• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2009

BlackBond

GlobalSaturation.jpg

Nintendo stomps the competition again and the fanboys around the world go crazy with joy and some with bitter tears of agony.

impactfans.gif

impactfans2.gif

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Thunder Monkey said:
I wasn't really being serious.

Neither is that much of a moneyhog. Unless KZ2 cost over $30 million to make.
When you include the technology and/or extras they produce I'd assume both studios are actually probably quite useful to their owners.

chubigans said:
There was literally no hype going into Killzone 2's marketing/awareness campaign. Yeah, there was internet hype, fat good that did Snakes on a Plane and other internet-hype machines.

There were no Killzone 2 slurpees, no Killzone 2 banners and merchandising, no Killzone 2 brandings on sodas and chips, no Killzone 2 commercials two weeks before launch, nothing. I'm surprised it's doing as well as it is. SCEA completely failed the game from a hype machine perspective. Halo 3 is the only game I've seen that's had a massive ad rollout like KZ2 should have had.

But we're not looking at sales two weeks before launch anymore. I still see KZ2 commercials all the time. All the time.

(That was for EricWK. MIAMI STYLE.)

scitek

The fact that halo Wars sold less than 3 million copies in its first 48 hours proves people knew it wasn't a "normal" Halo game.

Guled

while the software is down a lot YoY, it actually went up a tiny bit Q1 2009 over Q1 2008. So is the recession starting to effect gaming or is it just a one month thing

Kusagari

People are ridiculous with Killzone 2. Comparing it's sales to CoD, the biggest franchise in gaming right now? The game was a sequel to a hyped disappointment considered mediocre at best on PS2. People talk of all this hype, but it didn't exist off the internet at any point. The slow motion commercials they're airing right now aren't exactly amazing either.

Minsc

Gold Member
Weekly NPD sales in relation to last month / march of last year (march = 5 weeks, feb = 4 weeks):

Code:
       |  03/09 |   02/09 | % Change |   03/08 | % Change (compared to 03/09)
PS2    |    22K |     33K |      33% |     43K |      49% 
PS3    |    44K |     69K |      36% |     51K |      14% 
PSP    |    34K |     50K |      32% |     59K |      42% 
NDS    |   113K |    147K |      23% |    140K |      19% 
360    |    66K |     98K |      33% |     52K |      27% 
Wii    |   120K |    188K |      36% |    144K |      17%

Red signifies a decrease, black increase.

Damn, everything is down this month, compared against last month and compared against march last year, except the 360 yoy for the month.

GhaleonEB said:
* snip *
For the new page. I'm really surprised at the month over month drops for hardware. It's entirely out of step with seasonal norms.
It's actually worse than that. March 09 is a 5 week month so vs Feb the sales are around a third down.

(Edit - Beaten by post above)

dexterslu

We are finally seeing the Nintendo Express slow down, although I think the DSi numbers will look big for the first month and then peter out afterwords..

Is anyone equating this to Nintendo finally meeting an equilibrium in the market? or are we using the tried and true "Economic Downturn" argument?

Has Wii Play finally petered out? only to be taken over by Wii Sports 2? :( oh god.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Mamesj said:
Puny earthlings, KZ2 was not the real savior. Just wait for Heavy Rain. The world is ready for a spiritual successor to Dragon's Lair.
Serious question, has one of these posts ever been done by an actual Sony fan? You people are parodying something that doesn't even exist.

Eric WK

Y2Kev said:
I've already acknowledged it was a good point, but in terms of demographic targeting, people downloading and playing demos are not specifically who I'm talking about-- I mean, consider the volume moved of the third game.

But the issue here isn't how well Halo Wars sold or the reasons why it did. The issue is the performance of Killzone 2 relative to Sony's and our expectations.

tzare

poppabk said:
I don't own a 360 or a PS3 and have no vested interest in this at all, but it seems ridiculous that people are whooping up 938k as amazing and at the same time 600k is supposed to be a bomba.
agree

I also what did people expect with ps3 numbers if it costs 400 bucks while leading 360 is much lower.

Good numbers for KZ2, not great but just fine after overall disappointment from original KZ.
Great numbers for Halo Wars, i wonder how many copies were sold because of having 'halo' on the title :D

Well done MLB the show.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
sykoex said:
Serious question, has one of these posts ever been done by an actual Sony fan? You people are parodying something that doesn't even exist.

How long you been around these parts?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Kusagari said:
People are ridiculous with Killzone 2. Comparing it's sales to CoD, the biggest franchise in gaming right now? The game was a sequel to a hyped disappointment considered mediocre at best on PS2. People talk of all this hype, but it didn't exist off the internet at any point. The slow motion commercials they're airing right now aren't exactly amazing either.
Pretty much. There might be commercials all the time now, but the time for the hype train leading up to launch has come and gone. There's no way to ever get that back, and the massive sales that would have benefited from it.

BenjaminBirdie said:
How? How do people keep saying this? I see Killzone ads several times a day. I remember Sony uploading some kind of like interactive version of the commercial to PSN so people could literally zoom around in it and soak in the details. They CLEARLY put a lot of thought, money, and energy into that campaign and thought the visuals would stun everyone out of their seats.

People keep saying this with everything PS3 related.

If only the system had more marketing.

If only LBP had more marketing.

If only Resistance had more marketing.

Its become its own excuse meme.

Suddenly Sony has become a tiny company that apparently doesn't advertise anymore.

Kusagari said:

I thought compared to a lot of the commercials Sony has done this gen that one was pretty good.
Except for R&C that was great stuff.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
sykoex said:

Serious question, are you serious ?

GhaleonEB

Psychotext said:
It's actually worse than that. March 09 is a 5 week month so vs Feb the sales are around a third down.

(Edit - Beaten by post above)
Yikes, that's right. Weekly sales rate drove off a cliff.

[Nintex]

Thunder Monkey said:
I wasn't really being serious.

Neither is that much of a moneyhog. Unless KZ2 cost over $30 million to make.
In the Netherlands, development costs of KZ2 were estimated to be over 40 million Euro.

BenjaminBirdie said:
But we're not looking at sales two weeks before launch anymore. I still see KZ2 commercials all the time. All the time.

(That was for EricWK. MIAMI STYLE.)
Yeah, on Spike during some UFC matches and of course Comedy Central and Cartoon Network. Sony really has no clue on how to reach and audience.

Cruzader

Banned
Kusagari said:
People are ridiculous with Killzone 2. Comparing it's sales to CoD(and halo), the biggest franchise in gaming right now? The game was a sequel to a hyped disappointment considered mediocre at best on PS2. People talk of all this hype, but it didn't exist off the internet at any point. The slow motion commercials they're airing right now aren't exactly amazing either.

This.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
dexterslu said:
We are finally seeing the Nintendo Express slow down, although I think the DSi numbers will look big for the first month and then peter out afterwords..

Has Wii Play finally petered out? only to be taken over by Wii Sports 2? :( oh god.
This is the first month in which we can finally say that the Wii is no longer supply constrained, the "Nintendo Express" may be losing a bit of Steam, but unlike the competition they are just a flick of the switch away from epic sales spikes like the DS enjoyed.

We still have to see the Wii Colours, which will sell BILLIONS, the price is still the same as at launch and a price drop will see Wii sell TRILLIONS and if Wii Sports Resort is received like I think it might, well I'll need to make up a new word because I can't remember what comes after trillion.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I think that the selling of GTA and Madworld or lackthereof is going to hold serious ramifications for those types of games on Nintendo consoles in the future.

hulot said:
Why are people backpedalling? 'Of course Halo Wars would do better than Killzone'? Imagine saying that before either game was released, when the forum was flooded with glowing eyes blubbering about some messianic resurrection of the PS3.

Months ago the forum was split between skeptics that thought KZ would sell "well" but only give the PS3 a small bump in sales and believers that thought KZ would be a game changer.

Now that Killzone has come and moved no consoles at all, it seems to still magically been good enough.

Well I guess PS3 sales could go lower not that KZ2 is done selling.

Stoney Mason said:
People keep saying this with everything PS3 related.

If only the system had more marketing.

If only LBP had more marketing.

If only Resistance had more marketing.

Its become its own excuse meme.

Suddenly Sony has become a tiny company that apparently doesn't advertise anymore.

Yeah, it's bullshit. I absolutely see more commercials for KZ2 than any 360 exclusive. More than I saw for GTA: TLAD, I think even a smidge more than I see for RE5.

Barrett2

Really, how can KZ2 be considered anything but a failure?

1 million and change for one of the most expensive, most hyped, and most "anticipated" games of this generation just isn't good.

I have played the game 45 hours, so I am obviously a PS3-hating troll, BTW.

sykoex said:
At the start it was a Sonyfan mantra. Now it's only good for jokes and ridicule.

Cimarron

I'm really happy about RE5 and Halo Wars. KZ2 is kinda depressing. I wish it sold more. Mama Robotnik that gif is so cold! :lol

Gaborn

joey_z said:
I think it could be argued that it's a catch-22 from a business perspective as well. Sony does not desire to be stuck in the situation they're stuck in and there's no conventional tactic they could employ that would ensure they beat the competition. If they choose to stick to the price point they've stuck with, then not only do they stand to lose out on possible profit but they also risk future market share.

The point is that this generation has now materialized into a predictable market as all generations eventually do. This means in order for Sony (in the current generation) to get out of the rut they're in they need to revitalize the Playstation brand with riskier moves. And let's not say it can't be done. Afterall, the market leader this generation is testament to that fact.

Of course Sony would like to improve their sales, but they want to do it in a way that generates them more cash at the same time they're increasing sales. Just because you could technically DO a price drop of say $100 does not mean it's going to generate you more profit. If Sony feels it will do that then great, I'm sure they'd drop the price as fast as they could. Remember that at this point realistically first place is out of reach and second place is... well, practically speaking would take a lot more added value in addition to a $100 cut and is just not practical for Sony. So, again, if their costs are low enough they'd get more profit by increasing sales with a price cut then great. If not, I don't see them doing it.

kassatsu

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
How? How do people keep saying this? I see Killzone ads several times a day. I remember Sony uploading some kind of like interactive version of the commercial to PSN so people could literally zoom around in it and soak in the details. They CLEARLY put a lot of thought, money, and energy into that campaign and thought the visuals would stun everyone out of their seats.
That came out 2 weeks ago on Psn. So I wouldn't really factor that into if it pushes sales.

Agent Icebeezy said:
I think that the selling of GTA and Madworld or lackthereof is going to hold serious ramifications for those types of games on Nintendo consoles in the future.

GTA, maybe (depending on expectations and actual sales).
Madworld... any developer expecting it to sell gangbusters wasn't right in the head.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Agent Icebeezy said:

Well let's see how they did. If MadWorld did above 100K I think that's pretty decent. If it did like 40K then I think we can call it a preliminary bomba.

Cruzader

Banned
Kandrick said:
Serious question, are you serious ?
yes, didnt you read what a some guys just posted? He said "inFamous" is the next "savior of the PS3" just to be an ass. Thats how the whole thing started.

legend166

dexterslu said:

Is anyone equating this to Nintendo finally meeting an equilibrium in the market? or are we using the tried and true "Economic Downturn" argument?

Well, the fact that everything is down gives credence to the economic argument. It's not like people have stopped buying Wiis and started buying other things.

VALIS

scitek said:
The fact that halo Wars sold less than 3 million copies in its first 48 hours proves people knew it wasn't a "normal" Halo game.

Bingo. Did the Halo name help Halo Wars' sales? Sure, I'd assume so. Did the Halo name make the game's sales? No way. Purely anecdotal, but on the hockey website/forum I own, tons of people were blabbing about Halo 3 and setting up matches when it come out. None of them were interested in Halo Wars. Not a one. A lot of Halo Wars' sales probably went to the hybrid 360/PC gamer (like me).

No GTA: Chinatown in the top 10 is surprising and kinda disappointing. Maybe it's 11! ;)

I'm sure it will sell very well over time, though.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Eric WK said:
But the issue here isn't how well Halo Wars sold or the reasons why it did. The issue is the performance of Killzone 2 relative to Sony's and our expectations.
I'm not comparing the two; I haven't mentioned Killzone 2 at all. You don't really mean "the issue is the performance of Killzone 2 relative to Sony's...expectations," because you don't know what they are.

I've already used the word "spectacular" to describe how it performed. I don't really think comparing Halo Wars to Killzone 2 really yields particularly useful information.

Yes, I agree with this. I mentioned the genre being "priced in" to the sales. What I'm contending-- or rather, interested in discussing-- is that the sales are impressive or not given its genre. I think they are, but undoubtedly there are other factors.

Nif

People are ridiculous with Killzone 2. Comparing it's sales to CoD(and halo), the biggest franchise in gaming right now? The game was a sequel to a hyped disappointment considered mediocre at best on PS2. People talk of all this hype, but it didn't exist off the internet at any point. The slow motion commercials they're airing right now aren't exactly amazing either.

How many people do you know who play videogames and don't use the internet? This isn't 1998.

[Nintex]

Cruzader said:
yes, didnt you read what a some guys just posted? He said "inFamous" is the next "savior of the PS3" just to be an ass. Thats how the whole thing started.
I think it started with Virtua Fighter or Folklore in Japan, I'm not sure.

Top Bottom