• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2015 [Nintendo Numbers, Majora's, MH4, ~XB1]

nampad

Considering The Order got slaughtered critically, the sales don't seem that bad.
That awful word of mouth killed the sales potential, which was already lowered due to being a new singleplayer only game.

UberTag

We don't know the actual numbers yet, but if last month people would have said the Order would be 9th in a slow month like February, I'm of the opinion most people would have thought of that as a disappointment
Most people now would still consider that to be a disappointment.

sense

Going where? NPD titles have always been specific. Not sure whats so hard in #1 SW SKU. In fact looking at previous NPD threads, this title is very out of place. Usually, top hardware is listed and software sales of notable games.
Yea rather than general thread title like previous ones he decided to add a little bias. O well

Gator86

The Order is above 290k?

That's actually pretty damn good all things considered - single player only, new IP, light on content, one week only, got hammered in the reviews.

That's better than every single Forza debut month, and about on par with KZ2 which had a lot more hype at the time. And IIRC, Uncharted 1 sold less than 200k during its launch month.

This actually gives me some hope that Sony will continue to invest in a (hopefully) much improved sequel with more content and some online multiplayer.

The game is flawed in many ways but I still enjoyed the hell out of it. The engine alone is an impressive feat for a studio that only recently worked on handheld games.

Solid perspective here. I fully acknowledge all of the game's faults but it was a fun rental for me. The core of the game (shooting, engine, etc.,) is all super solid. I also found the general universe interesting. If they can trim out some of the fat/garbage (QTEs, lockpicking, looking at items in your fucking hand for 5 minutes) and improve the storytelling and weapon diversity to more than 2 interesting guns, they could have a really great sequel on their hands.

The Order actually reminds me a lot of Destiny. They nail a lot of the basic parts of a game but fall flat on their faces when it comes to game design, story-telling, etc.

Loakum

Banned
So...it looks like The Order 1886 is a top 10 seller. Congrats RAD. *victory dance*

DLEbk9T.gif

Elios83

The Order bombing hopefully means that the gaming public is tired of just having prety graphics and shallow gameplay.

Bombing? It did really good! Retail+digital sales are probably 300k+ in a single week and that's just in the US. In Europe it did even better notwithstanding the fact it's a new IP negatively received by the press. Uncharted launched with less success than The Order.

BTW great month for 3DS and PS4!

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
For starters, it means that there's a good chance that it didn't sell 300k at retail, so you can't use MH4U's combined sales as the baseline for how it did according to NPD.

It means we don't know. However, given digital's typical cut it's not going to make that huge of a difference. It gives us a good enough idea that the order actually performed pretty well.

Wait you aren't Nirolak!

Anyway, I'm very very surprised that MH4U made it into the top 10. The US is gradually warming up to Monster Hunter.

Not surprised at the Order Sales, we knew pre-orders were quite high, but those review scores killed any chance of it becoming big. The game had steep production values and a long development time, it's a lot more expensive than something like Monster Hunter.

I thought Evolve would have taken February honestly, saw people hyped up for that. I wonder if it was all the DLC in the end.

PS slim revision don't boost hardware specs (except PSP).

But the library shared between 3DS and N3DS is like 99% the same that it hardly matters.

That number also include 2DS.

This might get confusing if N3DS software becomes popular.

The irony is that the hardware is defined by the software. Doesn't the 3DS plays DS games?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The Order was #4 in February digitally on the PSN store as well, I wouldn't be surprised if it cleared 500K in the US between retail and digital. WW I could see it doing a million in the first month.

That would be an insane attach rate for digital purchases.

Majanew

Banned
3DS, New 3DS, 2DS are the same? Can play the same games? Is this just for good numbers like when Sony did the "PlayStation family" last gen?

RM8

Counting all the Nintendo's handheld models, is like android combining all the phones that use their OS when comparing sells to Apple. GTFO!
It'd be more like counting iPhone 5, iPhone 6 and 6+ since they're basically the same thing, made by the same company. Please explain to me why -at least- you would separate 2DS, 3DS and 3DS XL.

3DS, New 3DS, 2DS are the same? Can play the same games? Is this just for good numbers like when Sony did the "PlayStation family" last gen?
Exact same games except for a port of Xenoblade that is not out yet and that will sell rather modestly, because it's a niche game exclusive to one 3DS model. You decide if this port makes N3DS a completely separate platform, lol.

slapnuts

great to see a Nintendo game at the top of the game list.

Also great to see PS4 still dominating like crazy but yet X1 still hanging in there...good for all gamers

KoopaTheCasual

Microsoft PR must be the most positive people in the world.

Nice to see Nintendo on the top , I really hope Wiiu Zelda comes this year also I wish I could play MM on Wiiu.

Sony = nothing stops this train. Bloodborne will move consoles next month
Highly doubt it.

People need to understand that core-centric games aren't big console movers. They spruce up the library and make it more appealing, but they're not gonna push sales in a major way.

Nafai1123

Banned
Why would we assume a game that was known to be incredibly short and have no replay value would have similar digital sales to a game that's incredibly long with a ton of replay value?

Why would we assume any correlation in the type of game vs digital sales % whatsoever? We have no data to support that assumption.

More like no legs at all.

Considering The Order got slaughtered critically, the sales don't seem that bad.
That awful word of mouth killed the sales potential, which was already lowered due to being a new singleplayer only game.

In Europe the games held up well and certainly never dropped like a rock yet 3 weeks later. Of course the U.S. is a different beast and it won't be around next month in the top 10 so people will immediately says its a complete bomb for that but is hard to gauge beyond that how it held up.

The order selling OK, but not amazingly, is probably the best that can be hoped for.

It's not an irredeemable franchise, and infact clearly generated a lot of excitement and interest.

Selling well enough to warrant a sequel, but under expectations enough to require a rethink to that games approach, keeping what people were attracted to, while cutting/replacing what drew the most flak, will hopefully give us all a better second title.

Also, glad to see the n3DS XL doing so well. It's really what the 3DS should have been from day one.

pixelation

I'm so confused so did the PS4 sell more then the New3DS, but less then every 3DS sold in February? Is that why they say they topped hardware sales or is it because they are just talking about consoles?

The first is my guess, so in my eyes the PS4 DID indeed take the top spot, there are tech spec differences between the 3DS/N3DS that make them two separate entities IMO.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Going where? NPD titles have always been specific. Not sure whats so hard in #1 SW SKU. In fact looking at previous NPD threads, this title is very out of place. Usually, top hardware is listed and software sales of notable games.

Nintendo achieved a double kill, I don't know what's hard to understand. They occupy the #1 position in hw & software charts.

If one wants to see an in-depth report on those claims, one can simply visit the thread and read the respective PR's from those companies.

I'll leave you to write the next NPD thread.

Your request has already submitted to a mod.

Best Regards

Seriously how much did DC sale worldwide? It's being consistently updated and seems like a lot of players are online. Can't find anything on it's sales though...

Takao

Banned
Didn't they change the branding for the PS3 (Playstation 3 => PS3), and remove BC? Technically that would make the older PS3s have "exclusive" games... heh.

You know that's incredibly flimsy. ;p

Like I said, I don't have an issue with Nintendo bundling up their same generation handhelds, but their refreshes aren't the same as Sony's.

Codeblue

You're claiming I'm in a disagreement that other companies haven't done it. I'm saying it shouldn't be spun that way regardless of company.

I wasn't accusing you of that, I was just saying that you'd eventually wind up having to draw distinctions between minor differences and what constitutes a new console, like the removal of GC support in the newer Wiis, removal of backwards compatibility and things like that.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
4. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
5. Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
9. The Order: 1886 (PS4)

Called it. Pretty sure Bloodborne's going to do better though.

Top Bottom