• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2010

thuway

cabot said:
Can't believe "year of the ps3" isn't a banned meme.

Also can't believe people are surprised dante's inferno ps3 beat 360 dante. Arkham Asylum proved that people will go for the extra content.

The content isn't as important as the tastes gamers have developed with consoles. I honestly believe dual console owners buy games based on what controller they feel like will give the best experience.

JRPGs + TPS + Action Adventure + Fighters = PS3

FPS + Sports Titles = 360

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Clearly the PlayStation 3 was supply constrained.

I think it's getting blown out of proportion. I don't think the supply issues were as bad as people are making it out to be. I think it still would have been edged out by 360, just because Mass Effect, Bioshock, and MW2 are pushing the console this month.

Kandinsky

Chumly said:
Im having trouble figuring out how the fuck both Nintendo and Sony cannot seem to make enough consoles and yet Microsoft has NO problem and manages to outsell them.
Add console sales for the last 6 months (US/JP) for each manufacturer and you'll have your answer.

fernoca

thuway said:
The content isn't as important as the tastes gamers have developed with consoles. I honestly believe dual console owners buy games based on what controller they feel like will give the best experience.

Yeah...that explains all the PS3 JRPGs we've seen on the NPD charts..and Street Fighter IV, Soulcalibur IV, Devil May Cry , GTAIV and RE5 selling more on PS3 too...

..or was it the opposite? :p

If anything, it was mostly the extra content..with Batman being advertised on the PS3 as the "only version you could play as The Joker"..and Dante being "the only version with bonus features"..

Mafro

TacticalFox88 said:
Am I the only one who wants to know WHO THE FUCK KEEPS BUYING A FREAKING PS2!?!?!?! Shit the generation started FIVE YEARS AGO!.

I'm still waiting on confirmation from Sony as to whether the generation has started yet.

Chumly

thuway said:
Here are some awesome guesses:

1. Both Sony and Nintendo make a fuck ton more money internationally than they do in the States. Allocating to Europe garuntees 50% more profit.

2. PS3 was recently *exploited*, so you can be damn sure they are putting the brakes on the production side of things to make a fool proof version.

3. Both Sony and Nintendo produce more than just Wii and PS3. The PS2, PSP, DS Lite, DS XL, and some other shit I'm probably forgetting is probably produced just as much.

You don't gotta hate playa.
Joke post?

2&3 dont make sense and 1 is a long shot.

WillyFive

TacticalFox88 said:
Am I the only one who wants to know WHO THE FUCK KEEPS BUYING A FREAKING PS2!?!?!?! Shit the generation started FIVE YEARS AGO!.

Sony still has the on the shelves. As long as it's on the shelves, people are going to walk buy and pick it up.

thuway

Arpharmd B said:
I think it's getting blown out of proportion. I don't think the supply issues were as bad as people are making it out to be. I think it still would have been edged out by 360, just because Mass Effect, Bioshock, and MW2 are pushing the console this month.
:lol Sony is shipping THREE consoles a week to retailers in SEATTLE. GTFO

TacticalFox88 said:

Does it matter? Something has to offset the $40 or so dollar loss Sony is incurring lol.

racerx

Banned
Why is this?

If anything, with the coming release of GOW3, one would expect ps3 gamers to save their money for that.

Also, the 360 version should have sold more than twice as much as the ps3 version.

Are ps3 gamers just simply more into hack and slash fighters?

was there a marketing difference?

Eteric Rice

fernoca said:
Yeah...that explains all the PS3 JRPGs we've seen on the NPD charts..and Street Fighter IV, Soulcalibur IV, Devil May Cry , GTAIV and RE5 selling more on PS3 too...

..or was it the opposite? :p

JRPGs are everywhere this gen, really. No specific console. Actually, the majority are on handhelds.

Shurs

Chumly said:
Im having trouble figuring out how the fuck both Nintendo and Sony cannot seem to make enough consoles and yet Microsoft has NO problem and manages to outsell them.

Quality Control?

jjasper

How supply strained is the PS3? I saw 7 when I went to Target on Tuesday, but I guess they could have been holding some back for FFXIII's release.

Kusagari said:
And you're wrong. A game does not make the top 5 on the Xbox Live list it's first week and not sell 600k+ first month.

Didn't Bioshock 2 miss the top 10 entirely in its debut week? I could have sworn it was passed by Aliens vs. Predator. SP-focused games (like Bioshock) may be under-represented on the LIVE charts, while MP games (like Battlefield) may have a closer correlation to sales or even be over-represented, since roughly 1/3 of the 360 userbase never connects to LIVE.

Edit: In fact, I don't think Dante's even made the top 20 in its release week, and it sold over 200k.

2 Minutes Turkish said:
They didn't advertise Heavy Rain in the US?

They advertised the FUCK out of it in Australia. Wonder why. Although it has sold well down here.
Really? I haven't seen a single ad....

Now that I think about it I haven't watched TV in over a month, but I haven't seen any advertising at the movies.

Mafro

racerx said:
Why is this?

If anything, with the coming release of GOW3, one would expect ps3 gamers to save their money for that.

Also, the 360 version should have sold more than twice as much as the ps3 version.

Special edition was PS3-only.

thuway

Chumly said:
Joke post?

2&3 dont make sense and 1 is a long shot.

Really? How is any of that a joke post. The last thing Sony would want is the console to be completely hacked. The latest revision of the PS3 via the FCC has shown that it actually weighs less, so something has been modified.

As far as shipping more internationally- why not? With the way Sony has lost money the first part of this console cycle, you can fuck well bet they are doing everything they can to maximize profits.

Finally, whats wrong with assuming that since both Nintendo and Sony create more than just a home console, that they might have supply issues. Hell, whatever the reason is, it can't be that far off. Quit hatin'.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
racerx said:
Why is this?

Exclusive content for the PS3 was mentioned on all the ads.

Not sure why everyone thinks 360 should still be selling 2x as much software, the user base is more like 1.5x now.

fernoca

Eteric Rice said:
JRPGs are everywhere this gen, really. No specific console. Actually, the majority are on handhelds.
I was just replying to the reply about people buying JRPGs on PS3 because of controller preferences, yet the only JRPG that has made it into a Top 10 NPD chart from either PS3 or Xbox 360..was on Xbox 360 (Lost Oddysey) and even an exclusive.

thuway said:

Fighters = PS3

JRPGs + TPS + Action Adventure + FPS + Sports Titles + Racers = 360

Thought I'd fix that for you. Outside the dpad for fighters, there isn't anything else the 360 pad isn't completely perfect for. FPS' and Racers are just the standout, that's all.

Rapping Granny said:
Was there any type of MArketing for Heavy Rain, I still haven't seen a commercial of it yet.
Any Kevin Butler ads?
I havent seen any commercials either. Im pretty astonished it made the top ten being the type of game it is and with little marketing. Shows how far word of mouth can go for a great game.

thuway

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Thought I'd fix that for you. Outside the dpad for fighters, there isn't anything else the 360 pad isn't completely perfect for. FPS' and Racers are just the standout, that's all.

Sorry man gotta disagree. Different strokes for different folks :).

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
2 Minutes Turkish said:

this is getting damn specific, but playing katamari on a dualshock just feels more right to me, as the side-by-side analog sticks seem to better correspond to the arms of the prince while he rolls the ball. but that's being REALLY specific and REALLY nitpicky. otherwise i agree with you.

Dr Bad Dude PHD said:
Really? I haven't seen a single ad....

Now that I think about it I haven't watched TV in over a month, but I haven't seen any advertising at the movies.

Movies is where I saw it :lol At Alice in Wonderland. What a shit movie.

Seen TV ads, internet ads and print ads. The only ones I haven't seen/heard are radio ads.

JaxJag

Banned
Omotesando said:
I think Heavy Rain sold better in Europe being a European game and all. This could mean the game could sell well over a million. Huge succes.

Huge? I remember when Shane was still on the 1UP Urs Podcast he mentioned the game had well over a 20 million dollar budget.

If that's true, it needs to do better.

desh

thuway said:

I've been playing God of War recently from the GOW Collection (first time playing the game), and it bugs me that I can't move around and switch magic at the same time. If the d-pad and left stick swapped places I could do this much more easily. This to me demonstrates an advantage the 360 controller has over the dualshock 3. What advantage does the dualshock 3 have over the 360 controller for this type of game (action adventure)?

beelzebozo said:
this is getting damn specific, but playing katamari on a dualshock just feels more right to me, as the side-by-side analog sticks seem to better correspond to the arms of the prince while he rolls the ball. but that's being REALLY specific and REALLY nitpicky. otherwise i agree with you.

Fair enough. Devil May Cry feels better for me on PS3 as well. Now that I think about it, add 3rd person adventure/hack n slasher/3D platformers to the list of games that suit the DUALSHOCK better.

But yeah outside those 2 genres. The 360 pad is just perfection.

MS just needs to fix that d-pad on the next Xbox. Keep everything else as is.

2 Minutes Turkish said:

Well, thats just, like, your opinion man. I hate having the left analoge stick at the top of the controller. It means I'm hitting the left triggers with the very bottom of my finger, which is a terrible way to pull a trigger.

Vyer said:
I'm still pretty surprised that PS3 hasn't been able to beat the 360 again, despite it's improvements.

Really? What changes in the market that would benefit the PS3 not tangentially benefit the 360 as well? HD consumption? 360 is an HD console. Sure the PS3 has plenty of advantages over the 360, but the 360 also has a massiver and cheaper library of games, and a SKU at a lower price point.

thuway

desh said:
I've been playing God of War recently from the GOW Collection (first time playing the game), and it bugs me that I can't move around and switch magic at the same time. If the d-pad and left stick swapped places I could do this much more easily. This to me demonstrates an advantage the 360 controller has over the dualshock 3. What advantage does the dualshock 3 have over the 360 controller for this type of game (action adventure)?

I like the placement of the L1 / L2 - R1 / R2 buttons. I like the dual analogs being close to each other. AT THE END OF THE DAY , its a personal preference. There's no magic sauce :).

thuway said:
Finally, whats wrong with assuming that since both Nintendo and Sony create more than just a home console, that they might have supply issues. Hell, whatever the reason is, it can't be that far off. Quit hatin'.

I didn't know that the 360 was the only product MS made. Learn something new every day I guess.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Trent Strong said:
Well, thats just, like, your opinion man. I hate having the left analoge stick at the top of the controller. It means I'm hitting the left triggers with the very bottom of my finger, which is a terrible way to pull a trigger.
Now you have to take a picture of your grip. That makes no sense.

racerx

Banned
Mafro said:
Special edition was PS3-only.

I highly doubt that had much of an affect. who is going to pay $10 more for the collectors edition of DI?

I think it really has to do with demographics. I think the Ps3 base is slightly different than the 360 base.

savor100

360 beating Wii? Whoa!

And I can't believe BioShock 2 for PS3 didn't make the top 10. It should have taken that 10th spot instead of Heavy Rain (disappointment of the year so far imo).

racerx said:
I highly doubt that had much of an affect. who is going to pay $10 more for the collectors edition of DI?
They were the same price, and it wasn't a collector's edition... it was the only edition available for the PS3.

unomas

Banned
A little shocked but not that much, doesn't everyone remember how Wii was trending before Christmas hit? It did big numbers at Christmas of course, but weren't Wii numbers trending down until October/November/December? Nothing too surprising here. Not impressed by the number Heavy Rain pulled, I was hoping for a much higher number.

Top Bottom