• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2014 [Up2: Nintendo Sales Notes]

On software sales? I've been saying it every month since launch month xbox always had higher attach rates. Clearly it was going to sell more as hardware sales increased

very true.

i've frequently posted tie ratio comparisons throughout the months.

ps4 may have a larger digital presence, but people have underestimated the xb1 at retail software.

On Demand

Banned
Yeah that surprised me too. For them to have more software on the Xbox One sold in December versus the PS4 is actually pretty shocking given the lead PS4 has in the install base. I am sure MS is loving this because a lot of money is made off of the royalty fees that the hardware manufactures get from the software companies. For MS to take this in December is impressive.

Nah. XB1 sold more hardware over the holidays so naturally more people will be buying software. Plus PS4 sold more overall.

You guys are looking into this too much.

Superman00

Liverpool01
Yeah that surprised me too. For them to have more software on the Xbox One sold in December versus the PS4 is actually pretty shocking given the lead PS4 has in the install base. I am sure MS is loving this because a lot of money is made off of the royalty fees that the hardware manufactures get from the software companies. For MS to take this in December is impressive.

People should really look at the second chart. The yearly charts show software is selling better with the higher install base. The only one selling better on XB1 is COD, Destiny(doesn't count bundle, so not surprising), and Minecraft. GTA5 still sold better on the PS4 without counting the bundle.

So with about 1.2M for XB1 in December, total should be:

4.9 + 1.2 =~ 6.1-6.2M for XB1, given that there were crazy deals going on in the US.
WW numbers would be at 10.5M(high end) for XB1.
So WW, PS4 would be at least around 8M ahead of XB1.
18.5M(PS4 actual) - 10.5M(XB1 high end estimate) = 8M.
So by the end of this year, chances the gap is gonna be 14M easily.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I've been looking for information on this. Evidence?

Well there is a very unreliable and totally pointless site that posts sales. BUT, they do get Japan and the US correct after NPD and Media Create post their numbers. I've reduced the number they have slightly because they haven't adjusted for this months NPD! I've seen it posted elsewhere too but I can't find it and that number was 700k a few weeks ago. So putting the two together I'm guessing 500k, possibly 550k

I'd be willing to say 550k for The Order and perhaps 300k for Bloodborne. Just my gut feeling on the matter.

Console sales appear to line up with what I expected for the month. Attach rate on most of the major multis favoring the Xbone for December doesn't surprise me given that November + December saw about 500-600k new Xbone users over the PS4. It's pretty normal for brand new console owners to pick up a game or two with their new purchase (day of purchase or a couple of weeks later), especially during the holidays with all the discounts across major outlets. The cheaper price point on the Xbone also gave people more breathing room to spend on an extra game I imagine, though that's just conjecture on my part.

Always nice to hear about the Wii U breaking its own sales milestones, though of course, it could be selling much better in a world where a great, varied line-up of exclusive titles was the sole driving factor.

benji232

Neo Member
On software sales? I've been saying it every month since launch month xbox always had higher attach rates. Clearly it was going to sell more as hardware sales increased

Would you be kind enough to give us a ballpark of how much the 3ds sold please? :) I'm very curious how it performed given new 3DS.

Miles X

Well there is a very unreliable and totally pointless site that posts sales. BUT, they do get Japan and the US correct after NPD and Media Create post their numbers. I've reduced the number they have slightly because they haven't adjusted for this months NPD! I've seen it posted elsewhere too but I can't find it and that number was 700k a few weeks ago. So putting the two together I'm guessing 500k, possibly 550k

Then why are you posting it, you know it's against the rules. SMH.

arevin01

I think Jan NPD will be more telling if XB1 can maintain the lead on a monthly basis. If so, PS4 will be in 2nd place for good unless they drop the price.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
not in many cases

Yes, that is true. That's why I guestimated myself and reduced the number they have. It's just 'around about if we feel like adjusting' number lol.

edit: Was it you that actually posted the real number on here last month? I've been looking for it and can't find it.

Derpyduck

Banned
I think Jan NPD will be more telling if XB1 can maintain the lead on a monthly basis. If so, PS4 will be in 2nd place for good unless they drop the price.

I think Sony can kiss their 100k monthly wins goodbye, but I don't think Xbox One will ever outsell the PS4 again without the benefit of the holiday season combined with insane promos.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Then why are you posting it, you know it's against the rules. SMH.

Because I couldn't find the post (I think it was actually on here). I do recall that site being more or less the same so I drew the number from there. I'm still looking for the post on here but it's hellish to find, and I can't even remember whether it was in an NPD thread!

PhatSaqs

Banned
Not really. MS tied one arm behind their back for the month already. They untie it starting tomorrow.

Loakum

Banned
It's on one system instead of 2 and it's a new IP.

Do I think it's possible that it goes over 3m? I'm not sure. I think the market for the game is that large, I just don't know if the entire market has a PS4.

You know The Last of Us was a new ip. I know a lot of Uncharted fans purchased that game. The same can be said for souls fans (with the upcoming Bloodborne). I believe it will sale 3 to 4 million in 2015.

Hero

John we've been over this several times, the majority of people on here don't read your posts. :p

Top Bottom