• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2013 [Up2: Xbox One/360 HW, 3DS top system of year]

Allegrian

Banned
Man where is a gif of Scar throwing Mufasa off the cliff and Simba watching when you need one? I was going to make one but I can't seem to find a gif! ;_;

Sadly don't have the movie on hand to make it and the YT videos are all terrible quality

But here anyways

Scar = Gamers
Mufasa = Wii U
Simba = Iwata
Wildebeests = Casuals

Poor Wii U. Sold the most it could but probably didn't even break 500k.

The other results are as expected. The PS4 probably sold in the upper 700k range depending on the supply.

The only good news for Nintendo was the 3DS.

I think the 3D version is better

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Despite 8 years of Xbox-dominance, the PS4 sold out and outsold the Xbox One last year.

This is the only insane news here.

Would be more insane if the same thing hadn't happened the previous gen transition (PS2 domination to Wii domination).

Animal Crossing really isn't as big of a deal in the US as it is in Japan and Pokemon is more of a slow burn so this year could potentially be closer than some people are expecting. The perfromance of the 3DS HW in 2014 really depends on things like whether we get another price drop and what SW they end up lining up alongside Smash Bros.

The system is already cheap enough, further price drop won't help the system much more. And Smash Bros portable performance is in the air, considering is the first portable installment.

Nintendo already used almost all their bullets. They don't have much software that could compare to this year.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
NeoGAF says Wii U is already dead!

9YyoS.jpg

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Yeah, 1.2M more consoles sold but they must be worried about lost December NPD.
Well, the US market is the most important console market. If I was Mr. Sony I would be miffed.

But you can't please all the people all the time. Winning the US market is important because so many industry outlets are based there that even if you're ahead WW, if you're not ahead in the US you're not ahead in perception.

3m Xbox Ones vs 4.2m PS4s.
I think those yield issues were very much real unless you are suggesting there's 1.2m Xbox Ones sitting on shelves collecting dust?
The PS4 selling more in no way validates the silly rumor. Do we know exactly when both companies started manufacturing finished boxes (I was under the impression Sony had a head start there)? MS got a tremendous number of systems to stores in short order, which shows there was no where near the problem that fear mongers were suggesting.

So we were spot on with next gen console numbers which wasn't hard to predict with the over supply of Xbones & the under supply of PS4. Congrats to MS.

Now on to when Sony can finally get stock out consistently. Then we'll see just how long MS can hang on without a price cut. Should be a fun 2014!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I know everyone is going for hardware numbers, but something in that yearly software list pops out at me.

Disney Infinity beat Skylanders Swap-Force for the year. That seems pretty impressive for a game released just to take a chunk of Activisions market with Skylanders.

does NPD count Pokemon X & Y as separate games? if so would they have been on the top 10 list (for the year) if combined?

They do count them separate, so maybe. Combined sales for either October or November (can't remember which) were significantly ahead of GTAV.

What world do you live in that the Wii didn't exist?

The world of proper consoles, with real third party support, network services and HD games? ;)

Nah but even if we say the Wii was running the same race as the PS360, you can't argue that the 360 didn't dominate the PS3 in the NPD all the way through last gen.

Pain

Banned
It's possible if they are manufacturing the same amount of consoles as Sony. I know we've only had anecdotal evidence so far but it doesn't seem like it's very hard to find an Xbox One in stores or online. MS doesn't seem be as supply constrained as Sony is right now.
That's because they have less demand. Despite what Microsoft may have said or what Decembers sales results are, Xbox Ones are not flying off the shelves. Lots of evidence points to supply exceeding demand.

Evo_Nine

Banned
wow so xbox is outselling the ps4 in America even with a hideous lead up at E3 and $100 more expensive.

The xbox brand in America must be bloody strong to achieve this, barring another RROD, this generation should be very profitable for Microsoft.

amazing turn around after all the negativity, Well done!

Duxxy3

3m Xbox Ones vs 4.2m PS4s.
I think those yield issues were very much real unless you are suggesting there's 1.2m Xbox Ones sitting on shelves collecting dust?

Every where you go you can find xbox ones in stock. Would not surprise me if there were hundreds of thousands on shelves across the country.

kyser73

Well, the US market is the most important console market. If I was Mr. Sony I would be miffed.

But you can't please all the people all the time. Winning the US market is important because so many industry outlets are based there that even if you're ahead WW, if you're not ahead in the US you're not ahead in perception in the USA.

FTFY.

Of course, the PS4 being ahead in the US overall doesn't count, does it, because December.

jet1911

I know everyone is going for hardware numbers, but something in that yearly software list pops out at me.

Disney Infinity beat Skylanders Swap-Force for the year. That seems pretty impressive for a game released just to take a chunk of Activisions market with Skylanders.

Not really surprising, it's Disney after all. The appeal of those franchises is huuuuuuge.

Piggus

I thought that the PS4 would slowdown in sales a bit, but I didn't think it would get passed by in 1 month totals like that given the saturation of xbox1s in the wild. Microsoft must have got a lot of inspiration from Wesker or something on what to do. The 360's sales totals are what surprise me the most given the next gen launched and how relatively close the numbers are to the new system and how old that system is already.

This makes the numbers for January through March more interesting to see how both the PS4 and Xbox1 settle into their jog, now that they finished with their sprints.

It didn't slow down in sales. They sold every unit they could make very quickly. If you have been paying attention to the retail threads you would know that the demand for PS4 is significantly higher. The difference is they were not just focussing on sending all their stock to the US. The fact that MS has unit sitting on the store shelves for a month and still didn't break a million is more concerning for them.

Pain

Banned
The PS4 selling more in no way validates the silly rumor. Do we know exactly when both companies started manufacturing finished boxes (I was under the impression Sony had a head start there)? MS got a tremendous number of systems to stores in short order, which shows there was no where near the problem that fear mongers were suggesting.
There is no proof either way. But I guess according to US law, its innocent until proven guilty. We'll never know the truth.

DaBoss

A million sales is bad news if you look at what ppl are saying about 3DS. It's GAF. THERE ARE NO GOOD SALES lol
The 3DS had Pokemon and a cheaper revision (2DS) released this year. I would expect 2013's December to have been the biggest December ever for the 3DS.

CalebW

Banned
The world of proper consoles, with real third party support, network services and HD games? ;)

Nah but even if we say the Wii was running the same race as the PS360, you can't argue that the 360 didn't dominate the PS3 in the NPD all the way through last gen.

I can't say that, because for awhile PS3 was beating 360. Then Kinect and Move came out and Sony went into the shitter and MS ascended.

Amir0x

Banned
"Vita outsold the PS2, the best selling console of all time, for the month in December 2013"

I hope

It just makes me sad to see Wii U and Vita doing as poorly as they are doing. Wii U, of course, because it's finally getting great games, and the market is not responding. A crime that Knack can sell better than Mario 3D World in any territory, genuinely.

But Vita especially hurts. When I see for example Kojima showing Remote play of the latest Metal Gear game on Vita, all I can think of is that with gaming dedicated handheld hardware slowly decreasing in all corners (including 3DS, gen over gen), that handheld hardware will probably never support games of that scope in a healthy market. And unless controllers gain traction in the iOS market, we've probably only got one or two more gens of a dedicated gaming handheld hardware being as it is without something seriously changing.

Top Bottom