• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2014 [Up4: PS4 #1, XB1 last week sales 2x last Jul week]

Fdkn

digital only games weren't a prominent thing on the early years of ps360, and let's not even talk about "free" games from ps+/gold.

People may be buying less retail games that back then, but I'm sure they have actually more games to play nowadays.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
To the contrary, the only one of those that is big is Halo. Forza Horizon didn't do anywhere near as well as a mainline Forza entry, and Sunset Overdrive is a complete unknown at this point. Like others here I think a GTA5 PS4 bundle would kill anything Microsoft can pull out of its hat dead.

Don't be surprised if DriveClub does better than Forza Horizon 2 and/or Sunset Overdrive either.

I agree with everything except the Driveclub part. I predict retail sales will be abysmal chiefly due to the PS+ edition.

wigwag85

Banned
Are you replying from your alt account or just fellow poster with similar concern?

And again, what are YOU going to do about it? What do you want us to do about it?

Considering that I'm the CEO of Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony, I have a few tricks up my sleeve to solve this problem...

scoobs

What does Sony have coming out this Holiday? It's really not that much of a jump to think Xbox One could do better than the PS4 for Q4. Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 2, and Halo: The Master Chief Collection. That's a baller line-up no matter what side of the fence you're on. There are only so many people interested in gaming consoles and at some point, the number of PS4 buyers will peak where you could argue that the Xbox One market hasn't been completely tapped. Of course, a lot of this is my own opinion and speculation, but there is no speculating on which platform has the better holiday line-up right now.
So, you think the PS4 having sold 10 million consoles... has tapped its selling potential? I seem to recall the PS2 selling 120 million, and the PS3 selling 80 million. But you know.. the PS4, being the fastest selling console of all time, is tapped out at 10 million. Flawless logic.

Sony has a bunch of huge third party games that will likely sell better on their platform (GTAV, Far Cry 4, Assassin's Creed, Middle Earth, Madden, Destiny, FIFA), and Driveclub (not sure anyone cares about this game but hey, its something).

I don't see how you could possibly think they won't sell a shit ton of consoles in Q4.

blakep267

As always you would have to define craters because there's middling sales and then there's things like TW101 and Tearaway

pretty much. I think they(MS) would be happy if SO sells 1.5 isn WW(unbundled). Its a new IP on a system that probably will have just shy of 6 million units out there

but of course people will continue to move goal posts and consider that a flop.

Also I don't see Driveclub selling that well. For the sole fact that for the non hardcore racing fan, its essentially a free pared down version on ps+. Look at it like a ftp game. How many consumers actually spend money to get more tracks and cars, especially $50-$60,

Would you say the holidays will be very interesting?

Why do you say that?

what? I don't even... what?

You'd make a great analyst, you should see if you can intern with Pachter.

If this isn't sarcasm then what makes you think this way? Sony does have LBP3 as well.

I really want to get an Xbox One just for MCC and possibly Sunset Overdrive. It really boils down to what the deals are on Black Friday. If I can get the SSO bundle for $349 or $399 with a $50 gift card then it's an instant purchase for me.

If not, then I guess I can just settle to play MCC on systems owned by friends and family members. But I am really wondering how SSO will do. Even though I am a huge Halo fan a single game (well ok it's a collection of three excellent games and a disappointment) doesn't really justify a $399 purchase for me.

In terms of exclusives in 2015 Sony is WAY ahead of MS for me. Bloodborne and Uncharted 4 are from two of my favorite developers ever. Meanwhile at MS, Halo 5 sounds good so far but 343 have a lot to prove. Quantum Break isn't really doing anything for me personally, I do not like the direction Fable Legends is going in at all, and I'm not a big Tomb Raider fan and am disappointed that ROTTR is cross gen.

As for the mainstream market and overall sales, I am very curious as to how
much the MCC will sell and how much it will actually boost Xbox One sales.

jIDPmzo.gif

Nice one. LOL

I honestly can't tell if you're trolling or delusional

Can yall tell me why it wont? Looking at the sales it looks like its closing a gap. Not overall but just for the holidays. If it dont its gonna be real close. Closer than now for sure.

digital only games weren't a prominent thing on the early years of ps360, and let's not even talk about "free" games from ps+/gold.

People may be buying less retail games that back then, but I'm sure they have actually more games to play nowadays.

If Ubisofts sales are representative of other publishers, digital only accounts for around 10% of console software sales.

uhhh..what?

ps4 also has bloodborne + the order in a couple of months after holiday, and xbone doesn't have anything.

lol @ ps4 peak and xbone untapped. you do know they're competing for the same consumers, no?
That's why I said Q4. And yes, I do. It's not out of the question to think that some people will buy both consoles. Just by the shear number of people with a PS4, it's not unreasonable to think at some point the numbers will drop while the X1 numbers will increase.

EDIT:
Can yall tell me why it wont? Looking at the sales it looks like its closing a gap. Not overall but just for the holidays. If it dont its gonna be real close. Closer than now for sure.
You can't say anything positive about the X1. It will never sell well because it's complete trash. lol.

The game has basically saturated the current userbase and has reached the limits of what it's going to increase hardware and hardware rate by.

How many people who have a Wii U and want Mario Kart haven't bought it by now? How many who don't have a Wii U and want Mario Kart haven't bought it by last month.

vpance

pretty much. I think they(MS) would be happy if SO sells 1.5 isn WW(unbundled). Its a new IP on a system that probably will have just shy of 6 million units out there

but of course people will continue to move goal posts and consider that a flop.

SO exists on the chalkboard man.

When GTA V for the old consoles has better legs than MK8 this month, that's when you KNOW MK8 legs are disappointing.

Seriously, I wasn't expecting otherwise. The people that made MK such a massive success which such massive legs aren't there, they are now making Clash of Clans a constant success for months.

wigwag85

Banned
When GTA V for the old consoles has better legs than MK8 this month, that's when you KNOW MK8 legs are disappointing.

Well, there's very few Wii Us out there compared with PS360s, so it's not too surprising. MK 8 sold to something like a third of the user base already, hasn't it?

Fdkn

If Ubisofts sales are representative of other publishers, digital only accounts for around 10% of console software sales.

I'm not talking about digital versions of retail games, that are indeed estimated to be 10% of the total sales of those games

I'm talking about all those games that don't get released on retail. Things like transistor, resogun, abe's remake, first light.. and the freebies from subscriptions.

The retail attach rate has to be lower because we're getting games from other ways, that also tend to be cheaper.

Replicant

Look at their release schedules.
Look at their pricing.

Pricing is driven by (big) budget which I mentioned. Release date can certainly be improved. But apart from helping existing customers to balance their budget, how'd that attract new customers?

Flying a bunch of games journalists to Paris and giving them all Nexus Ones gets you good previews in the enthusiast press.

The only people who read the enthusiast press are the people contributing to the contraction.

That's not the kind if marketing I was talking about and can certainly be culled. But let's be real, advertising is still important to make your target market aware. Even if it's just through social media.

Considering that I'm the CEO of Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony, I have a few tricks up my sleeve to solve this problem...

So you care but not really caring enough other than whining about it in msg board. Got it!

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
GTA V sold more than 66K copies? I'm guessing that's 2 versions combined, though.

I'm confused though. Why is this surprising Aqua? GTAV was selling ~100K fairly regularly in the early months of the year right? I can't say it's a fair comparison imo... For one, I think it'll be interesting to see how many families with kids buy a Wii U this holiday. Secondly, I'm curious how Hyrule Warriors & Bayonetta 2 will do. If Hyrule can outsell WWHD's opening, I'd say that'd be a start (it was close to 100K opening month w/ bundles right)?

AniHawk

So, you think the PS4 having sold 10 million consoles... has tapped its selling potential? I seem to recall the PS2 selling 120 million, and the PS3 selling 80 million. But you know.. the PS4, being the fastest selling console of all time, is tapped out at 10 million. Flawless logic.

ps2 sold 155m units. kind of besides the point, but worth mentioning since it's so unlikely to ever happen again.

the problem with the ps4 isn't that it's tapped out - it's that it experienced extremely frontloaded sales. even when the wii and ps2 reached the point where the ps4 ltd is right now, they were still selling up to double and more what the current market leader is doing. so the trajectory of the system over the next couple of years can't be based on the first very successful months, but more likely the more recent mediocre ones. will the ps4 hit 80m in five years? can it sell 14m a year until then? it's possible, but i don't know where those sales are going to be coming from.

How many people who have a Wii U and want Mario Kart haven't bought it by now? How many who don't have a Wii U and want Mario Kart haven't bought it by last month.

A fairly large portion of Nintendos demographics are those who do not have their own disposable income and obtain their consoles and games as presents, which is why Nintendo traditionally does very well in the holidays.

scoobs

Multiplats will drive PS4 sales more than any of their holiday exclusives

Same for Wii U and in my opinion same for XB1

Not sure about Wii U... they're mostly going to rely on Mario Kart to sell units this Christmas I'd guess. Multiplats are always the biggest sellers during the Holiday season. Madden, FIFA, NBA, Destiny, Far Cry, etc are gonna be on a lot of kids' christmas lists.

I'm confused though. Why is this surprising Aqua? GTAV was selling ~100K fairly regularly in the early months of the year right? I can't say it's a fair comparison imo...

I had high expectations for MK8 legs. I was particularly disappointed with MK8's performance this month.

GTA V legs should be the baseline for an IP with such pull as MK8.

For example, Mario Kart: Double Dash sold 81.2K copies at the equivalent release month.

Mario Kart 8 is underperforming compared to Double Dash...that's a problem.

scoobs

ps2 sold 155m units. kind of besides the point, but worth mentioning since it's so unlikely to ever happen again.

the problem with the ps4 isn't that it's tapped out - it's that it experienced extremely frontloaded sales. even when the wii and ps2 reached the point where the ps4 ltd is right now, they were still selling up to double and more what the current market leader is doing. so the trajectory of the system over the next couple of years can't be based on the first very successful months, but more likely the more recent mediocre ones. will the ps4 hit 80m in five years? can it sell 14m a year until then? it's possible, but i don't know where those sales are going to be coming from.

They'll be coming from people who still have Wii's/360s/ps3s that want a new gen console for Christmas. Christmas is gonna be giant this year for both PS4 and XB1

sörine

Banned
Unless we have bundled SW numbers for PS4 and XB1 as well as previous systems that doesn't mean much of anything. All of the numbers provided were unbundled.
No, I'm saying Titanfall and Madden bundles don't cancel that out. Wii U has far more bundled software than Xbox One.

.....yikes the Wii U has had so many bundles this whole time?
this doesn't really make it look much better you know (also I'm sure by this logic we can add a decent chunk to the Xbox One)
Yes the white 8GB basic launch system was the only one with no game bundle. They sold something like 15% versus the black 32GB deluxe with Nintendo Land. In early summer 2013 they were delisted and recalled because they sold so badly.

For Wii U it's been;

Basic 8GB with nothing (launch)
Deluxe 32GB with Nintendo Land (launch)
Deluxe 32GB with ZombiU + Nintendo Land (spring 2013)
Deluxe 32GB with Wind Waker HD (fall 2013)
Basic 8GB with Skylanders Swap Force + Nintendo Land (fall 2013)
Deluxe 32GB with NSMBU + NSLU (holiday 2013)
Deluxe 32GB with Mario Kart 8 (spring 2014)

I-hate-u

And wow really LBP 3? I would not bank on that to support PS4 this holiday.

Despite a weak first party, Sony's strong marketing push of Destiny and Far Cry 4 will help push consoles. DriveClub/LBP3 are solid second purchase games imo, and are not made to be system sellers. I think Sony knows this.

In addition, nothing on Xbox side screams system seller either. If anything, Smash is the biggest exclusive of the fall on any console.

Hubble

A 30k sales cap between XO and PS4 is really marginal. I'm surprised it's that small in such a short time. Kudos to Phil Spencer for the quick turn around.

Despite a weak first party, Sony's strong marketing push of Destiny and Far Cry 4 will help push consoles. DriveClub/LBP3 are solid second purchase games imo, and are not made up to be system sellers. I think Sony knows this.

In addition, nothing on Xbox side screams system seller either. If anything, Smash is the biggest exclusive of the fall on any console.

Halo MCC, Sunset Overdrive, and Forza Horizon 2. It's pretty clear MS has the stronger games lineup this holiday. Destiny is on both consoles. I expect both to do well, and fyi Xbox One is selling at a faster rate than 360 at the same in its life.

blakep267

The PS+ edition is so gutted compared to the full game that it's hardly worth mentioning.

is it really though?

Besides the cars 10 out of 50, 11 tracks and all the game modes doesn't sound gutted to me.

Despite a weak first party, Sony's strong marketing push of Destiny and Far Cry 4 will help push consoles. DriveClub/LBP3 are solid second purchase games imo, and are not made to be system sellers. I think Sony knows this.

I mean, anecdotal yadda yadda yadda but I know of tons of people that are waiting out for a master chief collection bundle. that game with a $399 system i feel would definitely be a system seller ( yes I know that tons of halo fans already have the console, but there are still those people on the fence)

Ty4on

Thank you for the correction. I apologize.

No worries. I misread posts all the time and understand how a long chain of them is hard to keep track of.

I don't see gap closing in other than the small bump this month.

Edit: Sorry. Quick and dirty graph and I didn't see that the floor was 50k :(

AniHawk

They'll be coming from people who still have Wii's/360s/ps3s that want a new gen console for Christmas. Christmas is gonna be giant this year for both PS4 and XB1

that was the mantra for the ps3 for at least a year. maybe it came to fruition eventually but if it did it was extremely slow-going.

Mory Dunz

Some good information in these pages.

Ugh, Wii U and Mario Kart.

What was the attach rate. Did someone say 41%?

What's the highest attach rate for a bundled game that came out months after release?

Was getting to 50% doable? Or were more HW sales needed? Maybe DLC will have a bump.

Top Bottom