• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2014 [Up3: All Hardware (June/LTD), Top 10 Software SKUs]

mo60

ThatGIFToStopToPost.gif

I don't believe XB1 sold these 5 million yet... more close to 4.5m.

Ms will release new shipments Tuesday.

The console is probably close to or over 5 million by now. It was around 4.2-4.5 million a couple of months ago.

I think the XB1 will be fine in the US/UK. Based on the trends so far, it probably won't outsell the PS4 in the US either, but Microsoft seems to be reacting pretty heavily to bad sales and I'm sure they'll keep doing that throughout the console cycle. The question is what they do to stay relevant in other countries, as that seems to be the issue.

I agree. Honestly as strange as it may sound, German PAL charts give me more worry in regards to the XB1 then NPD threads. MS seem to be losing significant marketshare that they had with 360 in mainland Europe.

I should qualify I don't think MS had significant marketshare with the 360 in Germany but of what they had they seem to be losing a significant portion of it

Vita not being mentioned makes me wonder how badly it's doing.

15k this month

Quite dead

mo60

Souls sells pretty well so I think Bloodborne will sell some consoles.

Or Sony could just not release games at all since PS4 seems to sell when it has no games.

The most bloodborne will sell is 2-4 million on the ps4 if it plays close or similar ot the soul games which are really difficult and not that easy to play.

ethomaz

Banned
The console is probably close to or over 5 million by now. It was around 4.2-4.5 million a couple of months ago.
I never read that... source? After 3 million NS stopped to talk about "sales".

Now Sony we have certain that is over 7 million.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
It comes down to who won Europe, you have real numbers for that?

(I know you don't)
We know Wii U did really well in France, and based on amazon.de in Germany as well. Xbox One wasn't even in the top 100 of amazon in these countries, which combined, weight 1.5X UK in terms of sales. Wii U is also sold in more countries. So I'm pretty sure it outsold Xbox One WW in June... but that doesn't even matter. What matters is that it's close enough not to ridiculize this idea is possible, which oh so did happen for the last month.

ethomaz

Banned
Whens Xbox and playstations official financial reports.
MS Tuesday... Sony I'm checking...

Edit - this time there is two dates for Sony.

Jul. 31, 2014 15:00 (JST) Announcement of FY14.1Q Preliminary Consolidated Financial Results (Japanese GAAP)
Aug. 8, 2014 15:00 (JST) Announcement of FY14.1Q Consolidated Financial Results (Japanese GAAP)

mo60

I never read that... source? After 3 million NS stopped to talk about "sales".

Now Sony we have certain that is over 7 million.

I think a couple of people a month ago in an NPD thread figured out that the xbox one was most likely around 4.2 million at that time. I think it was after titanfall launched.

Sheroking

Really don't know about that. PS2 and Wii actually both did a great job with casual gamers; the only difference is Wii went for them in a very lopsided way. I think PS2's appeal and reputation as a hardcore/core machine screws up the other fact that it was just as balanced with games for casual players.

Singstar, Buzz, Jeapordy, Wheel of Fortune, the Barbie games, all those Nick games; that market actually began to take root with the PS2 and Wii just hammered down on them.

I feel like PS2 acquired casual gamers in the Madden sense, where as Wii embraced gamers who would never pick up a DualShock controller and play on the regular. The mothers and grandmothers of the world, who have since moved on to Angry Birds and Bejeweled on their smart phones.

I'm really hoping that Nintendo feels like they can target their blue ocean money in the QOL sector and have embraced the idea of appealing to a larger niche. Don't make the goal 100 or even 80 million units, shoot for a profitable 40-50 million base. They've identified children, women and core gamers as target audiences to improve upon.

Wow lots of hate for Driveclub, Last of us and Bloodborne. Do the astro turfers have one last big job before they join the 18,000?

If people don't think these will be big sellers lets have a name and shame at xmas. I will say I estimate Driveclub to at least double MCC. Last of us I expect to sell more than MCC, SO and FH2 combined. Then i expect Bloodborne to top that by a huge chunk.

I absolutely don't expect to be wrong. So time to sling mud elsewhere or put up or shut up.

Fantastic post. Would like to hear more from this guy.

ethomaz

Banned
I think a couple of people a month ago in an NPD thread figured out that the xbox one was most likely around 4.2 million at that time. I think it was after titanfall launched.
Well it is like the 8.5-9m they figured to OS4 in this thread.

Nothing official.

A lost of those games were Pc/Xbox/ps1 ports. Wii git old people and health nuts on board with new content.
Really don't know about that. PS2 and Wii actually both did a great job with casual gamers; the only difference is Wii went for them in a very lopsided way. I think PS2's appeal and reputation as a hardcore/core machine screws up the other fact that it was just as balanced with games for casual players.

Singstar, Buzz, Jeapordy, Wheel of Fortune, the Barbie games, all those Nick games; that market actually began to take root with the PS2 and Wii just hammered down on them.

YOU KNOW if ms found a way to slap on BC and even bundle it with the next shipments that could prove to be very beneficial for them.

Well yes but that's also a ridiculous notion. BC through emulation requires a meaty CPU which neither system has in abundance, through hardware requires hardware so you'd slap a 360 onto the XB1? Why not just the input HDMI and a 360 then?

Wow lots of hate for Driveclub, Last of us and Bloodborne. Do the astro turfers have one last big job before they join the 18,000?

If people don't think these will be big sellers lets have a name and shame at xmas. I will say I estimate Driveclub to at least double MCC. Last of us I expect to sell more than MCC, SO and FH2 combined. Then i expect Bloodborne to top that by a huge chunk.

I absolutely don't expect to be wrong. So time to sling mud elsewhere or put up or shut up.
Yikes dude console war forums are elsewhere.

It's not obectively absurd to compare performance for a given month. You were one of the GAFers who totally dismissed Wii U chances to outsell Xbox One on a WW basis in June. Based on these sales you are now probably wrong, don't you think?

I think you might be mixing me up with someone else, why would I bet ainst something that has no way of being measured? We don't get month by month worldwide sales and GAF estimates are famously awful for these sorts of things. In addition, XBO still has not launched in all territories yet so it's not a 1 to 1 comparison. But even if we were to entertain the idea, it needs to make up a difference of nearly 60k units (Not counting all NA sales for Canada which also likely has the XBO ahead), which is around how much the Wii U sold in Japan last month (Again, XBO is at zero since it hasn't launched worldwide yet. Even if the number ends up being small this comparison is silly at this point).

We have a rough idea of how well the Xbox is doing in the UK with the weekly performance of Titanfall, which consistently performs above the Mario Kart bundle. Mario is doing better throughout the rest of Europe though, particularly in France which is obviously their strongest territory in Europe.

Well yes but that's also a ridiculous notion. BC through emulation requires a meaty CPU which neither system has in abundance, through hardware requires hardware so you'd slap a 360 onto the XB1? Why not just the input HDMI and a 360 then?

Assuming they dont find another way to do it.

Jaxyfoo

Banned
Yikes dude console war forums are elsewhere.

Wait, what I'm usually the first to turn and run at console warring, and I am more than happy for a strong gaming market full stop. I just found it strange that every time a PS4 exclusive gets mentioned, there are a load of muck spreading post. So how am I in the wrong? I also made my predictions for sales, so happy to take friendly bets there from absolutely everyone.

Assuming they dont find another way to do it.

Those are literally the only two methods for backwards compatibility in consoles, either through software emulation, hardware compatibility or a mixture of both.

We already know hardware compatibility is out of the question for both systems as they both moved to x86. [MS from PowerPC, Sony from whatever the cell/RSX was]

So then you're looking at emulation through software and a lot of modern computer CPUs struggle with Dolphin which emulates Gamecube and Wii games. Both systems of significantly less power than the 360. It's not happening. Maybe maybe XB1 could get OG Xbox emulation but that's about it

mess :lol

Shosai

Banned
Wait, what I'm usually the first to turn and run at console warring, and I am more than happy for a strong gaming market full stop. I just found it strange that every time a PS4 exclusive gets mentioned, there are a load of muck spreading post. So how am I in the wrong?

Maybe every game has an audience of people who genuinely don't like it? It's not exactly a rare sight.

THere are many other ways. Manual encoding, streaming, free DD version from the store when type in serial number (mattel did that) etc.
Those are literally the only two methods for backwards compatibility in consoles, either through software emulation, hardware compatibility or a mixture of both.

We already know hardware compatibility is out of the question for both systems as they both moved to x86. [MS from PowerPC, Sony from whatever the cell/RSX was]

So then you're looking at emulation through software and a lot of modern computer CPUs struggle with Dolphin which emulates Gamecube and Wii games. Both systems of significantly less power than the 360. It's not happening. Maybe maybe XB1 could get OG Xbox emulation but that's about it

fallingdove

Uh. Didnt ms literally state multiple times that they were trying to add BC. Also stop trying to act superior.

In what way did I try to act superior?

I called your comment for what it was: Complete fucking lunacy. Backwards compatability isn't something you can just tack on between hardware shipments. On top of that, what do you think the cost associated with that would be?

Hey guys, YOU KNOW, the Xbox One would do really really well if it included the Wii U and the PS4 in the box for $499. Hey, maybe they could throw something together in the next couple of months - that would really help them.

THere are many other ways. Manual encoding, streaming, free DD version from the store when type in serial number (mattel did that) etc.

I have no idea what you mean by "manual encoding"? Like making a new port such as Halo MCC, TLOU:R, or Windwaker HD?

Streaming isn't BC, simply another way to play games. Free DD version is cross-buy not backwards compatibility.

Backwards compatibility means a system in place within the console to play an already existing copy of the games from the previous generations console, be it either software or hardware based.

There are plenty of other games that garnered far more attention and awards at E3 (Rainbow Six, Evolve, Splatoon, Arkham Knight, Assassin's Creed, Battlefield Hardline, Destiny, etc). Dark Souls has a vocal and very enthusiastic following, but it's still small potatoes in the grand scheme of things.

How well Bloodborne does will probably depend on how much money Sony chooses to spend marketing it, but there's definitely a hard cap on how many units they can sell so long as From Software continues to make punishingly hard games.
Uhm, you're conveniently ignoring that the big reason Bloodbourne's response wasn't as hyped as those games is largely b/c some idiot leaked footage of the game out to gaming forums a couple of months ahead of schedule. Or did you not see the reveal thread and the massive size and hype it garnered?

Bloodbourne is gonna be a critical exclusive in PS4's arsenal come 2015, it's got the most hype of any exclusive for that year right now, maybe even more than Uncharted 4.

I feel like PS2 acquired casual gamers in the Madden sense, where as Wii embraced gamers who would never pick up a DualShock controller and play on the regular. The mothers and grandmothers of the world, who have since moved on to Angry Birds and Bejeweled on their smart phones.

I'm really hoping that Nintendo feels like they can target their blue ocean money in the QOL sector and have embraced the idea of appealing to a larger niche. Don't make the goal 100 or even 80 million units, shoot for a profitable 40-50 million base. They've identified children, women and core gamers as target audiences to improve upon.
That's a good way to look at it too I guess. Just one thing: I don't think Nintendo will target them successfully w/ the QOL stuff. I'm not even sure how those audiences feel about Nintendo these days. Do they think of them favorably, given how Wii support just dropped like a stone after 2010? They may've been indifferent to them prior to Wii but maybe they bear a slight grudge now?

In any case I hope their QOL project takes advantage of other system network infrastructure. I'd like to see Nintendo embrace connectivity with other devices into their ecosystem like Microsoft and Sony are doing (PS Now).

Looking back, isn't Sony's PR statement untrue with MK8 coming in at #1?

Sony PR said:
PlayStation 4 was #1 for next generation software sales, with PS4 leading two of the top three titles.

Should have just said PS4 was #2 and #3 for next generation software sales - the latter half was redundant. But I suppose it is PR.

Should have just said PS4 was #2 and #3 for next generation software sales - the latter half was redundant. But I suppose it is PR.

Doesn't the first portion refer to more PS4 software overall selling more XB1 or Wii U software overall in the month of June with the second portion referring to having the 2nd and 3rd best selling individual SKUs?

I think the XB1 will be fine in the US/UK. Based on the trends so far, it probably won't outsell the PS4 in the US either, but Microsoft seems to be reacting pretty heavily to bad sales and I'm sure they'll keep doing that throughout the console cycle. The question is what they do to stay relevant in other countries, as that seems to be the issue.

We won't see the trend until next month. This is a bump...we don't know if it's sustained. Next month we will have a more accurate picture.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I think you might be mixing me up with someone else, why would I bet ainst something that has no way of being measured? We don't get month by month worldwide sales and GAF estimates are famously awful for these sorts of things. In addition, XBO still has not launched in all territories yet so it's not a 1 to 1 comparison. But even if we were to entertain the idea, it needs to make up a difference of nearly 60k units (Not counting all NA sales for Canada which also likely has the XBO ahead), which is around how much the Wii U sold in Japan last month (Again, XBO is at zero since it hasn't launched worldwide yet. Even if the number ends up being small this comparison is silly at this point).

We have a rough idea of how well the Xbox is doing in the UK with the weekly performance of Titanfall, which consistently performs above the Mario Kart bundle. Mario is doing better throughout the rest of Europe though, particularly in France which is obviously their strongest territory in Europe.
Sorry if I took you for someone else. About Canada, PS4 seems to dominate big time there. Also there were 2 Wii U bundles on amazon.ca before the Xbox One.

PS4 had more software sales than Xbox One and Wii U. That's what they mean when they say they're #1. They're not saying the top title was a PS4 game.

It's gotten so bad at this point that people are comparing it to the Wii U when that is objectively absurd, the XBO has never done as poorly as that system and never will.

Reality check. It's extremely likely that the Wii-U outsold the XBO world wide the last two months.

Granted, all your claims are off the mark. I love how you are comparing a bundle that is hard to get in the UK to one that is highly discounted and easily to find. /clap

Didn't sony raise the price of the PS4 in canada? I am surprised to see it selling that well over there.

Yes, didn't change it's position as number one. Wii-U holds the number 2 position in Canada.

I can't help but think a lot of people involved with the xbox one are gonna get laid off in this round of Microsoft lay-offs. They botched the xbone badly. Network effects mean they'll probably never catch up.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's still ok. It's not even the same situation. It took 3 years for Sony to take his head out of their butt. MS did it in months. I think that the One is on track right now and things only can get better for MS.
You're right. Playstation was a powerful global brand that could get stomped by 15 million million units in the largest territory and still sell more overall. Xbox is not. There's a track that has established itself worldwide and things are getting "worse" ("worse") for the gap between the two consoles. Unless you want to talk second derivatives. Lol!

I know you'll say you're talking about the US only, but more important here is that Sony never got their head out of their ass in the us. The gap in sales did nothing but grow every month for four years.

I know it sucks to admit but inertia is real and it doesn't look great over in Redmond. But then again, you can carve out success to mean whatever you want like Vitamuffins and Marco and still be somewhat satisfied.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Reality check. It's extremely likely that the Wii-U outsold the XBO world wide the last two months.

Granted, all your claims are off the mark. I love how you are comparing a bundle that is hard to get in the UK to one that is highly discounted and easily to find. /clap

Yes, didn't change it's position as number one. Wii-U holds the number 2 position in Canada.

Ouya reigns supreme on Amazon though. The one true king!

I'm sure Bloodborne will convince a decent amount of 360,PS3 and PC Souls fans to get a PS4.
Some people say that oh bloodborne will never be a system seller but the whole point is that Bloodborne is kind of a "cool" game and the PS4 will be known as THE console with a bunch of cool games and better versions of most if not all multiplats, it's a cumulative effect.

Top Bottom