• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2015 [Nintendo Numbers, Majora's, MH4, ~XB1]

We get numbers now or what? Also interesting that xbox one software can hang on some titles. PS4 still sold more hardware despite the price cut thing. Looks like Sony is still on track to lead the U.S. Nice to see an old school game like Zelda MM be number 1. Digital copies are counted now?!

Uncharted 2 had a budget of 20m. If Ready at Dawn went anywhere near 100m Sony should working with them immediately. That said, I don't think the cost is anywhere near that much.

Ye i think a total budget of 25-30million with marketing would be my bet. Think the game will break even when all is said and done.

StevieP

Banned
Fuck me... aqua's gone? :( gonna miss her. If you're lurking, Godspeed and all good things at JP!

I think Sony isn't counting N3DS with the 3DS family. Cause sorry to break to you guys, it's isnt the same. Its iPhone 4 to iPhone 5 here. Nintendo has to call it "3DS" family.

Not this shit again

Bgamer90

Banned
I still don't get your reasoning here. Aside from being PS4 exclusives what do The Order and Bloodborne have in common? How can you use one's sales to predict the other?

Not sure what's hard to understand. I said that I felt The Order is of a genre/nature that attracts a more mainstream audience.

tuffy

I think even Capcom underestimated the demand for Monster Hunter, given the anecdotes about cartridges being hard to find.

Sheroking

If we're to assume ~300k for The Order over 10 days, I think 1 million copies is being very generous anyway.

Wonder if Ready at Dawn will survive it.

heidern

That is true. I doubt it cost more than 50M though, no way 100. That team is small by AAA standards.

I'm assuming a 50/50 split between development and marketing. So on the low end that would be $25M for development and $25M for marketing. I don't know the specifics for RAD and their size but seeing as it has been said to have the best graphics yet, then a sizeable budget seems possible.

Eternia

Goodbye

Vita-chan just keeps surprising.
Awww, I always enjoyed her posts in sales threads. I thought things settled down when she came back initially. That's sad to hear.

Very good month for the PS4, didn't really expect that much from it. The Order's sales on the other hand seem mediocre, especially if it doesn't have any legs.

QaaQer

Until Wii U pulls Wii numbers, yes. :p

If The Order cost $50M - $100M to develop and market and 'only' ends up selling 1M units then that could mean it loses Sony tens of millions of dollars. AAA market is tough.

Yeah, I'm surprised they followed through with the marketing. Usually, with games that are going to be shredded by press and have poor play test results they don't gungho the marketing. Game has to be seen as a failure, new IP or not.

If we're to assume ~300k for The Order over 10 days, I think 1 million copies is being very generous anyway.

It did under 300k. Likely even with digital. Since Cream posted the 200k number that usually means that's what its closest to. If it was at 250k he would have likely put that number instead.

I doubt Order did 100k digital purchases.

ethomaz

Banned

I guess if it did ~300k in US then it is already over 700k WW... so it will cross 1m.
Over 1m sold will be fine to RAD.

Busaiku

It did under 300k. Likely even with digital. Since Cream posted the 200k number that usually means that's what its closest to. If it was at 250k he would have likely put that number instead.

I doubt Order did 100k digital purchases.

NPD does not have access to the digital numbers.

Also how is this good for Nintendo? Is Wii U a lost cause? Going the way of the PSV? Or are they expecting the Amiibo fad to last forever? they'll probably make more money releasing a new Zelda game on handheld then on Wii U.

The Wii U has lost all hope of being anything more than a machine for hardcore Nintendo fans to play a handful of great first party titles. It will limp along until Zelda, then have two good months of sales before quietly being put out to pasture while Nintendo fast tracks a new console.

So 1886 is top ten but Sony's got to be unhappy with... The Order.

45948-oh-snap-gif-AxPt.gif

Hopefully it has legs somewhat, don't want to see a game that tried something a tad different not do well. Especially with RAD involved.

Happy for the crows that died with Dying Light's success!

So sorry to hear about Aqua, you will be missed dearly!

Sheroking

I guess if it did ~300k in US then it is already over 700k WW... so it will cross 1m.
Over 1m sold will be fine to RAD.

Honestly, think this game is going to be very front-loaded with how hard it got crapped on here.

I'm not sure I see 500k at full price in NA.

N.Domixis

Banned
wow at 80 K gap! We are approaching 650k gap. Will be close to a million again before xbox removes 500-600k and returns to the same gap again starting January 2016. MS focusing only on holidays will never win them US. The 600K gap ms may reach this holiday will easily be shrunk come U4 release. And this is without taking to account a ps4 price drop. Ps4 doing good.

tensuke

Surprised at the Order, 9th after only a week, single platform, and shit reviews. Didn't think it would even chart lol. Still gonna Gamefly it, but, ehhh.

Also, wow at #1 being a re-release of MM. But what can I say, those 3DS remakes are pretty good. Nintendo had a killer month.

And yayy Dying Light #3, it's great.

NPD does not have access to the digital numbers.

Of course it doesn't, what does that have to do with my post?

Edit: Just realized this post sounds kind of short / dickish. Didn't mean it that way if that's how it comes across. I think you just misinterpreted what I posted

Vena

Poor Kirby but I can't imagine it cost all that much to develop so it will likely return a profit as an investment.

Shows how important the season of release is for a title when you compare it to Toad (that and Toad was the better game overall).

Not sure what's hard to understand. I said that I felt The Order is of a genre/nature that attracts a more mainstream audience.

Yea, I'm not sure about the confusion myself. It seems pretty self-explanatory. Bloodborne is a niche title. I don't expect it to do much more over 200k given the nature of the title and the fact retail GAF musings have indicated otherwise (edit: completely forgot to finish sentence).

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

This is probably true, though I'm curious why you expected The Order to sell > 600K.

That's very difficult to accomplish for a new IP on a single system. TLOU managed to do it late in the gen on a large PS3 userbase and basically had perfect review scores across the board with a multiplayer component. And even then it did around a million.

I also agree with you that Bloodborne will be much more well received, but I think there's a decent chance it sells less than The Order (which IMHO, did better than I expected given the type of title it is). Even though Bloodborne shares its history with the Souls series, it's ultimately still a new IP in a very core, rather niche market.

I think word of mouth will be better and it'll ultimately end up selling more than The Order over time, however.

Probably.

Will be good enough? I doubt.

Good enough for...? A sequel?

I think that's already a slam dunk deal at this point. As Y2Kev was quick to point out, The Order is actually one of the most successful new IP's Sony has launched in terms of first month sales.

I don't think any new Sony IP's last-gen managed to do any better during the first month outside of TLOU -- and yet, we still got multiple MotorStorms, Resistances, LBP's, etc.

pixelation

wow at 80 K gap! We are approaching 650k gap. Will be close to a million again before xbox removes 500-600k and returns to the same gap again starting January 2016. MS focusing only on holidays will never win them US. The 600K gap ms may reach this holiday will easily be shrunk come U4 release. And this is without taking to account a ps4 price drop. Ps4 doing good.

Thanks for your post, i was waiting for someone to post something about that.

Jigorath

Banned

The Order tried to attract a mainstream audience and failed. Bloodborne is going for a more niche crowd but if it succeeds then I could see it selling better than The Order. Of course we have no idea how the game will end up selling but there really isn't a reasonable comparison between the two games as far as I'm concerned. They're going for completely different audiences.

Poor Kirby but I can't imagine it cost all that much to develop so it will likely return a profit as an investment.

Shows how important the season of release is for a title when you compare it to Toad (that and Toad was the better game overall).

I think the biggest problem with Kirby is that they want you to sit down in front of your large, awesome HDTV and then play a game by staring at the shitty, low-res gamepad screen.

udivision

I think even Capcom underestimated the demand for Monster Hunter, given the anecdotes about cartridges being hard to find.

Maybe I never paid attention to this kind of thing, but it seems like almost every YouTuber at least had a random video or Let's Play of MH4.

This is probably true, though I'm curious why you expected The Order to sell > 600K.

That's very difficult to accomplish for a new IP on a single system. TLOU managed to do it late in the gen on a large PS3 userbase and basically had perfect review scores across the board with a multiplayer component. And even then it did around a million.

I also agree with you that Bloodborne will be much more well received, but I think there's a decent chance it sells less than The Order (which IMHO, did better than I expected given the type of title it is). Even though Bloodborne shares its history with the Souls series, it's ultimately still a new IP in a very core, rather niche market.

I think word of mouth will be better and it'll ultimately end up selling more than The Order over time, however.

High expectations allows people to be easily disappointed.

Well if that practice continues, then the line definitely becomes blurred, IMO. I guess for now it doesn't matter, as the game is not even out yet, so everything works on everything for the time being.

Nintendo announced their would be dsi exclusive retail games, I think 4 came out life time. Doubt we'll see too many n3dsxl exclusive titles.

Top Bottom