• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2014 [Up2: PS4/XB1/Wii U/360 Hardware, BD/Poke/DK]

I went from 360 only to PS4 only, and I like to think there's more people like me out there as well.

I went from owning both the 360 and PS3 to owning both the XB1 and PS4. Though the interesting thing was that I bought the PS4 because of the price and I bought the XB1 because I thought it had a much more compelling Launch Window Lineup.

C4Lukins

I'm kind of wondering why Microsoft is bundling in Forza/Titanfall now. Sales seem to be doing well enough?

Forza is a micro transaction goldmine and Titanfall is hyped as the next big thing. They cannot make the hardware cheaper and maintain profitability, so they package a game like Forza where there is no actual cost to making it free, and hope that people invest in the game further.

Titanfall, who the hell knows how all that works. EA funded the game, with a startup studio of proven folk. MS pays for exclusivity, which who knows what the details of that are. I am guessing the amount MS has invested in the project makes the actual cost of paying EA and Respawn very low in the end when it comes to packaged XOne consoles.

So EA funded the game, MS probably payed for all of the marketing plus whatever else. Respawn is dancing in their pajamas with a guaranteed percentage at the end. That is how I imagine the whole scenario. Could be complete bullshit. I also imagine Respawn owns the iP. Anybody know anything about that? They were in a position to dictate terms I assume. Breathing in their farts was an honor for the big wigs. I imagine the Bungie deals are similar.

Metallix87

Ah yes I always forget about handheld pricing. It's almost as if handhelds got a next gen tax on software much like the bump from PS2/GCN/XB -> PS360/Wii transition

I wonder if its a publisher reaction to the used market or increased dev cost on handhelds?

Still seems idiotic to hamstring the entire market with those prices

I actually blame the PSP for the pricing. PSP launched back in 2005, PSP launched at $249.99 and it's games were retailing for $39.99, and guess what? The system sold relatively well at launch, and it seemed like it could potentially topple the Nintendo DS, despite it launching at $149.99 and having games retailing at $29.99 - $34.99. I think both Nintendo and Sony looked to the PSP's early success when determining how to price their handhelds right out of the gate.

Darksol

damn these posts are so cryptic for me! I just cant comprehend..

Mask_Salesman_rage.gif

175k < 3ds + vita < 180k =

The 3DS and Vita sales put together are more than 175,000 sold but less than 180,000 sold.

heidern

It's more than just the hardware price. It's the price of software, as well. The sweet spot for handheld game prices seems to be $19.99 - $29.99. The new norm of $34.99 - $49.99 is just ridiculous, and clearly hurting the market, alongside the prices of the hardware.

As for the library, the fact that we're in March, and there's only going to be two major notable releases this year in the West by the end of the month (Bravely Default and Yoshi's New Island) is absurd. The fact that Nintendo seems to be the only one supporting the system in the West despite it's huge success speaks volumes about how dire the situation is.

If the release list has been weak and there hasn't been a hardware price cut for over 2.5 years along with high software prices then a 20% fall in hardware isn't that bad. Software sales were up 6% in January and 25% in February so that says clearly that the situation isn't dire and that money can be made on the software. Publishers need to adapt and find ways to cater to the market, Nintendo need to try and do so in a way that attracts new buyers and at some point help out with a price cut too.

Tripon

I actually blame the PSP for the pricing. PSP launched back in 2005, PSP launched at $249.99 and it's games were retailing for $39.99, and guess what? The system sold relatively well at launch, and it seemed like it could potentially topple the Nintendo DS, despite it launching at $149.99 and having games retailing at $29.99 - $34.99. I think both Nintendo and Sony looked to the PSP's early success when determining how to price their handhelds right out of the gate.

You can bet 3rd parties pushed hard for across the board price increases.

Metallix87

You can bet 3rd parties pushed hard for across the board price increases.

Absolutely, the blame can be spread all around, but as I said, I think PSP launching the way it did and proving that success could be had at that price point definitely motivated people, from both first party and third party companies, to push the prices of hardware and software higher this time around.

heidern

Absolutely, the blame can be spread all around, but as I said, I think PSP launching the way it did and proving that success could be had at that price point definitely motivated people, from both first party and third party companies, to push the prices of hardware and software higher this time around.

The 3DS also proved that success couldn't be had at that price point for Nintendo when they were forced into their emergency price cut early on. They won't make the same mistake next time around.

coldfoot

Banned
I'd also like famousmortimer to explain, why EA would "apologize" to Sony. They made a bad business decision and lost more in potential profits, but I don't really see why they'd actually apologize.
I'm pretty sure EA is looking to release TitanFall + campaign, called TitanDrop ASAP, they'd release it this Xmas if Respawn could finish it in time, but that's unlikely.

Metallix87

The 3DS also proved that success couldn't be had at that price point for Nintendo and their emergency price cut early on. They won't make the same mistake next time around.

Indeed, and I think that's the best thing about the 3DS struggling early on and the Vita struggling now. It's proven that prices for handhelds need to remain low, with the ideal price point clearly being $129.99, and Nintendo will most likely do their best to ensure the 3DS's successor both aims for as close to that price as possible, and also doesn't rely on a non-gaming gimmick to sell.

DNAbro

For DanganRonpa sales, Houk said this in the spoiler thread as far as sales go for NIS.

I'm not sure where those numbers are coming from or what exactly they're including, so I can't really comment on them.

I can say that we're very happy with sales so far and we're hoping this will lead to a long and joyous future with Spike Chunsoft.

I assume this is okay to put here for any wondering people.

PS4 sales...just in!

6. something million +1

Amazon (U.S) got shipment back in! Order the console, a controller, Infamous and MGS:GZ...I'm in that next-gen race baby!

I love you Sony, and March is yours, but next month, I'm so diving into my 3DS. Pokemon X, 2 classic Zelda titles, Bravery Default, Fire Emblem and a hundred of older DS Dragon Quest titles? 3DS is like baby PS2 for gamers with my taste. Goodbye cruel world, I'm back on my gaming ish!

You may be right. There's usually a weakness in every metric. Youtube views are down... but is that because other youtubers have vids of one game and not the other? Is it because in the overwhelming media coverage of TF they saw all the video they needed there?

Google searches... never said that infamous was leading this, but even if they were... does that just mean that titanfall info is easier to find?

Twitter mentions? Again, I didn't say who was ahead (because I don't know). But there can by a myriad of reasons why it's mentioned on twitter, including the debate over the downgrade.

Metrics aren't perfect. All I was trying to say is that people who follow these things have repeated over and over that infamous is going to do very well. They might be wrong and you might be right. I'm not passing judgement. I'm just passing info.

:)

Don't worry dude. I know you mean well.

Its interesting if your sources are right, but I honestly don't believe they will be.

Likewise, long as sony keeps a constant supply I don't think the Xbox one is going to sell significantly more than the PS4 in March . Honestly, I think that titanfall is more selling to an existing base rather than bringing in a new one.

As a New IP and as it was originally pitched by respawn, its doing fantastically well. But as the driver of new Xbox one sales, even with the bundle, I feel it is going to fall flat. I very much doubt March numbers will be much higher than than this month.

With the amount of exposure and Marketing it has got, that has to be worrying for Microsoft.

Indeed, and I think that's the best thing about the 3DS struggling early on and the Vita struggling now. It's proven that prices for handhelds need to remain low, with the ideal price point clearly being $129.99, and Nintendo will most likely do their best to ensure the 3DS's successor both aims for as close to that price as possible, and also doesn't rely on a non-gaming gimmick to sell.
Then Sony shouldn't worry about making another Vita since it is powerful enough for the next 4-6 years with that logic. Just keep updating the hardware. I also wouldn't mind a Playstation tablet running Android, should sale equally if not better than Xperia Z. Maybe they are waiting for PS mobile to mature, but I would just release it with a controller and see what happens.

Metallix87

Then Sony shouldn't worry about making another Vita since it is powerful enough for the next 4-6 years with that logic. Just keep updating the hardware. I also wouldn't mind a Playstation tablet running Android, should sale equally if not better than Xperia Z. Maybe they are waiting for PS mobile to mature, but I would just release it with a controller and see what happens.

I think Sony likely doesn't make another handheld. They'll ride the Vita out, and I'd imagine take what they've learned and apply it to the mobile market in some way. There's very little incentive for Sony to try again, given how badly the Vita has performed, and given the wealth of options that they have. They obviously don't have the development resources to support both systems.

ascii42

Given how Sony's made the PS4 and Vita for each other, if Sony does release another handheld,I don't think it'll be until around the PS5's release.

Metallix87

Given how Sony's made the PS4 and Vita for each other, if Sony does release another handheld,I don't think it'll be until around the PS5's release.

This is a really bizarre way of looking at it. I very much doubt that Sony "made" the PS4 and Vita for each other. They likely just saw the position the Vita was in, and chose to totally tether it to the PS4 as the ultimate peripheral, in the hopes of selling more hardware and recouping their losses on the device.

Oppo

They might not need another handheld, if PS Now becomes a thing.

Green Slime - Sony has said as much; that the Vita was very much designed with the PS4 in mind. Think about the pre production of these things. They have years if overlap.

Biker19

Banned
I'm betting Microsoft hopes Titanfall goes a long way to turning the tide back in their favor, at least in North America and the United Kingdom.

I think that TitanFall will sell a lot of copies on Xbox One due to early adopters, but it's not going to move a lot of Xbox One hardware like Microsoft thinks, especially not at that $500 price tag.

Bailers

I'd also like famousmortimer to explain, why EA would "apologize" to Sony. They made a bad business decision and lost more in potential profits, but I don't really see why they'd actually apologize.
I'm pretty sure EA is looking to release TitanFall + campaign, called TitanDrop ASAP, they'd release it this Xmas if Respawn could finish it in time, but that's unlikely.

EA wants to get some of that PlayStation money now that they know its selling well.

Admit it, practically everything we heard from EA at E3 2013 was they were all in with Microsoft. Almost as if they expected PS4 to crash and burn. It went way beyond early DLC, it was practically in "unprecedented partnership" territory.

GamerJM

Banned
I hope the Wonderful 101 continues its legs just so we can all make "Wonderful 101k" jokes if it gets there.

Also, DanganRonpa sales are about what I expected. I feel like it would do much better on the 3DS......

ascii42

This is a really bizarre way of looking at it. I very much doubt that Sony "made" the PS4 and Vita for each other. They likely just saw the position the Vita was in, and chose to totally tether it to the PS4 as the ultimate peripheral, in the hopes of selling more hardware and recouping their losses on the device.

With the same guiding mind working on both products simultaneously, and with both projects also guided by "the man with the masterplan" - Shuhei Yoshida - we wondered whether the two machines were planned to work together symbiotically right from the beginning.

"That was definitely always a goal, the question was how could we accomplish that? [It was stumbling upon the idea of] Remote Play when we realised we could use that to tie it all together and create a family-friendly strength for PlayStation 4. We had to," Cerny recalled.

"Shuhei Yoshida and I ended up both pitching that feature on the same day. It was an amazing coincidence. We had both come to the same conclusions that the affinity for the two platforms to work together was so large that it just made sense."
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-mark-cerny-lead-architect-playstation-vita

Though certainly I agree Sony would have preferred another PSP type success.

that's what I mean though. I think even with PS5, Sony will just release an updated and improved Vita, for like $100 and it basically be a companion console for whatever PS5 is focusing on.

it's success is arguably disappointing, but there's no denying indy guys are loving the platform. If Sony can keep growing that user base, it can become a kinda standard mobile SDK, and Nintendo's next handheld will likely be very comparable, so why should Sony upgrade when they can just release an even cheaper companion portable machine?

Metallix87

Oh it's that too. I agree. But they were both in design for years at the same time.

Indeed, but I very much doubt that they had always intended for the Vita to be touted about as little more than a PS4 peripheral. I'm certain they went into the Vita reveal predicting that, like the previous gen, tons of third party developers would be desperate to support their hardware.

TyrantII

EA wants to get some of that PlayStation money now that they know its selling well.

Admit it, practically everything we heard from EA at E3 2013 was they were all in with Microsoft. Almost as if they expected PS4 to crash and burn. It went way beyond early DLC, it was practically in "unprecedented partnership" territory.

All I know is EA wanted BF4 to be their COD this go around, and it's consistently has higher player counts on PS4. Anecdotal evidence for sure, but that's got to burn them a little.

Bailers

Indeed, but I very much doubt that they had always intended for the Vita to be touted about as little more than a PS4 peripheral. I'm certain they went into the Vita reveal predicting that, like the previous gen, tons of third party developers would be desperate to support their hardware.

Are you talking about Sony portable hardware with 3rd parties desperate to support it?

Sure you aren't talking about Nintendo portable hardware?

So I heard you guys need PS3 sales.

PS3 February 2013:

PS3 February 2014:
-61% YOY
93% MOM

PS3 + PS4 = 371K

PS4 number in OP is a bit high, don't trust it 100%

Can you figure it out? ;-)

And some tie ratio comparisons:

Microsoft is still ahead of PS4, presumably because of PS4's free-to-play games not tracked by NPD:

Launch month:

XB1 tie ratio = 1.98
PS4 tie ratio = 1.89

Launch through January:

XB1 tie ratio = 2.71
PS4 tie ratio = 2.11

Launch through February:

XB1 tie ratio = 2.75
PS4 tie ratio = 2.18

Top Bottom