• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2015 [Nintendo Numbers, Majora's, MH4, ~XB1]

1.2M in 3 weeks on 2 platforms (and like I mentioned earlier, people were waiting on the PC release too)

That's quite good for such a hardcore series. Bloodborne has even more hype than DS2 had as well.

Yeah but install base means a lot. I think people are overestimating the number of people whom will buy Bloodborne based on how many people here like it.

Elandyll

Banned
Under 300K for The Order is surprising to me. Less niche than Bloodborne so I'm now really wondering how well Bloodborne will do when it releases this month.
The Order was being nitpicked from almost the very start. It was running mostly on graphics and setting hype, but had a ton of "concerns". Nearing the release date, I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few people cancelled their pre orders to wait for reviews (I know I did) and the rest is history.

Bloodborne will probably be a different story (I don't see 500k sales, but I could see above 300k).

Jigorath

Banned
I was honestly expecting The Order to do almost twice than it actually did. Thought the game's mind blowing graphics would help it. Guess the reviews hurt it more than I thought.

Would be surprised to see Bloodborne get over 250K now.

A bit of a weird comparison. Just because The Order didn't sell to expectations you expect Bloodborne to do just as bad? It sounds like you're implying "mind blowing graphics" is the only thing Bloodborne has going for it. It's completely a different beast (get it?).

I don't see how you can use The Order to predict Bloodborne's considering how different the games are. Are you going to Screamride's sales to predict Quantum Break?

Chobel

I was honestly expecting The Order to do almost twice than it actually did. Thought the game's mind blowing graphics would help it. Guess the reviews hurt it more than I thought.

Would be surprised to see Bloodborne get over 250K now.

The reviews will help in terms of interest/people wanting to give it a chance (well, if it does well in reviews). I just don't know by how much though.

The game was also short with low (none?) replayability, so second hand market would be big for this game.

Time to scrap The Order and give me a Resistance Retribution sequel with that engine.

Resistance can't die on a middling Vista spinoff, you know what to do Sony!

Sydle

Just the other day I was wondering if Zelda still had selling power and it seems it does. Also, I feel kind of bad for not knowing there was a new Zelda being released. Once upon a time I was a day one buyer for that series.

Very surprised at Evolve's numbers.

A number to give hope for The Order fans:

[PS2] God of War- ~214k (march 2005)

God of War was critically acclaimed and universally well received by consumers, so it picked up momentum well beyond launch as word caught on. The Order has been critically panned and consumer reviews are mixed.

I'm hoping it does well enough to earn RAD another chance to expand the universe they spent 5 years crafting.

TomShoe

Banned
The Order was being nitpicked from almost the very start. It was running mostly on graphics and setting hype, but had a ton of "concerns". Nearing the release date, I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few people cancelled their pre orders to wait for reviews (I know I did) and the rest is history.

Bloodborne will probably be a different story (I don't see 500k sales, but I could see above 300k).

Yep. Review scores likely pushed a lot a fence sitters to the wrong side. I was one of them. I'll get it later, but not for $60.

InFamous SS did below 400k in the first month.

I would personally refrain from having any new exclusive IP expectations to break that opening, unless it's massively hyped.

ascii42

Yeah, word of mouth helped God of War. I remember some not being interested in it since it was a new IP late during the PS2's life. All of the "10/10" reviews helped though.
In my case, it was overshadowed by Gran Turismo 4. I played a friend's copy a few months later and was baffled that I had missed something so great coming out. Fortunately for Sony, word of mouth is very effective when you have a userbase as huge as the PS2's was.

Bgamer90

Banned
A bit of a weird comparison. Just because The Order didn't sell to expectations you expect Bloodborne to do just as bad? It sounds like you're implying "mind blowing graphics" is the only thing Bloodborne has going for it. It's completely a different beast (get it?).

?

I was using "mind blowing graphics" to describe The Order.

I don't see how you can use The Order to predict Bloodborne's considering how different the games are. Are you going to Screamride's sales to predict Quantum Break?

This doesn't make sense since Quantum Break didn't come out before Screamride. If it did, and got bad sales then yeah, I wouldn't see Screamride doing any better because the game is far more niche/less "attention grabbing" (to the mainstream audience) than QB in comparison in my opinion.

Jigorath

Banned
?

I was using "mind blowing graphics" to describe The Order.

This doesn't make sense since Quantum Break didn't come out before Screamride. If it did, and got bad sales then yeah, I wouldn't see Scremride doing any better because the game is far more niche/less "attention grabbing" than QB in comparison to the mainstream audience in my opinion.

I still don't get your reasoning here. Aside from being PS4 exclusives what do The Order and Bloodborne have in common? How can you use one's sales to predict the other?

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
It seems TV was better than Vita in Feb, what happened?
Tv > 30k, Vita < 30k.

Various retailers were giving them with the purchase of PS4 & some prices were extremely low this month due to overabundance of stock - Amazon comes to mind.

slash000

Zeboyd Games
Amazon and some other places did deep discounts to clear Vita TV stock.

That's how it managed to sell a still-meager 30-ish thousand.

AmuroChan

Nice post...

Yeah I'd say thats possible for sure. Infamous did close to that didnt it? I dont think the genre itself lends to huge sales but the circumstances set it up to do nicely.

It's possible, but to reach that number it will need some help from the mainstream gamers. Infamous is a known franchise, rated T, and generally looks more kid-friendly. Bloodborne is a new IP, rated M, and a lot of parents will probably shy away from buying it for their kids.

There hasn't really been any super successful new IPs this gen outside of Destiny so far. I'm not even sure what could come along and just explode in popularity like Gears did early last gen.

Man, with PS4 selling that much better than Xbox One at a higher price I can only imagine what dropping the price to 299 while Xbox is still 349 would do.

DJwest

oZ55XgP.gif
Amazing lol

Top Bottom