• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2014 [Up4: FFX/X-2 HD]

cafemomo

Marketed to hell? What? All they did were release some gameplay trailers, some website splashings here and there, and I saw a whooping one kiosk for it at every gamestop I went too. FFX got the same treatment. I never saw one commercial for LR or one magazine ad for it lol.

It was marketed to hell in Japan.

but not here in the us

crinale

How many years of double digit declines in sales and profits does it take before it stops being "a failure or two"?

Seriously, what was the last good decision the management at Nintendo made?

By looking GAF obviously his decision has been making some Nintendo fans happy so there's that :D

Bruno MB

6. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (Konami) < 280,000
7. NBA 2K14 (Take-Two Interactive)
8. Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster (Square Enix)

Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX sold in its first month around 273,000 units so it's highly likely that Kingdom Hearts once again beat Final Fantasy.

Sandfox

This whole QoL scheme will just be another failed attempt by Iwata to have another Wii like success.

The worrying symptom is that Nintendo management is still living the delusion that the Wii and DS massive success is something they can manufacture and replicate.
We know nothing about their QoL product yet and I really doubt they'll attempt another Wii U in the future.
And what will Nintendo do? Nothing. All of the senior management team will keep their jobs, and nothing will change.

Businesses like to make money so they'll do something.

catmario

Never end story HD: PS3/PSV = 4/1

XBO megaton / PS4 megaton > 2/1 (Include bundle)

green dinosaur: SW+HW < 160k

2:<350k, PS3 ~ 51%
5 demo: <280k, PS4 ~ 54%, XBO ~ 20%, PS3 ~ 19%

Comedy Central < 440k, 360 ~ 55%

Do you care about PC? Read the list in the first page.

Yes, and PS4 megaton < 0.5m

Oh, and vita is officially dead. Very close to 4 digits.

Wii + Wii U < 100k -__-

Thank you creamsugar! It was big and good information!

As an Xbox One owner, I can't wait to get my hands on a PS4 as well, this generation is off to a good start and gona fucking rock. Cheers gamers! We're doing it right! I must thank the PS4 too, without you Microsoft probably wouldn't have hired a gamer guy as head of Xbox. TEAM GAF FTW!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
nice to see that sony is buying its own hardware....

You'd think they would at least have the decency to buy a couple thousand Vitas then.

RIP Vita :(. You were too good for this side of the world, may Japan and indie games fuel you for many more years even if you cant actually buy the thing anywhere after its discontinued.

It's doing much better than the 360 did. That's not bad. Unless of course worldwide for you means everywhere except the USA?

back then it was hard to put out as much consoles and 360 was supply constrained till may 2006. i would hope xbox one is ahead. if it was doing fine there is no way MS includes titanfall for free and even discounts and stealth price cut the console. they even covered the 4.2 consumer sales with shipped for it could look a bit less bad.

Hero

So Bravely Default outsold FFX/X-2 HD as well in the first month?

Speaking of which, how did Bravely Default hold up in its second month?

It's doing much better than the 360 did. That's not bad. Unless of course worldwide for you means everywhere except the USA?

Why should the sales of a 3rd generation product of a popular, well-established brand be measured comparatively against the sales of a 2nd generation product of a relatively popular, but still undeniably 2nd fiddle and less-established brand?

It's like comparing the sales of iPhone 3GS vs iPhone 4 or 5. For the i4/5 to do i3gs numbers would be a disgrace.

Please, please be a joke post! I'm begging.

Believe what you want it won't change the reality.
tumblr_myq8oizdAf1sfxh6io1_500.gif

Wii U + Wii < 100k (ratio was ~3.43:1 last month)
That ratio looks wrong to me...
They've never done so because it was never possible, I suppose. Nintendo simply cannot go head to head with the other two like Sony and Microsoft are doing to each either. The companies are bigger and badder.

Of course, I can't be certain what you mean by combatively, but if you mean to say taking the necessary steps to accurately read the market next go around: it's anyone's guess. We can discuss all night about what they should/will do, but they simply do what they want...
That's the point. They're a highly conservative company, hoarding large cash piles rather than investing those retained earnings from what I recall out of fear of either collapse or take-over. When they've encountered strong, fierce competition, I'm under the impression they'd rather avoid it entirely and instead pursued uncontested (or at least perceived uncontested markets). They zig when others zag, and I don't think the impetus is always as you suggest, because they want to, but rather at least in part because they think the need to. So I find the idea that they're going to take this market failure as a message to modify and adapt to the current console market and try to appeal to the "core" again, somewhat optimistic.

Hubble

Even if the vita dies, I think I got my money out of it pretty well. Something like 9 retail games, and twice that digital, plus the ps+ stuff.

No real contest for me. Really wish they woudl have, you know, actually tried to market the damn thing, and hadn't made the stupid choice of memory cards.

The Vita was just simply too expensive to be successful especially with the addition of memory cards.

The XBO will be price dropped at e3.

Road

More than Lightning Returns that did less than 165K.

Almost more than XIII-2 confuses me, as XIII-2 did more than Amalur which did 330K, which is more than MGS which did 280K, but did more than FFXHD...

NPD is like one of those high school math and logic problems now.

Well, NPD constantly changes stuff retroactively, so maybe FFXIII-2 was lowered from 350k or something. Or maybe John Harker misremembered.

Anyway, Lightning ends the generation as one of its most memorable jokes. Her fans should be happy, not angry, that their games were so controversial and bombed. She will not be forgotten.

What about 3DS, though? Down yoy, but we could use a better ballpark...

Prompto

Banned
6. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (Konami) < 280,000
7. NBA 2K14 (Take-Two Interactive)
8. Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster (Square Enix)

Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX sold in its first month around 273,000 units so it's highly likely that Kingdom Hearts once again beat Final Fantasy.
Nice. Kingdom Hearts 3 should do very well
when it releases in late 2016.

~~Hasan~~

Fully expecting a Kinectless Xbox One for $350 at E3.

i really hope not. it will really kill the xbox one.

the whole xbox experience is because of kinect. in the sense that it what makes the system different.

i am not really happy with this news and i own both systems ps4 and xbox one.

but to see one system sells less than the other even tho the price dropped and released a big game just because that system is selling based on hype alone is kinda sad.

again, i own both systems. and not i only love my playstation 4, i adore it. but at the end of the day i play games on it. and currently xbox one just released a big profile game i expected the xbox one to out sell it

Marketed to hell? What? All they did were release some gameplay trailers, some website splashings here and there, and I saw a whooping one kiosk for it at every gamestop I went too. FFX got the same treatment. I never saw one commercial for LR or one magazine ad for it lol.

edit: what series are we talking about? Did you miss the news that FFXIV now has 2 million subscribers....? If you mean 13, well, that is a clear sign of series fatigue.
Dude, Before LR release, there were tons of gameplay trailers, a whole behind the scene documentary, a old school retro trailer, a live action commercial, gameplay info coming almost every week, Nomura's Art Contest and potentially more stuff that i might have missed on it. SE did their best to shove that game everywhere. Compared to LR, X|X-2 HD didn't really get properly marketing until after LR was released. Heck, i am sure they delayed X|X-2 HD to give more spotlight to LR, since it was supposed to release in Feb before X|X-2 HD. They did this despite the original game already having the english localization, which we saw in the form of a simple CFW hack on the Jap Ver for PS3.

As for the "series" remark, I was talking solely about XIII as a series.

DaBoss

I don't begrudge the posts being isolated to a few topics, since most of them seem fairly sane and reasonable.

Some people crack under the pressure of being legit shook by NPDs, unfortunately.
Still is crazy to react that way. Enjoyment out of a product is not affected by how much it sells lol.

crinale

Actually XB1 and Titanfall did sell notably well. IMO it's worth trumpeting about.
Is MS rather subtle just because XB1 didn't beat PS4?

KoopaTheCasual

Fixed

PS4 is healthy WW. Xbone not so much.
XB1 from a strictly numbers perspective is doing great. However, the same can be said for the PS4 in Japan. Both of these situations have a common big problem. The sale slowdown is steep. The fact that the XB1 sold worse week-for-week than it did in February, even with bundling, Titanfall, and discounts is kind of scary.

A_Gorilla

Banned
Vita's numbers are expected. Heartbreaking, but expected. I hope the 2000 release will at least give it one last gasp.

Wii U though...

So getting up to GC numbers seems out of the question now, can it at least beat the Dreamcast, or hell even the Game Gear (10 million)?

Marleyman

Banned
As an Xbox One owner currently only, this stuff doesn't bother me either way. I am having a blast with my new system and have purchased more digital content in less than a year then I did almost all of last gen. I look forward to my PS4 purchase in May for MLB The Show and anything else that comes out on both systems.

Also, posts that say "PS4 Nation" and shit like that are so fucking dumb.

Top Bottom