• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2014 [Up4: FFX/X-2 HD]

PerZona

Looks like Titanfall can't stop the streak! What a beast. Next month's sales will be interesting too, wonder how many copies FFXIV would sell.

Is there any official numbers of how many copies did Ground Zeroes sold?

but did it sell 370.9K, which is good, or 371K, which is amazing?
JtP873g.gif

LOL! NPD threads always bring the funnies. Still no solid WiiU estimates?

RPGamer92

Banned
Yeah I totally forgot there was no commercials on t.v. Well either way it doesn't seem like any of the new games sold all that well. I can't really see what AAA game is going to come close to matching titanfall sales except the usaul yearly franchises.
According to creamsugar, inFamous sold more than 500K in the US and according to Sony over 1 million WW. Titanfall also sold double inFamous's US amount. And upcoming games like Destiny, Watch Dogs, Arkham Knight, and Uncharted 4 will sell even more.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
And what will Nintendo do? Nothing. All of the senior management team will keep their jobs, and nothing will change.

Nintendo can handle a failure or two, CEOs don't get the boot for a single misstep. Otherwise Kaz Hirai would have been fired two or three times already

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Recap (Correct me if I'm wrong):

Xbone: 311k
PS4: 371k
Wii U + Wii < 100k (ratio was ~3.43:1 last month)
Vita near 10k
3DS: ???
PS3: ???
360: 111k

EDIT: Anyone who thinks Xbone and PS4 have unhealthy sales are overreacting.

The xbox numbers are mostly worrying from an industry leader point of view. Microsoft likes to set industry standards and they like to benefit from the money those raise because it's basically free fucking money and they can get away with it when they're everyone's favorite system.

Now they're not at the top of the mountain and are still going "Hey, you need to give is $60 a year for an intangible key that lets you do anything," They need to get on their knees and thank the stars Sony decided to follow them down the multiplayer-paywall hole, because otherwise they would have absolutely no argument whatsoever for Xbox Live Gold.

I wonder what changes are going to happen in the next few months until E3. I get the feeling they're going to really reconsider how they approach consumers.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

Do I smell Bish monitoring this thread? RUN AWAY!

In all seriousness though, Microsoft is gonna pick up the pace this E3 for sure cause of this. Sadly it might be them announcing games that won't be complete for another 2-3 years or they may even throw out money and buy out companies. Worked in the past, let us see if it works now.

FFX/X-2 numbers?
More than Lightning Returns that did less than 165K.

Almost more than XIII-2 confuses me, as XIII-2 did more than Amalur which did 330K, which is more than MGS which did 280K, but did more than FFXHD...

NPD is like one of those high school math and logic problems now.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
A demo which took me 5 hours on first run through

It took me under two hours and I hadn't played a Metal Gear game since 2008 (and didn't much before that) and didn't use the map.

BlackJace

What was FFXIII-2's first month? LR was <165K. Range for FFXHD.

Health and wellness technology is a huge market
which I have little confidence Nintendo can really make huge in-roads into.
I don't know if QoL is a backdoor, but I don't really see where in recent history one can point to Nintendo reacting to this sort of competition combatively.

They've never done so because it was never possible, I suppose. Nintendo simply cannot go head to head with the other two like Sony and Microsoft are doing to each either. The companies are bigger and badder.

Of course, I can't be certain what you mean by combatively, but if you mean to say taking the necessary steps to accurately read the market next go around: it's anyone's guess. We can discuss all night about what they should/will do, but they simply do what they want...

Even if the vita dies, I think I got my money out of it pretty well. Something like 9 retail games, and twice that digital, plus the ps+ stuff.

No real contest for me. Really wish they woudl have, you know, actually tried to market the damn thing, and hadn't made the stupid choice of memory cards.

Nintendo can handle a failure or two, CEOs don't get the boot for a single misstep. Otherwise Kaz Hirai would have been fired two or three times already

How many years of double digit declines in sales and profits does it take before it stops being "a failure or two"?

Seriously, what was the last good decision the management at Nintendo made?

Toth

Outselling Lightning Returns, which they marketed to hell and beyond, counts a lot here. XIII-2 was released at a time when the series still had popularity.

Marketed to hell? What? All they did were release some gameplay trailers, some website splashings here and there, and I saw a whooping one kiosk for it at every gamestop I went too. FFX got the same treatment. I never saw one commercial for LR or one magazine ad for it lol.

edit: what series are we talking about? Did you miss the news that FFXIV now has 2 million subscribers....? If you mean 13, well, that is a clear sign of series fatigue.

Delio

Even if the vita dies, I think I got my money out of it pretty well. Something like 9 retail games, and twice that digital, plus the ps+ stuff.

No real contest for me. Really wish they woudl have, you know, actually tried to market the damn thing, and hadn't made the stupid choice of memory cards.

I do wish Sony would have put effort into it. I know I want to pick one up when it's cheap with a ton of jrpgs im missing on it.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
The beginning of the WiiU and 3DS count as two failures, not one.

yeah, lets count initial months when judging a product's performance. That would be such a smart tactic
he steered the ship and now the 3DS is doing acceptably. Did Sony do the same?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I don't think the QoL market is big enough for Nintendo to retreat gaming.

This whole QoL scheme will just be another failed attempt by Iwata to have another Wii like success.

The worrying symptom is that Nintendo management is still living the delusion that the Wii and DS massive success is something they can manufacture and replicate.

ramuh

Glad to see TF doing well. This is hopefully give them the platform to do bigger and better things on TF2 (hopefully on PS4). Paid off for EA as well. Seeing as to them it was only guaranteed money and retail sales to equal the loss of SIMS income (mentioned in shareholder meeting). I'd say they will make that money and probably more back. In hindsight more money would have been made if it was on PS4 but they took a calculated risk to get guaranteed income vs. uncertainty. IMO

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
How many years of double digit declines in sales and profits does it take before it stops being "a failure or two"?

Seriously, what was the last good decision the management at Nintendo made?

Recent initiative of IP licensing (Google, Adidas, Penzoil, etc.)? That's the only one that comes to mind currently though.

DeaviL

Banned
That Vita i bought did kind of have a rotting sent about it, guess there wasn't all that much Vita left in it...

Where can i find numbers for Europe? I need to see if we're still worthy of ports

Top Bottom