• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2013 [Up5: Dead Space 3, Crysis 3, Official PS3/WiiU]

legend166

Wii U is looking ugly.

No idea what Nintendo is doing. Their release schedule is just anaemic. I like Iwata, and he's done a good job turning around the 3DS, but someone has to take the blame for the complete lack of software on the system. There hasn't been a single release of note since launch.

Till it's proven an aggressive pricecut will not due anything?
How aggressive? It would probably need to match the 3DS on price, and even then the handheld market is still waning.

I really don't see the resolve at Sony to eat that sort of cost. It's not a valuable enough market; and in general the handheld line has never seemed as much of a priority.

VICI0US

I have no doubt they'd continue to do this whether FE sold well digitally or not.
Just look at all of the $100 copies of Xenoblade Chronicles out there.

err.. you mean the second had transactions that nintendo sees absolutely no profit whatsoever from?

why would nintendo intentionally undership games and force people to purchase second hand, where they see no profit, when they could produce more copies and actually make money?

the undershipping on purpose conspiracy theory makes little sense.

Orayn

Wii U sales begin the long, arduous trek from utterly terrible to really bad. The path is fraught with danger, but I believe they may one day claw their way from bad to mediocre.

prag16

Banned
If Wii U only sold 80K, and the Nintendo Ecosystem hit 445K, what the hell did the others do? That's not a small number, that's a large number? Why is the Wii still selling!?
This... doesn't add up... especially not with the 64k number... even if the 3DS did as much as 250k.

Hmm, with all the comment on Wii U. Vita seems neglected.

How long can it piddle along at 35K a month before retailers stop bothering to carry it?

As long as it takes for them to sell off whatever stock they have left. Your average big box store is selling like 1 per month right now so it might take a while if they ordered like 10 per store for the holiday season.

haha, I love people hyped about 64K. That's 64K for a brand new system, thats still horrific.

It's the lowest first February for ANY new home console released in the past decade. All it takes is a quick look at historical performance to see why 64K is a BAD number, even if it is "40% increase from January."

Wiz

The good thing about Wii U is it can't do any worse. Games are actually coming out next week.

Verendus

Banned
Disastrous, disappointing numbers for DmC.
To be fair, DMC was never a really strong franchise. The poor PR handling, rubbing a portion of the dedicated fanbase the wrong way, Ninja Theory (basically failures) destined the game to be a disaster.

Soriku

"Nintendo ecosystem" is some Sony PR shit lol.

Very good Fire Emblem sales. I wish they'd have shipped more copies so I can get it for less than $40. /cheap-ass

But you know, dumb NoA has to screw up the launch. It's good for them that the sales weren't disappointing as a result.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
We'll have to always wonder what effect Rayman Legends could have had on WiiU hardware sales last month. Definitely wouldnt have made the charts this NPD though, so Yves made the right but painful call.

DEADEVIL

Are you getting these numbers from the banned site?

Collectively, look around for where preorders on the net from the Amazons to whatever site you like and then look at the results come NPD day and it always matches up.

Gears of War: Judgement will do fine and the preorders will jump in it's last week. But in the end, Bioshock with it's delayed release will top the charts when it all said and done.

Whether, Gears can top God of War will be interesting as GOW: A is the first big franchise to release on the PS3 in well over a year.

Will be interesting if TR beats Bioshock Infinite compared.

Loved Tomb Raider but I can't see it happening at least on the 360 side.

But then again, most gamers aren't spend 300 dallars in games this month like I am. This is almost as bad as the fourth quarter.

I'm curious to see if the 360 drops another 300+ month in sales through March. Now people see why it was smart like the UK PR talked about to still worry about people going into the stores right now and not jump the gun announcing the NextBox so early.

-Eddman-

Fire Emblem could have sold A LOT more if they actually shipped some copies of the damn game to stores. Still nowhere to be found here in Mexico, even those stores that import from the US sell it at ridiculous prices.

And I still refuse to pay the US$64.00 they ask for it in the national eshop without a proper account system. Fuck NOA :(

Guevara

Where's that Iwata quote "if we do as bad as the Gamecube, we've failed" something like that.

Edit:

"I do not intend to declare how many Wii we will be selling today, but Wii will be a failure if it cannot sell far more than GameCube did. In fact, we shouldn't continue this business if our only target is to outsell GameCube. Naturally, we are making efforts so that Wii will show a far greater result than GameCube."

This... doesn't add up... especially not with the 64k number... even if the 3DS did as much as 250k.
The Wii and NDS are still selling.

Something like:
Wii U = 64K
Wii = 100K
NDS = 100K
3DS = 191K
Nintendo Ecosystem = 455K

Is perfectly plausible.
As long as it takes for them to sell off whatever stock they have left. Your average big box store is selling like 1 per month right now so it might take a while if they ordered like 10 per store for the holiday season.
If they were trying to clear the stock faster though, wouldn't they just sell at cost and get rid of it?

antitrop

To be fair, DMC was never a really strong franchise. The poor PR handling, rubbing a portion of the dedicated fanbase the wrong way, Ninja Theory (basically failures) destined the game to be a disaster.
Oh, I know. I was here for the NPD thread last month and the DmC OT where we saw the whole break down of the sales of every DMC game.

The sales drop from 4 -> DmC is nothing short of embarrassing. Which sucks, because in terms of quality they are about equal, I might even give a slight edge to DmC.

Gartooth

Thoughts:

• Wow Nintendo must have completely undershipped Fire Emblem, based on the reaction to it I thought it would have sold much better and at least charted.
  • Wish Metal Gear Rising sold more, hope we still get a sequel.
  • Don't know whether to fist pump that Sly made it to the #9 spot, or weep for video game sales being horrid. At least people bought the game! (really good game too, only things about it that were bad was the overabundance of minigames and the shitty quick time event final boss.

UberTag

err.. you mean the second had transactions that nintendo sees absolutely no profit whatsoever from?

why would nintendo intentionally undership games and force people to purchase second hand, where they see no profit, when they could produce more copies and actually make money?

the undershipping on purpose conspiracy theory makes little sense.
Oh I'm not saying they wouldn't rather make money.
I just feel NOA is extremely risk-averse when it comes to ANYTHING that doesn't have Mario in it which means that under-shipping is the easy out.
Especially when you're offering a digital safety net for their niche titles to recoup any retail volume they missed out on.

If the digital sales are robust, they'll do another print run and get more copies out to stores.
That will be the case for FE: Awakening and any other non-AAA titles they release going forward.

ohlawd

come on NoA, promote the crap out of Fire Emblem: Awakening.

I want to see that masterpiece sell 5 million copies in retail.

holy shit! Dead space 3 at number 1!!!!

I thought it had bombed and EA had killed the series! I guess making it a dude bro shooter worked out for EA

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Where's that Iwata quote "if we do as bad as the Gamecube, we've failed" something like that.

Hey Iwata, guess what, you're not doing as bad as the Gamecube.

(You are doing worse, who would have thought that was possible.)

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
This is the most shocking thing.
Jeeze NoA.
Not really shocking. They shipped 250k of SD, it sold poorly and Nintendo basically said "fuck this declining series; it only sold well on the GBA!"

Even for Awakening they were obviously rather cautious: hence the undershipping and the lack of a localization announcement until it was pulled out of them.

I think it had more to do with the game coming out in the second half of 2010 in Japan.

Partially, but NoA still shipped equally niche games in 2011 that came out in 2010. And it still wouldn't explain why NoE didn't try to bring it over either.

The answer is likely a combination of poor sales and poor timing.

Kusagari

I still don't get how Nintendo has nothing ready to release.

If Iwata should be fired for anything, it's for apparently having Nintendo do nothing in the years leading up to Wii U. Wii was basically abandoned, with everyone theorizing they were gearing up for a massive launch lineup for Wii U, and they still have nothing.

Bruno MB

[PS2] Sly 2: Band of Thieves - 119,539 units (September 2004)
[PS2] Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves - 104,018 units (October 2005)
[PS3 + PSV] Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time - At least over 117,000 units (February 2013)

Edit: Now that I think I have a doubt with regards to Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves which was released in September 26, 2005. I don't know the report sales period for NPD of September 2005 so I don't know if it was included there. The figure I provided is from October 2005 assuming that it was its first month of tracking.

In the case that its sales were reported in the NPD of September, it debuted selling below 49,000 units. Hopefully someone will be able to solve my doubt.

Edit:

"I do not intend to declare how many Wii we will be selling today, but Wii will be a failure if it cannot sell far more than GameCube did. In fact, we shouldn't continue this business if our only target is to outsell GameCube. Naturally, we are making efforts so that Wii will show a far greater result than GameCube."

well...yeah. the GC only sold 20M. anything less than that is saturn territory.

Striek

If Wii U only sold 80K, and the Nintendo Ecosystem hit 445K, what the hell did the others do? That's not a small number, that's a large number? Why is the Wii still selling!?

3DS had a pretty large rise last year from Jan-> Feb. I think it did one better this year.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Nice sales for Fire Emblem, more than I expected.

And Shadow Dragon's LTD is so much higher than I ever would have guessed.

Turok_TTZ

*looks at fire emblem sales*
I am ashamed to be an american. most of my fellow americans are nothing but unappreciative dudebro wankers who don't know a quality game even if I could shove one up so far up their own arse... I do not care whether it's retail launch was botched, the eshop is there for a reason, use it.

No wonder NoA don't import from japan much. :/
bless the souls who did buy the game.

tl;dr hey america your taste in gaming is bad and you should feel bad! oh and FUUU!

*goes back to play FE: Awakening*

Tookay

I still don't get how Nintendo has nothing ready to release.

If Iwata should be fired for anything, it's for apparently having Nintendo do nothing in the years leading up to Wii U. Wii was basically abandoned, with everyone theorizing they were gearing up for a massive launch lineup for Wii U, and they still have nothing.

That's the most aggravating part of this.

We have basically nothing to look forward to, until fall - a full year after launch.

It's starting to feel like Nintendo is a "holiday season-only" kind of company, especially with regards to its consoles.

Bullza2o

Fucking unbelievable the ratio of downloads for Fire Emblem! :D
Yeah I was a victim of Nintendo's eShop scheme. I wanted a box...
Looks OK for FE, but if the launch was better then it would have fared better.

The Wii and NDS are still selling.

Something like:
Wii U = 64K
Wii = 100K
NDS = 100K
3DS = 191K
Nintendo Ecosystem = 455K

Is perfectly plausible.
If they were trying to clear the stock faster though, wouldn't they just sell at cost and get rid of it?

I really don't like this picture, that the Wii and DS are still have a strong presence.

Perhaps its time for Nintendo to kill the switch for DS later in the year?

Korigama

10 million LTD worldwide for the original series, and placing in the top 5 of Capcom's most successful franchises, wasn't strong? I acknowledge that Devil May Cry was never as big as Metal Gear, but that doesn't excuse DmC's failure.

test_account

XP-39C²
holy shit! Dead space 3 at number 1!!!!

I thought it had bombed and EA had killed the series! I guess making it a dude bro shooter worked out for EA
Dead Space 3 isnt more of a dude bro shooter than Dead Space 1 and 2 in my opinion (i've played and beaten Dead Space 1, 2 and 3).

Overreaction much? Yes it's quite bad but not disastrous. Disastrous would've been >57k.
t7e68b3_arnold_not_sure_if_serious_gif.gif

I didn't realise the arbitrary cut-off point for disastrous was 57K.

I really don't like this picture, that the Wii and DS are still have a strong presence.
Both sold more than the Wii U in January as well iirc.

Top Bottom