• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2013 [Up5: Dead Space 3, Crysis 3, Official PS3/WiiU]

EagleEyes

Why are people shocked that Sly did decent? They gave away the Vita version for free plus it was budget priced at 39.99. Sony has their core group that are always aware of exclusive games that come out.

[PS2] Sly 2: Band of Thieves - 119,539 units (September 2004)
[PS2] Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves - 104,018 units (October 2005)
[PS3] Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time - At least over 117,000 units (February 2013)

With Sony's refusal to even admit the existance of this game, I'd say that's a pretty good result.

Where's that Iwata quote "if we do as bad as the Gamecube, we've failed" something like that.

Edit:

"I do not intend to declare how many Wii we will be selling today, but Wii will be a failure if it cannot sell far more than GameCube did. In fact, we shouldn't continue this business if our only target is to outsell GameCube. Naturally, we are making efforts so that Wii will show a far greater result than GameCube."

But he's talking about the Wii, not the Wii U.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

This is honestly the most amazing thing to me out of anything this month.

Maybe Sony was vindicated in spending literally $0 marketing this game.

BlackJace

t7e68b3_arnold_not_sure_if_serious_gif.gif

I didn't realise the arbitrary cut-off point for disastrous was 57K.
I meant that doing worse than last month numbers :/

this is also extremely surprising. I thought Sony didn't market the game and it was sent to die. Very surprising month this!

UberTag

Will be interesting if TR beats Bioshock Infinite compared.
Tomb Raider will have 5 weeks of sales versus Bioshock Infinite's 2 weeks.
Depends on how monstrous of an ad campaign Take-Two unleashes for this beast.
I know better than to underestimate them in that department.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Haha, DmC.

*claps*

Don't fuck with shit we like! Make new shit so we can like that shit and then become religiously protective of it!

A small but decent jump for WiiU compared to last month and that's with no new games. It should hit at least 80 - 100k in March with the release of Lego City and Monster Hunter then it has Game & Wario, Wii Fit U, Pikmin 3 and possibly W-101 in April / May / June.

Replicant

I'm kinda hoping we do get that new data morsel we supposedly got last month out of last month's NPD wrap up. How many returned WiiU's did it take to offset a larger number? 20k to reach Pachter's 80?

vIvfvQE.jpg

DYIIIIIING!

But doesn't that mean that poor guy just wasted $600 ($150 x 4)? o_O; IIRC, that's how much it'd cost to replace one of them controllers.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Oh I'm not saying they wouldn't rather make money.
I just feel NOA is extremely risk-averse when it comes to ANYTHING that doesn't have Mario in it which means that under-shipping is the easy out.
Especially when you're offering a digital safety net for their niche titles to recoup any retail volume they missed out on.

If the digital sales are robust, they'll do another print run and get more copies out to stores.
That will be the case for FE: Awakening and any other non-AAA titles they release going forward.

Name a case of Nintendo undershipping a game other than Awakening and Xenoblade (and Xenoblade is an obvious exception regardless).

Undershipping is not a viable strategy for anything: it loses money for the publisher and retailer and annoys the consumer. No one wins when a product is undershipped like this.

And yes Nintendo is risk-averse. But the point of all those marketers they hire is to determine the correct shipment of a game to produce and to sell it to retailers. Not simple give up and say "oh we'll just purposely undership, that's a great strategy to boost download sales!"

Galang

Banned
Great Sly Cooper and Fire Emblem sales. Glad to see them both do well.

Awakening selling 70% of Shadow Dragon's sale in the first month is incredible. Hopefully they have more faith in the franchise next time.

DaBoss

How aggressive? It would probably need to match the 3DS on price, and even then the handheld market is still waning.

I really don't see the resolve at Sony to eat that sort of cost. It's not a valuable enough market; and in general the handheld line has never seemed as much of a priority.

$60-$80 I think would be aggressive.

I don't think Sony is going to put much effort in the west since it doesn't seem to help in the long-term.

A small but decent jump for WiiU compared to last month and that's with no new games. It should hit at least 80 - 100k in March with the release of Lego City and Monster Hunter then it has Game & Wario, Wii Fit U, Pikmin 3 and possibly W-101 in April / May / June.

I'd just like to point out that it's now behind the PS360 launch aligned, so you can't lean on that crutch anymore ;)

UberTag

That's not an entirely accurate number on an individual SKU basis as there are retail Vita sales numbers contributing to that >117,000 figure.

Still very impressive, though.

Azure J

Iwata must be ecstatic. He wanted a system with very low power draw because you know that's what gamers care about. Not only did he achieve his goal but with the numbers wiiu is pulling the overall environmental impact is tiny. Huge success, give yourself a pat on the back.

GAF has been fucking amazing with the wit lately. :lol

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
DYIIING!

But doesn't that mean that poor guy just wasted $600 ($150 x 4)? o_O; IIRC, that's how much it'd cost to replace one of them controllers.

I like to think he's a hapless Walmart employee (due to the meme's heritage), or Gamestop if they don't do returns.

But he's talking about the Wii, not the Wii U.

Well, I'm pretty sure Iwata's WiiU peptalk wasn't "if we fall behind even Gamecube, its okay. Its fine. We'll keep doing consoles."

nbthedude

No, it's not a jump since last month it was hit with returns.

It's actually a steady decline in increase.

Wii U is flatlining fast and hard in only four months.

Nintendo has failed

But the reason for failure is still yet to be determined. If they actually decide to release a game, will Wii U sell in line with PS3 and 360? One would hope.

That's the most aggravating part of this.

We have basically nothing to look forward to, until fall - a full year after launch.

It's starting to feel like Nintendo is a "holiday season-only" kind of company, especially with regards to its consoles.
You're skipping the summer releases?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
*looks at fire emblem sales*
I am ashamed to be an american. most of my fellow americans are nothing but unappreciative dudebro wankers who don't know a quality game even if I could shove one up so far up their own arse... I do not care whether it's retail launch was botched, the eshop is there for a reason, use it.

No wonder NoA don't import from japan much. :/
bless the souls who did buy the game.

tl;dr hey america your taste in gaming is bad and you should feel bad! oh and FUUU!

*goes back to play FE: Awakening*

But it sold really well...

Derrick01

Banned
So what's releasing next on Vita that may give it a healthier January?

MLB is big on PS3 so maybe it'll give Vita a small bump, or at least the Vita version of the game might sell pretty well. Soul Sacrifice is coming in April but I doubt that'll do well in the west.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
To be fair, DMC was never a really strong franchise. The poor PR handling, rubbing a portion of the dedicated fanbase the wrong way, Ninja Theory (basically failures) destined the game to be a disaster.

Yes, but DMC never caused an extinction event for a console life-cycle generation like Donte must Cry did from bombing into the Earth so hard.

Yes, this generation would've ended this year anyway. I'm making a joke, settle down.

Anyway, good to see Metal Gear Raiden chart. Not because of Platinum, who made a solid title under rushment but because it shows that gamers want decent action games with inoffensive to their sensibilities characters.

Sly being up there is surprising. I didn't think most platformers outside of Mario charted/did decent numbers. Guess the HD re-release and cross-buy talk helped?

I'd just like to point out that it's now behind the PS360 launch aligned, so you can't lean on that crutch anymore ;)

Times have changed quite a bit since 2005, I seriously hope to see all you sales dorks on here this time next year when PS4 and the 720 sell no better than WiiU in it's launch window :D.

AniHawk

it wouldn't be a small miracle or anything if the wii u increased during february with no games but it's at least surprising.

same with the vita. i think the vita at least will be able to find itself some sort of market, maybe even sell around 10m in the us by the time sony pulls the plug. kinda like how systems used to sell before playstation was a brand.

fire emblem did pretty damn well for itself. it'll shouldn't have a problem breaking a million worldwide. if the first american/european fire emblem didn't do that, then it'll also be the best-selling game in the series.

Times have changed quite a bit since 2005, I seriously hope to see all you sales dorks on here this time next year when PS4 and the 720 sell no better than WiiU in it's launch window :D.

i have problems believing both will be under 100k in the first two months following the holidays.

SmokyDave

Who'd have thought that the successor to the Wii would be bombing everywhere? The US numbers are bad, the Japanese numbers are bad and the European numbers can probably be counted on the fingers of one foot.

It'll pick up at some point, but I don't think anyone expected it to limp out of the gate like this.

I still don't get how Nintendo has nothing ready to release.

If Iwata should be fired for anything, it's for apparently having Nintendo do nothing in the years leading up to Wii U. Wii was basically abandoned, with everyone theorizing they were gearing up for a massive launch lineup for Wii U, and they still have nothing.

Revisit this thought at e3. They wanted the head start but they also wanted to announce their biggest moves after the MS and Sony announcements -- and they rushed. Hence no retro game, 3d mario etc. If e3 comes and they haven't started punching out great announcements that's the time people should REALLY worry and consider calling for his head.

They need to somehow convert people still buying Wii and DS to the new systems too... They really need to wean them out of stock and lower the Wii U price IMO.

[PS3 + PSV] Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time - At least over 117,000 units (February 2013)

So pretty much best debut ever fo Sly. Glorious.

Top Bottom