• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2014 [Up2: PS4/XB1/Wii U/360 Hardware, BD/Poke/DK]

What's the running worldwide total now? I'm on mobile and don't really now a good search to find out

With only official numbers it would be

PS4: 6 million WW as of March 2nd
XB1: 3 million WW as of Dec. 31st + 143K US + 258K US = 3.401M at least

Going off previous WW splits, US usually accounts for 60% of WW XB1 sales

So 143K for Jan US -> 238K total Jan WW, 258K for Feb US -> 430K for total Feb WW

Unofficially XB1 might've sold around 3.67M WW as of March 1st

Uff duh

Banned
I am new to these NPD reports but seeing people talk about Titanfall or Infamous selling better its kinda a unfair wager right? Cause the install base of potential buyers for Titanfall crosses 3 platforms to Infamous being a PS4 exclusive. I think that they are both great games but I for one would buy Infamous if I had a PS4 or it came out for PC. But I am just one case of a potential buyer that would but cant? So really sales wise until the Install base of the platforms and games are equal its not to scientific. If I am wrong enlighten me please.

crazyprac

I don't know if Sony has been sitting on Consoles in warehouses, but it is mighty convenient stores are getting huge shipments, like the largest since holidays, the week of Infamous and MGS.

And it makes sense. You want to be able to sell consoles the week of your first big releases since holidays.

What's the point in holding stock if the demand already stripped supply since launch?

jayu26

I am new to these NPD reports but seeing people talk about Titanfall or Infamous selling better its kinda a unfair wager right? Cause the install base of potential buyers for Titanfall crosses 3 platforms to Infamous being a PS4 exclusive. I think that they are both great games but I for one would buy Infamous if I had a PS4 or it came out for PC. But I am just one case of a potential buyer that would but cant? So really sales wise until the Install base of the platforms and games are equal its not to scientific. If I am wrong enlighten me please.

When we talk about that, we are comparing Xbone version of TitanFall versus Infamous :)

Busaiku

That doesnt include digital, the game has been on sale many times on the eShop and is much more digital friendly

Plus digital it prob is
And given everything we know about digital sakes of 3DS and Wii U games, the ratio's probably similar.
It's very unlikely that it's 50% digital on Wii U.

So I heard you guys need PS3 sales.

PS3 February 2013:

PS3 February 2014:
-61% YOY
93% MOM

PS3 + PS4 = 371K

PS4 number in OP is a bit high, don't trust it 100%
Can you figure it out? ;-)

And some tie ratio comparisons:
Microsoft is still ahead of PS4, presumably because of PS4's free-to-play games not tracked by NPD:

Thanks for all the numbers, can you give us fable anniversary, thief and pvz garden warfare numbers if possible?

Also if you have ryse, dr3, forza and zoo tycoon updated figures that would be interesting too. Sorry I'm asking a lot!

C4Lukins

After mulling it over a bit more, I don't think Microsoft will win March.

• I think that lots of people who really wants Titanfall has got one for the Beta, and are thus included in Februrary NPD.
  • Infamous: Second Son will boost PS4's sales.
  • Lots of rumors of Sony boosting supplies in March.
  • Two PS4 bundles are selling better at Gamestop than the 2 Titanfall bundles. (http://www.gamestop.com/browse/consoles?nav=28-xu0,13ffff2412)

It might be close, but I still see Sony as the winner of March.

Unless Microsoft shows that the Secret Sauce can deliver, or they do a heavy (
Kinect-less
) price cut, they'll still be second.

I doubt it. Infamous has always done well, and it looks amazing. But when anyone sees that main character, I think they will be instantly repelled by the douchieness. I do not want to play as that guy no matter how amazing the world around me is. Hey guys have you ever wanted to be a superhero version of Chris Klein. Ever?

Mostly kidding. It just does not have the hype of Titanfall. Titanfall looks like the next Gears, Infamous looks like the next Infamous. If you were not on board with the previous games, it is just not going to sell you the system. It is something that current PS4 owners will buy. But it is not an event, which is maybe Sonys fault as far as marketing. And while supplies have been limited for PS4 in the US, it is nothing like the crazy ass 3 years of Wii.

Uff duh

Banned
When we talk about that, we are comparing Xbone version of TitanFall versus Infamous :)

Cool Thanks. Where do you get the breakdown number for each individual platform software sales? Is that tracked? I am curious to see how well games sell on PC.

C4Lukins

After mulling it over a bit more, I don't think Microsoft will win March.

• I think that lots of people who really wants Titanfall has got one for the Beta, and are thus included in Februrary NPD.
  • Infamous: Second Son will boost PS4's sales.
  • Lots of rumors of Sony boosting supplies in March.
  • Two PS4 bundles are selling better at Gamestop than the 2 Titanfall bundles. (http://www.gamestop.com/browse/consoles?nav=28-xu0,13ffff2412)

It might be close, but I still see Sony as the winner of March.

Unless Microsoft shows that the Secret Sauce can deliver, or they do a heavy (
Kinect-less
) price cut, they'll still be second.

I doubt it. Infamous has always done well, and it looks amazing. But when anyone sees that main character, I think they will be instantly repelled by the douchieness. I do not want to play as that guy no matter how amazing the world around me is. Hey guys have you ever wanted to be a superhero version of Chris Klein. Ever?

Mostly kidding. It just does not have the hype of Titanfall. Titanfall looks like the next Gears, Infamous looks like the next Infamous. If you were not on board with the previous games, it is just not going to sell you the system. It is something that current PS4 owners will buy. But it is not an event, which is maybe Sonys fault as far as marketing. And while supplies have been limited for PS4 in the US, it is nothing like the crazy ass 3 years of Wii.

MS has this one month. Maybe it will never happen again, but they have March of 2014.

TyrantII

As of March 2nd

PS4: 6M
XBone: 3.6M (Based on the premise that 2/3 of 2014 sales come from US)

If this ratio holds, it's the only reason I think Infamous might have a chance with Titanfall (XB1 only of course)

It's just a matter of numbers, and people are done with Killzone. They want next gen reference material to work out their purchase and Infamous is that.

Thanks for all the numbers, can you give us fable anniversary, thief and pvz garden warfare numbers if possible?

Also if you have ryse, dr3, forza and zoo tycoon updated figures that would be interesting too. Sorry I'm asking a lot!

i'll choose one of those numbers

...PvZ Garden Warfare: ~120K

It's the same with web search, news search and youtube hits. I'm sure Infamous will sell well, the past two did and there isn't much on PS4 at the moment but it will be dwarfed by Titanfall.

? Infamous is going to bw huge, it will sell way more then any other infamous game and wont be dwarfed by ttianfall at all. Wouldnt be surprised in WW infamous outsells TF.

Sean

Banned
Why do you think that these things exist? So much data is collected in so many different ways and, yes, youtube views are part of it. I don't even think that's a stretch. If people are watching commercials for games on youtube they are interested in seeing said game. It seems to me to be a pretty accurate gauge to find out interest. But it's more than that. It's google searches. It's twitter mentions. It's preorder numbers. It's views on their own stores. They take all of this data and can usually tell when a game is going to do well and when it isn't. Most of the time a game "is sent out to die" it's because they studied all this info and came to the conclusion "no one gives a fuck about this game, don't waste marketing money on it."

The times they are a changin'.

You can't use YouTube views as a metric when Sony heavily advertises and pays for pre-roll ads there. (Not just them obviously, all publishers/companies do as well). Unless you use adblock, you're forced to watch those videos whether you're "interested" in said game or not. Here's a random IGN video I just clicked on that had a forced, unskippable Infamous Second Son preroll ad before it:

qPRAD9q.png

And here's the video on YouTube with nearly 5 million views in less than a week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHzh96ehv4A those are obviously not "legit" views of people seeking out the game organically. Look at the Playstation channel and the average upload has less than 100k views and these Infamous videos are getting ~3-4m each.

I'm sure Second Son will be very successful, but stuff like YouTube views and Facebook likes should never be used to gauge hype for anything as most of the time those are paid for as part of ad campaigns.

MS has this one month. Maybe it will never happen again, but they have March of 2014.

TF is nothing like gears. Gears was in the second year of xbox life on a cheaper system, had an epic campaign, co-op, and was a graphics showcase for next gen.

TF is much more limited in it's appeal, and wont come close to gears.

Infamous looks a lot better then just infamous, looks like the series took a big leap, TF looks like a last gen game with limited modes, and really is mroe of the same MP gameplay.

Sky Chief

You can't use YouTube views as a metric when Sony heavily advertises and pays for pre-roll ads there. (Not just them obviously, all publishers/companies do as well). Unless you use adblock, you're forced to watch those videos whether you're "interested" in said game or not. Here's a random IGN video I just clicked on that had a forced, unskippable Infamous Second Son preroll ad before it:

qPRAD9q.png

And here's the video on YouTube with nearly 5 million views in less than a week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHzh96ehv4A those are obviously not "legit" views of people seeking out the game organically. Look at the Playstation channel and the average upload has less than 100k views and these Infamous videos are getting ~3-4m each.

I'm sure Second Son will be very successful, but stuff like YouTube views and Facebook likes should never be used to gauge hype for anything as most of the time those are paid for as part of ad campaigns.

Ugh, what is the point of live action commercials especially when the game looks so good on its own

TF is nothing like gears. Gears was in the second year of xbox life on a cheaper system, had an epic campaign, co-op, and was a graphics showcase for next gen.

Infamous looks a lot better then just infamous, looks like the series took a big leap, TF looks like a last gen game with limited modes, and really is mroe of the same MP gameplay.
Titanfall has some heavy duty marketing with it.

On Demand

Banned
Sony is always quite. They do bad they don't say anything, they do very well they still don't say anything. Even Nintendo has a PR for NPD.

I'm going to ignore the "more of the same" to hone in on one question - outside of graphics, how exactly has Second Son taken a big leap?
I'm interested because I liked the first two games but I haven't seen anything other than a prettier version of games I already like.

What have you seen?

LuchaShaq

Banned
So I heard you guys need PS3 sales.

PS3 February 2013:

PS3 February 2014:
-61% YOY
93% MOM

PS3 + PS4 = 371K

PS4 number in OP is a bit high, don't trust it 100%

Can you figure it out? ;-)

And some tie ratio comparisons:

Microsoft is still ahead of PS4, presumably because of PS4's free-to-play games not tracked by NPD:

Launch month:

XB1 tie ratio = 1.98
PS4 tie ratio = 1.89

Launch through January:

XB1 tie ratio = 2.71
PS4 tie ratio = 2.11

Launch through February:

XB1 tie ratio = 2.75
PS4 tie ratio = 2.18

Assuming tie ratio doesn't count digital games or at least digital non 60$ games?

I'm going to ignore the "more of the same" to hone in on one question - outside of graphics, how exactly has Second Son taken a big leap?
I'm interested because I likes the first two games but I haven't seen anything other than a prettier version of games I already like.

What have you seen?

Power of the beanie, brah

Assuming tie ratio doesn't count digital games or at least digital non 60$ games?

I see no reason why MS or Sony wouldn't include either of those? Digital games are definitely in there for sure

I dunno man. TitanFall is an event because MS made it one with there big marketing campaign. They keep giving away bundles and dropping prices to clear stock and plastering TF everywhere. Consumers might be aware of something (God of War Ascension super bowl commercial) and if have little impact on overall sales. With the strong reviews, TF is in good standing with word-of-mouth and enthusiasts, but I'm not sure a MP only game is just going to blow Infamous out of the water, who the heck doesn't understand the concept of playing as a super hero?

Seahawk fans will love Infamous too '-)

Not sure why there would be a February bump for the Xbone for Titanfall. Why not wait for March and get the bundle?

The bundle wasn't announced until 24th. And the beta might have caused some to bite and buy early.

Also, the bump is not solely Titanfall. Pvz may not be a million seller, but exclusives always help to increase hardware sales.

I'm interested because I liked the first two games but I haven't seen anything other than a prettier version of games I already like.

What have you seen?
reading the threads from people who watched the spoilers, seems production value and overall story telling quality have gone up considerably. Some even saying TLOU levels. Along with how Delsin feels to control, the animation/graphically increase in quality, I'd say that's pretty substantial if it delivers throughout the rest of the game.

A super hero story, is a course less dramatic as what TLOU displayed, but still a good story is very appealing. Twitch will have a big help in making SP games last longer as well by sharing the story with larger communities.

terrisus

I have to say I am shocked - and absolutely thrilled - to see how well Bravely Default did.

It's my Game of the Year so far, and the best game Square-Enix has put out since Dragon Quest IX.
I really, really hope we can start seeing more amazing RPGs like this.

TyrantII

Titanfall has some heavy duty marketing with it.

Can't be said enough.

My Local News had a bit on it Wednesday morning with the other quick b-roll stuff. Heck, the only time they cover video-games is when it relates to a Murder, a Trial, or some hair-brained study.

It was favorable too.

reading the threads from people who watched the spoilers, seems production value and overall story telling quality have gone up considerably. Some even saying TLOU levels. Along with how Delsin feels to control, the animation/graphically increase in quality, I'd say that's pretty substantial if it delivers throughout the rest of the game.

A super hero story, is a course less dramatic as what TLOU displayed, but still a good story is very appealing. Twitch will have a big help in making SP games last longer as well by sharing the story with larger communities.

I hope that's the case because that stuff was very weak in the first two games. But man, Sucker Punch hasn't done a good job convincing me that Delsin is likable at all.

It's still a tad disappointing that the actual game looks so similar once you get past the pretties.

Top Bottom