• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2009

Averon said:
Forgive me if my sarcasm detector is broken, but are you serious about that regarding InFamous? I can't possibly see InFamous not charting. I looks like a fun open-world game that should have appeal. As long as Sony doesn't do a stealth release, and it have decent ads (even of KZ2 caliber), it should have a better than decent chance of charting.

The problem is, Sony is releasing Infamous with 4 days left in the month of May. So when it only does 200k in 4 days people will see it as a failure. It's the killzone release date all over again.

JudgeN

Goldrusher said:
2ajulae.png

PS3 + Killzone 2 in Europe: €399
PS3 + Killzone 2 in USA: $480*

* $399 + $59 + (average of) 5% sales tax​

Microsoft: bundles everything from Halo to Kung Fu Panda. Sales are good.
Nintendo: bundles everything from two year old Flash games to fitness instructions. Sales are good.
SCEE: bundles everything. Sales are good.
SCEJ: bundles everything. Sales are good.

SCEA: bundles nothing. Sales are bad.

SCEE will bundle KZ2 till it makes a profit, its just how they role.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
The problem is, Sony is releasing Infamous with 4 days left in the month of May. So when it only does 200k in 4 days people will see it as a failure. It's the killzone release date all over again.
Same with LBP.

deftangel

took a programming course
chubigans said:
I dunno; it might get overshadowed by Prototype and it's pretty tough releasing a new IP on the PS3 these days. I'd love to be wrong, but we'll see.

Prototype is awesome. I'm expecting that game to do well. I'm just hoping the time of year doesn't kill it.

Mind you, didn't InFamous get moved to May rather than June? If so, wise move.....

Cruzader

Banned
deftangel said:
Prototype is awesome. I'm expecting that game to do well. I'm just hoping the time of year doesn't kill it.

Mind you, didn't InFamous get moved to May rather than June? If so, wise move.....
Also Prototype is Multiplatform. Guess which one will sell better.

Omar Ismail said:
People GROSSLY underestimate development and marketing costs.

100 people * $100K/year * 4 years = $40M right there
and for big budget titles marketing matches development costs.

Exactly how bad is your rectum bleeding after pulling those numbers out your ass?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Rated-Rsuperstar said:

You are being overly optimistic I'm afraid.

Kusagari

Infamous will 'bomb'. I'm buying it day 1 and even I realize this. You guys think KZ2's sales are bad? Wait for Infamous's.

NeoUltima said:
Capcom has made so much money in the past two months
Definitely. I don't think Bionic Commando or Dark Void will reach these heights sales-wise, but they both look great. This is looking like an amazing year for Capcom, even by their lofty standards.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:

200K in 4 days sounds a bit optimistic to me.

GitarooMan said:
Definitely. I don't think Bionic Commando or Dark Void will reach these heights sales-wise, but they both look great. This is looking like an amazing year for Capcom, even by their lofty standards.
Good for them too. Quality games deserve quality sales.

witness

Very dissapointed with the lack of GTA Chinatown Wars, want to see some madworld numbers. PS3 hardware predictably low, and this is the last time we'll see killzone chart in the npd. If only sony were drop the price in feb. or march sales would have been a lot higher for the game.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:

lol wut
thats almost as bad as the WANTED prediction

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Kusagari said:
Infamous will 'bomb'. I'm buying it day 1 and even I realize this. You guys think KZ2's sales are bad? Wait for Infamous's.
The funny thing is we'll STILL see posts that say, "Haw haw wasn't Sony fans saying this was the next PS3 saviour?!!"

Infamous WILL NOT SELL WELL. It'd take some amazing marketing work to get that game to sell, and SCEA doesn't have it.

Blame!

Cruzader said:
LOL

Sony started their KZ2 marketing way back in 05....:lol :lol :lol

Isnt that known as a teaser trailer?

since when is a teaser trailer not a part of marketing? :lol

lets face it KZ2 has underperformed and advertising was not a part of the problem. the game was advertised in all the right places for its demographic. it just didnt work.

i'd love to know how much sony spent developing KZ2....how long was it in production?

Kusagari said:
Has any PS3 first party title cracked 1 million in the US? Killzone 2 will eventually, did Resistance eventually get there?

Infamous will probably do mid six figures lifetime unless it gets crazy big hype and turns out fantastic (I mean beyond the already high expectations).

Barrett2

Blu_LED said:
Its still kind of disgusting that 205k people are playing that game. (MLB 2K9)

I think people get attached to certain sports franchises and don't want to change.

Probably the same thing with people who buy NBA Live. They mostly do it because they have been buying it since 95.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Blame! said:
lets face it KZ2 has underperformed and advertising was not a part of the problem. the game was advertised in all the right places for its demographic. it just didnt work.
Wow...no. :lol

Not at all.

Tom Penny

Warm Machine said:
If you bought a PS3 you probably knew about Killzone2. It was only the biggest most hyped game for the machine since its reveal. The numbers have little to do with quality, just install base.

False. Killzone as franchise has little meaning to anyone who isn't hardcore into games. For some bizarre reason most people around here seem to believe the majority of people who own these consoles (excluding Wii) read gaming magazines and look at gaming sites all the time. I'm the only hardcore gamer out of my group of friends that own PS3's. They all have the big know franchise games. RE5, Socom, GTA, Madden, COD's. None of them own KZ2.

Cheech

TTP said:
I have no idea how much it might have affected them, but I'm thinking Killzone 2 demo did more bad than good to sales.

No, it was a great demo. Honestly, in the circles of "normal" gamers I run it, what killed the game was the matchmaking was putrid and the PSN had an awful couple weeks where the thing wouldn't stay up. I don't know if it was a regional server issue specific to the midwest (I didn't see a lot of bitching about it on international forums, so it could have been). Nobody I know who did buy the game still owns it.

If you can't fire up a multiplayer game and easily get into a static party with your friends, the game is as good as worthless.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I don't see BC making that much of an impact.

I expect it will sell decent, right around SFIV numbers. Who knows, maybe the demo could really push it over the edge. Lost Planet 2 should do quite well though.

lawblob said:
I think people get attached to certain sports franchises and don't want to change.

Probably the same thing with people who buy NBA Live. They mostly do it because they have been buying it since 95.
Thats probably it. I had a friend tell me the other day (and he was dead serious) that 2K9 was the better baseball game. Its just pure ignorance.

I wonder how much it sold on PS3. All those people who bought the game on PS3 should cut their thumbs off.

It's clear that consumers aren't willing to budge over the retardedly high $400-500 for a PS3 in the US. Just cut the price Sony, increase your install base so that you can increase the software attachment rate. What the hell is wrong with these people? It's been years since the PS3 has come to market, yet the cost to manufacture is so steep that they are unwilling to cut the consumer a break?

This is such a sad case for Sony, complete domination in the past to total ruination this time around.

At this rate, even if they manage to slash the price by $100, their competitors will remain the cheaper alternative. Here's hoping for a $150 or more price drop extravaganza this upcoming E3.
Not gonna happen of course

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
SuperEnemyCrab said:
I expect it will sell decent, right around SFIV numbers.
Nooooooooo way. SF and RE are blockbuster franchises. Bionic Commando? It'll be very lucky to get half the SF numbers in the first month.

Doubledex

Banned
Blame! said:
since when is a teaser trailer not a part of marketing? :lol

i'd love to know how much sony spent developing KZ2....how long was it in production?
*yawn* So KZ2 is a flop, because it will sell over a million in the USA?
Wow, I love these flops

Kusagari

If Bionic Commando's demo is well received and Capgod ramps up the advertising I think it will do quite well. Maybe 300k+ for the 360 version the first month.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Again, if they could cut the price they already would have. They're not punishing people or waiting for the right stage to say it on. Maybe their hand is forced soon, but they might as well hang on at this point.

I think it means the really long generation is true for Sony at least, and I for one couldn't be happier. It's better for games, and it's obvious they can't afford the R&D and launch costs on another console for awhile. 10 year plan ftw!

fernoca

Scrubking said:
Because the idea that 3rd parties are eagerly standing by just waiting for sales data on one or two Wii games to bring or deny the AAA games is total BS. If that were true then the success of RE4, UC, NMH and WaW would have incited a flood of Wii game announcements and it hasn't happened.
This!!
Many people around here, even the so called analysts..jumping around talking about how GTA bombed on the DS..yet, in reality..how many M-rated games on the DS has been great sellers? Mortal Kombat Ultimate? Midway admitted it sold good, yet it did like 100k..in a few months) For them to actually predict sales, data, info..they needed to study the market, analyze it, see any trends; everything related to how M-rated games on the DS perform, sales-wise.

Yet..it seems they didn't.
Again, I'm talking about his "analysts", not Rockstar..

I'd like to see the sales data, information they got to expect Chinatown Wars to be a big-ass seller on the DS in one month, because if their data consisted on:
-It's named Grand Theft Auto
-It's on the Nintendo DS
They just suck and everyone following them into their whole "<200k..GTA/M rated games don't sell on the DS, DS users don't want mature-games" just sucks as much. :p

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
chubigans said:
The funny thing is we'll STILL see posts that say, "Haw haw wasn't Sony fans saying this was the next PS3 saviour?!!"

I found that behavior both hilarious and sociologically interesting. I have yet to find such (convinced) statements myself. I either have those expressing them on ignore or I just miss them for whatever reason.

Blame!

chubigans said:
Wow...no. :lol

Not at all.

yes. completely. overwhelmingly. :lol

the game got a shitload of press. and it bombed. dont' blame it on the marketing. sony worked hard on it. i thinkt hey should have released it in holiday, not sure why they waited. pretty dumb.

How much do you think piracy effected GTA Chinatown sales?

We always talk about piracy in relation to the PSP, but DS piracy is dramatically easier, yet never seems to be mentioned...

cakefoo

Voltron64 said:
I wasted 15 minutes of my life making that gif. Why use it only once? You trying to say I'm trolling? I loved Killzone...I think I'm going to nut up and try to finish it on the highest difficulty.
The only time I saw you in the Killzone thread was before the game launched... to defend Halo 3. *shrugs* I call it like I see it.

Scrubking said:
Like I said in another thread. The game could be amazing, but you can't overlook the fact that the game resembles the old GTA games that no one cared about and were not popular. If the game looked like GTA3 or any other 3D GTA then there would have been much more interest.
I think the bigger problem is that the game looks completely awful in every conceivable way (at least to my eyes) until you actually play it. I think very few people, including diehard DS fans, would have imagined that the game would have turned out to be this good on the DS's limited hardware. I really would give the game a few months of word of mouth before I declare it a flop. It certainly wouldn't be the first DS game to get off to a slow start.

Averon

chubigans said:
Nooooooooo way. SF and RE are blockbuster franchises. Bionic Commando? It'll be very lucky to get half the SF numbers in the first month.

It also doesn't BC help that the PS3 isn't getting a demo. You'll think Capcom would want as much exposure for this title as possible to maximize sales. Exclusive demos are so f*cking stupid.

Johann

Y2Kev said:
Well, valve spent $10 million on marketing it. Just for that particular note. :D

L4D was an absolute masterpiece in how commercial a shooter it is.

There are very little cinematic sequences that get in the way of repeated playthroughs. You don't have to deal with Micheal Bay-style cinematic sequences with bad voice-acting every time you start a new game. The zombie movie cliches are a blessing in disguise in that players can understand a great deal of exposition without it being forced fed. The story-telling is done through character chatter, the environment, and the player's interaction with the AI director. People will sooner talk about "that moment when that tank came out of no where" rather than some canned B-movie cutscene since they are playing an important part in dictating the story and the action. The game also concentrates on social interaction. Graphics and cinematics will age but interacting with other players at such an intimate level will never get old.

All of this leads, to an easy to digest game that get more, rather than less, valuable the more it is played. This leads to very strong word of mouth in my experience with the game.

Bernbaum

So is the 619K LTD for KZ2 since its release two months ago a strong figure?

Not a stealth troll, I just want some context and perspective for a AAA titles selling that much for this time of year.

Doubledex said:
*yawn* So KZ2 is a flop, because it will sell over a million in the USA?
Wow, I love these flops
As usual the truth is inbetween, not a massive flop, not a huge success, just a good solid hit.

Question is will Sony ever get a game this gen that really breaks out, GT5 probably will be huge but it still shocks me that it taking them over 3 years since launch to get it out.

Top Bottom