• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2007

Loudninja

BenjaminBirdie said:
It's really not that dumb. Someone posted the other day how much better the GameCube did in the same timeframe than the PS3 is doing now.

Who cares?What does that have to do with the PS3? why do people base a console on how another one did? How stupid is that?

beef3483

Once again, the same meme is still spreading about. People trashing Wiis third party sales while not naming any third party game they actually want.

This thread is rife with hypocrisy.

Busaiku said:
I'm actually thinking Madden had more of an impact on 360's sales more than the price drop did. Sure it was a major factor, but seeing those huge Madden sales is just crazy.
I'm going to team up with those that ignore both Madden (though, as a non-sports gamer, I found the demo quite good) and the price drop, and claim that the stellar 360 sales are a result of BioShock. MS, you owe Irrational/2K whatever a bowl of cherries. Assuming this BioShock-as-360-savior-of-summer-2007 team has formed somewhere in this massively (unread) thread. Incredible sales. September should be another good month for the 360; let's see if this limb holds ; )

A big "What?" to Sony not converting those PS2 Madden purchasers to the PS3. There are many reasonable answers why this hasn't happened, but still, it hasn't happened. Although, given the userbase, the Madden PS3 sales are quite good. LittleBigPlanet, maybe you come sooner, yeah? Jus' maybe <shrugs>?

And a toast to the Wii. Holy sh-t! Maybe Zak & Wiki have a fighting chance with a large userbase and a $40 price tag.

now what i'm wondering about is what rockstar thinks about these numbers. if GTA4 was realy near complete for 360 and the ps3 version held it back, after seeing madden and the 360 hardware increase what will they do?

J-Rzez

Sony has to get that price to $399.99 or lower ASAP... They also have to get the games out ASAP... They need to have one hell of a showing at TGS... AND, they have to give enough reason for PS2 owners, and apparently people still buying a shit-ton of them to move on...

They'll do well this holiday with familiar titles like Rachet, GT, Unreal, and especially if the magical word SOCOM PS3 makes it out as well... They'll do way better if they scramble down that fucking price tag to the 4bills or less mark... Then, once again, they need to start showing off the big guns for 08... They need to advertise like crazy with commercials sporting anything FF, MGS, and show off god damn Killzone... You know how many people still say "why isn't Sony showing off KZ yet? They can't hit that mark?", only to retract everything when they actually look it up on the net finally and say it's the most incredible game they've seen? (that and GT)...

Sysgen said:
Not understanding.

Trust me, don't waste the brain power on it... It's really not worth the time to ponder the levels of stupidity breached...

Tzeentch said:
cobra_small.gif
Awesome.

Evlar

Banned
pooteeweet said:
Finally caught up.

sonycowboy
Can you you clarify whether the Bioshock numbers includes the CE, and if not is it possible to provide them? Thanks in advance.
If I remember correctly NPD always sums up multiple SKUs for the same software and hardware. In other words, yes.

dude

dude
Ether_Snake said:
I was talking about the Japanese market.

Wii sales can't keep on being that strong for much longer. When the mentioned games are out (RE5, FFXIII, MGS4, Monster Hunter 3, GT5, etc.) the PS3 will swallow up all PS2 sales and the by that time the Wii will have what? Those Japanese gamers are not buying PS3s because it has NOTHING being released for it now, but that doesn't mean that suddenly they don't care about the games I mentioned above. Those games are just not out yet. I'm 100% sure the PS3 will be the leading home console in Japan once the big games above are released. It doesn't have much competition in that department and like I said it's not like Japanese gamers have turned their backs on their former favorites.

In the US tho, obviously the 360 will sell more copies of the above games that are also being released for it. But the PS3 will be closer to the 360 when those games are finally out for it. So that + it's likely position in Japan = not too bad, but certainly a defeat in the US.

The DS is the only console that has probably settled its position for now and ever, only to be replaced by its successor when it comes. Nothing will surpass it.

I really want this to be a joke post...

Retrofluxed

beef3483 said:
Once again, the same meme is still spreading about. People trashing Wiis third party sales while not naming any third party game they actually want.

Hush you, they are running out of straw men arguments to discredit the Wii. Let them have this one. :D

traveler

Not Wario
beef3483 said:

That's cause there haven't been third party games on the Wii that we do want! :lol

Phthisis

Sysgen said:
Not understanding.

Are you surprised? This is the same person who thinks that the group of people who buy every year's highest selling video game hold no influence over the sway of the industry.

Loudninja said:
Who cares?What does that have to do with the PS3? why do people base a console on how another one did? How stupid is that?

What's that thing about those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it? Or something? It's precedent. It's not stupid. Obviously it isn't going to shrink into a purple box with a handle on it, but it seems all too clear now that it's preferential support is going to keep dwindling. Even now, before developers even had a shred of this kind of evidence, we see, to this day, multiplatform games for the PS3 getting delayed, looking "just the same" as the version on less powerful hardware. What a month like this does is confirm that this is going to just keep happening. Sony needs to give those third parties incentive to change that trend.

And all the analysts views of Halo's performance ALREADY, makes me think that Sony is not going to have a chance to do that.

stewacide

Sharp said:
I have no idea what you're talking about. Really.

Madden is a hugely popular game with people that like football. If that's the "angry white male" demographic then it's pretty damn big.

No doubt football fans are hugely diverse, but I don't think the stereotype of the core football audience is too far off.

Similarly, these numbers speak for themselves: Wii and Madden are selling to largely distinct audiences (i.e. with relatively little overlap). I suspect we'll see the same relatively poor sales from the usual pro wrestling, NASCAR, Def-Jam, mee-too shooter/sandbox game that appeals to that same audience.

Jammy

Banned
beef3483 said:

It's really funny, especially seeing PS3 games perform how they're doing now too.

People seem to excuse Warhawk, Resistance, Motorstorm, etc. on PS3, but they're just as first party as Wii Play, Mario Party 8, and Wario Ware: SM have been.

We've already seen nice third party sales from Red Steel, RE4: Wii Edition, Madden, etc. I'd really like to see the top-selling Wii third party games compared to PS3's.

Odysseus

Banned
any chance of getting a descending-order list of million sellers by platform? doesn't even have to have numbers. come on, driley, hook a forum up.

Phthisis said:
Are you surprised? This is the same person who thinks that the group of people who buy every year's highest selling video game hold no influence over the sway of the industry.
Wii had the lowest selling version yet the Wii is the top selling console for a second month in a row. Madden clearly don't have as much pull as much as people think.

DaMan121

Threi said:
I doubt it unless Capcom advertises it.

See, I think Nintendo can build up a lot of good will if it helped Capcom push this game. If Z&W does well, it will mean more for Nintendo and the Wii than Capcom imo. Hopefully it becomes a Viewtifull Joe type cult-hit :/

Culex

Banned
Goddamn! Wii at over 400k for two straight months and it's not even the holiday season yet. I shudder at what November/December will bring.

_Angelus_

Banned
Is this the first time PSP has sold more than PS3 in any month in the U.S.? I don't even pay attention to npd but this little chart is crazy. PS3 is in trouble if the damn PSP is out selling it,geez.

Good numbers for the 360,one has to wonder how much better they would be if Microsoft wanted to win the console war though. I think all they're concerned with is Sony and protecting their Windows market. And pulling off a profit from here on out in the console market,which they should be doing pretty soon,right?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
jonabbey said:
The PS3 is the lead platform, and they are reportedly pushing the platform pretty hard. I'm sure the 360 will still sell more, given the install base, but if the PS3 version is qualitatively different, it might entice a few more people over amongst the general hubabaloo.

But it won't do anything for the PS3 and it's probably the last time EA does anything "special" for the PS3.

beef3483

traveler said:
That's cause there haven't been third party games on the Wii that we do want! :lol

And to who's fault does this lie? Definately not Nintendo. Nor the consumers. The Wii third party sales argument is inherently flawed if you can't name a game that you would want to purchase.

Bad games shouldn't sell. It's the third parties fault for not creating compelling software. Isn't the Wii version of Madden widely regarded as the worst version of the three? There aren't bad sales just because it's on a Nintendo console.

Edit: Moreover, I find it highly ironic that a game that was widely regarded as the supreme "casual game" is now being used as an argument against Nintendo.

Lobster

Banned
DaMan121 said:
See, I think Nintendo can build up a lot of good will if it helped Capcom push this game. If Z&W does well, it will mean more for Nintendo and the Wii than Capcom imo. Hopefully it becomes a Viewtifull Joe type cult-hit :/

Why should Nintendo try to help 3rd parties when they're not exactly helping Nintendos image. 3rd parties have the money to advertise games and its their job to make sure the games a success. Not Nintendos.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Flo_Evans said:
damn. I am gonna get drunk and beat my PS3 when I get home.
:lol - I found that really funny.

Odysseus

Banned
Angelus said:
Is this the first time PSP has sold more than PS3 in any month in the U.S.? I don't even pay attention to npd but this little chart is crazy. PS3 is in trouble if the damn PSP is out selling it,geez.

no, it's certainly not the first month. in fact, i don't think psp has ever not sold more.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Ether_Snake said:
Ok to those who were saying I was wrong about Japanese games selling PS3s here, here is the deal:

Ratchet, Uncharted, and Killzone won't do shit to bring the PS3 ahead of the 360, they won't move a lot of systems to begin with, that's for sure.

There are currently a LOT of PS2-only owners that have yet to buy a PS3 (like me). Why? Because the games they like have been on PS2 and PSP only, and the ones to come on PS3 are too far from release yet.

To name a few:

Ace Combat
Resident Evil
Devil May Cry
Final Fantasy
Metal Gear Solid
Grand Turismo
A bunch of random RPGs like Nippon Ichi's, etc.
Some Dynasty Warrior games.
Shadow of the Colossus-like game
And more.

Basically, the PS3 doesn't feel like a successor to the PS2 when you look at its current lineup or its soon-to-be-released games, so a strong part of its hardcore userbase hasn't made the jump to PS3, and as the time passes the 360 is starting to look more and more like the PS2's successor lineup-wise (with many of the above to be released on it, add to this Dead Rising and Lost Planet, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, etc.).

So yes, if the PS3 had a much more Japan-oriented lineup with former PS2 big-names being released for it now, exclusively in at least a few cases, it would have made a huge difference. The camp would have remained divided as they were last gen, with the MS brand being mostly Western/PC games and the PS brand with mostly Japanese games (then add sports games to both consoles).

Sony made a huge mistake by not trying to keep at least the Japanese exclusives for its console.

I can't imagine how awful it will do this holiday compared to the 360/Wii, they have NOTHING for it.
I agree with this post. The 360 looks like a spiritual sucessor to the PS2 (more like a mix of some of the PS2 and the best of the Xbox), and Sony made a huge mistake by losing the monopoly of huge japanese exclusives.

Sysgen said:
Not understanding.

Third parties not taking the Wii seriously means that the potential Wii software sales all go to Nintendo. The 360 is not even dominating as much as the PS2 becausr of the Wii, and this consequently means that Nintendo's software takes a much larger, if not the largest, share of the pie.

Tzeentch

J-Rzez said:
They need to advertise like crazy with commercials sporting anything FF, MGS, and show off god damn Killzone... You know how many people still say "why isn't Sony showing off KZ yet? They can't hit that mark?", only to retract everything when they actually look it up on the net finally and say it's the most incredible game they've seen? (that and GT)...
The current PS3 marketing direction boggles my mind - these exclusives are GREAT EXCLUSIVES and yet they don't push them into people's minds. A trifecta of MGS (action), FF (RPG), and GT (sports/driving) would be good. They need to counter the good word of mouth and success of games like Bioshock and Gears of War in the enthusiast community.

Angelus said:

I think the PSP has always been outselling the PS3.

bigmakstudios said:
No, it's Twilight Princess iirc.
Wii Play can't be too far off, though.

Tzeentch said:
They need to advertise like crazy with commercials sporting anything FF, MGS, and show off god damn Killzone... You know how many people still say "why isn't Sony showing off KZ yet? They can't hit that mark?", only to retract everything when they actually look it up on the net finally and say it's the most incredible game they've seen? (that and GT)...
The current PS3 marketing direction boggles my mind - these exclusives are GREAT EXCLUSIVES and yet they don't push them into people's minds. A trifecta of MGS (action), FF (RPG), and GT (sports/driving) would be good. They need to counter the good word of mouth and success of games like Bioshock and Gears of War in the enthusiast community.

You can't expect the same excitement for games that are out and available for ones that are not. How is that hard to grasp when the market hammers this truth home month after month after month after month?

traveler

Not Wario
beef3483 said:
And to who's fault does this lie? Definately not Nintendo. Nor the consumers. The Wii third party sales argument is inherently flawed if you can't name a game that you would want to purchase.

Bad games shouldn't sell. It's the third parties fault for not creating compelling software. Isn't the Wii version of Madden widely regarded as the worst version of the three? There aren't bad sales just because it's a Nintendo product.

I didn't say it was Nintendo's fault, but since when does lack of quality validate or invalidate a sales argument? Me not being able to name a third party Wii game I want has nothing to do with whether the games should sell or not. Shit sells; quality fails. If quality determined the numbers, why didn't Okami and Viva Pinata rule the charts last year and Wii Play bomb horribly earlier this year?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Ether_Snake said:
But it won't do anything for the PS3 and it's probably the last time EA does anything "special" for the PS3.

Alex Ward is a PS fanboy, that is why he leads on PS3 with Burnout

Lobster said:
Why should Nintendo try to help 3rd parties when they're not exactly helping Nintendos image. 3rd parties have the money to advertise games and its their job to make sure the games a success. Not Nintendos.

capcom is definitely helping nintendo's image

Go PSdouble, go!

Awesome to see Madden PS2 kicking ass too, even if I'll never touch that shit.

Sony needs to cut the PS3 another hundred or two. They're just handing current gen to MS.

Top Bottom