• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2014 [Up2: Nintendo Sales Notes]

mclem

-In 2014, 16 Nintendo 3DS titles sold at least 250,000 units. Of those titles, eight sold more than 500,000 units and three sold over 1 million units.
-In 2014, the top 15 best-selling hand-held titles were all released on the Nintendo 3DS family of systems.

So a Vita game sold >250k? Wonder what it is.

GVA1987

Great to see such high sales for all platforms. Never want my hobby to die off. :)

I'm in Australia so my WiiU purchase won't count on here but it was time to support Ninty.

Duxxy3

If the Xbox One continues with this good momentum, then we can start postulating in Microsoft possibly overtaking Sony in NA. But with the monster year possibly ahead of the PS4, I think it's foolish to jump in with the return of the king memes.

Majority of the lead that Sony build up in the states was lost in two months (OK, just barely the majority). With things the way they are (as of tomorrow) it's inevitable that the XB1 will top the PS4 in the states.

I don't expect things to change much until around E3 - in terms of pricing and bundling.

As much as I loathe to admit it, consoles are not bought for their exclusives (cue 2014 annual sales). It all comes down to price, perceived value and bundling.

Mrbob

I'd hesitate to trust anything Kevin Dent related but those numbers do fit pretty nicely into the 2.33 million total for both consoles in December.

I think Destiny's second expansion lands in March as well. That might take a bit of sales away from Battlefield.

Woah, nice overreaction. I was responding to someone who was making the point that GTA5 sold less on PS4 due to the bundle. Those of us who bought the PS4 before the bundle also bought the stand-alone game. So it's not like GTA5's numbers on PS4 should be heavily skewed by the bundle. I'm sure there's a ton of bundled copies, but likewise there's a ton of non-bundled.

It don't see why it shouldn't be. Given that Nov+Dec are the biggest months for people to pick up consoles, it's completely understandable that the GTA V's numbers would heavily skew toward the bundles.

Also remember that the stand-alone game sold more on PS4 in November (i.e., the first month for GTA V NG, where most games get the majority of their sales).

Also consider digital. That's how I bought it. Though I guess this would theoretically have equal effect on the Xbox version as well.

Superman00

Liverpool01
If the Xbox One continues with this good momentum, then we can start postulating in Microsoft possibly overtaking Sony in NA. But with the monster year possibly ahead of the PS4, I think it's foolish to jump in with the return of the king memes.

People also forget that Sony hasn't even fully play their hands yet. If Sony drop the PS4 to $350 with TLOU bundle, combine with the games that are releasing, the would suddenly reverse again.

The US accounts for >50% of XB1 sales.

While for PS4:
US ~ 6.7M
WW ~ 18.5M
6.7/18.5 =~ 36%

Even without the US, PS4 still is ahead of the XB1. That just shows how crazy it is selling WW.

Papacheeks

Banned
Majority of the lead that Sony build up in the states was lost in two months (OK, just barely the majority). With things the way they are (as of tomorrow) it's inevitable that the XB1 will top the PS4 in the states.

I don't expect things to change much until around E3 - in terms of pricing and bundling.

As much as I loathe to admit it, consoles are not bought for their exclusives (cue 2014 annual sales). It all comes down to price, perceived value and bundling.

So your saying the console with a light Release schedule for games in the first part of 2015 will out perform the other?

Loakum

Banned
I know Bloodborne is getting a bunch of attention (rightfully so) but another Sony exclusive is gonna sale a ton of copies this year: Until Dawn. Heavy Rain type games also has a large following. Until Dawn is Heavy Rain meets Saw 2. I'm sooooo ready for that game! ^_^

Duxxy3

yeah, no debate there. That doesn't subtract from the fact how enormous the souls fanbase is.

I think the souls fanbase is somewhere between 3 and 4 million. The issue that Bloodborne has is that it doesn't have access to the Xbox market, like DaS 1 and 2 had.

I expect Bloodborne to sell better than Demon's souls, but less than Dark Souls 1 or 2.

jmaine_ph

People also forget that Sony hasn't even fully play their hands yet. If Sony drop the PS4 to $350 with TLOU bundle, combine with the games that are releasing, the would suddenly reverse again.

The US accounts for >50% of XB1 sales.

While for PS4:
US ~ 6.7M
WW ~ 18.5M
6.7/18.5 =~ 36%

Even without the US, PS4 still is ahead of the XB1. That just shows how crazy it is selling WW.
Damn. Never looked at it that way.

RBK

Banned
Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are very popular on PS3, 360, and PC. I'd imagine most of that fanbase is somewhat interested in what looks to be another, superior, Demons Souls.

No?

Popular, sure. But it's not like either set the sales charts on fire as multiplatform releases.

Derpyduck

Banned
XBO GTA V > PS4 GTA V without counting hardware bundles. It's as simple as that.

Yes, and I'm saying if you forget the bundles altogether, there were 700k more PS4 owners than Xbox One owners. So I therefore find it surprising that it sold more on Xbox One. That's all I'm saying. I'm not saying it didn't sell on PS4, because that would be absurd.

kyser73

Yup, can't disagree with that.

Yep. January will be really interesting. I expect Microsoft will lose January thanks to the bizarre decision to raise the price back up. February though who knows?

What is the first "major" exclusive Microsoft is releasing next year? It feels like the first half of the year is going to be barren, but I could be wrong.

very true.

i've frequently posted tie ratio comparisons throughout the months.

ps4 may have a larger digital presence, but people have underestimated the xb1 at retail software.

**Unless that exclusive happens to be Halo, Mario, and maybe GT or Uncharted games.

Assuming Dent's number is reliable, the US accounts for only 36% of PS4 global sell-through.

I think the souls fanbase is somewhere between 3 and 4 million. The issue that Bloodborne has is that it doesn't have access to the Xbox market, like DaS 1 and 2 had.

I expect Bloodborne to sell better than Demon's souls, but less than Dark Souls 1 or 2.
Where do people pull these sorts of numbers from?

How can the fanbase be 3-4M when no game in the franchise has shipped that much, afaik.

So the million plus people that bought PS4s prior didn't want GTA5?

Let's use some critical thinking here. Tons of people bought next gen consoles, yes? Lets say there was a lot of them that wanted GTAV. Well, those that bought a new PS4 had it included. Those that bought an X1 had to buy it separately. You see now?

Miles X

Jan 2014 NPD

XB1: 141k
PS4: 271k
WiiU: 49k

Wonder how all 3 will fare this month YOY. Surely XB1 will do better just by the entry price being $150 cheaper?

jmaine_ph

I know Bloodborne is getting a bunch of attention (rightfully so) but another Sony exclusive is gonna sale a ton of copies this year: Until Dawn. Heavy Rain type games also has a large following. Until Dawn is Heavy Rain meets Saw 2. I'm sooooo ready for that game! ^_^
YAAAAAS! I loved Heavy Rain and this is right up that lane with a horror twist. Shut off the lights and turn the headset to 11!

Top Bottom