wii 170K
THE GODFATHER II ELECTRONIC ARTS 360 155K
RESIDENT EVIL 5* CAPCOM USA 360 122K
NEW SUPER MARIO BROS NINTENDO OF AMERICA NDS 119K
MARIO KART DS NINTENDO OF AMERICA NDS 112K
GUITAR HERO AEROSMITH* ACTIVISION BLIZZARD (CORP) 360 110K
THE GODFATHER II ELECTRONIC ARTS PS3 91K

someone explain?

Money can be exchanged for goods and services.

Ashodin

GDGF said:
:lol Maybe the other way around.
I think a lot of people (including myself) have said that leaving the PS2 out will just hamper PS3 terribly, and it does.

However, Sony looks at it probably as a "combined PlayStation selling ratio" compared to other competitors.

iceatcs

Yeah PS2 price cut does little help. but Holy shit all the rest. Shit NPD.

DSi is only single winner.

w3stfa11

I find it weird that even in this recession, people still bought 1 million DSi's priced at $170! And they bought nearly half a million Wii Fits at <strike>$99</strike>$89!

I expected Excitebots to sell at least 91k. :(

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Stoney Mason said:
I always dispute the marketing idea some what but whatever the reason they did something wrong. It's arguably the best looking game in an extremely popular genre. It's well reviewed and well hyped PS3 title. And it still didn't click in a way that it should have sales wise.
This is a clear example of why you're wrong. Marketing didn't do this game any favors whatsoever.

AniHawk

vectorman06 said:
So, RE5 sold 1 million+ units on the 360 right?

And it's pretty awesome considering that's two months of numbers. But it reinforces my belief that it's going to be slow to become the best-selling game in the series.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
chubigans said:
That was pretty obvious two weeks before launch. It had nowhere near the kind of marketing blitz it would need to sustain high numbers.

For awesome marketing tips, see: Microsoft (Gears of War and Halo have fantastic marketing packages during pre/post launch).

Doesnt help that the game has absolutely terrible dubbing on the single player campaign. It's like watching an old hong kong movie or something.

LCfiner

holy shit. I don't even want to look at my prediction numbers. waaaay off. :lol

horrible sales month (except for DSi launch).

the recession has finally hit the gaming business hard

Jon

w3stfa11 said:
I find it weird that even in this recession, people still bought 1 million DSi's priced at $170! And they bought nearly half a million Wii Fits at $89!

Fixed.

Hootie

perfectchaos007 said:
If some people still don't believe the recession has hit gaming....what are yall smoking?

RonPaul.jpg

RBH

I feel that at least one version of UFC Undisputed will be in the Top 5 in May NPD; maybe even both versions.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Kusagari said:
Who on Earth expected Killzone 2 to be a Gears of War level hit for PS3?

Did you go in the KZ2 official thread before release? Hell, did you go in ANY thread before the release of KZ2?

Ashodin

chubigans said:
This is a clear example of why you're wrong. Marketing didn't do this game any favors whatsoever.
Pretty Pictures in a museum may be reviewed and acclaimed, but most people don't have that $10k tag to buy it. Same deal applies here. The masses just don't have the monay.

gregor7777 said:
Poor PS3 :lol

DS owns

It seems like the X360 went down the most for some odd reason and it is finally at a consumer friendly price unlike the PS3 which is still $400-$500. Maybe Wii went down because everyone in the US who really wanted one finally got one. It feels like it sold about a billion units in the US or something? :lol

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Maxrpg said:
Pretty Pictures in a museum may be reviewed and acclaimed, but most people don't have that $10k tag to buy it. Same deal applies here. The masses just don't have the monay.
I'm not talking about sellthroughs with new PS3 customers (any one game will not push a $400 system right now); it should have sold more with the existing PS3 userbase, and it really didn't.

EMBee99 said:
Recession or lack of compelling titles? April sucked for releases and hardware is reaching its saturation point.
X360 even without GTAIV release or any bundle is just -7% YOY, April is a slow month, it seems that with the right price you "just" need some good titles

I'm already wondering next month data for X360 ( i wanna see if goty bundle have some effect YOY, even over the bundled software :) )

chubigans said:

I know. I hear this idea every time every big PS3 title outside of maybe Metal Gear underperforms.

GDGF

Soothsayer
w3stfa11 said:

I haven't seen a single Excitebot commercial. Are they even advertising it?

I've seen a bunch of Punch Out!! adverts on the tv, though!

Mrbob

GH back in the top 10. Only takes giving the game away for this to occur! :lol

I think I got a free copy of Aerosmith with my subway meal deal the other day.

PS3 and PSP sales are pretty poor. So are 360 sales surprisingly. Sony hasn't adjusted a major factor to PS3 sales (price), but MS is doing almost everything they can to get a 360 in the home. System is $199 with two free games packaged in, and consumers still aren't biting in big numbers. Maybe a PS3 price drop won't be as big of an impact as we think.

Ashodin

AniHawk said:
The price drop happened around Gears of War 2's release date.
Interesting to see PS3 still hang in with 360 even with its price drop. It's like people want to spend more money... but not as much as those who want to spend less!

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Jon said:
EEDAR analyst Jesse Divnich pedicted 154,000 units sold for Rhythm Heaven. He said its sales were "Nothing short of amazing."

...What happened?
Well for starters, Divnich seems to be in the wrong profession.

w3stfa11

Keep milking away, Activision.

One area we personally enjoy following is the music genre. Some feel that it's becoming an over-saturated market. Frazier doesn't agree, however. "The Music/Dance game genre realized a unit sales increase of 55% this month as compared to last April so the genre as a whole is doing great. There are more games in this space now than there used to be so it's more fragmented, GH Metallica and GH Aerosmith were the third and fourth best games for the month when you combine sales of all SKUs and platforms."

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/n...7-in-april-09-despite-ds-surge-/?biz=1&page=2

Ashodin

chubigans said:
I'm not talking about sellthroughs with new PS3 customers (any one game will not push a $400 system right now); it should have sold more with the existing PS3 userbase, and it really didn't.
Existing userbase has little money to spend as well, and there have been increasingly cheap titles offered on PSN as of late I hear?

Top Bottom