• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For December 2010 [Up5: Some Kinect/Move Data]

Ridley327

onipex said:
I think what the 360 is doing is eating up the PS3 base and/or its potential base.

On the software topic I think it is pretty great that Wii and Kinect software did well. Wii software did great actually with 3 Wii games making the top ten. I'm pretty sure that most of the sales for Michael Jackson The Experience are for the Wii version as well.
The MJ sales are almost entirely Wii sales, since the 360 and PS3 versions aren't hitting until March.

There could have been a surprising showing from the PSP version, I guess.

GeoramA

V_Ben said:
I think last guardian could be huge if marketed well. That creature could be huge with kids, make soft toys of the damn thing, get some promotion going everywhere. Make it super adorable :D
Oh god, don't let this happen.

Dabanton

V_Ben said:
I think last guardian could be huge if marketed well. That creature could be huge with kids, make soft toys of the damn thing, get some promotion going everywhere. Make it super adorable :D

This is Sony were talking about so we'll get a Kevin Butler Last Guardian Ad and then have Sony releasing it the same day as something like Arkham City.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Chris1964 said:
Three of the top five best-selling games of December play exclusively on Nintendo systems. These include Just Dance 2 from Ubisoft at No. 1, Donkey Kong Country Returns ™ : from Nintendo at No. 3 and Disney Epic Mickey from Disney Interactive Studios at No. 4. For all of 2010, 13 of the top 25 best-selling games play on Nintendo systems. This includes two of the top five; five of the top 10; and nine of the top 15.

http://www.pr-inside.com/nintendo-news-nintendo-emerges-with-r2353051.htm
With uDraw in the top ten, that means that four of the top ten were Wii exclusive, and none of them had Mario in the title.

apana

When I saw the Last Guardian trailer, I felt it was the first time video games had surpassed hollywood in terms of cinematic vision. Ueda-san is really on to something here, this may be a hit.

soldat7

Kifimbo said:
Happy for Spector his game found an audience. Even if it's not a great game (not even a good game according to some).

I'll preface this with a disclaimer: I haven't played Epic Mickey. That said, I find it odd to hear so many people 'happy' for Spector and 'glad' Epic Mickey sold well, despite the widespread opinion that it wasn't the bees knees. Are we happy when big names make mediocre games now, or just happy to see some third-party success on the Wii? I'm confused.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Celine said:
So Wii came out on top YTD again ( console-wise )

86b25ed52e3676b7cb7ee70f3daf2435.gif
And by a wider difference if you consider WW sales. Gap is still increasing.

ASIS

Road said:
2010:

NDS - 8.56 million
WII - 7.07 million
360 - 6.76 million
PS3 - 4.33 million

PS3 is 1k down from 2009 with the numbers we have. :lol
Stupis question but is this WorldWide or just US numbers?

tzare

Why For? said:
This is true.

Uncharted won't be that game. I think God of War is building towards it though. Either way, Sony needs their Halo/CoD/Mario, because the next Metal Gear Solid game is on 360 now.
yeah. I think even MGS is downhill now, like GT5 and most former Japanese hits.
Except for Mario, everything that sells well on home consoles comes from Western developers.

Btw, sony needs to improve timing. LBP2, KZ3, Socom all come now or further , and GT5 almost didn't make the holiday season.
god of War does well in US, but not so well in the rest of the world. However it does not play in the league where mario halo and cod play. It is just two levels below :D (gears of war would be level 2 :D )
In the US, that is.

Dabanton

soldat7 said:
I'll preface this with a disclaimer: I haven't played Epic Mickey. That said, I find it odd to hear so many people 'happy' for Spector and 'glad' Epic Mickey sold well, despite the widespread opinion that it wasn't the bees knees. Are we happy when big names make mediocre games now, or just happy to see some third-party success on the Wii? I'm confused.

I think some people are just happy to see third party success on the Wii...

V_Ben

Banned
Dabanton said:
This is Sony were talking about so we'll get a Kevin Butler Last Guardian Ad and then have Sony releasing it the same day as something like Arkham City.

I would hope that by Holiday 2011 they'd have retired Butler. I would hope that Sony is sensible enough to not put their game against the goddamn Batman though :lol

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
soldat7 said:

I've actually been enjoying the game quite a bit! Lots of fun, and hardly what I'd call mediocre.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6239328.html

I knew I'd read something about GT5's budget. Obviously they are still question about whether that includes marketing costs (the quotes make it sound like it didn't) but with 5.5 million already shipped Sony would be looking at a little over $10 return on each copy to break even. That's also not including anything made from the sales of GT5P.

So while it's definitely underperformed compared to the standard of the franchise, I don't think it'll be a financial failure for Sony.

Still it might be what they need to reign in Yamauchi. While this is purely my own conjecture I get the feeling that the series success so far has left Sony bankrolling his hobbies rather than him making the actual game.

Vinci

Danish
apana said:
When I saw the Last Guardian trailer, I felt it was the first time video games had surpassed hollywood in terms of cinematic vision. Ueda-san is really on to something here, this may be a hit.

He's always been onto something, but I wouldn't characterize what he's been onto as huge-seller status. Not that his other games failed to sell well, but his way of doing things doesn't really lend itself to the sort of sales that you seem to roughly, vaguely, in a round-about, sorta, kinda way of suggesting.

Road

user_nat said:
Did we even get solid PS3 numbers for October?
This is what I have:

Code:
JAN	276,900
FEB	360,100
MAR	313,900
APR	180,800
MAY	154,500
JUN	304,800
JUL	214,500
AGO	226,000
SEP	312,000
OCT	250,000
NOV	530,000
DEC	1,210,000

Vinci

Danish
soldat7 said:

I haven't even touched the game, but I'm happy to see Spector being reasonably successful. If the game has flaws, okay, hopefully he gets a chance at a round two to fix those. Or maybe he gets the chance to do something completely different. He's been responsible for some of the greatest games ever made, and it would be a shame if he were basically tossed out on his ass.

Megadragon15 said:
Wasn't 2007-2010 also supposed to be the "Year(s) of the Playstation 3"?

And technically, it's existed through all of those.

apana

Vinci said:
He's always been onto something, but I wouldn't characterize what he's been onto as huge-seller status. Not that his other games failed to sell well, but his way of doing things doesn't really lend itself to the sort of sales that you seem to roughly, vaguely, in a round-about, sorta, kinda way of suggesting.

I have never been one to believe that past=future. I wasn't trying to be vague, just thinking out loud.

P90

Cosmonaut X said:
That's a near-two-month-old news piece...

My bad. It was linked to the December NPD article in the LA Times. I didn't look at the date.

Apparently some, other than you, are quite the grouches. Even a junior member...

DMeisterJ

Banned
Karma said:
Not great since they spent most of the year $100 cheaper.

They spent the whole year 100 bucks cheaper, but the important months of the price cut are always the first ones, which were in 2009.

tzare

user_nat said:
600,000 is a pretty big number.
but being 3rd forever in the US, lagging from day one, with no real system sellers, higher price and againts 2 great rivals (unlike other generations) it is holding pretty well.
I think it is the right strategy, keep distance or loose as little as possible in US (considering they beat 360 in japan and Mainland europe mkaes their whole picture much better) and wait for the next generation to try to be competitive again XD

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
user_nat said:
600,000 is a pretty big number.

When you factor in the Kinect launch and slim and the half billion advertising campaign, and the fact the PS3 is more expensive, I think they did ok.

I expected DKCR to do well (a nearby Future Shop had giant ads plastered on its windows), but holy cow at Just Dance 2. Even Epic Mickey and MJ did pretty well.

GavinGT

Banned
Ultimoo said:
Not sure if serious...

It was intended as a slight against the Wii, but really it's just a stupid name for a store. I mean, do they only sell pre-orders for unannounced, next gen consoles?

starok

Banned
soldat7 said:

Some people are so butthurt about the whole wii third party fiasco that they'll take what they can.

antonz

VOOK said:
2.5 million DS owners gonna be pissed.
Heh thats why gamestop played it like a pro opening preorders for 3DS day after Christmas and not announcing they have until the 19th

Vinci said:
Depends on how much they get for trading it in towards a 3DS. ;)
75-100 at most. I traded in my spare DSi last week for 75 towards the 3DS. They normally givw 50 but it was a +50% if put towards hardware

Top Bottom