• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2016 [Sony, MS, & Nintendo refuse to comment on hardware]

What is their next big game?

Gears 4 is their big banger coming up next. Will definitely be their best selling exclusive of the year. It is dropping October 11th and right before all the Holiday Fun. It should have great legs through the Holiday, but we all know, multiplats still dominate the Holidays. It will be interested to see how it performs with so many big multiplats coming out.

Montresor

Is it recore? Though I still think that it is a smaller metroidvania game and that is the reason why no gameplay has been shown yet. But I don't care if it is true I love those kinds of games.

I believe shinobi has hinted in a previous thread that Recore is not a metroidvania.

N.Domixis

Banned
Only one with a solid date is Gears 4. ReCore and Sea of Thieves are both iffy. Forza Horizon 3 hasn't been announced yet but we know it's coming.

Recore is probably a small scale game that just been marketed with CGI to make it seem like a big release or am i wrong?

Ploid 3.0

giphy.gif

Congratulations to you guys at Insomniac.

I'm kinda tearing up inside. Love Insomniac, hope to see more of them, looking forward to their next big game. Go Ratchet & Clank!

Fat4all

Banned
I think Sea of Thieves has a chance to reach a good market depending on their E3 showing and advertising, but yeah, Gears 4 is their next proper big release.

Their marketing for Gears 4 has started super promising.

QaaQer

Recore is probably a small scale game that just been marketed with CGI to make it seem like a big release or am i wrong?

Has ms historically funded smallish '2nd' party games? I think they like the homerun type games if that guy from lionhead is to be believed.

prwxv3

Has ms historically funded smallish '2nd' party games? I think they like the homerun type games if that guy from lionhead is to be believed.

They have been getting better to be fair. Cuphead and Ori are steps in the right direction. Though the phantom dust fiasco (if that kotaku story is true) means that they have not completely changed.

As divisive as it was, SF0's chart placement surprised me (especially its place at #5 in single SKU). But this does mean that the only time Platinum charts in the west is if they're handling well known game IPs.

Scalebound gotta go PC.

prwxv3

Ms really need to step their game up with smaller digital releases though. They are getting absolutley destroyed by Sony when it comes to getting these games.

Ploid 3.0

Gotta happen, Guerrilla is busy making a non FPS so its for Resistance comeback.

R2 Co-Op: PS4 Edition

Man I loved this mode, one of the most enjoyable FPS experiences I have had. Too bad it was fast to cap out on a particular class without any additional updates to give you something to do after.

Elios83

Btw it seems like Nintendo and Sony simply decided to not release an official PR commenting the monthly NPD results, which is a bit different from refusing to comment on hardware alone as initially suggested. Microsoft instead issued their PR but without saying anything on their sales, just on ''engagement'' :D
Even without a PR it was confirmed by Sony to a few websites asking it (IGN, Gamespot) that PS4 was the top selling console of the month.
At this point considering all the price cuts and promotions that Xbox One had without positive results I think that Microsoft should focus on launching a new improved box.
I don't know what their plans are, if they're going the way Sony is going (a mid gen upgrade to keep sales up + new form factor) or if they plan to simply slimline the current Xbox One and launch a whole new gen earlier maybe at the end of next year. But it's pretty clear that for the current Xbox One it will be really hard to achieve any kind of growth.

AmyS

Its pretty obvious they are waiting for a big Uncharted 4 PR Splash probably next Tuesday when they can say "Uncharted 4 first week sales................" and then they will mention PS4 sales, upcoming E3 hype. I just expect they are going to have a pretty big PR statement when Uncharted 4 has been on the block a week or so..

Oh yeah I think you're right, that makes a lot of sense. Looking forward to it, whenever they issue a nice PR statement.

Sayers

People lost their shit when Halo 5 turned out to have sold less than a million. One way to calm down was to over-inflate the digital sales. One user claimed he was the only one out of 9 friends to have bought it retail (the rest were digital)

Or to put it in other words~

QXAFNK8.gif

This is incredible

So wait a second. Given the lack of YoY brags in the MS PR does this mean the XB1 was actually down YoY despite having a $50 discount promotion and a Gamestop trade in promotion? Cause wow if true. That would be an absolutely terrible position for MS. It'd basically mean demand for the system has fallen off a cliff.

Well, the lack of Sony PR implies that the PS4 is either down or flat YOY. Considering it sold less than the XB1 last April, the XB1 is down YOY if the former is true.

EdgeXL

Man it's really disheartening seeing a game you love (Quantum Break) fucking bomb. The game should be in the top 3 of this month's NPD. =/ Loved the game from top to bottom, and I hope Microsoft just goes "Don't care, announcing Alan Wake 2 and Quantum Break DLC this E3 anyway".

Holy crap, man. I don't think #7 on the monthly NPD chart is a bomb. If it hadn't charted at all I could see the pessimism but really, it is not as if April is a huge month for game sales in the USA.

Holy crap, man. I don't think #7 on the monthly NPD chart is a bomb. If it hadn't charted at all I could see the pessimism but really, it is not as if April is a huge month for game sales in the USA.

Given what you wrote, isn't that precisely the reason the poster is considering it a bomb?

April isn't a huge month for game sales and QB is still at #7.

Personally, it would be a dissapointment if QB only ended up pulling around Alan Wake numbers.

Deadbeat

Banned
Just because its number 7 doesnt mean its sales numbers were even good.

I hope someone drops a hint as to the number it got.

watdaeff4

Thus the detractors would argue it should have been even higher.

It's unlikely to make much profit so in that sense it is a bomb

It wound up about where I thought it would personally.

GKFinns

Yeah. I don't think bomb is the right word. Disappointment is more apt I believe. Launching as a massively hyped new IP that's been around and promoted since the launch of the Xbox? From a beloved developer in a genre that tends to do well, featuring third person gameplay that typically does well on the Xbox? And it sold (by all signs) significantly less than a budget reboot of a mascot platformer that had definitely seen its better days?

I think it's silly to believe MS isn't bummed it didn't do better, especially in a month filled with lower price points, gift card promotions, and bundles.

EdgeXL

Just because its number 7 doesnt mean its sales numbers were even good.

I hope someone drops a hint as to the number it got.

It doesn't necessarily mean they were bad either. We would need to know what the other games sold. For all we know there could be less than 100k between Quantum Break and Ratchet & Clank.

prwxv3

It doesn't necessarily mean they were bad either. We would need to know what the other games sold. For all we know there could be less than 100k between Quantum Break and Ratchet & Clank.

Ratchet and Clank was likely significantly cheaper then QB to develope and advertise.

EdgeXL

Yeah. I don't think bomb is the right word. Disappointment is more apt I believe. Launching as a massively hyped new IP that's been around and promoted since the launch of the Xbox? From a beloved developer in a genre that tends to do well, featuring third person gameplay that typically does well on the Xbox? And it sold (by all signs) significantly less than a budget reboot of a mascot platformer that had definitely seen its better days?

I think it's silly to believe MS isn't bummed it didn't do better, especially in a month filled with lower price points, gift card promotions, and bundles.

I wouldn't be surprised if digital sales were over 25% on this one since that had the free Windows 10 code. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying digital was the dominant media type nor am I trying to exaggerate its impact. I just feel with promos like this tied exclusively to digital versions we won't really know what sales numbers are really like.

I wouldn't be surprised if digital sales were over 25% on this one since that had the free Windows 10 code. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying digital was the dominant media type nor am I trying to exaggerate its impact. I just feel with promos like this tied exclusively to digital versions we won't really know what sales numbers are really like.

There's also a belief that Ratchet and Clank had a higher than expected digital attach ratio because the game was sold out in stores, the game's popularity was not expected.

If they were any good MS would be shouting it from the rooftops.

Purest 78

The Order Charted Yet that didn't do so hot.

QB has been the poster boy of the xbox one since the day they revealed the console. I think its safe to say MS had high hopes for it.

Top Bottom