• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For December 2010 [Up5: Some Kinect/Move Data]

Zoe

Kinect Sports and Dance Central only sold a million each? I honestly expected a whole lot more.

Boney

Banned
DMeisterJ said:
Or, I'm just really trying to figure out what Kinect Sports/Dance Central/Halo: Reach/Epic Mickey have to do with GT5 sales...
Well for starters, people are buying those.

;)

duk

Banned
DMeisterJ said:
Or, I'm just really trying to figure out what Kinect Sports/Dance Central/Halo: Reach/Epic Mickey have to do with GT5 sales...

these customers chosed those games over GT5?

DMeisterJ said:
So what are we doing now? Just comparing random games that sold more than GT5 to it to make it look bad? Jesus Fucking Christ.

Maybe you should stop making excuses for these numbers?

Those games were brought up because they are all new IPs, and not only that, but two of them are games for a market that is only a few million people in size. This isn't Mario or COD or Halo. This is obscure shit. And they all outsold GT5.

I didn't even bring up NFS which has outsold GT5 quite convincingly to date.

Of course GT5's sales are impressive on their own, but not for GT5. This is not some middling IP we are talking about. This is the biggest thing Sony has. When you consider that it hasn't even sold a million units in the holiday period...well, what else can Sony do? GT5 is a big-budget as it gets and even that couldn't seem to appeal to the masses.

GT5 will probably end up selling somewhere around or over 5 million WW when it's all said and done, but it could and should have been so much more.

Shurs

Jtyettis said:
At 4.5M average between the mainlines before this I'd say it would be hard pressed to get anywhere close to that or half that with this start in the holiday.

Keep in mind that they shipped 1.25 million copies to North America and Latin American countries. They sold 960k in the US alone.

They sent 550k copies to Japan and sold 510k in two weeks.

They shipped a total of 5.5 million copies out worldwide, I don't think it's unreasonable to think they'll sell all those copies.

FrankT

DMeisterJ said:

Not whole lot besides the fact that one is very much an established brand while the others brand new IP that launched around it and performing better. This whole thread is dedicated to sales age and comparison. Nothing new.

Shurs said:
Keep in mind that they shipped 1.25 million copies to North America and Latin American countries. They sold 960k in the US alone.

They sent 550k copies to Japan and sold 510k in two weeks.

They shipped a total of 5.5 million copies out worldwide, I don't think it's unreasonable to think they'll sell all those copies.

Oh I think they can clear that shipment, but certainly wasn't making that comparison. That was directly a comparison of US sales now and going forward compared to the LTD of the mainline GTs before this.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I believe that Sony pointing to LBP2 while GT5 falls short of some expectations is a bit like the PR version of the infamous chalkboard graphic.

Perhaps its time we started filling in that second board...

MYE

John Harker said:
I loved it, and then the link died letting the youngins know it was about LOST, so then I hated it... I get largely ignored :lol But hey, at the end of the day, safer for my career that way I suppose :D

So wait. They are making a sequel to EM?

But, the JP, job description...

DarkPanda

FunkyPajamas said:
Without what Opiate just said (a strong software lineup) dropping the price to U$99 would just make it seem cheap (as in: less sofisticated) in comparison to Kinect and probably would hurt it more than help it. The near-impulse-buy price tag may offset that a bit, but I don't think a price drop without an aggressive marketing campaign and the titles to back it up would do much good. Nintendo is going to be focused on the 3DS this year anyway so I think they're not too worried about the Wii losing a bit of steam.

$99 is a little drastic, but I think a $150 price point would be a good idea before next Christmas. The Wii hasn't had a price drop in a while, plus with the 360 at price parity and the way that Kinect has taken off, Nintendo needs to do something besides bundles to maintain the sense of value it had when this gen began.

X26

Banned
Yea hard to argue GT5 underperformed. Constant delays and then a mediocre marketing effort leading up to the launch didn't help matters

Lots of lessons learned for PD one would hope going forward

legend166

This is amazing PR:

- PS3 was only console to have 32% increase in software sales YOY.

I'm not even sure what it means. But if it means what I think it means, it wins for most hilarious PR ever.

I wonder what odds I could have got for two 3rd party Wii exclusives selling more in December each than GT5 in November and December combined.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
"- PS3 was only console to have 32% increase in software sales YOY."

What does this even mean?

No other console had positive growth or no other console had exactly 32% growth?

imtehman

Banned
jvm said:
I believe that Sony pointing to LBP2 while GT5 falls short of some expectations is a bit like the PR version of the infamous chalkboard graphic.

Perhaps its time we started filling in that second board...

and it'll trickle down to the peons who will happily convey Sony's message

KingDizzi

Banned
So from the data we have:

Gran Turismo 5 shipped:

Japan-0.55
North and Latin America-1.25
Europe-3.56
Asia-0.16
Total-5.52

It's got through it's Japan shipment but probably won't get another, is not far off from finishing the NA shipment and no idea about EU besides it's well over 1.5 million by now. EU cuts so much fucking slack it's not even funny, this is a NPD thread however so still :lol :lol shite numbers.

Opiate

I'm not sure why this needs to be stated so often: GT5 is a success by gaming standards if we consider it a typical game. It's an enormous success, in fact, if it has already shipped 5.5M copies.

If the standard is the GT franchise, then the sales are, at least, underwhelming.
If the standard is "Sony's flagship franchise," then they are also underwhelming.
If the standard is profitability, then GT5 is unquestionably profitable, and likely profitable by a wide margin. Also good.

The problem with these arguments is that no one is precisely wrong about GT5: it's entirely possible for one person to say the sales are good while another says the sales are bad, as they're coming from two different perspectives.

Sometimes, some perspectives are not legitimate. For example, if GT5 sold 1M copies total, and you said, "well, that's more than any other racing sim on the PS3 that had a prologue has sold," I would consider that a flatly invalid perspective. If God of War 3 had sold 9 million copies and someone said, "that's not as good as Halo," that would be a flatly invalid perspective.

But in this case, I think there are several legitimate perspectives, and they don't allow for an absolute consensus of opinion. In some ways the game did relatively poorly. In other ways it did excellently.

To wit: GT5 is a game that sold extremely well on absolute terms, but not very well given the series pedigree. The end.

FrankT

user_nat said:
"- PS3 was only console to have 32% increase in software sales YOY."

What does this even mean?

No other console had positive growth or no other console had exactly 32% growth?

Noticed. Very interesting wording.

cakefoo

plagiarize said:
it was also the third best selling game that year. the market has grown a lot since then.

most people were expecting GT to have grown with it.
Thanks to the Wii, sure... but you think a driving sim is the next logical place for Grandpa Joe and 16 year old Cindy to migrate?

antonz

Metalmurphy said:
It also did 618k on launch date. GT5 did 560k on it's second month.

The difference is NOT that huge. US isn't GTs main market.

You are comparing sales from regular time of the year versus sales from Mega Superduper insano holiday season. It should be worrysome that in 2 months of GT5 sales they are only slightly tracking ahead of 1 month of GT4 sales

Opiate said:
I'm not sure why this needs to be stated so often: GT5 is a success by gaming standards if we consider it a typical game. It's an enormous success, in fact, if it has already shipped 5.5M copies.

If the standard is the GT franchise, then the sales are, at least, underwhelming.
If the standard is "Sony's flagship franchise," then they are also underwhelming.
If the standard is profitability, then GT5 is unquestionably profitable, and likely profitable by a wide margin. Also good.

The problem with these arguments is that no one is precisely wrong about GT5: it's entirely possible for one person to say the sales are good while another says the sales are bad, as they're coming from two different perspectives.

Sometimes, some perspectives are not legitimate. For example, if GT5 sold 1M copies total, and you said, "well, that's more than any other racing sim on the PS3 that had a prologue has sold," I would consider that a flatly invalid perspective. If God of War 3 had sold 9 million copies and someone said, "that's not as good as Halo," that would be a flatly invalid perspective.

But in this case, I think there are several legitimate perspectives, and they don't allow for an absolute consensus of opinion. In some ways the game did relatively poorly. In other ways it did excellently.

To wit: GT5 is a game that sold extremely well on absolute terms, but not very well given the series pedigree. The end.
no arguments here.

that sony didn't draw any attention to it in their PR is a pretty clear indication to me how *they* feel about its performance.

Shurs

Jtyettis said:
Not whole lot besides the fact that one is very much an established brand while the others brand new IP that launched around it and performing better. This whole thread is dedicated to sales age and comparison. Nothing new.

Oh I think they can clear that shipment, but certainly wasn't making that comparison. That was directly a comparison of US sales now and going forward compared to the LTD of the mainline GTs before this.

You do realize that number includes bundles, right?

Opiate said:

One can also say it sold extremely well considering the increasing lack of interest in these games by the US.

Forza also disappeared from the NPD, yet it continued to sell very well in Europe.

dvolovets

_Alkaline_ said:
As of now, they only have Skyward Sword next year. No chance.
Nintendo, as of late, has been announcing their games a few months before they actually release. I wouldn't be surprised if their 2011 lineup for the Wii is going to be meatier than most think.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
MYE said:
But, the JP, job description...

giant-calculator.jpg

Luckyman

Banned
plufim said:
The question for Sony becomes: has it performed well enough to justify its' astronomical budget and time in development?

The budget of GT5 could have made 3 or more AAA games, in less time. Would the combined sales of those 3 exceed 8 million? If they included more God Of Wars and Uncharteds, then yeah.

Do you understand why Prologue was made?

Sony's PR is just so sad and funny.

And I am totally reading that highlight as: "Sony is the only company to see a rise of EXACTLY 32% in software sales.... MS saw a 44% rise and Nintendo a 28% rise, BUT NOT 32!!!".

Aselith

Metalmurphy said:
It also did 618k on launch date. GT5 did 560k on it's second month.

The difference is NOT that huge. US isn't GTs main market.

So, now we're going the other way from the only had 5 days of sales excuse and making December its second month. Well, TECHNICALLY!

DaBuddaDa

dvolovets said:
Nintendo, as of late, has been announcing their games a few months before they actually release. I wouldn't be surprised if their 2011 lineup for the Wii is going to be meatier than most think.
True. Before E3 2010, nobody knew about DKCR, Golden Sun, Kirby or GoldenEye, right? They all came out within 5 months of announcement.

antonz said:
You are comparing sales from regular time of the year versus sales from Mega Superduper insano holiday season. It should be worrysome that in 2 months of GT5 sales they are only slightly tracking ahead of 1 month of GT4 sales
You're right. We should compare sales after a year, where GT5 will be slightly below GT4, but not low enough to justify all the drama we're seeing here.

Snipes424 said:
I don't understand what is funny about that.

If you don't find it funny that one of Sony's top 2 highlights of the month is a single game getting good reviews, in a sales-related press release no less, then I can't help you.

antonz

Luckyman said:
Do you understand why Prologue was made?
It could be said the fact prologue was made to recover costs is a sign that the development process for the GT games are indeed broken

Top Bottom