• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2014 [Up2: XB1/360 hardware, PS4 #1/XB1 #2 best selling]

MilesTeg

Banned
What is with that ugly ass wall of text MS PR :|

Anyway 115k or so for Xbone, I would imagine that is lower than anyone could have anticipated. I really hope Ps4 out did that number significantly or else we got problems.

I doubt it. There's been really good deals for both during the holidays these past couple of years. I don't think either are completely dead, but most people who want one got one by now. I don't think even a $99 tag would give 8 year old consoles more than a temporary bump.

I need to buy another PS3...so they got 1 sale from me! (I'm in a really bad spot right now, financially, and I don't own anything gaming-related atm, other than some older Nintendo stuff and all the money I invested into PSN content).

You really don't think they'll sell for $99? Compare a PS3 to a Apple TV, Roku, Fire TV, etc etc and it blows them completely out of the water at that price. Sure, it might not have all the streaming apps those devices have, but you're getting so much more for your money at that point it doesn't matter. Even the Vita TV for $99 would be an awesome deal, imo.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
So handhelds are deader and deader in the US, consoles are deader and deader in Japan. The state of Japanese development is going to be reaaaaaaally "interesting" in a couple of years.

*puts "interesting" into Japanese dictionary*

Translation: iOS/Android

Learned a new word today.

Eusis

This is the shit people were flipping out over in the beginning of the thread?

Bwahahahahaha.
The fact SS didn't break the top ten in spite of selling ahead of Titanfall XB1 should've said everything really.

Though that does have interesting implications for how well Titanfall possibly sold on 360. This may rationalize cross-gen for quite awhile, for better or worse.

EDIT: ... and damn, it's really just more and more disheartening to hear about the state of Japan for gaming. I wasn't hung up on them needing to be on consoles, but I guess enough of America was (if not apathetic to Japanese games period anyway), and the handheld market doesn't seem to have really been strong enough there outside of a few smaller developers/publishers anyway. :/

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I'm somewhat curious whether the bigger publishers consider this favourable or not. If they can draw the same revenue from a consolidated line of releases, do they consider that good, bad, neutral, worrying.

Depends who you are.
If you saw the writing on the wall years ago, you reorganized your development pipeline and became bigger - Activision, EA, Ubisoft. If you didn't or couldn't efficiently enough, you went out of business - Midway, THQ.

Jesus, Americans have no taste at all, calling out publisher like Ubisoft for milking franchises yet continuing to eat the same homogenized garbage every year.

The gaffers that are bitching about annual sequels are not the same people that are content to buy annual skylanders or ac or cod or madden over and over.

Alternatively, if people do fall into both the customer and complainer groups, they still enjoy games enough to buy them and just haven't given up yet, but may with time. For example, ac4is down several million over ac3 right?

It seems Nintendo has more reason to be worried about their handheld business than people would have had you believe. Everyone always took for granted that it would always carry them financially but if their next handheld is the equivalent (sales wise) the the n64 or GameCube of their handheld line they are fucked hard.

The Llama

The fact SS didn't break the top ten in spite of selling ahead of Titanfall XB1 should've said everything really.

Though that does have interesting implications for how well Titanfall possibly sold on 360. This may rationalize cross-gen for quite awhile, for better or worse.

Yeah, I'm really curious to find out what TF on 360 numbers were.

Remember how people were saying the console market is dead? Then the PS4 and Xbone launched and sold really well and we all laughed at those pessimistic idiots?

Maybe they weren't so stupid after all...

quest

Not Banned from OT
Ohhhhhh. Ok that makes perfect sense. Thanks for taking the time to clarify.

Can it be said that the hardcore have bought their consoles or is everyone waiting for e3 to decide what to do next?

Looking at the PS4 numbers I would say the vast majority of the hard core gamer demand has been met. Now Sony has to work on the next group the core gamers. That will take some heavy hitter games and IMO holiday bundles. I don't think the core gamers see the value in these machines compared to last generation. I don't think Sony or MS will be able to keep up the 399.99 price point past next holiday season unless they want sub 100k months.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I think this is probably the best argument for cross-gen:

"-Xbox One sold 447,000 games.
-Xbox 360 sold 2.2 million games."

The Llama

Remember how people were saying the console market is dead? Then the PS4 and Xbone launched and sold really well and we all laughed at those pessimistic idiots?

Maybe they weren't so stupid after all...

Eh, its too early to judge. We'll see where things stand after next holiday season.

I still think Sony can improve Vita situation considerably, by lowering the price a little, releasing VitaTV in the West wish PS Now and getting Minecraft on the system. I also hope they fix the memory card prices and multiple account issue.

Sony should have secured stronger partners for the Vita in Japan like Capcom and Level-5. They also wasted to much money on FPS for the Vita like CoD, Killzone and Borderlands 2, I think that Killzone would have suficed. God of War Ascension should have being a Vita game.

I'm still more than satisfied with my vita, but its frustrating to see how slow Sony is to try anything, they just don't seem to care. Vita is a great hardware, 2 years is to soon to give up.

The Vita situation makes me so mad, but at the end of the day I have plenty to play and look forward to.
Hopefully localizations are still brought over despite it being dead.

Road

Any idea of 2DS sales?

Going by Nintendo shipments, it makes the Vita seem like a success (they shipped only 90k 2DS last quarter).

I wonder if it was the idiotic name, the appearance or both. (I think) the price was right.

Anyway, 4DS should come out November 2015.

Vashetti

Banned
It seems Nintendo has more reason to be worried about their handheld business than people would have had you believe. Everyone always took for granted that it would always carry them financially but if their next handheld is the equivalent (sales wise) the the n64 or GameCube of their handheld line they are fucked hard.

Everyone's been saying Nintendo will outlive Sony and MS in this industry -- I'm calling it and saying they'll be the first to go.

They either go third-party or die. Nobody wants to buy a Nintendo console just to play Nintendo games anymore.

CzZWVNX.jpg

How come I've never seen this lol.

FourMyle

b-b-but the war chest

Nintendo is so doomed they've begun to sink everyone with them

Guess it's time to get a tablet to and accept our new gaming over lords ios/android

Mrbob

Still low, and SS 2nd month is also low.

Software low. Hardware low. We know May will be tough on X1. If May is tough on PS4, better be one heck of an E3 for all involved.

Question, what do you expect at E3 for short term viability? E3 is about future prospects.

Metallix87

Still low, and SS 2nd month is also low.

Software low. Hardware low. We know May will be tough on X1. If May is tough on PS4, better be one heck of an E3 for all involved.

The momentum had to stop sooner or later. I suspected that the PS4 and Xbone would soon have a major downturn in North America. The content just isn't there to keep consumers interested (yet).

Sony was smart to put a title like The Last of Us in June. The summer will be an epic sales drought for other systems but the Ps4 could continue along the same sales lines with a steady stream of indies and The Last of Us, along with the E3 hype. And then the promise of things like the Destiny Beta hitting in the summer.

No doubt someone is not gonna buy a console for a beta, but more and more people could begin seeing the future of software and the abundance of current choice as reason enough to go ahead and pick up the console while the others literally have nothing coming out for it.

The next 4-5 months is going to be interesting.

Top Bottom