• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2014 [Up3: All Hardware (June/LTD), Top 10 Software SKUs]

PS4 did good. XBO did... decent. That's basicly that in terms of winning NPD for a forseeable future if they don't do a price cut. People saying that XBO will win November due to Halo isn't taking into consideration that PS4 is selling more 3rd party software. Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, Evolve and Grand Theft Auto V will all help push the PS4 far more than Halo can push XBO. NPD just got very predictable for everyone except a hardcore few who believe in prophecies.

CoD and Evolve will both have XO marketing and time exclusive DLC. Assasin's Creed also seems to have a marketing deal with Xbox this year, so not sure how that would help PS4 top XO in November. The reason PS4 is winning software is because of a bigger current install base & does not mean that every 3rd party game released will sell more PS4 units than X1 units....CoD (example) should move more X1 consoles as they have the whole marketing and exclusive crap.

GTA V will help push a lot of PS4s, but it won't move more consoles than Halo. If it was exclusive it would, but seeing as it isn't, Halo should easily move a lot more units.

I think October could be X1's first NPD win this year if FH2 & SO turn out well. PS4 will have DC to fight back, but not sure how many consoles that will move as it is a game we have known about for a while, & originally announced as a a launch game.

If not October though, November is a given. Nothing can stop Halo. Nothing!

LOCK

This was a good month for everyone really.

Software could have been better, especially new releases. Man July and August are going to be so boring software wise.

CoD and Evolve will both have XO marketing and time exclusive DLC. Assasin's Creed also seems to have a marketing deal with Xbox this year, so not sure how that would help PS4 top XO in November.

GTA V will help push a lot of PS4s, but it won't move more consoles than Halo. If it was exclusive it would, but seeing as it isn't, Halo should easily move a lot more units.

I think October could be X1's first NPD win this year if FH2 & SO turn out well. PS4 will have DC to fight back, but not sure how many consoles that will move as it is a game we people have known about for a while, & originally announced as a a launch game.

We will see Oroku Saki.

I have my doubts anything can stop the console selling like moderately price wheatcakes.

De_Legend

Banned
CoD and Evolve will both have XO marketing and time exclusive DLC. Assasin's Creed also seems to have a marketing deal with Xbox this year, so not sure how that would help PS4 top XO in November.

I think October could be X1's first NPD win this year if FH2 & SO turn out well. PS4 will have DC to fight back, but not sure how many consoles that will move as it is a game we people have known about for a while, & originally announced as a a launch game.

Going to save that post, thank you.

DKC TF won't even crack a million worldwide, it looks like. Shit sold like 5 copies in Europe and Japan combined.

Fuck, dat shyt ain't right. I really don't get how this happened either. Isn't DK one of Nintendo's biggest franchises? It was the best DK game ever IMO.

Minecraft is like the Titanic of video games

Mojang atm
Obama-bucks-animated-money-gif.gif

Infamous total sales are not great considering it was the only big exclusive in a barren period.

Hopefully this means a new i.p next time from Sucker Punch. Please.

They made everyone think they sold 50k less than they did. I'm sure there was a better way to word it.

It was factually correct, saying 2.5 instead has literally no effect on their PR. What exact effect do you think them mentioning the extra .5 does for their public perception, their efforts to sell consoles, or MS's attractiveness as a stock? The question is what do you think they serve to gain from "less humble" damage control PR? Has being less humble ever been a good idea for damage control?

3.5:2.9 PS4 to Bone LTD doesn't seem all that dominating. 20% difference?

I have:

LTD - 3578K : 2916K (+23%)

But if you look at 2013 and 2014 YTD separately, you can see the widening gap working to slowly increase that LTD percentage difference, which is a trend I'm sure Microsoft would like to change:

2013 - 2001K : 1817K (+10%)
2014 YTD - 1577K : 1099K (+43%)

cakely

So XBO is selling at 39k a week now? Not that bad, assuming sales don't drop off next month that's what? 155k for July? That's decent no?

If you'd like a window into July NPD Xbox One sales, let me refer you to the Amazon monthly sales rankings for July 2014:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014-07/videogames?tag=viglink129408-20

#11: Playstation 4
#40: Playstation 4 Destiny Bundle
#55: Xbox One ($399)

Yes, I know Amazon only represents something like 5% of total NA sales, but, so far it's been a very accurate indicator of general sales rankings.

GamerJM

Banned
Infamous total sales are not great considering it was the only big exclusive in a barren period.

I think it's alright considering InFamous is a mid-tier IP in terms of popularity. I don't think that many people bought PS4s for exclusive first-party titles, at least so far.

Yeah, which is why I said NA. The person I was replying to said NA too.

Eh, I misread Thunder and Nebraska's exchange, which lead me to misinterpret your post as well. Forget what I said.

Infamous sales are not great considering it was the only big exclusive in a barren period.

Are you serious? 641k is pretty good. That's better than some multiplatform games (see: Dark Souls 2). And remember US =/= the world. It's well over a million worldwide by now, it sold fine.

Sharpeye

I think this is the best selling Infamous game to date by a large margin, it also sold well worldwide too. Sucker Punch games usually have a small budget too, the game did fine.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
CoD and Evolve will both have XO marketing and time exclusive DLC. Assasin's Creed also seems to have a marketing deal with Xbox this year, so not sure how that would help PS4 top XO in November. The reason PS4 is winning software is because of a bigger current install base & does not mean that every 3rd party game released will sell more PS4 units than X1 units....CoD (example) should move more X1 consoles as they have the whole marketing and exclusive crap.

The PS4 will have more than a million unit lead in November. Those one million people want games too. It's not like these people are going to buy a XBO to play any of those games. But, okay. If you say that XBO will win hardware in October I'm sure you have good reason to think so and don't let current sales trends affect your judgement.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Because they may or may not be relevant to certain consumers. And charging people interested who may want to invest in these products or companies is unfair because of how expensive it is to actually obtain data. It's the same reason why box office numbers are given weekly and why media create gives out data weekly.

You'll have to explain it to me another way, because I still don't get it.
When I didn't get numbers myself, I WANTED them. Because, hell, I was curious and I thought it be cool to know. But it's actually potentially rather damaging. Everyone get's their own sales numbers - they don't subscribe to NPD to get that, you know what you sell to a retailer because they buy from you and then report back sell through. You subscribe to something like NPD so you can see what competitors are doing, and overall trends in the marketplace. What's selling, what's not. It's inside information used to make business decisions.

Gaming is still primarily technology driven, and that technology is still considered a competitive advantage. Things are tested, tried, failed, succeeded, etc. It's not like movies where the format is basically ubiquitous, and box office is primarily driven by marketing and talent. Talent wants these things public so they can negotiate better salaries and make better decisions on what films to do when they know what is successful and what isn't, and marketing wants to use figures in their marketing to make more money, or internally pitch studio execs for bigger budgets.

yadda yadda. not a big deal. I get frustrated when I want to know something and can't too, but it's not "stupid" - there's reasons for like, everything

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
wow, Titanfall at 1,6m without bundles? Thats a major success tbh. I had a completely different picture of its commercial performance.

And lol at Dark Souls 2. Deserved sales.
I think some might be confused on the basis that EA has basically stopped reporting unit sales numbers full stop.

It's not Watch Dogs, but it's still moving units.

sörine;121549609 said:
Mario 3D World maybe? Plus a bunch of 3DS stuff obviously (MK7, 3D Land, Zelda OOT, Animal Crossing, Pokemon XY, etc).

Last I saw, SM3DW hit 600K+ in 2013, so perhaps it crawled up since then? It hasn't made an appearance on the top 10.

And of course I was only looking at consoles. That really leaves just TitanFall and Super Mario U as the lone million sellers so far in the new gen from what I can see.

I expect 6-7 PS4 titles, and ~5 Xbox One titles to cross that milestone before the end of the year. Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D Land and possibly maybe Smash for the Wii U making it 3-4.

Doesn't Ghost still have the same exclusive stuff and yet it sell more on PS4 and even PS3 than XBO?

I'm not talking about selling game copies, but rather moving consoles. PS4 & PS3 both have bigger install bases, which is part of the reason they are selling more actual game copies.

The Idea is that someone is more likely to go out and buy a X1 with Cod (this holiday) than they are to buy a PS4 with Cod because of the DLC and marketing.

PS4 could very well still sell more actual copies of the game simply because it has a bigger install base.

I think part of the reason why CoD Ghost sales are not so great on X1 right now is because Titanfall has stolen some (not all) of it's sales thunder on the X1.

Welfare

They have already tanked according to Amazon sales rankings.

The Kinectless sku is still around the same position it was around in June if you account for the 4 new Destiny versions (PS4+XBO Limited and Ghost editions). The Titanfall bundle is no where to be seen, either due to a lack of stock, or everyone jumping on the Kinectless sku. If we had the sales split on all XBO sku's for June, it would paint a better picture.

The PS4 will have more than a million unit lead in November. Those one million people want games too. It's not like these people are going to buy a XBO to play any of those games. But, okay. If you say that XBO will win hardware in October I'm sure you have good reason to think so and don't let current sales trends affect your judgement.

I said could win October. I think it will be very close.
And a bigger install base isn't going to help move more PS4 units. It will help them move more software in October, but not hardware.

dadozer

Banned

I think October could be X1's first NPD win this year if FH2 & SO turn out well. PS4 will have DC to fight back, but not sure how many consoles that will move as it is a game we have known about for a while, & originally announced as a a launch game.

This forum needs Toxx clause for shit like this.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
The Kinectless sku is still around the same position it was around in June if you account for the 4 new Destiny versions (PS4+XBO Limited and Ghost editions). The Titanfall bundle is no where to be seen, either due to a lack of stock, or everyone jumping on the Kinectless sku. If we had the sales split on all XBO sku's for June, it would paint a better picture.

No. The Kinectless SKU peaked at #26 while selling along side the TF bundle. You had two SKUs in the 40s most of the month, now the TF is gone and the lone XB1 SKU in the top 100 is in the 50s.

PS4 is pretty much guaranteed to be the best-selling platform until October.

That month MS has some chance of winning due to the co-marketing and exclusive beta [?] for Alien Isolation and Evolve combined with Sunset Overdrive. Not to mention that FH2 is slatted for end of September

I'm not particularly convinced they will win the month but it is at least partially in contention.

November is also in contention due to COD and HMCC but again I'm not convinced how likely that outcome is.

That all being said, I wouldn't completely discount XB1's chances this holidays as anything is possible

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Maybe it was mentioned before but has there been an update in regards to Kirby 3DS ltd?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Looks like MK8 did ~135k digital so far.

More than I would have expected.
Decent attach rate, right in the standard range. Which is probably a bit higher for Nintendo.

artist

Banned
Dat thirst

del1a6kvn.png

And another one;

del2yijhi.png

Averaging out, the PS4 is selling exactly 1.5 times more than the bone in NA, which is ironically the spec differential as well. :p

If you'd like a window into July NPD Xbox One sales, let me refer you to the Amazon monthly sales rankings for July 2014:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014-07/videogames?tag=viglink129408-20

#11: Playstation 4
#40: Playstation 4 Destiny Bundle
#55: Xbox One ($399)

Yes, I know Amazon only represents something like 5% of total NA sales, but, so far it's been a very accurate indicator of general sales rankings.

That is crazy.

Two separate PS4 SKUs beating the Xbox One Day One, Forza bundle, Titanfall bundle, Kinectless skew and, original SKU combined.

Top Bottom