• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2009

Mardil

I know the PS2 library is amazing and whatnot, but why buy a PS2 now? I can't get into my head how that console manages to stay up there every month.

Banned
Cruzader said:
wtf? 360@$199 and doing this bad?

When the PS3 gets dropped to $299 some of you should hope it outsells the 360 at that same price. If not there isn`t enough crow in the world.

chubigans said:
This is a clear example of why you're wrong. Marketing didn't do this game any favors whatsoever.

I really think attributing KZ2's soft impact to "marketing" is just punting. The game did very solid numbers for a given random exclusive shooter, but it was never going to catch fire like Gears did because the uniquely receptive conditions (a ravenous early-adopter base desperately looking for a new online title) just aren't present in the same way.

Gomu Gomu

A.R.K said:
Looks like its time for ....

14jn6v5.jpg
:lol

Johann

Kusagari said:
Who on Earth expected Killzone 2 to be a Gears of War level hit for PS3?

If I gave someone four years and a huge budget to make a game, they better hit it out of the ballpark and sell a lot of systems.

Killzone 2 was supposed to sells systems and help migrate the 360 shooter userbase into the PS3 but we've seen nothing resembling that. For that much money Sony could have bought a lot of exclusives or funded a hundred PSN games.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
GameGamer said:
Should Sony discontinue the PS2 so people have to go PS3?

This strategy would make more sense if Sony hadn't removed backwards compatibility from the PS3, but even then it wouldn't make much sense at all. Discontinuing the PS2 would accomplish three things that would be bad for Sony:

1.) They could no longer seriously talk about a 10 year plan for PS3, since the PS2 would have been discontinued after somewhere between 8 and 9 9 and 10 years, despite its massive success.

2.) They would lose the millions of dollars in sales still to be had off of PS2 hardware, and not recoup much of it in sales of PS3 (if any).

3.) Those who had wanted a PS2 will a.) buy one used, or b.) buy a Wii.

On another note, I'm mostly disappointed in sales of Wii for this month because they JUST missed passing the 20 million mark in the U.S. Right now I've got them at 19.9 million units. I was certain they would sell the <500,000 units they needed this month to pass that milestone. Oh well.

Flying_Phoenix said:
- DS nearly outsells PSP by literally 10 times (I know about the DSi but still PSP is really low)

Actually, "literally" 10x would have been 1.16 million. The DS outsold PSP by "literally" 8.965 times.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
charlequin said:
I really think attributing KZ2's soft impact to "marketing" is just punting. The game did very solid numbers for a given random exclusive shooter, but it was never going to catch fire like Gears did because the uniquely receptive conditions (a ravenous early-adopter base desperately looking for a new online title) just aren't present in the same way.
I agree there, and I also think FPSs aren't nearly as popular on the PS3 as they are on the 360. I don't think they could have broken records here, but they could have done a lot better.

Wollan

Johann said:
Killzone 2 was supposed to sells systems and help migrate the 360 shooter userbase into the PS3 but we've seen nothing resembling that. For that much money Sony could have bought a lot of exclusives or funded a hundred PSN games.
The game quality is a great success. Guerrilla isn't to be blamed.
Lack of heavy marketing is the genuine excuse here.

donny2112

GH Metallica and GH Aerosmith were the third and fourth best games for the month when you combine sales of all SKUs and platforms.

So even combining them as much as possible to give them every possible advantage, they still couldn't sell over 433K. Wow, that's bad. Even worse for World Tour, since she didn't bother to mention it.

FrankT

Johann said:
If I gave someone four years and a huge budget to make a game, they better hit it out of the ballpark and sell a lot of systems.

It would be interesting just to know the actual overall budget for the title.

Anyone have LTD's?

OldJadedGamer said:
I rented it and it wasn't that bad. For $10 bucks you could do worse.

At GameStop, you even got an Xplorer for free with the game, so it was really like you were paying like negative $25 dollars for it.

charlequin said:
So yeah. It is now official: if your game doesn't have a top ten franchise name (or "Nintendo") on the package, you should just pack your fucking office up and get a job selling solar panels or something, because no one is going to buy your game.
are you counting godfather? maybe aaa team should do license games for the hypes?

w3stfa11

GDGF said:
I haven't seen a single Excitebot commercial. Are they even advertising it?

With the current Wii install base, good reviews, accessible gameplay and a recognized name, wtf happened that it couldn't muster 91K+ in sales?

Maybe because it was only tracked for ~10 days and over time, people will buy it through word of mouth.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Its April people. Slow ass month, usually one of the slowest. Also, no big games hit this month unlike last year. May will probably have low numbers as well.

iceatcs

Sony need cut the price much more not $50 will help. I think they may kind in stuck but will see. New SKU or massive price cut only way?

Microsoft, hmm I hope it won't dropping too much because they have already cut the price not long ago. I have no idea they will do it again soon but $199 to $299 didn't do any closer to Wii. So another price cut look like won't work. They need something on those markets. Maybe wait for E3?

Chumly

Jon said:
EEDAR analyst Jesse Divnich pedicted 154,000 units sold for Rhythm Heaven. He said its sales were "Nothing short of amazing."

...What happened?
I guess going to the local gamestop and asking the manager how much theyve been selling isnt the best way to predict sales?

EagleEyes

Balb said:
I'm not buying this logic. It's a well established fact that the best selling SKU for the 360 is the $300 model.
It has already been stated that the average price sold on a 360 is $290.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Maxrpg said:
Existing userbase has little money to spend as well, and there have been increasingly cheap titles offered on PSN as of late I hear?
Didn't stop SF4 and RE5 from selling awesomely on the PS3. Cmon man, you're picking at straws here. :p

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Wollan said:

you really think it's worth $60 million?

chubigans said:
I agree there, and I also think FPSs aren't nearly as popular on the PS3 as they are on the 360. I don't think they could have broken records here, but they could have done a lot better.

I'm not really sure what exactly they could have done on top of delivering a gorgeous, critically acclaimed game that was considered to have good multiplayer and whose name every single person who owns a PS3 or has considered buying one has heard hundreds of times.

NeoUltima

Wollan said:
Yup. TV commercials alone are not enough. They need to do stuff like MS does with Halo and Gears.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
w3stfa11 said:
With the current Wii install base, good reviews, accessible gameplay and a recognized name, wtf happened that it couldn't muster 91K+ in sales?
Excitebots is a recognized name?

Scrubking

w3stfa11 said:

1. Excite Truck is recognizable not Excitebots
2. People continue to wholly underestimate the power and need for strong advertising
3. Tail, etc

:lol :lol :lol

Holy shit @ people bailing off the KZ2 hype-wagon so fast. Sure this will be the death kneel for the 'wait for' crowd.

Ashodin

chubigans said:
Didn't stop SF4 and RE5 from selling awesomely on the PS3. Cmon man, you're picking at straws here. :p
SF4 and RE5 are highly popular franchises with a much more dedicated fanbase than Killzone, I believe.

desh

What are April 2007 numbers?

In the analysis of the original post, the April 2009 numbers were said to be above that of April 2008, and that April 2009 was still the second best April of all time. However, is that because of the great sales of the DS this month, or a combination of something else? So, what are the April 2007 numbers for just the consoles, and how do those number compare to this month?

AniHawk

iceatcs said:
Sony need cut the price much more not $50 will help. I think they may kind in stuck but will see. New SKU or massive price cut only way?

Microsoft, hmm I hope it won't dropping too much because they have already cut the price not long ago. I have no idea they will do it again soon but $199 to $299 didn't do any closer to Wii. So another price cut look like won't work. They need something on those markets. Maybe wait for E3?

MS price cut to $100 arcade and $200 pro. The system's 3.5 years old. At this point last gen, MS was about to unveil the 360 and the Xbox was $180. Come on Microsoft, get on it.

The PS3 needs to be $300 and the Wii needs to be $200 at least.

Wollan

Haunted said:
Wait, 60? Last I heard was 42 million. >_>
Killzone 2 cost more than 21million $.
According to Guerrilla there are a handful of more expensive gaming projects released yearly.

Cruzader

Banned
Karma said:
When the PS3 gets dropped to $299 some of you should hope it outsells the 360 at that same price. If not there isn`t enough crow in the world.
before 360 got the 199 drop and PS3 dropped to 400, PS3 was selling fine...just sayin.

iceatcs

AniHawk said:
MS price cut to $100 arcade and $200 pro. The system's 3.5 years old. At this point last gen, MS was about to unveil the 360.
Don't think they can afford it yet.

Top Bottom