• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2007

You know I was just thinking that the biggest problem for Manhunt 2 is that it can't possibly do for the Wii what GTA3 did for the PS2. When people walked into a games store and saw GTA3, many were like "Holy Shit!, I've got to get a PS2 for this game!". If we now assume that those same people aren't already in the Wii's userbase, what's going to happen when they walk into the game store now.. "Holy Shit! I've got to get a Wii for this game!... What's that? You have no Wiis because everyone already bought them to play Wii Sports and Mario Party? Oh well there's always the PS2 version..."

Maybe my scenario is a little overplayed but it still stands that while Wii Sports is the driving factor for Wii sales the demographic that would like to buy these high profile 3rd party games are going to be out of luck until Nintendo can get more systems on shelves.

Lion Heart said:
Worldwide its close, So no, they didnt put a knife in sony. Imo 360 is in no better than Sony, if not worse.

Dude . . .

map_nile2nubia.JPG

imastalker co. said:
you seriously think, that a Harry Potter game, in which the controller acts like a wand, on the best selling system, which also caters to the kid market, is going to bomb?

Let me clarify. When I say "title of death", I mean a title which has the potential to explode in sales. I am excited for that damn game myself.

Krowley

Saint Gregory said:
Maybe my scenario is a little overplayed but it still stands that while Wii Sports is the driving factor for Wii sales the demographic that would like to buy these high profile 3rd party games are going to be out of luck until Nintendo can get more systems on shelves.

That's a great point.. If the manunt type of buyer hasn't purchased a wii yet, he's going to have a hell of a time finding one and that could limit the sales of certain games until demand and supply come together a bit more.

AniHawk said:
Well you'll probably need another one anyway.

Im on my launch 360. I dont fear nothing, my 360 is invincible to God himself.

Specu, Lol, thats a good pic, but what i ment was, its got a lower price, more games, and its not doing enough. The 360 deserves way more than 150k, so I dont think they are in a great position.

Odysseus

Banned
Grecco said:
When are you getting one? :D

there's a race.

microsoft has to get to $50 with the current build of xbox 360, or possibly $299 with a build that actually works. sony has to get to $199 on the ps3. nintendo has to get to $99 on the wii, and it would be used exclusively for virtual console.

i'm only getting one.

go.

AniHawk said:
Odysseus isn't a 360.

ohsnap.gif

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Krowley said:
On this question of whether or not 3rd party games can sell on wii....

We should have a good measuring stick soon.. Manhunt 2 is getting lots of hype, it's been well marketed... It's a hardcore type of game. It's probably going to get good reviews based on the current journalist buzz.. It's being made to take full advantage of the wiimote.

That game has every advantage and should sell very nicley. If it doesn't then I would start to take some of the naysayers seriously on the subject of 3rd party's and the wii.
Then you might as well start taking them seriously now. There is no way Manhunt 2 is going to sell nicely.

It's not a huge series. It has a very limited appeal even among the hardcore crowd; that'll be even more limited with the Wii userbase. The only way I can see this doing nicely is if it gets tons of contraversy about it.

It's biggest problem is that it still has to contend with everything else out there. In the new suckified NPD, we get just the ranking of only 20 (30 at most) games. It has to compete against Pokemon, Wii Play, Guitar Heros, Spiderman 3, Harry Potter, NCAA Football, Mario Striker, its PS2 version, and who knows what else for fewer slot than we get from Japan or UK sales charts. Chances are we will never know exactly how this game performed. You need to decide what "very nicely" means. To me, if it charts at all that'll be "Amazing!"... If it outsells the PS2 version, I will say "WOW!"

I would use Harry Potter has a better comparison. It's has same traits as MH2, plus broader appeal, it'll most definately rank and it has 360/PS3 versions for direct comparisons.

Krowley

You know how all the PS3 guys were like "just wait for virtua fighter!!!"

On the 360 it's "just wait for halo and GTA"

The big difference is that the 360 one is for real. Those two games will make it sell like crazy over the holidays.. I can even imagine total 360 sellouts and ebay prices going crazy for a while. A price cut around the same time would make it sell even better but those two games are absolutly system selling killer apps.

I would say that nintendo will still outsell them over the holidays worldwide because of mario and all the other good games that are coming out, but MS has a very good chance to sell the most in america during that period and possibly keep the wii from passing them in NA for a while longer.

Norse

360 numbers are down too much. I wonder if they would be higher if MS would have just released a larger hdd for 149 and never brought out the elite. Never see any elites at local stores so I wonder if people are waiting for those.

I also think MS is waiting for Sony to blink first with price cuts. That could be foolish IMO. Drop the core to 199, prem to 329. Ditch elite.

Krowley said:
I can even imagine total 360 sellouts and ebay prices going crazy for a while.

"Wait, whuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut?"
- Philly Boy Roy

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
mclem said:
Wait for E3.

No, don't get me wrong, I don't think Sony or Microsoft have anything they can pull out of the bag to turn it around. Nintendo has it...

Except they *do* kinda have a habit of shooting themselves in the foot.

If Nintendo do a competent E3 presentation, they'll have it. If they screw up when the world's eyes are on them, then Sony and MS have hope. Not much, I must stress that, but hope:

The market is now Nintendo's to lose.

10 years pal.. this E3 will be as irrelevant as it comes. It's not the same as last year, all consoles are on the market, we have solid figures, the show itself is less significant.

Actually, I think Nintendo will "lose" E3, so to speak. But they're still meant to do this, same with Sony in march 2000, did you see that one?

C4Lukins

Norse said:
360 numbers are down too much. I wonder if they would be higher if MS would have just released a larger hdd for 149 and never brought out the elite. Never see any elites at local stores so I wonder if people are waiting for those.

I also think MS is waiting for Sony to blink first with price cuts. That could be foolish IMO. Drop the core to 199, prem to 329. Ditch elite.

I think they should go Core 225 with Viva Pinata and memory card. Premium 325 with Kameo or PGR3. They would be promoting games that are no longer selling that will have sequels, detard the Core, and make both SKU's competitive with the Wii. Add HDMI to all of them and everyone is happy.

Lion Heart said:
Specu, Lol, thats a good pic, but what i ment was, its got a lower price, more games, and its not doing enough. The 360 deserves way more than 150k, so I dont think they are in a great position.

I agree that the 360 sales were pretty weak . . . but they were double the PS3 sales, so to say they are in the same boat as the PS3 is just wrong.

I've been thinking that MSFT would hold off until November before a price cut so they can get full-price sales from all the Halo 3 & GTA buyers. But they might want to reconsider that strategy and cut the price much sooner in order to put up a fight against the Wii.

Krowley

JJConrad said:
Then you might as well start taking them seriously now. There is no way Manhunt 2 is going to sell nicely.

It's not a huge series. It has a very limited appeal even among the hardcore crowd; that'll be even more limited with the Wii userbase. The only way I can see this doing nicely is if it gets tons of contraversy about it.

It's biggest problem is that it still has to contend with everything else out there. In the new suckified NPD, we get just the ranking of only 20 (30 at most) games. It has to compete against Pokemon, Wii Play, Guitar Heros, Spiderman 3, Harry Potter, NCAA Football, Mario Striker, its PS2 version, and who knows what else for fewer slot than we get from Japan or UK sales charts. Chances are we will never know exactly how this game performed. You need to decide what "very nicely" means. To me, if it charts at all that'll be "Amazing!"... If it outsells the PS2 version, I will say "WOW!"

I would use Harry Potter has a better comparison. It's has same traits as MH2, plus broader appeal, it'll most definately rank and it has 360/PS3 versions for direct comparisons.

Well it's kind of hard to decode what "very nicley" means because I suck at actual numbers and I don't even know what the first one sold..

I suppose i would expect to see it in the top ten somewhere for the month, but I'm currently under the impression that it's coming out during a very dry month for wii games, if that's not true, then I'm probably overestimating.. Based on what I've read about the game I do expect the shock factor + word of mouth to help a lot. The media buzz is very good on the game and traditional gamers in the wii userbase don't have that many games to choose from right now.

I have no doubt that harry potter will sell like crazy but to me that's less of a test because harry potter fits squarley into the wii catalog. It will be interesting to see how it does compared to the other console versions, but I have little doubt that it will probably sell best...

But, if something like manhunt can sell, that will silence all the "3rd party games don't sell on wii" talk while simultaneously putting the kybosh on the idea that wii owners don't want hardcore games. If it doesn't sell, it will only add ammuntion to both those arguments. So I would say it's a pretty important release in some ways.

Branduil

Krowley said:

The big difference is that the 360 one is for real. Those two games will make it sell like crazy over the holidays.. I can even imagine total 360 sellouts and ebay prices going crazy for a while. A price cut around the same time would make it sell even better but those two games are absolutly system selling killer apps.

I would say that nintendo will still outsell them over the holidays worldwide because of mario and all the other good games that are coming out, but MS has a very good chance to sell the most in america during that period and possibly keep the wii from passing them in NA for a while longer.

If people were anticipating those games that much 360 sales would already be crazy.

Only a price drop will help the hardware.

Krowley

BenjaminBirdie said:
"Wait, whuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut?"
- Philly Boy Roy

Happened to the ps2 more than once during the holiday season over the years...

The 360 will be a hot item this christmas.. No question about it. There may not be a sellout, but I wouldn't be surprised by one.

felipeko

Krowley said:

I would say that nintendo will still outsell them over the holidays worldwide because of Nintendo having more consoles coming out, but MS has a very good chance to sell the most in america during that period and possibly keep the wii from passing them in NA for a while longer.
Fixed.

Odysseus

Banned
Krowley said:
Happened to the ps2 more than once during the holiday season over the years...

The 360 will be a hot item this christmas.. No question about it. There may not be a sellout, but I wouldn't be surprised by one.

if microsoft is dumb enough to leave 360 at 299/399/479, there will be pyramids of 360s inside best buys on december 26.

fortunately, i believe a price drop will certainly be unveiled somewhere between this very instant and the end of microsoft's e3 presser.

D3MO

Banned
Seeing 360 Software sales so good...I have a feeling MS buys like 100,000-250,000 Copies of each 3rd party game and just burns them...they have the moneys and it makes 3rd party publishers more likeley to bring games over....

THE MORE YOU KNOW shootingstar.jpg

Krowley said:

Both games will definitely help sell 360 systems . . . but 360 sell-outs? No. Just no.

(GTA will help sell PS3s too.)

Bildi

BloodAdo said:
Seeing 360 Software sales so good...I have a feeling MS buys like 100,000-250,000 Copies of each 3rd party game and just burns them...they have the moneys and it makes 3rd party publishers more likeley to bring games over....

THE MORE YOU KNOW shootingstar.jpg
:lol That's an incredible theory. Stupid, but incredible.

Top Bottom