• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2016 [Sony, MS, & Nintendo refuse to comment on hardware]

I love Bloodborne, it's my favorite game in a long time, but is it really a "massive" success?

I mean I may know why you are stating that, but last we saw it did 2million+ or are there updated numbers?

I would consider it a massive success, but I guess that depends on expectations. Wouldn't be surprised if it cost half of the budget of a game like Quantum Break.

watdaeff4

I would consider it a massive success, but I guess that depends on expectations. Wouldn't be surprised if it cost half of the budget of a game like Quantum Break.

Obviously more successful than QB and if that is the agenda you are pushing, then okay.

Otherwise agree to disagree that it is a "massive" success

Obviously more successful than QB and if that is the agenda you are pushing, then okay.

I consider it a massive success so we definitely disagree. Based on how recent multiplat From games have sold Bloodborne more than held its own as an exclusive. I think it will hit 3 million lifetime sales.

bigjig

Nice to see Dark Souls 3 and R&C do so well

Surprised to see how badly Quantum Break performed. This was touted as part of the "Greatest Games Lineup", the big xbone off season exclusive to tie owners over until the new Gears and this is all it does? With Uncharted 4 in May and No Man's Sky in June the PS4 just continues to steamroll it this year.

Wait what? We aren't considering bloodborne a massive success? Didn't it sell a mill pretty quick and is sitting at about 2 mil now as an exclusive and it being part of the genre it is I'm pretty sure they're very happy with it.

Wait what? We aren't considering bloodborne a massive success? Didn't it sell a mill pretty quick and is sitting at about 2 mil now as an exclusive and it being part of the genre it is I'm pretty sure they're very happy with it.

It passed 2 million before the expansion dropped. Don't see how it can't be considered a massive success unless we consider all games to have equal expectations...and that would be a farce.

Fat4all

Banned
I swear I see a post like this somewhere else about Quantum Break. Is it a established meme or just a coincident?

It's a meme about the digital sales for Halo 5.

Edit: this one, to be specific:

Your mad if you think digital isn't drastically outselling physical.

I can name one person out of a friendship group of 10 people who bought Halo 5 physically rather than digital. That's 10/90% split in physical/digital in my friendship group. I'd say it's a similar story in a lot of other peoples.

Bsigg12

Microsoft has had to have made a pretty good chunk of the investment on Minecraft back right? Between it consistently selling really well and all the skin packs, they have gotta be pretty happy overall with that purchase.

Rymuth

I swear I see a post like this somewhere else about Quantum Break. Is it a established meme or just a coincident?
People lost their shit when Halo 5 turned out to have sold less than a million. One way to calm down was to over-inflate the digital sales. One user claimed he was the only one out of 9 friends to have bought it retail (the rest were digital)

Or to put it in other words~

QXAFNK8.gif

z1ggy

i like this trend of people buying a game about gameplay/ mechanics rather than a cinematic one. Keep it up the good taste guys.

Fat4all

Banned
Microsoft has had to have made a pretty good chunk of the investment on Minecraft back right? Between it consistently selling really well and all the skin packs, they have gotta be pretty happy overall with that purchase.

I doubt it, but they will make all of it back when they do a follow-up game.

Im starting to feel bad for Scalebound because I cannot see a future in which that game would not crash and burn.
Same thing will happen to it as Sunset Overdrive. Critics may praise it, X1 guys will tell you it’s good enough to buy an X1 for, but it will sell very weakly because it’s not on PS4.

Whatever NX is doing, and Nintendo overall, they have the right idea of not going in the same direction as Sony/MS. Playstation and Xbox are just way too similar man, no reason to own both and spend that type of cash for both boxes unless you have a a good amount of disposable income.

watdaeff4

Successful and profitable? Absolutely

Great game? Absolutely in my opinion

Massive Success? I agree to disagree on that notion

Zetta

People lost their shit when Halo 5 turned out to have sold less than a million. One way to calm down was to over-inflate the digital sales. One user claimed he was the only one out of 9 friends to have bought it retail (the rest were digital)

Or to put it in other words~

QXAFNK8.gif

lmfao, holy hell why haven't I seen this gif before lol. Also I'm so happy to see first and second place being DS3 and R&C. I bought both games and have enjoyed them so much.

Aters

It's a meme about the digital sales for Halo 5.

Edit: this one, to be specific:

This is funny. Though I kind of understand it as a fanboy. Man if FFXV sells that few I'd say the same thing to myself.

Quantum Break estimates?

Merchandise, too.

Probably not yet but they easily will, even if they never release a follow up.

Montresor

Man it's really disheartening seeing a game you love (Quantum Break) fucking bomb. The game should be in the top 3 of this month's NPD. =/ Loved the game from top to bottom, and I hope Microsoft just goes "Don't care, announcing Alan Wake 2 and Quantum Break DLC this E3 anyway".

Unknown?

PS4 won despite Xbox being $50 cheaper officially and several retailers doing their own bundles/discounts. GameStop was giving free games with every XO purchase and Best Buy had deals too.

I thought those heavy discounts would help it edge out another April victory but guess not. I bet it was close though...

Wow, R&C did well. That Quantum Bomb though. Wonder how well it did digitally and with bundles.

StarFox made it! Too bad it probably sold low enough to make Nintendo think "Oh....see?! No one wants Star Fox, we're gonna shelf the IP for a while along with Metroid."

RexNovis

Banned
So wait a second. Given the lack of YoY brags in the MS PR does this mean the XB1 was actually down YoY despite having a $50 discount promotion and a Gamestop trade in promotion? Cause wow if true. That would be an absolutely terrible position for MS. It'd basically mean demand for the system has fallen off a cliff.

Its pretty obvious they are waiting for a big Uncharted 4 PR Splash probably next Tuesday when they can say "Uncharted 4 first week sales................" and then they will mention PS4 sales, upcoming E3 hype. I just expect they are going to have a pretty big PR statement when Uncharted 4 has been on the block a week or so..

R&C proves that mid-tier budget games can work, be priced lower than normal retail games, and be a success.

Loved the reboot, hope to see more of these $39.99 PS1/2 era titles going forward...guarantee it did a lot better than some big budget title like The Order/QB.

Fat4all

Banned
So wait a second. Given the lack of YoY brags in the MS PR does this mean the XB1 was actually down YoY despite having a $50 discount promotion and a Gamestop trade in promotion? Cause wow if true. That would be an absolutely terrible position for MS. It'd basically mean demand for the system has fallen off a cliff.

It's certainly not looking to good. The promotions were everywhere and they had a AAA shooter release, yet they are most likely down YoY.

That's not good at all, even for April.

NolbertoS

So PR silence from all 3 means next gen for all 3 is coming sooner than later. Seems console gaming need a "Revolution" *cough* Nintendo it's your turn to shine *cough* :p

Top Bottom