• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2014 [Up2: Nintendo Sales Notes]

Hmm, are peeps generally ignorant of the fact that GTAV was SONY's main bundled title during the xmas period along with many others. You can't just ignore it was and just say "oh look it sold more at retail on X1, SONY am doomed, better do somethings! Drop dat price ASAP!".

It's no surprise to me that MS locked Nov + Dec this year in the US, they always seem too, but overreacting and loosing shit over some retail software selling some more on X1 and going the PS4 doomed/tides turning route is BS, especially when bundles aren't tracked. If increased sales continue for months and MS wipe the gap and sales start to actually swing, then SONY should be doing something to counter.

AC:U/AC4 would have probably been high as well on NPD if they bothered to track bundled games and anyone getting that cheap X1 bundle could more than likely of purchased GTAV:R separate. Right now SONY has to do absolutely nothing though as hitting almost 20mil LTD is a massive achievement, more so than winning 2 months of NPD. America isn't the only place thats important, and at least SONY haven't yet had to suffer great losses with regular price cuts to create any remote interest in their product to generate better sales.

MS can window dress their price drop all they like, but its a simple fact of they fucked up and sent across the wrong message at the start and are having to correct now.

We can't really say, without a reference point to Skylanders or Disney Infinity toys.
Assuming, 2.6 million x $13, that's not too great as far as revenue for these things go (Reggie expected $1 billion [for the toys to life, not amiibo alone] this year in the US alone).

Well after Q1 2014 Skylanders had sold 175 million toys and generated more than 2 billion revenue. So I think it's save to assume that Skylanders generated way more than 38 million during this holiday quarter.

Edit. beaten badly.

Anyone looking for amiibo to topple Skylanders and Infinity is missing the point.

The amiibo platform is looking to monetise a very small Wii U consumer base. I know they're rolling it out to 3DS this year, but for the time being it's naturally hamstrung by the amounts of Wii Us and copies of Smash Bros out there. A 2:1 attach rate for amiibo to Smash is a brilliant start, and they'll be looking to build off that base.

I wonder, and I'm genuinely curious, how many people who are now buying xbones and games for them are jumping ship from the PS4? This is entirely subjective, but myself and two other friends started the gen on the PS4 hype train and ended up moving back to MS for familiarity (Halo being my number one reason). I haven't turned my PS4 on since I got pvz for free.

But Gratz to MS for keeping it for two months consecutive.

A few people who went from PS4 to X1.
A bunch of people who I know still haven't gotten new consoles, so not exactly much to say yet.
Oh, a few Wii-U owners too.

Welfare

I still don't get how the Wii U could pull in that big of a number this month. It's great and all, but seriously. How?

CentroXer

Banned
There's a fighting game, 3 sports games, 3 fps, 2 open world TPS and Minecraft, with 2 new IP (3 with we count Minecraft) in the top 10. That's pretty good as far as diversity goes.

GTAV and Minecraft were on the list last year too. The same games. I'd still say that 2000 has 2015 beat.

lefantome

What a disaster for Nintendo in 2014:
They released their biggest IPs and they only had a 30% growth over the absimally low 2013 sales

At the same time 3ds hardware keeps down.

EatMyFace

Banned
Remember when you guys made fun of those people who predicted Microsoft wouln't increase the price? Here we are a week later.

By now you should all know that everything that comes out of Microsoft PR is bullshit.

I still don't get how the Wii U could pull in that big of a number this month. It's great and all, but seriously. How?

People finally opened their eyes to the truth.

It has great games, so what does it matter if it doesn't have CoD or ACU or other broken games? /s

I don't think they do yet though, no?
No, I don't believe so. But given the audience/collector nature, I could see people buying these things even without a functional purpose yet.

Actually on that note, if these were simply well-promoted figurine collector items, what do people think they'd sell?

Smash Bros is still a huge franchise, clearly.

Mario Kart did decent holiday numbers, too.

Honestly, it's not like the Wii U numbers are astonishing, or even all that good, but it's a decent enough performance by the standards of the console's regular sales.

Loakum

Banned
Damn! PS4 getting murdered in software sales.
Not too surprising. Factor in Sony's weak exclusives in 2014, and their constant online troubles, and Xbox One selling for $350...Sony is lucky they didn't get their asses kicked worse...in the USA, this past holiday season.

thefro

For a system 2 years after launch that number is awful. Wii U is dead.

Great Amiibo number though!

It's not a fantastic number of systems sold but it's a pretty decent one, especially considering they weren't nearly as aggressive with promotions, price cuts, bundles, etc as Sony/Microsoft were.

tebunker

Banned
I do feel they're still underutilizing their licensing and merchandizing potential and this is a good example of what they could be achieving.

Movies, kids TV shows, apparel, more toy lines, school supplies, and more should all be present.

You mean they never should have stopped, they haven't had that great leadership or autonomy in 15 plus years.

Growing up you could get Nintendo licensed everything and we have multiple Nintendo cartoons, Captain N and SMB Show and I think one other...

Not to mention cereals, snacks, all kinds of clothing and toys.

They clearly walked away from it, but I don't think they realized all of that stuff helped their brand and kept them in kids minds. They should have evolved that business over the years instead of walking away from it.

???

It's not that large, nor is it that surprising. Nintendo said in November that BF week was it's highest selling week. Wii U is still riding from SSB, plus you have Mario Kart and Amiibo this holiday, on top of Nintendo traditionally doing well in December.

"I want to thank all of the Xbox fans who contributed to our record-setting holiday and making 2014 such a successful year. The Xbox One deals were quite popular and have inspired a new promotion starting January 16 where fans in the U.S. can buy an Xbox One for $349 at their preferred retailer."

So it's almost like the price-raise never happened.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
No, I don't believe so. But given the audience/collector nature, I could see people buying these things even without a functional purpose yet.

Well my friend has like 10-20 already between his currently bought ones and pre-orders so there are certainly at least some people buying them in bulk.

phanphare

Banned
Oh, I forgot that Amiibos will work with 3DS too. It's harder to discern an attach rate then.

well for November and December they were Smash Bros-specific. also they didn't really talk about amiibos and the 3DS consumer-side (to my knowledge) until the Direct yesterday detailing the NFC reader in the New 3DS XL.

that little peripheral for the original 3DS/XL showed up in an investor briefing but I doubt that affected these sales at all.

I think it's safe to say that for these two months specifically amiibo sales are directly related to the Wii U with the occasional person just buying one because it looks cool.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Hmm, are peeps generally ignorant of the fact that GTAV was SONY's main bundled title during the xmas period along with many others. You can't just ignore it was and just say "oh look it sold more at retail on X1, SONY am doomed, better do somethings! Drop dat price ASAP!".

It's no surprise to me that MS locked Nov + Dec this year in the US, they always seem too, but overreacting and loosing shit over some retail software selling some more on X1 and going the PS4 doomed/tides turning route is BS, especially when bundles aren't tracked. If increased sales continue for months and MS wipe the gap and sales start to actually swing, then SONY should be doing something to counter.

AC:U/AC4 would have probably been high as well on NPD if they bothered to track bundled games and anyone getting that cheap X1 bundle could more than likely of purchased GTAV:R separate. Right now SONY has to do absolutely nothing though as hitting almost 20mil LTD is a massive achievement, more so than winning 2 months of NPD. America isn't the only place thats important, and at least SONY haven't yet had to suffer great losses with regular price cuts to create any remote interest in their product to generate better sales.

MS can window dress their price drop all they like, but its a simple fact of they fucked up and sent across the wrong message at the start and are having to correct now.

What are you talking about? Who is overreacting and losing their shit?

Welfare

Honestly, it's not like the Wii U numbers are astonishing, or even all that good, but it's a decent enough performance by the standards of the console's regular sales.
???

It's not that large, nor is it that surprising. Nintendo said in November that BF week was it's highest selling week. Wii U is still riding from SSB, plus you have Mario Kart and Amiibo this holiday, on top of Nintendo traditionally doing well in December.
Almost 600k is a lot better than I thought it would, especially with it doing 240k in November. Maybe I just underestimated the Wii U's increase month over month.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
“Fans can anticipate another strong year for 2015, especially with more highly anticipated games like Splatoon and The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D, as well as New Nintendo 3DS XL, arriving in the first half of 2015.”

And people still believe Splatoon will be some kind of W101. There, it's top of their list for 2015, they will push it as strong as they can.

TSM

The 360 finally crawls past the Wii in the US. It was a really really long time coming. I wonder if either the 360 or PS3 will eventually take the worldwide crown for last gen.

Top Bottom