• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2007

Busaiku

I'm actually thinking Madden had more of an impact on 360's sales more than the price drop did. Sure it was a major factor, but seeing those huge Madden sales is just crazy.

Phthisis said:
More importantly, no console is ever going to be the "next PS2" without having the highest-selling version of Madden, IMO.

Madden as a franchise is an integral keystone to being that "something for everyone" system a la PS2.
Looks like the Wii will be tge first then.

pswii60

felipeko said:
Wii Sports > Madden.
If Wii can't be "next PS2" no one will. :)

And Wii have Madden (something for everyone), the people just choose not to buy :(

Gamecube also had Madden. And N64.

Sharp

Wow, NPD is being amazingly awesome today. I can't believe they gave us so many numbers so promptly.

Also, as a note to everyone, please don't bet anything significant on the PS3 becoming market leader in Japan.

Eric WK

pswii60 said:
True. BD has had mediocre reviews and Dragon Quest has never sold too well in the West either.

I think even Eternal Sonata will do better, and Lost Odyssey far better.

I think you're dead on with this. Lost Odyssey will do really, really well here.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Sharp said:
Wow, NPD is being amazingly awesome today. I can't believe they gave us so many numbers so promptly.

Also, as a note to everyone, please don't bet anything significant on the PS3 becoming market leader in Japan.

Shh.....

It makes things more interesting.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Tzeentch said:
cobra_small.gif

AWESOME!

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
radioheadrule83 said:
The fact that people are still buying and playing Wii Sports may actually be part of the problem.

Well in America Wii-Sports is packed in with the Wii system. I think it is only Japan that has to bu the two separately.

jonabbey

Shepherd said:
Do you think the PS3 will outsell the 360 at $399?

I think that's very unlikely. If Paramount and Dreamworks hadn't ditched Blu-Ray, the next-gen DVD market might have tipped entirely, which would have given the PS3 wings, but without that, I don't see it happening anytime soon.

I think PS3 at $399 with a good Blu-Ray movie pack-in, some AAA games, and some heavy advertising will keep it going in respectable fashion, but I don't think anything that we've heard about yet will bring it ahead of 360 in any given month.

One thing the PS3 may benefit from is the raw power under the hood. 25 million people bought the XBox even though it didn't have the leading console benefits that the PS2 had, and they bought it largely because it was the more powerful system and could host games that PS2 couldn't do as well. If Sony can actually find some games that just can't be had on 360, either in style or in quality, they will keep themselves alive, even if they never get the market to tip their way.

Uncharted, Killzone, Little Big Planet are the only things I've seen so far that have that potential. Possibly Burnout: Paradise.

Ether_Snake said:
I was talking about the Japanese market.

Wii sales can't keep on being that strong for much longer. When the mentioned games are out (RE5, FFXIII, MGS4, Monster Hunter 3, GT5, etc.) the PS3 will swallow up all PS2 sales and the by that time the Wii will have what? Those Japanese gamers are not buying PS3s because it has NOTHING being released for it now, but that doesn't mean that suddenly they don't care about the games I mentioned above. Those games are just not out yet. I'm 100% sure the PS3 will be the leading home console in Japan once the big games above are released. It doesn't have much competition in that department and like I said it's not like Japanese gamers have turned their backs on their former favorites.

In the US tho, obviously the 360 will sell more copies of the above games that are also being released for it. But the PS3 will be closer to the 360 when those games are finally out for it. So that + it's likely position in Japan = not too bad, but certainly a defeat in the US.

The DS is the only console that has probably settled its position for now and ever, only to be replaced by its successor when it comes. Nothing will surpass it.

Just wait until Heavenly Sword comes out! There will be no competition for the PS3!!!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Lobster said:
No competetion? Zelda,Wii Play and the heap of crappy 3rd party support? Had heaps of competetion, especially from Zelda and Wii Play.

That's not competition. Those games are completely different, and it's not like it was "one game or bust!". It was the fricking holiday season:p

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
MobiusPigeon said:
they've already created a different market. gimme a fn break. how can you say stuff like this when wii fit will probably see a bigger push than mario?

It's not an either or proposition. Nintendo wants to capture EVERYONE, non-gamers, lapsed gamers, hardcore gamers- everyone.

pilonv1

:lol :lol :lol @ That Metroid Prime 3 outselling Bioshock thread. Even more proof people shouldn't trust that banned site.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Hey felipeko ...I have an idea..I think you should bet Ether Snake a permaban anything relating to Sony and Japan sales.

This is your best chance for survival!!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
*looks at his PS3*

You know, it's a damn good thing Sony packed in everything they did with the PS3. I've grown to love Blu Ray and upscaled DVD movies/PS1-2 games. Otherwise, this thing is looking like toast here soon.

Phthisis

felipeko said:
If Wii can't be "next PS2" no one will. :)

My inclination is that this will happen. The Wii is such a disruptive factor in the market that this generation will not see any console similar to the PS2.

I'm just saying. The first and most important step to making a console the "next PS2" is the success of the Madden franchise on that particular machine.

Incidentally, your opinion that "Wii Sports > Madden" has no bearing on that point.

jonabbey

Kintaro said:
*looks at his PS3*

You know, it's a damn good thing Sony packed in everything they did with the PS3. I've grown to love Blu Ray and upscaled DVD movies/PS1-2 games. Otherwise, this thing is looking like toast here soon.

I wouldn't go that far.

Lobster

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
That's not competition. Those games are completely different, and it's not like it was "one game or bust!". It was the fricking holiday season:p

If I understand correctly alot of Wii games should be million sellers by now..Monkey Ball was a completely different game..So was Elebits..they didn't sell well. Its all about advertising.

Evlar

Banned
tetrisgrammaton said:
lol i guess thats obvious

metroid sales not bad for 4 days including no weekend
It's actually just coincidental. The reporting periods don't normally end on the first of the month.

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
jonabbey said:
Uncharted, Killzone, Little Big Planet are the only things I've seen so far that have that potential. Possibly Burnout: Paradise.

Burnout paradise is also going to 360, so how will this push the PS3?

Tzeentch

Kasumi1970 said:
Lead SKU on PS3, which based on the 1UP podcast has some neat features not found on 360. I doubt it will drive console sales though since the differences don't seem to be major.

jonabbey

Kasumi1970 said:

The PS3 is the lead platform, and they are reportedly pushing the platform pretty hard. I'm sure the 360 will still sell more, given the install base, but if the PS3 version is qualitatively different, it might entice a few more people over amongst the general hubabaloo.

Phthisis said:
My inclination is that this will happen. The Wii is such a disruptive factor in the market that this generation will not see any console similar to the PS2.

I'm just saying. The first and most important step to making a console the "next PS2" is the success of the Madden franchise on that particular machine.

Incidentally, your opinion that "Wii Sports > Madden" has no bearing on that point.
The Wii will not be the PS2 because it has the potential to become even bigger.

It is the fastest selling console at this very moment.

Again, Madden didnt matter to the Wii this month and likely never will.

Top Bottom