• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2013 [Up5: Dead Space 3, Crysis 3, Official PS3/WiiU]

TheNatural

My Member!
Hey I ain't saying its good , just Better than many expected and a 40% rise with no new games is something unexpected

No, no it isn't.

Have standards fallen so far that any month of Wii U sales will never be "horrible."

Tell me what a horrible number is, if what Wii U is doing isn't. I mean Nintendo isn't going to do say, Saturn numbers or something these days. They're too big of a company and the market has expanded so much, those days are over.

Speaking in terms of being a force this next generation though within distance of Sony and Microsoft, and garnering widespread support, it really isn't looking good right now.

nbthedude

Sly Cooper did surprisingly well.And essentially a 68K maximum.

First 4 months in graphical form.
sKHkzEz.png

Wii U is headed fir a viscious flatline only four months out.

Meelow

Banned
Well, I can answer it for him instead. NPD officially reported a 40% increase on a weekly basis, and a guy who claimed the Wii U launched worse than the Virtual Boy said it was 80K.

If I had to choose, I'd probably go with 64K.

So do we know for a fact that it's 64K or is it possible that it can be 80k?

It's because it's a new system and people expected it to be at least in the 100k cycle.

But than when you look at it, no games released this month for Wii U.

If the PS4 and Xbox 720 do the same numbers or possible even worse when it has no games than it's a fact no games month won't do any good for the Wii U.

If March sales are the same for Wii U since it's releasing 3 bigger games + indies than Nintendo should start worrying and do everything they can to pull around the Wii U like 3DS.

I don't think it's fair for people dooming the Wii U or the Vita this early on.

Wii U is not doomed. But I can't understand how people can't not considearate the actual sales less than awful.

Kenai

Those FE numbers make me very, very happy. It deserves even more though. Wonder how the numbers would have looked without the physical copy supply constraints. I actually saw a few copies while out shopping today, so maybe it's getting better. Here's hoping to a good second month.

Madouu

Very good numbers for Fire Emblem Awakening.

Those FE numbers make me very, very happy. It deserves even more though. Wonder how the numbers would have looked without the physical copy supply constraints. I actually saw a few copies while out shopping today, so maybe it's getting better. Here's hoping to a good second month.

I think they would have been slightly better, but not by that much of a margin.

ymmv

Banned
Surprised to see Sly in the top 10, nice.

Sly has yet to come out in Europe. Sales here could be better since PS3 is more popular. Would be nice. I want classic series like Sly and Ratchett & Clank to remain viable franchises for the the PS4.

n64coder

I guess I don't understand all of the cracks about Sly being a surprise. Is it because historically, the Sly series has never sold well, not been advertised much, etc?

M.D

big_z

Iwata must be ecstatic. He wanted a system with very low power draw because you know that's what gamers care about. Not only did he achieve his goal but with the numbers wiiu is pulling the overall environmental impact is tiny. Huge success, give yourself a pat on the back.

Drago

Iwata must be ecstatic. He wanted a system with very low power draw because you know that's what gamers care about. Not only did he achieve his goal but with the numbers wiiu is pulling the overall environmental impact is tiny. Huge success, give yourself a pat on the back.

:lol

I thought creamsugar got caught sharing numbers and his subscription nuked

Tell me it isn't true :'(

Tookay

It's because it's a new system and people expected it to be at least in the 100k cycle.

But than when you look at it, no games released this month for Wii U.

If the PS4 and Xbox 720 do the same numbers or possible even worse when it has no games than it's a fact no games month won't do any good for the Wii U.

If March sales are the same for Wii U since it's releasing 3 bigger games + indies than Nintendo should start worrying and do everything they can to pull around the Wii U like 3DS.

I don't think it's fair for people dooming the Wii U or the Vita this early on.

It's not difficult to extrapolate that there is no momentum for either system. Three "big" games may be releasing, but they have practically no hype and aren't commanding a lot of mainstream press or attention. Hell, even enthusiast outlets aren't too preoccupied with talking about them.

And I'm not sure what you mean by dooming the Vita "this early on" when we have an entire year to look back on and see that it's going nowhere.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Shadow Dragon sold 250k in the US? And still Nintendo passed on the second DS game? Wtf? I've been under the impression that SD also flopped financially, but it actually reached numbers most other Japanese games of its kind would be glad to achieve.

By the time holiday 2009 rolled around, Shadow Dragon was being sold for $10 a pop at places. I would imagine that a lot of those 250k sales were at a discounted price since the game clearly did not sell through its initial (or at least early) shipments.

Ironically, I bet Nintendo wishes it shipped 250k copies of Awakening this time, rather than what seems to have been 100-120k.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Historically speaking, it's HORRIBLE.

Wii (first February, NPD) - 335K
Xbox 360 (first February, NPD) - 160K
Xbox (first February, NPD) - 139K
PS3 (first February, NPD) - 127K
GameCube (first February, NPD) - 78K
Wii U (first February) - 64K to 66K

Yikes. That puts it in perspective.

LOL

BlackJace

Well, I can answer it for him instead. NPD officially reported a 40% increase on a weekly basis, and a guy who claimed the Wii U launched worse than the Virtual Boy said it was 80K.

If I had to choose, I'd probably go with 64K.

Oh, well thank you for providing that information. But we're going to have to wait for someone with actually numbers then, right?

Hero

Shadow Dragon sold 250k in the US? And still Nintendo passed on the second DS game? Wtf? I've been under the impression that SD also flopped financially, but it actually reached numbers most other Japanese games of its kind would be glad to achieve.

Probably a ton of those were sold at bomba bin prices and 250K is probably close to its total print run. I remember seeing them fill bargain bins at Best Buy and shit back in the day. Retailers probably wouldn't have ordered the second one.

Top Bottom